Who remembers---

145,359 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
drivinwest
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Schlotskys at the corner of highway 30 and Texas near 3C BBQ. There was another one on main street closer to Bryan in a very small building. Both were owned by Gary.

Yep, I worked at the one across from Fajita Rita's and in the Lack's Furniture shopping center where Quizmo's is now. Of course then there was a Winn Dixie where Lack's is (or was) and across the parking lot was a pool hall called Clicks.
southcsag
Kelly's Toylane---Townshire Shopping Center
MAMAW
Foster's Grocery on FM 60
Dead Solid Perfect
Pepe's on Dominic
Triangle Bowling Alley
Snook Cafe
The original Snook Bakery
Not Yours
Wow
11 pages and no one remembers Partners Food Delivery
No wonder it is out of business
AggiePhil
AG
I remember Partners as late as 2000 or 2001. Always thought it was an odd name. Whatever happened to them?
1984Consol
The Energizer thread that keeps going and going and...
rsincs
AG
I remember College Station ending at the corner of Jersey (George Bush) and Texas Ave. The last store in town was Gibson's where Bed Bath and Beyond currently stands. From there it was pasture and an occasional farm house all the way to Navasota on a 2 lane hiway.
Fleen
What was the bar under the water tower where HEB is now?
Mr. Griswold
El Chico
Fleen
Before El Chico... It was "Something... Under the Water Tower"
BlueMiles
AG
quote:
"Something... Under the Water Tower"

Wasn't Allen Honda there for a while?
superunknown
AG
that would be Charlie's...under the water tower.
Newbomb_Turk
There was a car dealer under the water tower before El Chico and before Charlie's. Charlie's used their old building. Was that where Garlyn Shelton was before he bought out Fred Brown?
superunknown
AG
It might have been University Mitsubishi. don't remember who owned it, but I do remember a car lot there. Or, I think there was a car lot after Charlie's but before El Chico. Not really entirely sure.
Fleen
Charlie's is what I remember... It was obviously an old garage bay turned bar...
EVA3
AG
quote:
I must have been to young to drive when Rao's was around but I do remember a drive-in at the lakes by Bryan Municipal GC. This was on South College Ave.

This was before my time, but I remember my parents referring to this as "Bill Barra's (sp?) Root Beer Stand." Back in their HS days (SFA '57 and '63), there were often Friday and/or Saturday night ropings. There was a guy named Tracy (something) who had a horse that drank root beer. After the ropings he would come by the root beer stand for burgers and root beer, and he'd get a bucket of root beer for his horse.
RDH80
AG
Was Bud Ward the dealer under the water tower?. It was a Volkswagen dealer, and then he added Porsche & Audi. Yes, there was a Porsche/Audi dealership in College Station in the early to mid '80's
Newbomb_Turk
Yes! Bud Ward Volkswagon - under the water tower in College Station. That was their slogan.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
What was the Chinese Buffet place (circa '94) right next to the Wings & More on Texas Ave. called? I looved that place.......apparently I was the ONLY one.
ComfortAg
AG
quote:
Now if my 15 year old Magnavox would just die, I could upgrade to a new 46" LCD, but the Mag still looks great after all these years.
Two years later and it still looks great!
MAMAW
Who remembers the Super Slide on Texas Avenue?
Yuccadoo
I went down it many times as a kid.....got a couple of good skid marks on my body when getting off the little towel you used to ride on. It was like 3 or 4 whoops, then the stairs to get back to the top. Big and blue, IIRC, about where the OLD Red Lobster was? There was a Want-A-Burger there, too...a tiny little place that was around until about 1970 or so, next to what was an Esso gas station (Andy worked there) and the pharmacy that had the soda bar in it on TX AVE. Also was a doctor's office there at East Gate when I was single digit old.

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 12/28/2010 10:46p).]
nanaof4
that super slide was at Pooh's Park and I remember the rootbeer drive in on College and Rountree I think is the street. We used to steal the trays and mugs from there. Also we ripped out some speakers from the Skyway twin on East 29th street. Criminal mishief back then was bad with us kids. But it was fun to store a bunch of street signs and stuff in our closets.
Newbomb_Turk
A&W and Tastee-Freeze drive-ins next to each other on Texas Ave. (around where the Fairfield Inn/Super 8 motels are now).
phil.girl
I was just thinking of Partner's the other day! I didn't realize they weren't around anymore.
capn-mac
Many, many memories here.

In the dark ages, before cell phones, the interwebs and all--1978 it was a different place.

The Plitt family had a two-screen movie theater in the Skaggs center; this is now Harry's (wonder if they ever knocked back through to the smaller screen are where the laser-tag used to be.

The Schulmann's had a three screen operation in Manor East Mall, but that was a couple miles' walk from campus.

The Campus theater was right across from the Northside dorms in those days. I saw Animal House, Deer Hunter, and Alien, all in first-release over there. Pr0n was a Dead Week/Finals Week thing. RHPS kept the place going a bit until it moved to the Plitt.

The Onion Ring (aka "the sl*t hut" was at the west end of University, the only thing west of that was the Vet school; kountry inn was half-way to Snook (or seemed that way). Was Highway 60 in those days, too.

Across from the Campus Theater was a defunct Conoco station. It later became 12th Man Drinking Association before becoming Thirsty Turtle (before being torn down and made into a 7-11, which put the U-Tote-M on Patricia out of business).

Then the stucco building which stopped being a fiveplex to become Alamo, then Didkie's, then Uncle Charlie's (half-donkey BBQ out back). Which lasted until it became Dos Pesos before becoming Flying Tomato. To later become Fitzwillie's. Dixie Chicken (still had a barber chair in back), then Miranda's (which was a townie joint, and charged a dollar to 'keep the college kids out'--a move so successful Don was able to buy them cheap in '79). Then Dudley's. The old alley-turned arcade (now 315). The venerable Cow Hop was next--now Hatter's. Then, the Back Stage; now part of Wells Fargo, with Charlie's grocery with "hand dipped Bluebell ice cream."

Past the Bookstore was Wes Gideon's Farmer's Market Po'Boy's Sandwich shop. Now Basil's. The upstairs of Basil's was a copy center which used typewriters to turn out printed items like term papers. The skeevy 'adult' arcade was upstairs over Loupot's until the Sheriff raided into bankruptcy.

Where Gatsby's is now was the other drycleaner; across the way where V/Lounge is now was the other. That one burned down, and was a number of things, including a hard-luck music store.
Where the Corner now is was the Campus Photo Center--a wonderland of photographic equipment, if well beyond the means of poor college kids.
capn-mac
Ok, I'm having a lapse.

Where O'Bannon's is now was a landromat, before becoming a Whole Earth store before becoming a pool and beer joint (and Joe moved that down to College and Carson) before Don put in Hole-in-Wall.

Now, next to that, where Paddock Lane now is, there was George and AP Boyette's old office, then a restaurant that had an eclectic menu and a couple of giant fish tanks--but, hanged if I can remember the name of it.

Memory is a fickle thing.

Like the name of the Tex-mex joint that was where the FedEx-Kinkos is now (they'd never use a lime, only lemons).

Wow, where the entrance to Harry's is was The Sports Club, a truly terrible bar. And a source of much confusion as peanut Gallery may have been there before moving out on Welborn to then become Astrapedes (and is now the Twin City donation center).

Where Coldwell Banker Realty is now, was the restaurant "Last National Bank." Which later became the only sushi bar in town; it was just 5 years too early.

Randall's went in, and Marco's went in over there--truly the least memorable Tex-Mex ever served; Haiku has been a much better use of that space.
capn-mac
Ah, back to 1978. Coming down Texas from University, there was the original Grapevine in front of the Saber Inn. Then Papa's (later Pasta's) Pizza. Same building was Los Palmas, a very nice, but very doomed pacific-themed mexican place. The Schwinn shop was back there, then Red Lobster, and the Mobil there at Lincoln.

Military Depot was a U-Tote-M. Back in the rest of that was Murphy's which varied from being being a townie bar and a cycle-club bar to a real dive. Across the street was Spakie's, where you needed to be a white belt to have the privilege of ordering a pizza (and a zip to sit in the green vinyl booths). That's now Hornback's (and it's hard for me to not picture the black walls and blacklight-paint Corps stuff on the walls.

Mama's was (or maybe not) there. Sambo's was where all the LE in the County got lunch mid-shift. After that, it was lean until the What-a-burger on Dominic, with the other Pepe's and Danvers next to that.

I remember going to Beef-n-brew and 3C BBQ, but not much else out along Harvey (needed folks in town to drive over that way, let alone pay for stuff).
capn-mac
Oh, and ComfortAg, thanks for starting this up.

Second TV I ever bought was from Rex. I still have that 28" Panasonic, power supply card went out three year's ago, in the set's 12th year.

Looked it up, they have repair cards for it, up in Grand Prairie at the service center--for $212, not something I'm spending on a $100 tv <G>
techno-ag
AG
quote:
The Schwinn shop was back there

That became Computer Access for a while ...
AggiePhil
AG
Fitzwilly's was a movie theater?
1984Consol
MMMM...99 cent margaritas at Two Pesos...MMMMMM...
pattikake11
I bought two 21 inch color Sharp televisions from Rex and they are still working today. Best investment I ever made.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
"Fitzwilly's was a movie theater?"

I believe he was referring to the building that's now Daisy Dukes. That used to be the campus movie theater.
SlimM
AG
Seeing all the talk on the early pages of this thread about the Doux Chene club reminded me of a question... Plantation Oaks has a huge "penthouse" over their office overlooking the pool now that doesn't seem like it was always a living space. Did that used to be a club or something too?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.