Who remembers---

145,329 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
capn-mac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Further, Wes was a little irate when Pizza Sin plunked a restaurant a block away, too. Especially, as it was to be one of the then-new "italian cuisine" locations, i.e., serving much the same menu as Farmer's market. (Not that there was any comparison between the salad bars, and, as far as the minestrone, there was no second place.)
PS3D
Newbomb, that postcard lists three locations (Schulenberg, Hallettsville, College Station). That doesn't prove that it is wasn't in the Fowl Digits building (or the Wings N More building, for that matter), because that may not even be College Station.

Then again, if it was built as an Oakridge Smokehouse, it would've had a distinct shape.
Newbomb_Turk
quote:
Then again, if it was built as an Oakridge Smokehouse, it would've had a distinct shape.

jeez - it was and it did. I actually grew up here then and went there many times as a kid.
Scotch
AG
More than once I have read about a slide being in the area that now has Barnes and Nobles/Best Buy. When I grew up in the early 80's there was a huge slide at Pooh's Park just north of Holleman and Texas Ave.
Are those who remember a slide across from campus absolutely sure of that location?

Also, I tend to think Oakridge Smokehouse was built first in the building that became Ladies and Lords, which was located about where the stoplighted entry to Barnes and Nobles is. It just doesn't make sense that it would have been in the future Mama's Pizza building, but that I could not prove one way or the other, before my time.
Newbomb_Turk
The big slide was at Dominik and Texas
Scotch
AG
Then moved to Pooh's Park south of Harvey? Or was a new slide built?

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 5/28/2012 5:26p).]
PS3D
That honestly looks like Pooh's Park. There are a bunch of old Pooh's Park pics on Facebook, but it was before my time, I don't know for sure. And wasn't Danver's there at Dominik and Texas anyway?
Newbomb_Turk
Different slide. The super slide at Dominik and Texas was before Pooh's Park. It was a tall multi-lane slide that you went down using burlap bags.

It was also there before Danver's and any other development on Dominik. This was probably early 1970s.

Looked like this, but was taller and had more lanes:

[This message has been edited by Newbomb_Turk (edited 5/28/2012 6:01p).]
Scotch
AG
Cool, burlap instead of water, probably made it pretty inexpensive to run.
1984Consol
Where are the old pictures of Pooh's Park? I have never see the place, with the exception of the big water slide that you could see as you were driving down Holleman ( I guess it was Holleman cant remember) and the remains of the pooh's park sign. thats all i ever saw of the place.

The building next to 707- I remember a sign that said "Charli" or "Charming Charli" Is that the same CharliMac that posts here? Was that his business?

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/28/2012 7:41p).]

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/28/2012 7:41p).]
Scotch
AG
Pooh's Park photos

Charli was a designer clothing store. Chalie Mac wears old worn-out, but comfortable, t-shirts.
1984Consol
TY for the Pooh's park pictures- I liked their page.

That empty shell of a sign above the Jot 59 building- that was the Pooh's park sign wasnt it? It looks like part of the Jot 59 building in google maps. I wonder if Jot 59 used to be part of Pooh's park at one time?

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 5/28/2012 8:19p).]
PS3D
In the early 2000s (very briefly) there was a vintage clothing store in Eastgate. It was the [something] Monkey Vintage Clothing. Anyone remember it?
ComfortAg
AG
quote:
Also, I tend to think Oakridge Smokehouse was built first in the building that became Ladies and Lords, which was located about where the stoplighted entry to Barnes and Nobles is. It just doesn't make sense that it would have been in the future Mama's Pizza building, but that I could not prove one way or the other, before my time.
This is actually correct, for the most part. In the late 70's this building was a bar, but a patron got in a fight and was punched in the throat by a bouncer and died. It was then the original location of Mama's Pizza. When Mama's owners split up, it became Pasta's (opened by one of the Mama's owners), and Mama's moved down to the Fontana building, and then later to Culpepper Plaza nearest Dominik. The funky sloped roofline was a signature of Oakridge.
Scotch
AG
Ah, that explains it. Thanks.
PS3D
Jot 59 was a washateria that was closed for some time, and had this mural of an Aggie (looked rather stiff) dropping stuff into the washer. When it reopened (as Jot 59, I dunno) the mural was gone.
malibu9in1
Yall remember when there was a bike store behind on the border? 85 or so? I guess it was bull dozed for that shopping center.
techno-ag
AG
Yeah Schwinn was there for a while. Later it was Computer Access' second location. Their first was across that lot facing Texas, their third and final was at the corner of Jersey & Texas.
bryanhome
I thought the first super slide was behind the old Saber Motel where La Quinta is now.
TKDMom
<i> Cool, burlap instead of water, probably made it pretty inexpensive to run.</i>

So long as you were able to stay firmly on the burlap. Had a friend when we were kids who slipped off his as we were going down a super slide in ETX. Got horrible burns on his arms and legs from the hot surface of the slide.
PS3D
There's a section of unused parking lot west of the old Summit station (demolished), south of the old Aggieland Inn (closed), and east of the Meridian Complex apartments. Anyone know what it was used for?
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
There's a section of unused parking lot west of the old Summit station (demolished), south of the old Aggieland Inn (closed), and east of the Meridian Complex apartments. Anyone know what it was used for?

Travel Kleen Car Wash. Signs are still up but it's been gone for a long time.
PS3D
James Coney Island built the building on University where Taco Bell is today. What was there before that? An aerial drawing shows some sort of L-shaped building but in the back of the property, closer to the Mud Lot than the street.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
James Coney Island built the building on University where Taco Bell is today. What was there before that? An aerial drawing shows some sort of L-shaped building but in the back of the property, closer to the Mud Lot than the street.

Not sure what you're seeing...
PS3D
It was a Project HOLD document on Northgate from the 1980s. I forgot the link, it's hard to navigate (or search) for ANYTHING. Point being: what came before James Coney Island?

Also, who remembers the Great Shell Conversion?
capn-mac
Walding's Texaco.
Bill (I think) Walding even ordered maroon roof tile instead of the stock red for the "spanish olive" station format.
PS3D
Thanks!

OK, what about this one, and another issue I've been wondering about: Holleman Drive West was originally a dead-end road from FM 2818 to around the Woodway area, with those duplexes (or whatever) that face Holleman on the north side was originally built. Did that original segment have a different name?
Scotch
AG
"Corregidor" may have been the name of that segment of Holleman when first built, but I hardly went over that way so I could very well be wrong.
Scotch
AG
Just looked on a map and there is still a street there with that name. I know that the streets didn't all link up back in the early 90's like they do today, but that segment of Holleman may have always gone by Holleman.
Scotch
AG
One of the early townhomes/apartment type places on that part of Holleman went by the name of Walden, iirc.

Just remembered, I think I had it reversed. Corregidor used to be Sourhwest Parkway, but I guess they changed the name when it was realized that segment would not be connected to the original section of SW Pkwy.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 6/16/2012 10:45p).]
PS3D
Yeah, Corregidor was the original Southwest Parkway segment and finally renamed in the mid-2000s when it was obvious it would never connect. Also note that Corregidor is very wide, enough to fit two lanes in each direction and a turn lane in.

But back in the 1980s, there was a time when Holleman did go out to roughly modern-day Jones-Butler and stopped. At about the time Holleman extended across the railroad, Luther Street closed their crossing off, but that was before my time.
PS3D
Thai Taste, at Northgate (not the location at Cow Hop/Alicia's/Crazy Cajuns'). Where was it? I've heard a LOT about it, but not so much about Nipa Hot at the Sparks Building.

Going way back, wasn't there an adult video store in the 1970s in that building that was raided by the state?

Less far back, what about Bar 315? Was there something before it? Or Fitzwilly's? It was Two Pesos in the early 1990s, what about the 1980s?
isitjustme
AG
Thai taste was where Vietnamese taste was on college main. Very slow but very good.

Before 2 pesos, it was bogies. Sneaky Pete played there. Flying tomato pizza was also there, but I can't remember if that was before or after 2 pesos.

Btw, 2 pesos lost a suit over similar styles to taco cabana. That's why all 2 pesos closed.
Clucky
315 was Coup D' Ville back in the late 90s- early 00's. They had a shot called a flaming frogs ass that was pretty much pure grain alcohol, I think.
PS3D
The sign from Brazos Furniture Clearance Center is peeling, revealing the reverse side, a sign with pink lettering on a black background. I wonder what it says.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.