Permit for garage sale?

10,146 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by docpkrdude
blsinbcs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just wondering if the city of CS requires a permit for a garage sale and if so, how do I go about getting one.
AgResearch
AG
1. Google works really well.

Search terms: garage sale permit college station, tx

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=garage+sale+permit+college+station%2C+tx

First hit on the search:

http://www.cstx.gov/index.aspx?page=2320

Info on that page. Telephone number is under Permits - Garage Sale, Carnival, Parade.

[This message has been edited by ISUAgronomist (edited 6/26/2011 11:45a).]
blsinbcs
AG
yeah...I already saw that. Doesn't say if it is required or not. I'm actually looking for someone who has had a garage sale recently and whether or not they had problems with the city.

But people who are good at google are appreciated too.
AgResearch
AG
Two results down on Google has your answer directly from the city:

http://cstx.gov/modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=11068

[This message has been edited by ISUAgronomist (edited 6/26/2011 11:55a).]
blsinbcs
AG
Sweet...appreciate the help.
wealeat09
AG
Insane that this is a question that has to be asked...

Ducks...
aggiegrad00
College Station, no.

Bryan, yes.
capn-mac
The good side of the permit is that it establishes hours of operations.

This is a good thing.

Was not that long ago, you'd get people "trolling" the sales who would come knocking at your door at eight, or nine, or even ten at night on the Friday before. Or, who would show up and five or six in the morning, just wanting "a quick look."
wealeat09
AG
I'm not sure how a sign in your yard telling the hours of operation wouldn't do a better job than getting permission for the local government to sell your old crap.

That is a lame "reason" that permits are a "good" thing.
capn-mac
Well, you could post all the hours of operation you wanted, they just were not enforceable.

Permit makes it real simple.

But, that is about all the permit does (and get you on the city GIS map).
wealeat09
AG
Huh? How are they not enforceable? You need governmental force to help you prohibit people from ignoring posted hours?

Actually all the permit does is prohibit you from spontaneously having a sale at your residence without the permission of government.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm with wealeat here. How does a permit do anything about it? I don't see what it is you have to enforce. You tell them to go away and that's that. Do they magically not show up at your door if you have a permit?

I'm astounded there's even such a thing as a garage sale permit. Who came up with this crap?
W
AG
some people would hold a garage sale everyday unfortunately. Essentially running a second-hand retail business out of their home. It happens
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Maybe, but I'm sure you could nail them for a zoning violation at that point. I don't see where permits for garage sales are necessary.
techno-ag
AG
"When we give up our freedom for the security of garage sale permits, we are no longer free." - Thomas Jefferson
capn-mac
Well, it's more procedural.

The criminal trespass is a lot simpler a case under the uniform rules of the permits.

In the bad old days, just as eBay was taking off, the "trollers" would show up early wanting to "pick" the sales. They'd show up as early as 0500, and not take "get lost" for an answer. So. PD would have to be called. Then, with that handles, another would show up and the process repeated. It was so bad that people started having "block" sales, which meant they were conducting business, not liquidating property. The parking would be even more of an issue, too.

Permit remains an imperfect answer; and one clearly intrusive to property rights. It's also about the only thing one can do with inflexible homogenous zoning laws in place, as well.

With or without a permit, it's really a lot simpler to just collect one's stuff and haul it to the jockey lot and set up shop there. No lines of strange cars; or strangers poking about your garage and driveway (or using the neighbor's hydrangeas for a litter box . . . )
Tagguy
AG
Actually I understand why they have permits. Back home there was a guy in a nearby subdivision who would have a "garage sale" at least once a week if not every few days. Basically the guy was running a resale shop out of his garage. Just imagine your neighbor having garage sales every week and Im sure you can see how things would get old fast.
csagyo
Although NEVER enforced, Garage sale signs can ONLY be placed in your yard. Not up the road on a light pole or a stick stuck in the ground.

Had neighbors who income consisted of picking up trash that can be resold.

Didnt mind the Garage sales, but I did mind the driveways getting blocked.

We finally got to where me and 4 or 5 neighbors would line the public streets with our cars the night before to combat and stop the situation.

[This message has been edited by csagyo (edited 6/30/2011 8:51a).]
wealeat09
AG
quote:
Actually I understand why they have permits. Back home there was a guy in a nearby subdivision who would have a "garage sale" at least once a week if not every few days. Basically the guy was running a resale shop out of his garage. Just imagine your neighbor having garage sales every week and Im sure you can see how things would get old fast.

Then you deal with the situation (i.e. speak with him and tell him that he needs to cut it out). Just because a few people might screw things up doesn't mean that everyone should have to deal with the BS.

Of course we need the government to solve the problem....
dorf
I agree with csagyo. The responsible party needs to take down the signs after the sale is over and not wait for them to be removed by the weather. They should get a ticket, their address is already known.
docpkrdude
As of 5/29/2020 (verified by phone because online information was absent)
City permit Not required if sale is at your residence.
Your HOA may have restrictions.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.