Molé Enchiladas in BCS?

3,552 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by maroon barchetta
momlaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would appreciate recommendations regarding Molé Enchiladas in our area.

tia
MiMi
S
Cazadores
Los Cucos
Savory
gina's is the best that i've had
Mucho austin
AG
los molecajetes (spelling?)

in the Bryan HEB/Hastings center closest to texas ave.
wealeat09
AG
Los Lomas
crockerDOM
Los Molcajetes Mexican Food (979) 775-3104 725 E Villa Maria Rd, Ste 100, Bryan, TX
Drewmeister
AG
I really like the enchiladas de mole (I always get chicken) at Los Molcajetes. Not rock-my-world level but solidly good and remind me of the mole de pollo (not enchiladas, just chicken and mole sauce) my Mexican friend made or that I had in Ciudad Victoria, Mexico.

I have not yet tried them at Gina's, but everything else I've had there has ranged from good to outstanding, and they are my new favorite Mexican restaurant, so I'd expect their enchiladas de mole to be pretty good.
wealeat09
AG
Where is Gina's again?
momlaw
AG
Gina's Restaurante Mexicano
www.ginasrestaurante.com

1416 Groesbeck St
Bryan, TX 77803
(979) 822-1254

We ate lunch there today. My Enchiladas Verdes were very, very delicious. Dadlaw's craving for molé was satisfied with the Molé Enchiladas. They also had Molé Poblana. Nice, clean, family run restaurant. We will go back.

Looking forward to trying Los Molcajetes, Las Lomas, Los Cucos and Cazadores ++ any others suggested.

Thanks for the help.
crockerDOM
I think fridays are half price margaritas at Molcajetes.
EVA3
AG
The only places that I'm sure have enchiladas de mole are Gina's and Los Molcajetes. It has been a while since I have had them, but I remember Gina's mole being excellent.

Gina has the best enchiladas verdes I have ever had.
IDAg86
does anyone serve mole enchiladas con huevos?
Don Ayala's in Acton has "rock my world" wonderful enchiladas con huevos, I'm looking for something a touch closer to home
AggiePhil
AG
What is mole?
momlaw
AG
Molé or molé sauce is a dark brown Mexican sauce or gravy made from dry chiles, nuts, spices, vegetables, chocolate and seasonings. It takes a great deal of time to prepare and is served as chicken mole, in beef or pork for special occasions and holidays in Mexico.

My husband loves it. The first time I had it was in 7th grade, a very long time ago, on salmon... doesn't ring my bell like it does his.

Edit for note to IDAg:
Sorry, didn't notice your post. Gina's serves breakfast and is a small accommodating business. My bet is they would happily attempt Molé Enchiladas con Huevos to please you.

[This message has been edited by momlaw (edited 2/28/2009 6:03p).]
IDAg86
AgPhil - mole is a wonderful Mexican dish/sauce. Chocolate, ancho peppers, a bit of cinnamon and things like that. A very delicate flavor blend that enhances the flavor of beef or chicken. Done right, it's divine
EVA3
AG
I agree with the above two posts.
EVA3
AG
Also, Phil: It's pronounced "MO-leh."

IDAg: I'm sure Gina's would try it. Los Molcajetes does have a breakfast dish called "Enchilada Nortena." It's a cheese enchilada (white cheese) with the verde sauce, served with two eggs any style.
MiMi
S
Those at Los Molcajetes are OK. I thought they were kind of small. IMHO, those at Cazadores and Los Cucos were better.
wealeat09
AG
quote:
Gina has the best enchiladas verdes I have ever had.

This is my fave Mexican dish right now. Do want.
IDAg86
To add: there are variations of mole. My fave is the chocolate type mentioned above. You can also get a green mole sauce - sans chocolate.

I really like mole beef enchiladas con huevos. Eggs over easy.
phillytex24
Where can you find these in BCS today?
FlyRod
I don't think you can. There is a gas station on Harvey Mitchell near the exit to Villa Maria (Easy Stop/Shop?) that does have excellent mole tacos in their taqueria inside.
histag10
AG
According to BCS Meals and Deals, you can get them at Caminos. (Posted about them at the end of May)

And they look pretty delicious! I had no idea Mole Enchiladas were a thing.
histag10
AG

MiMi
S
Many years ago, Cazadores had the best mole enchiladas. After they closed, I'd go to Los Cucos for my mole enchilada fix. When they took it off the menu, I have been checking all the new Mexican restaurants' menus to see if they have mole. I didn't see that Caminos has it. I will definitely check it out.
FlyRod
Ok now I know where to get birria!
trouble
AG
Don chente is my favorite for birria
halibut sinclair
Both are very good for birria. We prefer Camino's even though it's further away from us.
Chrundle the Great
AG
Tacos Moochos on Texas/MLK has excellent quesobirria and that's all they do

A little different, but I really like Quesdilla Peke's mole in either quesadilla or Gordita form
FlyRod
Where is "the Taco Monster" when we actually need him?
phillytex24
Thank y'all! I can't wait to try Camino's!!!
DTP02
AG
This thread inspired me to try Camino's last Friday.

My wife and I both loved the Enchiladas de Mole and the Tacos de Birria. I can't believe I've never been there before.

This place is going straight into the rotation. In fact I'm probably going to go back this weekend.

Very good warm roasted salsa as well.
DimeBox17
AG
I'd classify myself as a Mexican food snob and I will say that Camino's is one of the best I have had in BCS. They also serve homemade flour and corn tortillas that are both very good.

I am going to have to try the quesabirria tacos at other places that were mentioned here as well.
ro828
When I was in high school my Spanish teacher told us about how mole is a chocolate sauce used in cooking in Mexico. My Dad said that either I was telling a lie or that I had misunderstood what the teacher said.

Well, it turns out that he had been in his first year of high school when the Depression started in 1929. He was one of ten children and keeping everyone fed was not easy. As he describes it, that family was "very serious" about food.
oklaunion
DTP02 said:

This thread inspired me to try Camino's last Friday.

My wife and I both loved the Enchiladas de Mole and the Tacos de Birria. I can't believe I've never been there before.

This place is going straight into the rotation. In fact I'm probably going to go back this weekend.

Very good warm roasted salsa as well.
Ordered the Tacos de Birrias today at Camino's. Quite excellent but the consume was incredible. Had the mole enchiladas last trip. Also excellent. Not your regular cookie cutter Mexican food joint.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.