Who remembers---

145,358 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
slyk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes I do remember it being a convenience store back then but I didn't remember the name. It was out of the city limits back then and we would stop there and buy fireworks sometimes right before July 4th. Also mind you that the fireworks were sold inside the store too, no outside booth setup.
jeepwranglin01
AG
has anyone mentioned the skating ring on briarcrest where gattitown used to be?
gettingitdone
maybe someone has mentioned this one

Mazzio's,,,,we loved eating there!!

Grandy's on Harvey Rd.
1984Consol
mmm- grandy's chicken friend steak
.....drool......
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
mmm- grandy's chicken friend steak

I recall Grandy's CFS being pretty much the same thing you can get out of any grocer's freezer. Perhaps I am mistaken but I don't think so.

[edit] repaired the quote.

[This message has been edited by Marooned_n_Aggieland (edited 12/24/2008 5:27p).]
Marooned_n_Aggieland
Speaking of pizza and the answer could well be buried in the many pages of posts here ...

What was the name of the pizza place on Texas Av near what is now the Texas 707 center? It was there in the mid 80s. It was not a 'hole in the wall' type of place either.
gettingitdone
Who remembers Pizza Planet on Villa Maria? The Shapers hair salon sits there now.
FortySomethingAg
Mamma's?
1984Consol
quote:

I recall Grandy's CFS being pretty much the same thing you can get out of any grocer's freezer.

Guess I am going to the grocery store this week
1984Consol
OMG I just noticed my extremely funny misspelling there- chicken FRIEND steak LOL
slyk
quote:

Rolling Thunder
Opened up shortly after Pooh's Park closed.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
40S, Mamma's may be right - it's been a long time :-). Could you describe where the building was in more detail? Were there other restaurants in the same building / near area? I recall the building being fairly large.
Aggie99
AG
Wow some of these places are a real "blast from the past!"

Kelly's Corner Store, Grandy's, Cashion & Cain, etc.

All good stuff!

slickwilly107
It was Mamma' Pizza and it was a cool place. I was just a kid but remember them having a pizza the size of the table that was fee if you could eat it in a hour. I seem to remember some Aggie o linemen putting it away.
BVD
quote:

The building was some kind of jewelry store to begin with, it started with an “A”.

Ardans or something like that.....
SENIOR FAN
do any of you remember when munson ave. was built in the late 40's, it was gated on both ends and was all farmland on the east side.the residents helped pay for the street and myself (+2)bought the streetlights around 1976. the area was the pebble creek of its time!-time flies!
SENIOR FAN
do any of you remember when munson ave. was built in the late 40's, it was gated on both ends and was all farmland on the east side.the residents helped pay for the street and myself (+2)bought the streetlights around 1976. the area was the pebble creek of its time!-time flies!
CS Dude
quote:

If it was gated, it was a private drive. When did it become a public street?
SENIOR FAN
csdude- it wasn't actually gates ,but was closed at dominick and also at lincoln! the dominick end was opened first,so kids could get to collegehills school and the lincoln end was opened by vote of the citizens somrtime in the 90's-munson became the chosen cutthrough street from bryan to college station and visa versa. FYI, in our annual traffic count last spring,on one day we had 6942 cars use munson!! that is more than use hwy 47.
Aggie99
AG
quote:
the lincoln end was opened by vote of the citizens somrtime in the 90's

I thought it was already open, but the vote was to "keep it open"...?? Or was that a 2nd vote after the vote to "open?"

quote:
munson became the chosen cutthrough street from bryan to college station and visa versa.

Munson was a cut-through from Bryan?? Is that right??

quote:
FYI, in our annual traffic count last spring,on one day we had 6942 cars use munson!!

That is ONE day!!!?? Maybe so, but that is hard to believe!! Crazy!
burningdaylight
Wasn't there a Farmer's Market at Northgate? I remember getting great sandwiches there or I'm dreaming?
Tommy Garcia
How about Pooh's Park? That's where the skating rink was when I was a youngster.
Humpty Dumpty Grocery store in Downtown?
Or the Robo Car Wash on Texas Avenue..A full Service car wash that if I remember correctly was almost an all glass building.
And going to the movies at the Queen Theatre?

edited to add:
The Skyway Twin Drive in Theatre where the Bryan Blinn Campus is now.
Billups convienence stores
The Western Auto in Bryan where the tax office is now.
The Public pool at the Bryan Golf coarse.
someone mentioned the mental hospital that occupied the original St. Joseph's Hospital on W. 28th St.....That was Greenleaf Hospital.

Bryan High was Stephen F. Austin and before was Kemp High School
The Bus Station was where Colortyme is now on Texas Ave. near the Coluter intersection.
Ron Yokum Toyota at the corner of Coulter and Cavitt/Texas across from the Ford Dealership.

I remember when William J. Bryan Pkwy was 25th St. and MLK was 19th St.

when KKYS 104.7 was went on the air at the Manor East Mall and 92.1 was the Rock Station not 92.5

Those were the days when life was good and kids minded their parents.....Ahhhh the good Ol' days...lol

[This message has been edited by Tommy Garcia (edited 12/29/2008 4:07p).]
SENIOR FAN
aggie99- 6942 cars on one day is correct with a mon-fri average of 5800 cars at an 85% speed of 34 mph in a 25 mph zone. come see us!!
tman2
AG
Burning....there was a Farmer's Market on Northgate, down near Loupot's. Great soup and sandwich lunch specials. We could eat there for under $5.00. I know it was there when I was in school in the late 80's.
Scotch
AG
Tommy, before SFA was the high school, the high school was at Fannin.

Kemp High School was due to segregation...
Tommy Garcia
was a little before my time but I knew it was something like that....thanks
burningdaylight
tman, do remember the little grocery store at northgate? I can remember buying pints of ice cream after enjoying a wonderful meal at what used to be the one of the worlds largest dining facilities....Sbisa
Tommy Garcia
How about Tinsley's Chicken in Bryan? They had some good rolls...
bigloco1
Speaking of Manor East Mall, what was the name of the little donut place between animal world and the game room?
Maveric
AG
I read a book awhile back whose author told a story about growing up in Bryan and playing for the Bryan High Broncos. When did they change to the Vikings?
Ags20-10_'75
S
^
|
|When Stephen F. Austin was the High School, they were the Broncos and they kept the Broncos as the mascot when it became 8th and 9th grade only. Bryan High School then became the Vikings.
AgPup80
Bryan schools history here:
http://www.bryanisd.org/default.asp?pageID=2
jlplawrence
No one has mentioned Polarbear Ashburn ice cream parlor that was on Briarcrest just past 29th street. I went to many birthday parties there.
Tommy Garcia
Wieners clothing store at Texas and 21.
Seanz Tamales on Sandy Point..That was also a little convienence store, also John's Barber Shop next door.
I remember eating breakfast at The LaSalle Hotel's little diner.
The Sundance Club in the Hilton when it was first built.
Joe Faulk Auto Parts 1 block past downtown Bryan.
Eddie's Body Shop at the corner of Sims and W.25th where the Fire Station is now
Food Town Supermarket in downtown
I used to like to go to the bottom floor at Woolsworth and play with the toys.
tman2
AG
burning...the grocery store on northgate was Charlie's Grocery. It was run by a very nice older couple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.