Who remembers---

145,335 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
ComfortAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I believe he was referring to the building that's now Daisy Dukes. That used to be the campus movie theater.
Does anyone remember how long they showed "Rocky Horror Movie" at the Campus on Saturday nights? Seems like a year or two back around '80.
Clucky
Plantation Oaks, did have a bar - and I believe it was in the space you were talking about.

My Mom said the bar at Plantation Oaks was the first one she went to. When I was in college, I knew a bunch of Bonfire guys that had the 5 bedroom apartment that was were the bar used to be. Had some awesome parties there.

The "hard-luck" music store was Marooned records...also in that space for a short while was "Condom Station" - a novelty store that sold all sorts of prophylatic devices and gag gifts.
RDH80
AG
Briarwood had a club too....Zacharias Greenhouse (or something like that)
phil.girl
Does anyone remember the juice bar in Northgate? I'm thinking it was there about 1997 or so. Seems like it lasted a month or two. They had juices and breakfast tacos.

Anyone know why they put a sign over Bottle Cap Alley? Not exactly what I ever thought of as a tourist attraction...

I also loved Disc-Go-Round. They were so nice, and they took Aggie Bucks!
capn-mac
To phil.girl, there are a number of assertions about why there is a sign, and why it is only at one end of the alley.

One of the never-stated 'goals' in creating "The Promenade" was to "reverse" the frontage of NG in that area. (There's also a possibility that the planning staff thought the "backs" _were_ the "fronts" too.)

There's a strong possibility that the elevations "needed" something visually to span the gap of the alley, and the sign did that.

The sign has lights, but to my knowledge, they've never been lit.
superunknown
AG
Marooned (as I remember it) was at the end of the block. I know at one point Condom Station and Marooned existed at the same time, and some of the places that occupied the Condom Station location included Dead Lazlo's and the Copasetic Cafe.
Clucky
Yeah- you're right about Marooned and Condom Station being open at the same time.

Post removed:
by user
Yuccadoo
quote:
that super slide was at Pooh's Park

Not the one I am talking about, around 1963 for about 18 months. It was in the parking lot where the subsequent "Black Hat Saloon" was on Texas Ave.....remember that? It was a remodel of the Oakridge Smokehouse, IIRC.

BTW, I helped paint the Black Hat Saloon sign.
M3Manx
AG
Ok, here goes, Kesami Sandwich Shop and the German Restaurant on Northgate, remember? Miranda's Bar had live bands -
M3Manx
AG
And for a few months before Dead Solid Perfect, it was Ali Baba's Shish Kabob restaurant - who remembers "the green slime" apartments on First Street? And, Charley's Grocery?
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
Then the stucco building which stopped being a fiveplex to become Alamo, then Didkie's, then Uncle Charlie's (half-donkey BBQ out back). Which lasted until it became Dos Pesos before becoming Flying Tomato. To later become Fitzwillie's.

Fitzwilly's was a movie theater?

As for the bar at Plantation Oaks... The same lady has been managing that complex off and on since it opened. She told me not too long ago about what a happening place it was in its hey day. IIRC, there were actually two clubs in the complex. The other one was used as storage and recently converted into apartments.

Also, the current Briarwood Apartments was the original Plantation Oaks. I've heard that Briarwood used to be two separate complexes, which would make sense since it has two physical addresses.
M3Manx
AG
Has anyone mentioned Backstage Restaurant at Northgate? Another Bill Patch venture - the best chicken fried steak and perfect gravy - yumm
M3Manx
AG
Owner, creator of Dead Solid Perfect - Searcy and the name of his german shepherd? Was the dog's name Andre? Bet you don't remember.
taxpreparer
AG
quote:
The Schwinn shop was back there

That became Computer Access for a while ...

... and before that, it was Dr. O.C. Coopers medical office.

I remember Charlie's Grocery, the super slide (where 707 Texas Ave is), and Ralph's Pizza at Northgate. Also, there was a drug store (Jon's Pharmacy, I think) at Lincoln and Texas that served "phosphates at the soda counter.

Slocum
That was Take Out Express
Partners started on Holleman & Anderson
Then moved to Eastgate/Walton until it closed
TXAggie76
Anyone mentioned Pelican's Wharf? I worked there during college.
capn-mac
Was Jon's in the building which is now T-Mobile? Or, was it further back on Lincoln? I've vague memories of a closed-up building there.

Ah memories.

I remember when Boonville/158 was a dangerous two-lane asphalt road in the dark, and out in the boonies. If mostly for reminding of how 105 used to be, back when it seemed like 7/8 of students were "from Houston" when asked.

In my time in town
Post Oak mall was built
Fedmart was finished
Westgate shopping center went in
All of the Wall*Marts went in.
TI plant went in.
Westinghouse plant.
Aggieland Credit Union.
The rise of First American Bank
Townshire and Manor East near-razed and renovated.
The entire University Drive East corridor was built.
Kyle Field got a third deck; the six-story addition to the Library completed
I worked on "New Copperfield Elementary" which became Sam Houston. And the Poultry Science center. Also the LDS church on Deacon in CS.

Hard, some days, to not see the empty fields, or the previous names on places. Or to see that some things are worse, and some things are better.

Now, if such knowledge and experience could just get me a job . . . might be a good new year.
Rex Racer
AG
I bought the tv in my bedroom at McDuff Electronics in August of '89.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
capn, there is a whole group of people here on MyBCS that likely hates everyone of those developments you listed. They would be very happy if time never progressed past 1950 for BCS.

I for one love the community and and impressed with its growth and have called BCS home for over 25 years.
capn-mac
Marooned, we're running apace, I believe in our time here, and for the affections, too.

I remember the Oil Boom in the 80's, when te burn-off flares lit the sky in a surreal orange glow you could see driving around 2818 or the bypass. I remember that same boom raising apartment rents from $2-250 to $3-350/mo, too. That's when a lot of places were built. Just in time for the "oil bust" in '85.

I remember when they put in the "main" post offices in Bryan and CS, and then closed all the branch offices, like Redmond Terrace; or the one on Texas there at Dunn (which I think is Fatty's Smoke shop now). And the Post Office on Cavitt on <drumroll> Post Office drive (Blinn is in there now).

I remember when all the car dealerships were on Texas, and not on the bypass, too.

I remember working for Midwest Cable, and not Community Cablevision, back when we had competition in the market (pointless competition, but competition nonetheless).

Would I go back to those times? Nope. They are exactly where they ought be, in the past.
Besides, even if I could go back, no one would believe me then anymore than they do now.
I mean really, Augustus Farnholme shows up and tells us they found a "common sense" elixir and put in the water, and, duh, they burned the Plaza down to put a shuttle museum in <G>
LakeCity
deleted

[This message has been edited by LakeCity (edited 1/2/2011 8:38a).]
DoubleTap45
Hey, anyone remember the name of that catfish place that used to be at the northwest corner of South College & Carson? Back in the 90s sometime? They served hush puppies & tartar sauce (I think) the way many mexican places serve chips & hot sauce, and specialized in lunch portions of fried catfish. Yummy!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
^
|
|
|
Big Daddy's

It was a great family catfish place. Then the owners for some reason turned about half of it into a bar and catfish place and there went the family business. It lasted about 8 months after that.

Fleen
Who remembers Hot Legs? Never ate there but remember it to be short lived...
rw1987
AG
Double Daves where Mi Cocina is now
Clucky
I remember Hot Legs, where Pop's used to be/Epicures is now.
76Ag
AG
I lived in B/CS from 1956 until 1986. I remember most all the stuff on here. I wish I could move back home...

"I'd rather be a Texas Aggie"
MiMi
S
quote:
Big Daddy's

It was a great family catfish place. Then the owners for some reason turned about half of it into a bar and catfish place and there went the family business. It lasted about 8 months after that.

Was this before or after it was Boondocks and had the old boat outside near the bar area? I loved those hushpuppies!
capn-mac
Pretty sure it was Big Daddy's then Boondocks before Johnny moved the Cue in next door.

But, memory is a fickle thing.
capn-mac
Been thinking (due to this thread) of the places that had the most 'revolving' of names.

Tommy D's "Z"-named places do not help any at all.

But, one that does leap to mind is over catty-corner to Yesterday's.
In reverse order: Las Lomas; [something--inside was all black and orange]; Fajita Rita's; Chelsea St Pub.
Story on being CSP was that the gal who bought the franchise had a target profit figure, met it, and vacated the franchise happy (unlike the franchisee in the POM's CSP).
Clucky
OK, gonna try this....I can only go back so far on this one though,

Fontanas-->Cazadores--> Snuffers--> El Arroyo --> Chinese Place--> Mama's Pizza ...

I think I left some out, and I know there were more before that, but that's before my time. Please feel free to add to the list. This has to be the most "revolving" location.
taxpreparer
AG
Clucky, go back far enough, and you get to Fontana's (again) > Coach Norton's (This would be 1968, and I don't now if there was something before that.)

AG
There had to be something in between Snuffer's and Cazadores, eh?

And I really liked El Arroyo. Bummed that it closed.
RDH80
AG
quote:
In reverse order: Las Lomas; [something--inside was all black and orange]; Fajita Rita's; Chelsea St Pub

...; Rebels

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.