Who remembers---

145,345 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
PS3D
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What about the vintage clothing store in Eastgate? Replaced Valley Cycling in the early 2000s, didn't last too long...it was the "_______ Monkey Vintage Clothing" (I want to say "Drunken" or "Funky" but that's not right)
PS3D
Probably a bit of a stretch, but does anyone remember when Duncan crossed the railroad, way down in south Brazos County? It closed off sometime in the mid-2000s, and in my mind's eye, I imagine that there was gates and lights, but it probably just had the simple railroad crossing signs (I know the old Old Highway 6 did).
PS3D
What about Paint N More? I remember there was a Bryan location (the CS one was where "Fastenal" is now), and I think it was on College or Cavitt (probably College Avenue). Anyone know what I'm thinking about?
PS3D
Another question: Veggie Garden. Opened in the late 1980s, College Station. Where was it?
capn-mac
To answer PS3D,
In the 70's there were various places for "alternative media." Some of which may have passed into history in 1973-74 when Brazos County went "wet" and the drinking age became 18.

By 1978, the most obvious place was upstairs over Loupot's. There was an entrance there at the west end of the Lupot's facade, and adjacent to the stairs up to what is now Basil's. The entrance was painted an under-subtle bright yellow and proclaimed "Adult 25ยข Arcade" in letters visible from moving cars on the opposite side of the street. Was rather a peer-pressure/rite-of-passage thing to go upstairs and look around sheepishly.

If a person went to the truck stops on 21--that's where the serious smut was carried. That, and the upper rack at Hastings, and the U-Totem on Villa Maria and Cavitt.

During the mini oil-boom '81-84 in town, other "attractions" opened; Blue Dolphin, King something, and the 3rd place--these were "jacuzzi" bars, where one rented a hot tub with 'attendant' for 15, 20, 30 minutes for a "massage." The sheriff raided those places on a periodic basis until they just closed down. The Adult Arcade was also raided until it shut down too. Big Jim K had some souven-er-evidence seized from those raids in his office which was occasionally used as commentary on the exposition being espoused there within.

There had been some very ramshackle rent houses along Live Oak, which were eventually condemned and raised. On three of those lots, a building was built, on the westmost lot. Upon that building, in large, back-lit letters, proclaimed "Adult Video" which was visible most of the way back to eastgate. It was glaring enough that the incarnation before Denny's they put up a fence to block that sing from the parking lot.

The person who owned/ran AV, did so on a precarious basis. And that lack of minding p's and q's lead to the closure for past-due taxes.

A number of people tried to develop that location; more after the building was finally razed. But, the narrow lots, and the price to have them replatted into one lot held up development. That is until Fuego found a way to shoe-horn their floorplan into the backlot, and use the other two for parking and street access.
PS3D
I do remember Adult Video. It lasted well into the 1990s and early 2000s. I can see why the lot was hard to redevelop: the parking lot at Fuego is crazy difficult, and it's a miracle that it's doing pretty well. What about the other questions I recently posted? I know there were two Paint N More stores in town...
Yuccadoo
Born in Bryan in '53.....seen a lot but can only remember so much.
Yuccadoo
What was the name of that club over by the tower and off Texas opposite of where FM 30 comes in? It was 2 story, IIRC. I've been trying to remember that name all day.

There was also a pool hall and arcade next to where Skaggs Albertson's was.....Tom Foolery? A good place to waste your life playing foosball.

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 7/3/2012 4:40p).]
Well, okay then
AG
Tom Foolery by the old Skaggs Albertsons, yes. Was humiliated in foosball there a few times, may've been 1979.
chmicr
Anyone remember the 1st Lowes in College Station? I think it was a Lowes? At the current Grandstation location.
AggiePhil
AG
It was a smaller Lowe's.
bqaggie86
mac, don't forget about the place south of town that provided massages. I remember it burning down and I think someone may have died in the fire. I think this happened in the late 70s or early 80s.
ComfortAg
AG
RIP 27-inch SVHS Magnavox that I bought at Rex Electronics in 1994. Since I started this thread in reference to my old tv, I think it only fitting that I come full circle now that I've finally replaced my trusty old tube. It didn't die, but was suffering from progressively increasing tuner failure.

Now, regarding the first Lowe's in College Station, I have a Poulan chain saw I bought there that still runs like a champ!
95_Aggie
AG
I bought a 25" TV from that original Lowe's. It weighed a ton.
EMC2
My older brother started at A&M in 1981 - worked at the McDonalds across from Zachry, moved up to assistant manager about the time they built the new McDonald's at Texas/SW Parkway -as a kid I got to eat for free at the "soft opening" - he worked there until they graduated. - I came along 8 years later in 89.

Who remembers the old cow hop in north gate?
acp46
Cow patties!!! I remember...
FNG
Nope.

Cow pie and fries - $2.15
acp46
Ah, correct...the cow pies.
evermoreAg
AG
Man, I am old. I remember just about all of this stuff. I even remember the names of the toy store and drug store in Townshire. Anyone else?

And what sequence of stores was in the north end of Townshire (where the new "little" Walmart will be?
BeenSent
AG
Kudos for CowPie and Fries and a Drink for 3.35. No wonder we survived.... started in 81 and never left... well - i did leave CowHop for more adenturous eating... I miss the taco places that were down by where excel is -- with tarps on the ceilings and cheap chips and drings and pretty good food -- dives that didn't dig the wallet... memories about... now if I could only remember the t\faces !!!
SA-AG72
AG
Kelly's Toylane. I only remember Jarrot's Pharmacy dowtown.

I believe Sears was at the north end.

[This message has been edited by SA-AG72 (edited 8/27/2012 6:13a).]
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
And what sequence of stores was in the north end of Townshire (where the new "little" Walmart will be?

I've heard it was a Sears. I remember it being an Albertson's or Kroger in the early 2000s.
ComfortAg
AG
quote:
Sears, Central Texas Hardware, Blinn
aggieann
AG
quote:
Man, I am old. I remember just about all of this stuff. I even remember the names of the toy store and drug store in Townshire. Anyone else?

Kelly's Toy Lane!
Sears . . .
evermoreAg
AG
Correct. Kelly's Toy Lane and Jarrott's Pharmacy (with a great soda fountain). I think the sequence at the north end was Sears, Central Texas Hardware, Blinn, Albertson's and now the soon-to-be mini-Walmart. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

[This message has been edited by evermoreAg (edited 8/27/2012 9:56a).]
SA-AG72
AG
quote:
Born in Bryan in '53.....seen a lot but can only remember so much.

Yuccadoo, I was born in '50 in Bryan and remembering is getting to be a challenge every day.

[This message has been edited by SA-AG72 (edited 8/27/2012 2:14p).]
samag
Don't forget Sew and Sew fabrics and the "world's first laundromat" by Cunningham and Guest. Safeway was on the south end of Townshire for years. (Came to Bryan in '41)
SA-AG72
AG
S&H Green Stamp store was at the south end.
Stearns Design Build
I had a few cherry cokes in the Woolworth after movies at the Place and Queen.

Hugh Stearns
President
Stearns Design Build
StearnsDesignBuild.com
facebook.com/StearnsDesignBuild
PS3D
When did Steak & Ale become Oxford Street, seeing as the building is now rubble?
Yuccadoo
There were lakes near where POM is and we got shot at with rock salt for swimming in them one time. Old man Carter didn't like trespassers. Born in Bryan in 53', been living (College Hills as a kid) here since. I laugh at some of these 'remember whens' because I remember things that came before them. Some of my earliest memories were the jail where Cafe Excell is, The RAO drive in at the circle (University and South College), the neon sign at the Pontiac dealer in downtown Bryan, the old geology building at TAMC with the great fossil castings on the outside and the crystal tower, the steam horn going off at A&M at 8AM and 5 PM, riding my trainer wheeled bike around with my dad on campus and all the great old trees and expanses of green, the want-a-burger on HWY 6, Madeley's pharmacy, and losing my kite in a brisk north wind and looking for it in the open fields that are now the intersection of Texas Avenue and Hwy 30.
PS3D
There had to be more Circle K stores in town. There was the UtoteM on Northgate (next to the Ramada) that was later the smoke shop, the UtoteM turned Circle K turned laundromat turned rubble turned Checkers at Holleman and Welsh, and the Circle K at Longmire and 2818. Any others?
summergal

[This message has been edited by summergal (edited 1/16/2013 9:58p).]
techno-ag
AG
quote:
There had to be more Circle K stores in town. There was the UtoteM on Northgate (next to the Ramada) that was later the smoke shop, the UtoteM turned Circle K turned laundromat turned rubble turned Checkers at Holleman and Welsh, and the Circle K at Longmire and 2818. Any others?

The Texaco @ 6 & 21 was a Circle K "Truxtop" once upon a time.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
I believe there was a Utotem near the intersection of 29th and Texas. It was across from the old police station (former city hall). The front of the building is now a emergency medical facility. When Utotem closed, it became the bus station.

There was a 7-11 at the corner of Anderson and Hollemon in CS. That strip center also housed the first Domino's pizza. (This had to be in the late 70's or early 80's). I spoke to the franchise owner (David Cunningham?) and he explained the concept of pizza restaurant that only delivered. He had moved here from Ann Arbor Michigan, where he had worked at a Domino's.

I thought he was nuts. At that time who would open a pizza place that only delivered.

Oh well.

[This message has been edited by brazos county observer (edited 1/17/2013 7:54a).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.