Who remembers---

145,351 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
aalden
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow, this thread really brings back memories. We were in CS from 78 to 98. I was trying to look up the name of the nightclub in Doux Chene and found it was "Dallas". A couple of mentions:

- Fish Richards, an upscale restaurant in an old house on Welborn road. I 1st ate snails there.

- Kelly's corner, owned by Kelly Parker, was actually named something else before he bought it.

- The small lakes out at the old Texas Instruments plant out at the end of Harvey road. The TAMU waterski team used to practice there.

- I lived in Plantation Oaks and Briarwood before the mall was built across the street

- The old (Central?) hardware store in downtown Bryan, it was fantastic

- Schlotskys at the corner of highway 30 and Texas near 3C BBQ. There was another one on main street closer to Bryan in a very small building. Both were owned by Gary.

- I saw Julie's Place mentioned, had my rehearsal dinner there and we were married at the Lutheran church in Southwood Valley that was partially underground.

- "Toadfish Ordinary" on Highway 6 leaving town. It was an old gas station turned gift shop.

- Lake Placid - lots of free spirits living there

- A&M parties at the Quonset huts?

- Getting a Masters or PhD in "Beer" from Double Daves and the pepperoni rolls there.

- Milk shakes from the creamery on campus.

- Twice-baked potatoes at the Grapevine

- I tried to buy a baking pan in Gibsons on a Sunday and couldn't because of "blue" laws.

- The "Schmaltz" (sp) sandwich shop near Swensons. I proposed to my wife at Swensons.

- The old dairy barn and homestead at the top of Longmire drive near Rock Prairie rd. It burned down.

- The Cafe Excel building was an old municipal building and the police use to have a workout room in there.

- Some restaurant near the dam at lake Sommerville that served great chicken fried steak??

I'm sure we'll think of some more later.
Cheers.
AgFan1999
AG
1984-

It's been gone for a while now. Maybe 5-6 years? Not totally sure how many years.
1984Consol
Hey aalden- i did not see Fort Shiloh mentionrd there Awesome food! Our family would go there on Friday nights about once a month as a special occasion.
76Ag
AG
Having lived in B/CS from 1956-1986 I remember 99.9% of every place y'all have mentioned. It sure was fun reading all the entries.

Did anyone remember the Tastee-Freeze on the east side of Texas Ave. just north of University Drive? Went there a few times in HS. It hade great burgers.

"I'd rather be a Texas Aggie"
fighterpilot
S
Wasn't the Chicken called the Aggie Den in the early '70s? I hear my brother and cousins talk about that and "Mom's".
76Ag
AG
Yes, it was the Aggie Den. The arcade out at Woodstone was the Aggie Arcade. I know some of the guys that ran it.
nanaof4
Ages ago, where Polly's Cocina is on Hwy 21 (formerly Mi Cocina) used to be a hamburger place called the HiFi and what about the Peanut Gallery on Wellborn between 2818 and G. Bush...
Psychag
AG
I was manager at Godfathers Pizza at Culpepper plaza. Games Galore next door. ROXZ in Post Oak Mall (Eye Optical Place now)-I met my wife there. Casa Ole across from ROXZ. Mr. G's-about only place to hear live music in the 80's. Cow Hop-Best Burgers ever! Fajita Ritas-best Fajitas. MC2-only place to hear alternative music during the 80's.
Yuccadoo
Who remembers getting a burger at DSP? (Dead Solid Perfect). It was in the same building that is now a restaurant across from Cafe Eccell. No exhaust vents, smoke pouring out a coupla windows in the kitchen, made the best burgers commercially available in the world (IMO).

Better yet, who remembers when Cafe Eccell was the CSPD station. (I do because when I was a bad child, my dad used to take me over there and drive by like he was going to haul me in). That always got my attention.

How about the REO? It was on the roundabout (yep) at the intersections of South College and University Dr, and was called "the Circle". Behind the Reo (a 50's style drive in with car hops) was the Circle Drive In theatre. First time I ever rode in the trunk of a car was right there!

Yes, I was born in CS (well, technically, the OLD St. Joseph's hospital on 25th? Street in Bryan) back in '53, went to Consol HS and graduated from A&M eventually in 78'. I could post up "do you remembers" all night.

Allden-Bill Patch built out Fish Richards on Wellborn. The restaurant got it's name from a freshman that carved his name Richards on a wall that was found when they were remodelling. Bill was a good friend (RIP).

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 3:44a).]

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 3:48a).]
fighterpilot
S
aalden mentions Gibson's. I remember they had an AWESOME sporting goods dept. Wally World and K-Mart shoulda took lessons.
76Ag
AG
Some of our favorites were.

1. Inter Urban Eating House
2. One Potato Two Potato
3. Farmer's Market at NG
4. Brazos Bottom - Chas worked there as well as at DSP. And yes, the best burgers ever.
5. Fort Shiloh.
6. Mama's Pizza. One of the first times I went I discovered that my last little league coach was one of the owners.
6. Egg Roll House
7. Pellican's Wharf
8. Deluxe Burger Bar
9. Grapevine (my wife liked it not me as much).
10. La Taqueria

Sometimes I wish we could go back in time a bit.

"I'd rather be a Texas Aggie"
Shinerz
This thread will never die!
Newbomb_Turk
quote:
How about the REO? It was on the roundabout (yep) at the intersections of South College and University Dr, and was called "the Circle". Behind the Reo (a 50's style drive in with car hops) was the Circle Drive In theatre. First time I ever rode in the trunk of a car was right there!

The Rao Drive-In:

[This message has been edited by Newbomb_Turk (edited 2/16/2010 1:40p).]
Yuccadoo
Misspelled it but very cool to see a picture of it!

When I was in college, we always put the George Carlin treatment on all of the restaurants, so you had Pelican's Bharf, Casa Ptomaine, etc.

In high school, the Deluxe Burger Bar was referred to as "The $lut Hut". Don't ask....

Thanks,

Yucca D

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 8:06p).]

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/16/2010 8:07p).]
bigloco1
What about Perry's or Woolworth over in downtown Bryam. HiFi burger across from Tom's on Hwy 21, and let's not forget Weiners or Foodtown-Foodtown, lowest prices in town...

Taco Villa and Tinsleys, may they rest in peace
JaxDad
AG
I remember we had a Service Mechandice but can't think of its location. Was it the Mall?
AggiePhil
AG
Service Merchandise was in the mall where the men's Dillard's is now.
76Ag
AG
I must have been to young to drive when Rao's was around but I do remember a drive-in at the lakes by Bryan Municipal GC. This was on South College Ave.

In HS we hung out at Triangle Bowl. In retrospect, I should have been learning golf instead...
1984Consol
WOW! What a great picture of the Rao! When was that- 50's, 60's? Did you take the picture? I obviously was not in CS when this was around but I absolutely LOVE seeing things like that! Thank you SO MUCH!

Why did they get rid of the circle?
Yuccadoo
They got rid of the circle because it was the sight of too many accidents, I assume. Or someone decided it was just too United Kingdom/European.

I looked carefully in the Rao picture to see if I recognized any of the cars. Nothing rang a bell.

The only drive in restaurant I remember near the Municipal Golf Course was the predecessor to The Texan Restaurant, and IIRC, it being open in the late 50's and early 60's as the Texan Drive in. My dad used to take us out on Saturday evenings and stop by Shipley's donuts, and then drive downtown off Bryan Street and Main street to see the neon Pontiac auto dealer sign and swing by the John Deere dealership at the end of Main. The old Bryan power plant was down there by the railroad tracks....the units ran on bunkers (a heavy fuel oil) loaded from rail cars, I presume.

Yes, life could be a bit dull in BCS back then. I remember a barber shop at northgate as well as Joe Fisher's Yamaha shop, both on the drag and subsequently behind the campus theatre. When the Yamaha shop moved off the drag, it seems like that building (now a shot bar) became a record store for a while. In college, there was Kesami's sandwich shop...I think that was Consolidated HS graduate Kesley Blomberg and her husband?

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/17/2010 5:53a).]

[This message has been edited by Yuccadoo (edited 2/17/2010 5:55a).]
1984Consol
The only record store I remember in Northgate was Marooned Records on College Main I beleive. From what I can tell on Google Maps, the building where Marooned Records was is now called V-Bar. Disc go round was across the street from marooned Records- they sold used CD's.

I also remember a store right next to Marooned Records called Condom Station that sold, well--ahem I never went there. I guess the condom sales didnt go to well...
nanaof4
there was a drivein or the corner of College Ave and that street that runs in front of the Girl Scout house, if that's still there....the drivein was the A & W rootbeer drivein cuz I remember some kids used to steal the trays that hung on your windows with your order...and also Tip Top records on Coulter..
76Ag
AG
First there was the Sound Shop at NG in the early 1970's and that turned into Budget Tapes and Records. I remember the circle at University and South College very well.

Tip Top was right accross from the HS I graduated from but I found out the NG stores were cheaper and friendlier.
justcallmeharry
S
What fun! One of my first jobs during high school was at Coach Norton's - I bussed tables. I think that became Denny's and later the ill-fated Sambo's. Baskin-Robbins - I also worked there scooping ice cream. The place was packed - we were all so excited to have BR in our community. No mention of Jubilee Junction? I worked there one summer, I think I was 14 or 15. Those jobs paid about 50 cents per hour.

I worked at Redmond Terrace Drugs during my junior and senior years at Consol. I delivered prescriptions, worked the soda fountain, set up a tropical fish department, and basically did whatever my boss told me to do. ($1.00 per hour.)

I do recall coming to work after school one afternoon and learning that my boss, Joe Shaffer, had been shot during a robbery. The first such shooting in many, many years. He refused to hand the keys to the locked narcotics to the robber and took a bullet for refusing to do so. Luckily he survived. (Times have definitely changed.)

Ralph's Pizza anyone? Across from Eastgate - I think there is a pool hall there now - Hornback's or something? The garage band I was in way back then (The Lemon Resistance - I have no idea why we named our band that) played there once in a while for $15 and two pizzas. It was a 7 piece band. Do the math. But, it was a lot of fun.

I remember the Whataburger being built across from Redmond Terrace when I worked at the drug store, and we thought we were in high cotton. Nobody mentioned the A&W Drive-In near the intersection of University and what is now Texas Avenue.

And, there were drive-in movies in Bryan and College Station. One on 29th and one right across from campus.

When our family first moved here, it was not uncommon too see stray cattle wandering down Dominik or even in our yard. There was really not much south of Dominik. I remember when the water tower was built that was recently torn down for the somewhat new HEB in CS.

Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. Nothing is constant but change.

BW
barbara314tx
The original Skyway drive in Bryan was on the corner of villa maria and texas, where Heb is.

Swanzy's cafeteria - where the pawn shop is in the townshire shopping center.

Sokowiki - on texas ave, somebody already mentioned that, but i loved that store!

Lewis Shoe Store - downtown bryan, just down from Penneys

Akins Mens wear - downtown

Jarrots Pharmacy - downtown

Monterrey House restaurant - across from Townshire.

The Collegiate shop - across from townshire

Kelly's toylane - Townshire shopping center originally, then Culpepper Plaza

Bucaneer Drive in, on College ave near Coulter

Sew N Sew - fabric shop downtown Bryan

Cuckoo burger - yuck!

Burger Chef - another yuck

The Clothes Horse - on 29th street

Lingerie World - on 29th street

The Panther Den - across from Anson Jones

Randy Sims BBQ - on Texas where Jose's is

Robo car wash on texas near where Weingartens grocery store was near the bend

Orr's grocery store downtown bryan

Jewel T on Texas near Lubys

There was a restaurant in Doux chene apartment called the Mansard House, in 75. It was before its time.

TJ's bar at the 707 complex on Texas in College Station. (not tj mccords that was on Harvey)
Youngblood's restaurant on college was the bomb!

And there was another theater in College station that i haven't seen mentioned... Sun Theater, above one of the other shops at northgate, and that's all i'm gonna say about that!

I could go on forever, but I won't!
76Ag
AG
Small world. My first job was at B.Robbins.
Mr. Griswold
Thanks for sharing the memories Bruce!
1984Consol
How was your vacation this year, Mr. Griswold?
Shinerz
Man, this thread just keeps going and going!
bryanhome
Swanzy's in Townshire was 1st Hotard's. Anyone remember Britt's in Manor East Mall.
rw1987
AG
ttt
Fleen
the 3 screen theater where Harry's is now...
Baseball32
What about Tom's BBQ I remember going there the first time I went to an Aggie game back in 1988 with a friend of mine. That was when I decieded I wanted to be an AGGIE. The town has changed alot from those days
Fleen
Mmmmm, Tom's... Meat, cheese, bread, pickles, butcher paper and a knife...
Fleen
Of course, I remember when Bastrop was nothing but a Dairy Queen on the side of the road as a half way stop between CS and San Antonio...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.