Memphis Fried Chicken at Stover Bros Cafe!

4,957 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CharlieMac
CharlieMac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to Memphis a few years ago to learn to make fried chicken. I tried Gus' and Uncle Lou's and liked Uncle Lou's better. I actually hung around for a few hours at Uncle Lou's and watched them make the chicken and learned some pretty cool tricks..

I take freshly cut chicken and marinate it in buttermilk for 2 days. I then take it out and shake it with my flour and seasoning dredge. I dry for a few hours and then slow fry it in peanut oil. It turns REALLY dark and crunchy..

Another thing I learned at Sweet Uncle Lou's was to make his dip. He sells it, and I bought several bottles(a few of you have them now)duplicated it and made a few changes that I thought would help.. It's a honey, hot sauce blend that I add seasoning to. You should come try it... It's different than most of the chicken that you've ever had, I promise!
toolshed
AG
And it's great stuff!! I had a piece last week. Super crispy, good flavors. Kudos on giving something different than the other guys to eat, just like you've kicked up the other menu items you have. Look forward to eating some more, and maybe trying the sauce.
aghoops
AG
I've been to Gus' and Uncle Lou's and Uncle Lou's was the best I've ever had. I can't wait to try your version of it. Did you learn how to make those honey butter biscuits, too?
AboveAndBeyond
I hate you more every day Charles. Here I am trying to finally take care of my body and I read here that you now have some chicken made from the South.....
MiMi
S
Will this be a daily special or available every day?

It sounds delicious, especially that sauce. You should put it alongside a waffle.
Diamond Geezer
PSA: The Kobe Brunch burger is Gooooood. wow.

I will have to try the new fried chicken. Will the smoked chicken lasagna blue plate special find its way back in the rotation?
aggiewrench
Is this a menu Item for lunch today?
CharlieMac
We are doing Memphis chicken on Wednesdays from 11-2.

The Smoked Chicken is available for catering.
aggiewrench
Sweet, I will mark my Calendar.
FNG
quote:
PSA: The Kobe Brunch burger is Gooooood. wow.

I will have to try the new fried chicken. Will the smoked chicken lasagna blue plate special find its way back in the rotation?

Dean, I completely concur with your assessment of the Kobe burger.
Fleen
You stink! I was going to come get some after school today... I'm going to run your boys extra
Villager
NOTICE: I have a clear conflict of interest.

Now, that being said, I must say that Charles' Memphis Chicken is OUTSTANDING. I had some yesterday and LOVED it!

Sponsor Message: We carry all your usual groceries AND the largest natural and organic assortment in BCS. VillageFoods.com
CharlieMac
Mimi, if you only knew how MANY hours I've spent debating the waffle subject...

I have so many breakfast/all day menus and items designed and reciped that it drives me crazy not to serve waffles right now.

crcs
CharlieMac, tried the Deep South Mocha shake thanks to your "Social media" offer of a free shake today

Soooo delicious! Need to make time to go for a run and work it off though!
mazag08
AG
Had the Memphis Fried Chicken yesterday!

Freaking awesome!

Well worth the price
GWENZ
I want to try this.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
stover bros cafe
AggieRV
I find it awesome you can lose 50+ lbs run a 5k and still add items to your menu like Memphis Fired Chicken! Life is about moderation! So what is the healthiest thing on your menu, what do you eat on a regular basis from your restaurant?
CharlieMac
Thanks for noticing, RV! Our cafe salads, including pasta and potato salads and caprese or tuna sliders are my regular choices. I had a small chicken leg on Wednesday..

I also typically walk 12-15 miles per week and keep my over-all caloric intake below 1500 per day..
BradSA
Hey Charles! Guess who. It's been a LONG time! So you're catering now?
CharlieMac
Long time no hear, dude! Email me your number @ Charles@stoverbroscafe.com
I miss you guys!
BradSA
We miss you guys too! I'll send that to you today.
acp46
New website looks nice Charlie Mac...kudos.
CharlieMac
Thank you, acp!
acp46
I was roped in by those glistening, succulent looking chickens as the first image!
quirkyaggie
AG
Sounds yummy. Can we get it for dinner?

I wish I could get that for my next event though.

[This message has been edited by quirkyaggie (edited 2/19/2012 8:05p).]
acp46
I'm looking forward to trying it. Have not been impressed with the rotisserie chickens in this town. I have tried Stovers chicken salad made from them, and I'm pretty addicted to it, I'll admit.
Diamond Geezer
Charlie Mac's deli department at Village Foods also offers a tasty rotisserie chicken. It's great for when you want to pick up something a little more healthy for dinner.
acp46
I think Charlie Mac makes the chicken salad out of the rotissiere chickens. Can you confirm, Charlie Mac or is the salad a "if I tell you I have to kill you" thing?
CharlieMac
We do part rotisserrie and part marinated chicken breast in both chicken salads. We marinate all chicken in the same Mexican-style brining solution for 2 days, for a little
more juice.
CrazyAgE
May I ask what all is in the chicken salad at Stover's?
CharlieMac
Umm.. I try to keep some things a "secret"..

Do you have an allergy? I will gladly give you yes or no if you will give me a specific item.
quirkyaggie
AG
Chicken??
spazzdance
CharlieMac... Can I talk you into sharing the recipe you have for the Uncle Lou's sauce? At least the proportions ?
AggiePhil
AG
Can't wait to try it!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.