What was the name of the school?

4,427 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by taxpreparer
MisUnderstood
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What's now AMCMS (A&M Consolidated Middle School) across the street from Oakwood Intermediate (formerly Oakwood when I went there).

Does anybody know what AMCMS was named before? Was it just "Jr High"? In the 80's.
forgian
?? Willow Branch ??
starbuck128
AG
Willow Branch wasn't open in the 80s. It was built in the early 90s. My memory is fuzzy, but I know it was definitely under construction in 1991.
Aggie
AG
Pretty sure it was just College Station Jr High.

Aggie
AG
Believe .. 1990 was the last year 7th and 8th graders went to the old junior high. Spring of 1990 they moved into the new junior high on rock prairie .

[This message has been edited by Aggie (edited 12/6/2012 5:13p).]
girlmom3
I thought it was A&M Consolidated Junior High?
iloveAP
AG
You mean when they were the Kittens?!
AggiePhil
AG
I guess CSISD doesn't have a history section on their website?
MisUnderstood
YES!!!!! When they were the Kittens. A&M Consolidated Jr High sounds familiar. I even asked the principal and he didn't know. I don't believe it was CS Junior High.

Anybody else?
SA-AG72
AG
I went to Lamar in Bryan back in the early 60s. CSISD never had their act together when it came to naming schools.
Vinnie C
A&M Consolidated Junior High. We were the kittens and played 7th grade basketball in this awesome old gym in the field next to Oakwood.
iloveAP
AG
I can't even imagine a boys team huddle and then "Kittens on 3, 1-2-3 KITTENS" and then break!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
awesome old gym in the field next to Oakwood.

That old gym was called "The Alamo'. That was not the official name but that is what everyone called it.

The school was called A&M Consolidated Junior High. I think (not positive) it was A&M Consolidated High School before AMC High School was built on it's present location.

The football stadium and baseball stadium were on the same site. It was a horrible football field. There was no drainage and you could end up playing in ankle deep water if there had been a lot of rain.

aggiegal99
Observer, was that building the cantilevered one? It was gone by the time I got to College Station, but I've seen pics in the old yearbooks. That is the building that housed the HS after it left what is now the conference center and before present location.
BCSMom
The High School was over there originally until Consol was built. I am not sure what it was called before it's current name.

I just remember the days when I went to school here that it was Oakwood (5th and 6th) and then the Jr. High on Rock Prairie (7th and 8th)
TXAggie1976
AG
It was A&M Consolidated Junior High, then Willow Branch, then became A&M Consolidated Middle School.
William_C_G
AG
The current Consolidated was built around 1974. The old high school became A&M Consolidated Middle School (6th-8th grade) from around that time until at least 1990. Around 1985 Oakwood opened and was used for 5th and 6th grades.
PS3D
This is a really old thread, but if I recall, they moved A&M Consolidated High School in the early 1970s (which looked nothing like it did today despite the original building, I have an old map of it and the cafeteria was where the main offices are--I don't know if the most recent upgrades have changed this but the changes in elevation and ceiling height suggested that it was cobbled together with several expansions over the years). I don't even know if the high school in its current place was originally enclosed, either.

The old high school became A&M Consolidated Junior High until the late 1980s or early 1990s when they built College Station Junior High on Rock Prairie. Sometime around that same era, Oakwood was built or changed to house 5th graders exclusively ("Oakwood Middle School"), and A&M Consolidated Junior High was completely rebuilt as a new school, Willow Branch Intermediate School to house sixth graders exclusively. Only the dome-shaped auditorium remained.

In 1999, all that changed again. Oakwood started to house 6th graders as well and became "Oakwood Intermediate School" (with "Intermediate" now becoming definitively "Grade 5-6"), Willow Branch getting a slight renovation (including the demolition of the auditorium) and being turned into "A&M Consolidated Middle School" and housing 7-8 graders (with "Middle" now grades 7-8), and a new Intermediate school, Cypress Grove Intermediate School, being built off of Graham Road.

For years, the feeder patterns were Cypress Grove/CSMS and Oakwood/AMCMS feeding both into AMCHS, with the opening of CSHS meant that the two would not rejoin. The addition of a third Intermediate/Middle school feeder system into two existing high schools complicates this further.
Enfield
I haven't been inside Consol since '96. Does it still have the open courtyard? We ate a lot of lunches out there.
AggiePhil
AG
Based on the satellite imagery, no.
Enfield
Aw, man...
PS3D
Enfield said:

I haven't been inside Consol since '96. Does it still have the open courtyard? We ate a lot of lunches out there.
Sometime around 1998 or 1999 the school was extensively renovated. The library is where the courtyard is (I think, and I don't have my old maps with me) but I hear that even since I went to it in the late 2000s it has been altered again, with windows surrounding the library). Most of the expansion more or less "built out" the school, it was previously that white stucco which is still on a few sides and added the brick. There's maps on the city servers (I've seen them, at least of the science wing) showing exactly what they did, but based on aerials, they added another row of science classrooms to the side closest to Harvey Mitchell, added another gym (which has since received a further physical expansion), expanded out the band/choir/orchestra wing, moved the tennis courts across the street, added a softball field to replace a second running track on the main school side, and vastly expanded the student parking.

Even after the renovation in 1998 it was very obvious that it was cobbled together from various parts. I think even before the 1998 renovation, the cafeteria had already been moved to its present location with the large sunken "pit" area (by the way, I was wrong in the above thread, the GYM was originally where the offices are, that's partially why they have the high ceiling there).
taxpreparer
AG
I was clasd of 73. We were the first class to hgave acsenior year at the current AMCHS location. Our first three years were at the location where AMCMSis located. The old domed auditorium was mentioned in national magazines.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.