Who remembers---

145,342 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I remember the Domino's there, although it was in the portion that didn't face Holleman, it faced Anderson and disappeared in the late 1990s or early 2000s. I know that College Station had the first Texas Subway, did it have the first Domino's in Texas, too?

Did the UtoteM even last until the mid-1980s to become a Circle K? I remember the bus station there from the mid-2000s.

If that convenience store (Stop & Go) was a 7-Eleven, that would imply the other Stop & Go (at Dominik and George Bush East) was a 7-Eleven, too, right?
techno-ag
AG
7-11's I recall include one near Bryan High on 29th & Briarcrest where CVS is, one at 29th & Ennis between Texas and Coulter, and the one on Northgate I think on Boyett.
bryanhome
There was a U Tote M where the Farm Patch used to have their meat market. The Farm Patch was Mr. Sides' Texaco station.
TellMeMore
Speaking of the Farm Patch area, across Pleasant street used to be a place that had about 9 trampolines, they were at ground level and excavated underneath so the chance of falling off was eliminated. And there was a Key Service Station on the triangle of land where Chicken Oil is.
PS3D
I do think I remember reading that the "Aggie Food Mart" at Boyett and University was a 7-Eleven at one time.
capn-mac
The convenience store at Boyett and University started life as a 7-11.

It replaced a defunct Cononco gast station that had been renovated in the '80s as first, "12th Man Drinking Association" then as "Thirty Turtle."

The last of the U-Tote-Em was over on the bypass almost exactly halfway between Westinghouse & Rock Prairie. Orkin used to be in the ground floor of that building.

Which was a fascinating bit of synchronicity for me. I worked at the architect's office which had designed Orkin's location on 29th Street (before that became a storage facility). Said office also drew the last three local U-Tote-Em. That building now housing one of our better engineering firms.
PS3D
quote:
The convenience store at Boyett and University started life as a 7-11.

Early 1990s, then?

quote:
It replaced a defunct Cononco gast station that had been renovated in the '80s as first, "12th Man Drinking Association" then as "Thirty Turtle."

"Thirty" Turtle or "Thirsty" Turtle? Also, I read somewhere on MyBCS that it was a Chevron, not a Conoco.

quote:
The last of the U-Tote-Em was over on the bypass almost exactly halfway between Westinghouse & Rock Prairie. Orkin used to be in the ground floor of that building.

So that office building at 2818 and Highway 6 had a Utotem on the ground level? That's...hard to believe.
Newbomb_Turk
thirsty
PS3D
Anyone know what gas station the Notes N Quotes was?
curry97
AG
quote:
Anyone know what gas station the Notes N Quotes was?

Dean's Exxon I think
PS3D
Thanks! Here's another one: until the 1990s, there were a few shops or restaurants on Boyett, which were demolished for the promenade. What were they?
jbr
AG
Burger Boy was one I believe

[This message has been edited by jbr (edited 1/20/2013 5:23p).]
PigInABlanket
AG
quote:
I do think I remember reading that the "Aggie Food Mart" at Boyett and University was a 7-Eleven at one time.
By the time I got to A&M, the first time, it was an E-Z Mart, or as it was affectionately called on Northside, the Sleazy Mart.
PS3D
As far as I know, Burger Boy was in the place where Daily Ruckus is now (before that, Bryan).

The building in question is circled in maroon (it is no longer existent).

The building in blue was where Burger Boy was, and still houses Daily Ruckus, Happy Yogurt, and MaroonBikes.

The greenish arrow indicates the current Citgo "Aggie Food Mart".

The purplish indicates modern Fitzwilly's.

The dark blue arrow was where Loupot's was.

Image from Google Earth, 1995:
techno-ag
AG
PS3D - have you considered researching old phonebooks? Seems I read somewhere of libraries archiving old phonebooks, which would give you names & addresses of old businesses.
jbr
AG
PS3D- I am pretty sure that Burger Boy moved to their location on Church St. from this location. I remember a lawsuit against COCS by the owner.
PS3D
That would make sense in context--the "Burger Boy is gone" thread mentioned the owners' fight with the city--this was it: they wanted the building gone to build the Promenade at Northgate.
AggiePhil
AG
How do you view archived satellite imagery with Google Earth?
Clucky
I don't think that is a building. I don't recall any building ever being there.
PS3D
In Google Earth 5 and up, there's a little "clock" button, clicking on it should let you choose old satellite photos they have the area.

The topographic map from this era shows the building there (so it was there in the 1970s), and this 1989 picture shows it a little better.

No doubt about it, Clucky, there WAS something there. Burger Boy? Maybe. Possibly something else, too!
Clucky
I stand corrected...Wow, I do not remember that at all!
curry97
AG
Wasn't there a FatBurger there originally?
Scotch
AG
Some may be duplicates:

7-11's:
Corner of College and Villa Maria
29th and Briarcrest where the Walgreens is
University and Boyett
Finfeather at Villa Maria
maybe on Harvey across from the mall
These all became EZ Marts iirc. The Slurpee machines even stayed behind.

There was a Circle K on Villa Maria at Cavitt
capn-mac
Gcak, I misspeelt "Thirsty" <g>

In '78, west side of Boyett, from University heading north:

*Campus Theater (long axis on true E-W)--Now Daisy Dukes

*Large laundromat--now O'Bannon's

*Law & real estate offices of George Boyett--now left-hand side of Paddock Lane & far right of O'B's

*Quirky restaurant with two large fishtanks--now bulk of Paddock Lane

*USMC (Officer) Recruiting Station--now Tipsy Turtle
capn-mac
Now, where Burger Boy was, along with a chicken delivery place (whose owners used to live next door to me) was along Patrica, closer to Old College Main.

Those were demolished for the Promenade.

Was a great deal of friction in getting the Burger Boy moved over to Second Street.
Scotch
AG
In the same building(may have been there before) or in an adjacent building as Burger Boy before it moved to Church there was a U-Tote-M. I remember it being white, with peeling paint in the 80's.
PS3D
The Cavitt and Villa Maria gas station being a Circle K makes a lot of sense, seeing as they went through almost identical ownership changes (Diamond Shamrock-> Texaco) and both are "Handi Stop" stores, and it was likely the Handi Stop on Villa Maria was a Conoco in the late 1990s and early 2000s like the one on 2818 was.

Was there ever a 7-Eleven at Southwest Parkway and Wellborn, or was that always an EZ Mart?
capn-mac
Scotch,
The Burger Boy & Chicken joint were separated from the Circle K location by "the mud lot."

That "L" shaped center at Patricia & Boyett had, L to R (west to east):
Hair Salon
narrow Barber shop (two chairs, maybe 3)
narrow Laundromat (like 8 & 8)
(possibly one other lease)
then the Circle K all the way across the leg of the "L"

Until 1980 there was a French Colonial house which was a flagrant copy of the Board of Directors building that had stood just north of Sbisa (in the grassy "front yard" of Hobby )--that latter having burned down in 1979 during renovations.

That left an empty dirt lot, with a line of trees separating it from the paved (mostly) lots that Don Canter and Richard Benning operated to Chicken & Dud's. There were some older buildings along Patricia that were of varying idleness after old man Victor moved out of his location right there on the corner of Old College Main.

techno-ag
AG
Good memories, Capn.
Clucky
OK, after getting burned once- I'm posting a little more cautiously. BUT, I think the Domino's on Holleman did face Holleman, it was a Pizza Hut that faced Anderson and it was in the other strip in the back corner -

I remember that Dominos delivered soft drinks in cups - like little plastic tumblers.

Also, there was a 7-11 on Southwood & 2818 where the shoe store is now, or at least in that same strip.
jimmyb
Ok heres one - what about the place at the top of the hill on South college at royal that you used to be able to rent slot cars by the hour? I think it was probably the late 60s. I remember going there for my birthday one time and I think it closed soon after :-(

Its where the outboards and boats were sold later.

Do I win? ;-)
techno-ag
AG
The Citgo on 2818 in Bryan started as a 7-11.
Also there was one on Villa Maria & Finfeather near the tracks.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
I think the Domino's on Holleman did face Holleman, it was a Pizza Hut that faced Anderson and it was in the other strip in the back.

Is that Pizza Hut no longer there?
PS3D
Ohhhhhh, yes I do remember the Domino's. It's where Top Donuts is now. Pizza Hut is no longer there, though. Been gone fore years.
PS3D
Chicken Basket. The fried chicken place was named Chicken Basket.

My Northgate Historical Resources was missing the page but did give the address (317 Patricia) which according to some wildly outdated information on the Internet reveals it to be Chicken Basket. Still appears to be four stores in that "block", however.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.