Who remembers---

145,366 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
AggiePhil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bowie School--a question for you guys. I'm working on a bunch of [hopefully interesting] pictures to upload, at which time I'll start a new thread. But in the meantime, could y'all shed some light on the history of this school located at W. 26th St. and S. Sims Ave. in Bryan? I couldn't find out anything about it online and would like to hear whatever you know. Thanks!
LWInk2
Phil - Could it be the site for the original West Side School built on S. 26th? Not sure about this. But the school went through several renovations through the years. It was built in 1905. The photo caption in "Brazos County History" (Brundidge, p. 116) says that telegraph wires along the railroad tracks are behind it and Free Will Baptist Church is to the right.

I'll keep looking.
1984Consol
Who remembers the Winn-Dixie supermarket on the corner of SW Pkwy and Texas and the Scholtski's next door?
jiffer
AG
I've been missing the monster chop at Royers... the chocolate chip pie too!

Wasn't there another restaurant at that same location that was some kind of mix and match pasta place? You could pick your pasta and pick your sauce...
19Bryan67
Many changes have happened in twenty years to this once little quite Central Texas town. Forgot about the dealership under the water tower, when was that?
gettingitdone
+1 for Woolworths and eating in the diner.

Perry Bros,,,and they had the best slushes.
AggiePhil
AG
quote:
Phil - Could it be the site for the original West Side School built on S. 26th? Not sure about this. But the school went through several renovations through the years. It was built in 1905. The photo caption in "Brazos County History" (Brundidge, p. 116) says that telegraph wires along the railroad tracks are behind it and Free Will Baptist Church is to the right.

I'll keep looking.

Could be. Here's a photo of the front of the school. All that it says at the top is "Bowie School", but I found a brief little thing on the internet that *might* suggest that it was once Bowie Elementary School. Judging from the playground in back, that might be a safe bet. Surely somebody knows more though. Oh, and in case I wasn't clear in my original post, the school appears to have been abandoned for quite some time.

[This message has been edited by AggiePhil (edited 1/1/2009 11:54p).]
Tommy Garcia
It's been abondoned for at least 20 years....My wife seems to think that BVCASA in the early 90's, used that building but I don't think it's been anything but an Elementary School. The dealership under the CS water tower was Fred Brown Volkswagon BMW Subaru I believe. My memory isn't what it used to be though so I could be mistaken.
Scotch
AG
Bowie Elementary- Home of "West Side Pride"

I think the old Bowie would make a neat hotel, just a block away from Downtown, but it requires so much renovation it will probably just be demolished someday.

The dealer under the water tower used to be a car dealer, I think from Madisonville, with a fairly common surname. I want to say he was the same dealer who moved to the Bend of Texas in Bryan.
timphysicaltherapy
Being 49 y/o now I remember Rosewood junction located where Margrita Rocks is now located. The group who wrote "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" sang it and performed there in 1979.

Country Kitchen out on 60 served all you can eat catfish, chicken, family bowls of massed potatoes and all the fixins. Served beer in mason jars.

Youngbloods was the best mom and pop food after football practice, few beers and other party favors!!! the fried chicken and gravey were to die for.

Monterry House was was in the middle of Woodstone. I ate there many of time.

Coach Melvin "Maddog" Robinson TAMU Defensive Coordinator was one of the owners of mamma's pizza. He then started "Coach's Cut Rate Liquor Store" He would be in the back watching game films continueing to study his craft, returned to coach U of H some years later.

[This message has been edited by timphysicaltherapy (edited 1/2/2009 4:13a).]
Earthquake McGoon
quote:
The dealer under the water tower used to be a car dealer, I think from Madisonville, with a fairly common surname. I want to say he was the same dealer who moved to the Bend of Texas in Bryan.

Car dealer under the C.S. water tower was Bud Ward Volkswagen.
rsa
AG
quote:
I've been missing the monster chop at Royers... the chocolate chip pie too!

Wasn't there another restaurant at that same location that was some kind of mix and match pasta place? You could pick your pasta and pick your sauce...

Pasghetti's--my kids liked that place. It was a seafood restaurant before that, but the name escapes me.
Dr. Turkleton
The seafood place was Pelican's Wharf. It actually had two runs in that location.
1984Consol
two runs- excepton the days the customers got sick- then there were plenty of runs LOL
Tommy Garcia
Wyatt's Cafeteria in Bryan on Texas Ave. Next to where Whataburgeris now, later at Post Oak Mall before shutting it down.
AggiePhil
AG
Still looking for information on the abandoned Bowie School.
Scotch
AG
It was an elementary school for many years, it's been vacant for about 20 years...

Let us know what you need to know, I'll do my best to find out, or maybe someone else would know.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 1/5/2009 1:10a).]
goodpoint
I remember Toys + as the place you could get a Cabbage Patch Doll.
rw1987
AG
ttt
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Ken Martin's old place on N. Texas Ave near Townshire. We used to go there about once per week to get the chicken fried steak deal. Yum ...
nanaof4
Does anyone remember Garza's Mexican Rest on College near the railroad crossing where you cross to get to Finfeather...it later changed to China Buffett and there was also a barbecue place between the tracks..also Safeway on Texas and WJB, Gallery Datsun...Safeway in the Townshire Shopping Center along with Woolworth, Sears, Beverly Braley, a Barber Shop, a washateria, and already mentioned Congdons where my aunt made all the cakes and later went on to do that fulltime out of her home, and Kelly's Toylane. No one has mentioned the nail place across from the old Allen Oldsmobile dealership on Texas and Post Office or Twin Blvd that was first a little hamburger place called the Cuckoo because it was built like a Cuckoo clock and the bird was at the top, also became a Subway..there was also CIT financial next door to Allen Olds, and of course the Skyway Drivein where Manor east was and also the Circle drivein where McDonalds on College and Unive. is now.. On the corner of Twin Blvd and Texas was the Holiday Inn and across from there a Gulf station.
Post removed:
by user
AggiePhil
AG
This thread is a real gem.
rock the good ag 90'
Test post:

S**** B****
turfman80
AG
The original Skyway Drive -in, located about where the McDonalds at Tejas Center is located. The original Woolworths store in downtown Bryan, located where Discount Carpets used to be. Also downtown Bryan - Iva Starnes Menswear, A.M. Waldrops, Margolis Red Wing Shoes. The A&W Drive In across from Turf Green Miniature Golf Course. And an easy trivia question for old timers....What burned down next to the old Perry Bros. store ??
aggieann
AG
Madley's Pharmacy on Jersey (Bush)
Sakowiki on Texas Ave. Far out, man!
Green Stamp redemption place on Texas Ave.
Piggly Wiggly on Texas Ave.
Zarape's on the lot where the former Black Eyed Pea is
Wyatt's cafeteria near downtown Bryan
Edge's clothing shop downtown
Charles & Sues downtown
J.C. Penney downtown
Karmelcorn in Manor East Mall
Orange Julius in Manor East Mall
The Fair clothing store in Manor East Mall
Pet store in Manor East Mall
aggieann
AG
And Lewis & Coker grocery store next to KMart.
Post removed:
by user
malibu9in1
orange julius...wow. I remember riding our bikes in the summer to the arcade and looking at those cold orange drinks and tring to make the decision whether to buy the cold drink or play pac man. damn those were the days.
Allonym
I can't believe Skaggs Alpha Beta first appeared on page 7!!

I remember shopping there and the movie theatre at the end of that strip center.

Before Cinemark there were a bunch of 1 and 2 screens in town. Dollar cinema in bryan!
Dr. Devil Dog
quote:
why would y'all dig this up to make me feel old.

yes, a link would have done just as well
/staff
nanaof4
okay so folks remember alot of things a LONG time ago but let's see who can beat this...remember the old bowling alley in downtown Bryan across from what is now Old Finished Furniture strore...my dad says when he was younger he and another guy used to set up the bowling pins by hand back then and when the students came in they would roll their bowling balls while they were still setting up the pins...they would spend most of the night dodging pins...can anybody beat this story...also the chicken hatchery that used to be on Boonville across from what is now Pecan Ridge...one of the old buildings is still up there on the hill...
Fleen
The movie theater where Harry's is now was the site of my first movie make-out session...
aggie1944
1984Consol
When looking at CS on google maps, I do not see the Long John Silvers that used to be close to the corner of Park Place and Texas avenue. Is it still there or did it get torn down?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.