Heberts Cajun Food told to relocate after 22 years of serving Ags

10,996 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AggieBarstool
WolfCall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just learned this week that Hebert's Cajun Food must relocate by June 15th from their location in the parking lot behind McDonalds on University Drive. Apparently, they will be starting construction in that parking lot and bulldoze all those empty buildings. Hebert's will be moving over by Carter Burgers behind HEB at Texas and Villa Maria.

It's sad, Hebert's will lose the Student walk-up business and the Students are going to lose Hebert's shrimp gumbo, crawfish étouffée, boudin, and spicy pot roast.

So sad. Twenty-two years of serving Ags coming to an end.
WolfCall
AG
The Menu!

WolfCall
AG
BlueMiles
AG
I'm glad they will relocate instead of closing. The new location should keep them busy.
acp46
Win-win for me as Hebert's will be moving from where I work to where I live. But T&P to TAMU folks who will be denied that great grub.
rhoswen
AG
No one is denying anyone anything. The vast majority of students have cars.
evermoreAg
AG
I may have to worry about "starving engineering students."

That should be a good location for them but I hate to see them leave Northgate. It is a very good alternative--a drive by pick up on my way back to work.
Stupe
S
Man...that stinks for all of the people that within walking distance. I used to walk there at least twice a week for jambalaya or pot roast sandwiches when I was on the north side of campus. Didn't even have to have cash. I just went by every Friday and paid my tab. If I had 45 minutes, I could easily walk over there, grab something, and get back. That option is going to be gone when they move. I

At least they are staying in business, but they love having students come by.
biobioprof
Love Heberts, but... 22 years? I could have sworn they arrived after I did.
capn-mac
That end location over in Tejas center desperately needs a success story, too.

It was my favorite Rölf's location (especially for being close to my house--walking distance on a pleasant morning). A real shame when they shuttered up. The cake joint seemed doomed before starting; as did yet another yoghurt place.
"Fish & More" looked to be a good start, but, they never developed a following of regulars.

Considering that only the "regulars' seemed to know anything about Herbert's, that could work to advantage in the new location. Getting the drive-through signage right will be the next key thing for them.
DBSwooper
quote:
It was my favorite Rölf's location (especially for being close to my house--walking distance on a pleasant morning).

I would have frequented that location of Rolf's a lot more if they had served lunch there. As it stands it is hard for me to get all the way across town to go to their other locations for lunch during my work day. Which is too bad, they have one of the best lunches in B/CS!
quirkyaggie
AG
I hope with the move that they'll be open for dinner now. I never could get there for lunch.

My students go there and I smell the delicious goodness and want to steal it from them.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
back in the mid 80s there was a little fast food Indian place in that spot. i wanna say 87 or so? (food was damn good but back in the mid 80s CS wasn't exactly a great place for indian restaurants)

then there was a bank in there for a year or two and then Heberts.
AggiePhil
AG
Are Hebert's and A+ owned by Ali? That's who did tutoring when I was in school.
Hammerheadjim
AG
Hate to see Heberts go , but the new construction there will be a welcome sight.
Frio Cielo
Losing the walk up traffic will hurt them. Although most students have cars, there will be few that will go to their car, drive two miles away, get their food and drive back and hunt for another parking space in order to get to their next class.

When I was in school I didn't have a car and about 1/2 of my classes were either in Zachary or the O&M building and I basically studied and ate most every day at lunchtime in the dining area in the front of Skaggs-Albertson's between classes.
PS3D
I'm afraid that Hebert's won't survive long. The additional overhead of the rent, coupled with the loss of foot traffic and its core audience (anyone on the northside of campus) will surely do it when it moves out to the Tejas Center.
Scruffy
AG
Many students don't know they are there now.

I don't know how much this will hurt then, other than faculty and staff (who do know it exists) won't be eating there.
AboveAndBeyond
quote:
Many students don't know they are there now.

I don't know how much this will hurt then, other than faculty and staff (who do know it exists) won't be eating there.

This. I never saw him as busy as you make him out to be. I always just assumed it was because he was a huge *******.
acp46
Funny...everytime I went there the place was pretty buys, always a small crowd. I certainly never saw any bad behavior on the owner's part. And PS3D is quite correct, with the additional factor that the Tejas Center is an iffy place for restaurant business and longevity. Neither Los Molcajetes or Chef Caos ever seem to be very busy, and even Carter's Burgers, in this burger crazed town, never seems all that busy either.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
i'd be surprised if they were still in business 5 years from now. (but i'm rooting for em)
Tailgate88
AG
Both of those buildings they are building are supposed to be mixed-use, so maybe when they are complete, Heberts can move into a little spot on the bottom floor of one of them.
PS3D
Right, and rent is gonna be through the roof, which is why mixed-use buildings don't last here very long (Lofts, mostly--but that was also because of the location). It will have to get built first, which would require temporary closure anyway. And they're probably not looking for local cajun food shacks, anyway.
Fleen
Welcome to the Tejas Center Hebert's... I look forward to adding you to my neighborhood... Carters, Mojacletes (sp?), now Heberts...
halibut sinclair
I will be a regular visitor to Herbert's new location. Have only been once or twice where they are now.
capn-mac
quote:
Neither Los Molcajetes or Chef Caos ever seem to be very busy, and even Carter's Burgers, in this burger crazed town, never seems all that busy either

Chef Cao's and Molcajete's are busy at lunch time. Molcajete's is also open on Mondays (a rarity in our town). They have a large enough dining area that the umber of patrons is deceptive. They have a solid cadre of regulars to keep them going, too. (Go visit Vanessa, her charm will bring you back; that, and the res leches cake <G> )

Carter Burger has a stubborn, will-not-go-anywhere else following of regulars. I tried, but I could never "warm up" to the place. That, and the next-door What-A-Burger has had the friendliest, most up-beat, staff of just about any W-a-B store I've been in (to include 'bad' days like Friday after Thanksgiving and Christmas Eve).

Really, the only keep-rolling-over location in Tejas is that last space there where Herbert's is going in.

The smart thing to do, would be to get a flyer out with the new location, and that it has a drive-through. An office could send a person over and get an office-full of tasty food in just the one trip. Now, if M. Herbert treats that d/t window the way he did the walk-up one, all will be good.
capn-mac
(Oh, and I'm doing my level best to not be cranky that I'm now 200 miles away, and not a quarter-mile from pot-roast sammiches--stinking economy!)
PS3D
While I am indeed sad that Hebert's is leaving, between Plaza Hotel's redevelopment (I heard it was "The Plaza at College Station", but don't quote me on that), Legacy Point, and 717 University, I'm sure they'll be some tasty lunch option. I myself am hoping we'll get a Noodles and Company out of it, but that's just me.
AggieJason
AG
Does anyone know if they're still open (and more importantly, if they're open RIGHT NOW)? I want me some cajun food...
Scruffy
AG
I don't think they are open on Sundays

typical hours are Mon - Fri 1000 - 1800
redd38
AG
i hope they have better hours in the new location
AggiePhil
AG
Who owns Hebert's?
AboveAndBeyond
The old mans wife. Haha!!
WolfCall
AG
Mr. Hebert owns it. He taught his grandson and granddaughter the business. They do all the cooking now.
momkat
oh yay!!! that is walking distance from my house!!! looking forward to it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.