Who remembers---

145,381 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
The Original AG 76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS3D
Thanks for finding that TM article . Brought back great memories. The Silver Lining salad is the one I've always remembered as the best salad I've ever had. Anyone who had a chance to dine there in the 70-90's need to count themselves lucky.
halibut sinclair
quote:
Do you think the Texan closed because it was too far from the bypass and kinda expensive for this town?

Maybe so.

IIRC and I probably don't - Mr. Tapley passed away and his wife tried to run the place by herself before selling it to someone else. It didn't last long after that.

[This message has been edited by halibut sinclair (edited 1/22/2014 11:20a).]
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
there was a 7-11 at Anderson and Holleman, I believe. It served gas too.

Correct on the 7-11 but it never had gas pumps. That strip center was also the first location of Domino's Pizza in B/CS.

quote:
And before that, it was a Gulf

Owner was Larry Piper and it was full service, including a mechanic.

Sefcek's was first a service station at the corner of E 29th and Carter Creek before it moved to it's present location in College Station. BTW that CS location was built as a Firestone tire store before Sefcek's moved there. I think Steve Parker owned the Firestone store.

[This message has been edited by brazos county observer (edited 1/22/2014 11:09a).]
halibut sinclair
Sevcik
wellboriginal
quote:
quote:And before that, it was a Gulf

Every Chevron was originally a Gulf. The company changed names.
PS3D
quote:
Every Chevron was originally a Gulf. The company changed names.

Chevron existed for a few decades prior, but all the Gulf stations in the area did become Chevron (that said, Gulf isn't dead, there's a Gulf station along Hempstead Road in Houston).

There were a few Gulf stations in College Station-Bryan at the time, including one in Southgate.

Also: someone told me that the Wickes Lumber was a "Plywood, Minnesota" store at some point, but I can't find the local one ever being that.
aalden
quote:

Sefcek's was first a service station at the corner of E 29th and Carter Creek before it moved to it's present location in College Station. BTW that CS location was built as a Firestone tire store before Sefcek's moved there. I think Steve Parker owned the Firestone store.

[This message has been edited by brazos county observer (edited 1/22/2014 11:09a).]
I believe Sevciks was at Highway 30 and Texas before it moved to Longmire Drive.
Steve Parker and Bill Fitch owned the Goodyear store "Automotive Service World" that was previously at that location on Longmire.
halibut sinclair
quote:
quote:

I believe Sevciks was at Highway 30 and Texas before it moved to Longmire Drive.
Steve Parker and Bill Fitch owned the Goodyear store "Automotive Service World" that was previously at that location on Longmire.
Sevcik's was originally at 29th and Briar Oaks in Bryan.
Spider69
AG
When I started at TAMU in 1965, the only CS eating places were Coach Norton's Pancake House (East Gate side on Hwy 6, Texas Ave.) & LuAnn's at Northgate besides the MSC and Sibsia & Duncan mess halls. There was an A&W drive in on the CS/Bryan city limits n Hwy 6. Zarapa's was a hole in the wall on a dirt road now University Ave. but almost unknown by most then! The best in Bryan was the Chicken Shack and Youngbloods and Weirman's on 29th in Bryan for the $1.25 CFS and great German pies.
Spider69
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Sevcik's was originally at 29th and Briar Oaks in Bryan.
Bought gas & had minor car work & tire repairs done there when I owned my first house on Glenn Oaks in Bryan off Carter Creek. Always had honest good service! It was at corner of 29th & Briar Oaks!
MiMi
S
quote:
It was at corner of 29th & Briar Oaks!
Yep. I remember taking my car to Sevcik's at that location in 1991. Leon had a mechanic working for him that always wore flip flops that would check my tires or battery.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
Yep. I remember taking my car to Sevcik's at that location in 1991. Leon had a mechanic working for him that always wore flip flops that would check my tires or battery.
His name was Rodrigo. He was a free spirit.
DeckMe80
quote:
quote:
quote:
I thought his name was Red. Bushy beard.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
I thought his name was Red. Bushy beard.
No, but Red also wore flip flops.
BPDPIO
You may have already gotten your answer but Bowie School used to be the West Side School built in 1905. It started as a 4 room school until they added on in 1922. Since then they have added on and remodeled several times. The school's 1st principal was W. C. Parker from 1905-1907 then C. M. Bethany replaced Parker and served for 42 years as principal of the school. The last principal listed W. E. "Bill" Hodge served from 1973-1986. Source Brazos County History pg 116-117. https://www.facebook.com/BryanPD/photos/a.407576644788.208191.164690824788/10154135756394789/?type=3&theater

This photo as best we can tell was taken in the early 80s. The kids were a class at Bowie Elementary and the building in the background is Hillier Funeral Home. We have yet to identify any of the kids but it would be nice to add to our History. It would also narrow down the year this picture was taken. Good Luck!
Angry Beaver
AG
There used to be a bar at 1600 S College Ave in Bryan in the early 2000's. Does anyone remember the name? They used to promote "penny pitchers" before it eventually shut down.
UmustBKidding
Ghrams?
Angry Beaver
AG
I think that was it! Thanks!
TheEdge87
AG
My favorites that are gone now:

Fajita Rita's
Youngblood's
Mama's Pizza (Although you can still go to the ones in the Fort Worth area)
Cow Hop
Tom's BBQ (Back in the 80's when it was still good)
Inner Urban
Fort Shiloh
poco
WOW. Just found this site when I was looking up Fish Richard's Halfway House. Was in B/CS from about 1982 to 1990. Hubby was in vet school and I worked at the Texas Veterinarian Medical Diagnostic Clinic. This brings back to many memories. Haven't been there since then. Live in Florida now, but so nice to take a walk down memory lane.
poco
A friend of ours owned Fish Richards and my husband worked on remodeling it for him. How did it get it's name? When they were tearing down one of the walls, there was an inscription on the wall that said "Fish Richards" along with a date from 50 years prior - hence the name Fish Richards Half Century Place.
hopeandrealchange
poco said:

A friend of ours owned Fish Richards and my husband worked on remodeling it for him. How did it get it's name? When they were tearing down one of the walls, there was an inscription on the wall that said "Fish Richards" along with a date from 50 years prior - hence the name Fish Richards Half Century Place.

My wife and I would go to Fish Richards every year for our anniversary dinner. Bill was a friend. He and his staff treated us like royalty.
I don't remember the name of his place at north gate. As I recall it was an Italian place. Every Tuesday we where there.
I sure have great memories of my friend Patch.
eric76
AG
1984Consol said:

Hey aalden- i did not see Fort Shiloh mentionrd there Awesome food! Our family would go there on Friday nights about once a month as a special occasion.
The drunkest I ever got on beer was at the Shiloh Club which was later converted into Fort Shiloh. I don't know how I made it back to the dorm after that party.
eric76
AG
fighterpilot said:

Wasn't the Chicken called the Aggie Den in the early '70s? I hear my brother and cousins talk about that and "Mom's".
The Aggie Den was a really good pool hall.

In the early summer of 1974, my younger brother was in summer school as an incoming fish. He was walking down University Drive and looked in as they were rebuilding the Aggie Den into the Dixie Chicken. So he just walked in and started working. Every day until opening, when he got through with class he went over and got to work. He never got paid but I think that he did get free beer on opening night.
eric76
AG
Yuccadoo said:

Misspelled it but very cool to see a picture of it!

When I was in college, we always put the George Carlin treatment on all of the restaurants, so you had Pelican's Bharf, Casa Ptomaine, etc.

In high school, the Deluxe Burger Bar was referred to as "The $lut Hut". Don't ask....

Thanks,

Yucca D

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 8:06p).]

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 8:07p).]
I knew a guy who wrote a check there to pay for his meal and made it payable to "The $lut Hut". The cashier got really pissed off at him for that.
eric76
AG
Spider69 said:

When I started at TAMU in 1965, the only CS eating places were Coach Norton's Pancake House (East Gate side on Hwy 6, Texas Ave.) & LuAnn's at Northgate besides the MSC and Sibsia & Duncan mess halls. There was an A&W drive in on the CS/Bryan city limits n Hwy 6. Zarapa's was a hole in the wall on a dirt road now University Ave. but almost unknown by most then! The best in Bryan was the Chicken Shack and Youngbloods and Weirman's on 29th in Bryan for the $1.25 CFS and great German pies.
Zarape's was great. It was really busy after football games. One thing I liked was that if you sat by the windows on the east side, you could watch the horses in the pasture next to it while you waited for your food.

Youngbloods was fantastic. My younger brother and I were trying to remember the name of that restaurant a few weeks ago but couldn't. Mr Youngblood was also known as being active in RC helicopters.
eric76
AG
nanaof4 said:

Ages ago, where Polly's Cocina is on Hwy 21 (formerly Mi Cocina) used to be a hamburger place called the HiFi and what about the Peanut Gallery on Wellborn between 2818 and G. Bush...
Most people weren't aware of it, but back in the 70s when the CIA recruiter came to Aggieland, after the presentation they would go to the Peanut Gallery and he would buy the beer for the group.
eric76
AG
The Original AG 76 said:

I've eaten in restaurants all over the world, several of them so called 5 star and ungodly expensive, but I can honestly say that the TEXAN was one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. It was an unreal treat hidden in an old building one would take for a dive. It was only moderately expensive but the menu was world class. The Vietnamese ( Num Nuc or something like that) salad made table side still ranks as the best salad Ive ever eaten.
I believe the place was owned by a military guy who had traveled the world and developed the menu. I hope someone on here could tell the entire story behind this long gone Brazos Valley jewel.
When they had car races at Texas World Speedway, one of the reporters who covered the races from a newspaper in Houston (either the Post or the Chronicle) was not a sports reporter at all. Her usual coverage was of house and garden type news. I asked her why she covered the car races and she said that she could never turn down a chance to eat at The Texan when she could put it on her expense account.
eric76
AG
capn-mac said:

The convenience store at Boyett and University started life as a 7-11.

It replaced a defunct Cononco gast station that had been renovated in the '80s as first, "12th Man Drinking Association" then as "Thirty Turtle."

The last of the U-Tote-Em was over on the bypass almost exactly halfway between Westinghouse & Rock Prairie. Orkin used to be in the ground floor of that building.

Which was a fascinating bit of synchronicity for me. I worked at the architect's office which had designed Orkin's location on 29th Street (before that became a storage facility). Said office also drew the last three local U-Tote-Em. That building now housing one of our better engineering firms.
There used to be a small apartment building or boarding house there that I always heard called "The Alamo". I think the Thirsty Turtle was built on or very close to it's location.
eric76
AG
carpe vinum said:

Club 707 I vaguely recall,
up on the 2nd floor the place was quite small.
We caught a live band there once back in the day
Charli's was there but there didn't stay.

Mama's Pizza was there too but also did go
about the same story with Audio/Video.
What else was there? out in the back?
Next to the field, was that Radio Shack?

Not far from there a block and not more
Was the city's finest little record store.
Just across Lincoln sat racks and racks
Of all of our favorite vinyl and 8 tracks.

The name escapes me, it's one I can't drop
But was next to the cleaners turned Yamaha shop.
I had a bright yellow one it was a sight to see
Boy it was fast and sounded like a pissed bumble bee.

Owned by the Fishers, cash only no loans
That stupid dirt bike it broke many bones.
No worry Doc Walton could mend them
What a great man I really miss him.

T.O. Jr's office still stands
even though it has changed many hands.
Ills major or minor, some just from fears
Dr. Walton took care of me for a great many years.

[This message has been edited by cstxag90 (edited 12/14/2008 6:47a).]
Club 707 sounds familiar. There used to be a couple of Steppenwolf bands touring and one of them played there on at least one or two occasions.)

If that is the one, it was later turned into a Chinese Restaurant.
eric76
AG
burningdaylight said:

tman, do remember the little grocery store at northgate? I can remember buying pints of ice cream after enjoying a wonderful meal at what used to be the one of the worlds largest dining facilities....Sbisa
Charlie's Grocery

It was owned and run by two brothers, one of them named Charlie. I never could tell the difference between them, though.
CEAg78
AG
eric76 said:

carpe vinum said:

I think there was a bike shop and then it became Computer Access.
eric76
AG
CEAg78 said:

eric76 said:

carpe vinum said:

I think there was a bike shop and then it became Computer Access.
Yamaha?

Joe Fisher had some good marketing ideas. He had a bike (I think a 350) tuned to the max for prospective customers to fide. They'd come in on their Honda and he'd send them out on that 350. They'd come back eager to replace that Honda with a Yamaha 350 as soon as possible.
Well, okay then
AG
Joe Fisher, good guy, ran a good shop. Got me out a bind once with a bike I was trying to sell.
Line up and wait 18L
Yuccadoo said:

Who remembers getting a burger at DSP? (Dead Solid Perfect). It was in the same building that is now a restaurant across from Cafe Eccell. No exhaust vents, smoke pouring out a coupla windows in the kitchen, made the best burgers commercially available in the world (IMO).

Better yet, who remembers when Cafe Eccell was the CSPD station. (I do because when I was a bad child, my dad used to take me over there and drive by like he was going to haul me in). That always got my attention.

How about the REO? It was on the roundabout (yep) at the intersections of South College and University Dr, and was called "the Circle". Behind the Reo (a 50's style drive in with car hops) was the Circle Drive In theatre. First time I ever rode in the trunk of a car was right there!

Yes, I was born in CS (well, technically, the OLD St. Joseph's hospital on 25th? Street in Bryan) back in '53, went to Consol HS and graduated from A&M eventually in 78'. I could post up "do you remembers" all night.

Allden-Bill Patch built out Fish Richards on Wellborn. The restaurant got it's name from a freshman that carved his name Richards on a wall that was found when they were remodelling. Bill was a good friend (RIP).

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 3:44a).]

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 3:48a).]
I knew Bill Patch in the early '80's when he owned "Backstage" on Northgate. Quite an entrepreneur. I don't remember exactly how it went but I believe he worked for a Ferrari dealership at one time. He drove many different models as part of his job. I'm very sorry to learn of his passing so many years ago.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.