discharging a weapon within Bryan city limits

12,510 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by studioone
Bpriefert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is the law for outside the city limits but within the ETJ for more than 10 acres? Center/rim fire okay?

BrazosWifi
Bpriefert said:

What is the law for outside the city limits but within the ETJ for more than 10 acres? Center/rim fire okay?

I am pretty sure this falls under the county's rules. ETJ mostly applies to planning/development stuff.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
Bpriefert
BrazosWifi said:

Bpriefert said:

I am pretty sure this falls under the county's rules. ETJ mostly applies to planning/development stuff.

So does that mean "yes"? I cannot find anything specific on firearm discharging for Brazos county where the ETJ is involved.
woodiewood1
qreply said:

I don't know if this is good or bad but....

In my neighborhood, if someone were to shoot a critter, they are more likely to ask "You gonna keep that? Looks like a good meal" than wonder for a day or two if they should call the police.
There's nothing I look forward to than a big mess of possum innards.

I do go to Shannon's on Monday for the Ox Tail.
BrazosWifi
Bpriefert said:

BrazosWifi said:

Bpriefert said:

So does that mean "yes"? I cannot find anything specific on firearm discharging for Brazos county where the ETJ is involved.

We shoot on our property in the ETJ.
I would call the non-emergency line at the Sherriff's office during the week and they can surely tell you.
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
samsal75
AG
Get a Sig MCX Canebrake .177 air rifle. You can shoot whatever in the yard.
Bpriefert
BrazosWifi said:

I would call the non-emergency line at the Sherriff's office during the week and they can surely tell you.

Too much of a likelihood that the person on the other end is going to just go conservative and say "no you can't" finish the call asap and get back to their office duties. TexAgs has a better track record of digging down to the docs.
Stupe
S
I'm not kidding when I say this.

If you aren't willing to call the Sheriff's Office, there is no way that someone else should do the work for you.
milner79
Shinerz said:

Because eliminating animals that could tear into your trash one day completely outweighs the possibility of one of those bullets ricocheting elsewhere.

Hey, ricochet is just superstition.

Bpriefert
Stupe said:

I'm not kidding when I say this.

If you aren't willing to call the Sheriff's Office, there is no way that someone else should do the work for you.

Stupe, I've been there. I've heard several inconsistencies when speaking with a rookie LEO which is likely who I'd be referred to with a phone call. I can guarantee the crowdsourced answers from all walks of life (including many lawyers) on TexAgs is more accurate than you think.
Stupe
S
I had a similar question regarding hunting and got an answer by calling the Sherriff and the Game Warden. Which do you think is going to be a better defense if you make the wrong choice? Getting advice from and LEO or website like TexAgs. That is not a knock towards TexAgs as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Hornbeck
I thought the minimum acreage for hunting is 10. Game Warden will give you a straight answer.
MyNameIsJeff
AG
Stupe said:

I had a similar question regarding hunting and got an answer by calling the Sherriff and the Game Warden. Which do you think is going to be a better defense if you make the wrong choice? Getting advice from and LEO or website like TexAgs. That is not a knock towards TexAgs as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here.
Probably TexAgs. I've heard plenty of stupid stuff from LEOs.

Either way, I'd find the relevant section of the penal code or whatever to make sure you're in the clear.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
cartercreek1995 said:

I think my neighbor fired his .22 at an opossum or a raccoon or some other "predator". We live in in the Bryan city limits; what is the law on something like that? Fines, etc.? Should I wait to report it if it happens again? I don't know him well, so I am hesitant to call the police until I find out the specifics. Thoughts?
City of Bryan motto: Snitches get stitches.

I think it is posted on all BFD patrol cars.
histag10
AG
Bpriefert said:

BrazosWifi said:

Bpriefert said:

In Brazos county, there is no minimum acreage required to fire a weapon, unless you are in a subdivided area. Then I believe it is 10 acres. Not all properties in the ETJ are subdivided.
histag10
AG
Hornbeck said:

I thought the minimum acreage for hunting is 10. Game Warden will give you a straight answer.

It varies by county. No minimum in Brazos unless you are subdivided. We checked with game warden, sheriff, and verified with the state when we bought.
studioone

If you are actually afraid of guns, then you weren't born in Texas... Be RESPECTFUL of them... Not afraid...

And if you're worried about your neighbors shooting varmints... You're also were not born in Texas.

I own 2 guns... a 22 Luger my wife's granddad brought home from ww2, and an armalite ar10...

THe 22 is only for the history, and the ar10 is only for shooting armadillos and hogs..

But I would not hesitate to fire either of them in the city limits if the situation demanded it.... IE protecting my family.

You should take a gun course...
MyNameIsJeff
AG
studioone said:

If you are actually afraid of guns, then you weren't born in Texas... Be RESPECTFUL of them... Not afraid...

And if you're worried about your neighbors shooting varmints... You're also were not born in Texas.

I own 2 guns... a 22 Luger my wife's granddad brought home from ww2, and an armalite ar10...

THe 22 is only for the history, and the ar10 is only for shooting armadillos and hogs..

But I would not hesitate to fire either of them in the city limits if the situation demanded it.... IE protecting my family.

You should take a gun course...
I bet that Ar10 does a number on an Armadillo.

And a .22 Luger WW2 bringback?
FamousAgg
AR10 to protect the family from armadillos?
cslifer
As some above posters said, ETJ is planning/zoning/some building stuff. Ordinances don't apply. As long as the projectile doesn't cross property lines there isn't a lot you can really do.
techno-ag
AG
samsal75 said:

Get a Sig MCX Canebrake .177 air rifle. You can shoot whatever in the yard.
This is actually good advice. Modern airguns are powerful. You can choose from a variety of powerplants. My favorite is precharged pneumatic although that will necessitate investment in a pump. Plus, they can have suppressors since they're not firearms. Very quiet.

Take a look at this site to get an idea of what's out there: https://www.pyramydair.com/
studioone
BattleGrackle said:

AR10 to protect the family from armadillos?
meh... I've had 22's bounce off armadillos... so I just carry the big one.. and as I never know what I'm going to find at 2-3am out in Millican... ive seen bobcats, boars etc...

the ar10 does cause an armadillo to literally explode though... fun times..
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.