Suddenlink DVR

12,551 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by tgivaughn
awesome12atm
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My suddenlink remote won't control the volume on my philips TV. It shows the volume go up and down, but doesn;t actually control the sound. Does anyone else have this problem?
muledoggie
AG
Thanks to Nom de Plume, I emailed my "problem/rant list" to Mr. Abel with Suddenlink. Thought they might want to know why I was changing back to DirecTV.

Thanks Nom de Plume.

Jeff
muledoggie
AG
I received a reply today from Mr. Abel. He is going to provide me a replacement DVR. We'll see if they follow through or if there is an improvement.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"DVR can’t be powered off during a recording like most DVRs (but scheduled recordings seem to record when powered off)."

This is my biggest pet peeve. Why does the DVR (and therefore my TV) have to turn themselves on when a show starts recording? Late one night I was up rocking my two-year old back to sleep in the living room when my tv suddenly fires up because a show started recording. I had to scramble to find the remote to shut the whole thing down before the noise/lights woke my child back up.

And every day that I go home for lunch, my tv is always on because the wife records the Young and the Restless.

Our old DVR didn't need to be on to record? Why the step backwards?
muledoggie
AG
Partial Resolution of Problems I Ranted About:

Suddenlink sent a senior tech rep to my house yesterday and provided me with a replacement DVR. In addition, he discovered there was a signal problem effecting my house (and probably some others in my area).

The replacement DVR is a Pace brand with the same software as the older Motorola I had. The Pace is much faster, but all of the problems noted in my previous rant are still present.

But the picture is better and the DVR is faster and I appreciated their attention.

Jeff
fergieferg
I record shows all the time with my suddenlink DVR and the TV is off. Are you saying the TV comes on everytime the DVR starts to record? If so, that seems like a problem. That isn't how mine works.
NateDog
AG
quote:
Why does the DVR (and therefore my TV) have to turn themselves on when a show starts recording?

I'm not a Suddenlink customer, but I'm guessing your TV is connected to your DVR via an HDMI cable? That's not a bad thing at all, but it may be enabling some features you aren't aware of (and don't want). HDMI-CEC allows one component (like your DVR) to control another component (like your TV). It is designed to simplify things and reduce the number of remotes, etc.

HDMI-CEC devices should have a menu option to configure the CEC features, and you should be able to change it so that the TV doesn't turn on just because the DVR does. If you can't figure it out on your own, give Suddenlink a call - their tech support "should" know about such things...
BryanPooch
I have DISH DVR and really like it. But I don't know how that may change since it lost its appeal of a $300 million suit on patent infringement brought by TIVO. TIVO has numerous suits it is thought likely to win against other DVR providers (but I don't think DirecTV is one) which should be decided soon. DISH is trying to figure out (apparently) what to do with its 10 million DVRs in the field. It may pay a monthly fee to TIVO until the settlement is paid off. By the way, DISH was supposed to have an awesome new HD DVR come out some months ago. I think that this suit has been the reason it has been delayed so long.

This was in the news (mostly newspapers, I'm afraid) about three or four weeks ago.... and maybe a year ago when DISH lost the first decision.

BryanPooch
nanaof4
Wehave had DISH for almost 4 years now and the DVR has never given us any problems. And all the new HD channels are awesome...we'll never have Suddenlink again.
muledoggie
AG
Update 3 on Problems I ranted about:

The Pace brand DVR provided by Suddenlink suddenly failed to be a DVR anymore. No pausing or any other DVR functions. 3 calls to tech support and the said they would have to send someone out.

He came today and brought the very newest model DVR Suddenlink provides in this area. It is a Motorola. Seems OK for now.

After all this:

*still have banner ads in the guide taking up 25% of the amount of space the guide itself uses.

*no way to turn on favorite channels list permanently; you've got to toggle it on each time you turn on the guide.

*can't turn closed captions on the DVR/Cablebox on/off without powering off the device (and interrupting any recordings that might be running).

*can't FF/FRW without over/under shooting the stopping point because of dumb algorithm used.

Improvements:

*DVR overall for all uses is faster.

*Picture is noticeably better (not related to DVR).

*new remote uses different colors for the row of buttons containing info, exit, etc meking them much easier to read.

Still to be determined:

*locking a paused program that doesn't exceed rating limits

*picture goes black when changing variable line-out volume occasional

Jeff
12thManMarine
My cable "super" remote doesn't control volume and #5 = #0.
DisneyFan5
Had anyone else had problems with their DVR picture freezing up? It started yesterday and it seems to be having more issues with bravo and mtv rather than abc/cbs/nbc.

I have found that if I keep switching the channel and then going back to watch the recorded show it will eventually start playing right. I can't fast forward or pause because it then freezes again.
DisneyFan5
I just called about my DVR issues and actually talked to someone very helpful. Chad was able to fix the issue with the DVR freezing up and he worked on the problem with our video on demand, which has never worked. He was able to get it working on one box but the other one has issues.
BCS-Ag
I have finally returned my SL DVR after many years. Their interface keeps getting worse and the Windows media center interface keeps getting better...besides, I can now watch my recorded shows in any room I have a computer or XBOX. I am actually thinking of adding a cable card receiver to my media center as well, so I can get all the digital channels. Tough choice though, as I am actually starting to watch a lot of shows on Hulu rather than Cable TV.
tgivaughn
AG
Instead of posting a new thread, thought this one more productive & inclusive of many DVR Suddenlink (hereafter referred to a S.) problems.
Tomorrow ours will be replaced by a S. tech, so if anyone can advise us in time which of the options to be offered us, would be the most problem FREE?

Years have gone by with this motorola dch6414
aka Devil Machine, regardless of wife's defense of it.
It sometimes does what IT wants to do, ignores commands and
can cause a divorce w/o warning it's wiping out precious recordings
while recording Olympics in HD.
This devil is quite malicious and no one should ever buy it new, much less used (saw one on Bonaza.com for sale).
If only I could recall the total rent paid for such abuse over the years, I could be sadder of the past but happier in the unknown future ... could it be worse?

I know one big tip to be offered will be to get the largest HD offered ... this one 160GB, really?

Hope we find a joy of a DVR this time ... that lasts equally as long in compensation.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.