Who remembers---

145,398 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
carpe vinum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep Frank was around for a long while, he had alot of great places over the years. I really liked Brazos Stock Exchange downtown where Cafe Capri is now. mmmm.
Tom in College Station
Frank is still around. I see him every once in a while. I just think he is out of the resturant business.
rw1987
AG
When did Fajita Rita's close?
carpe vinum
AG
seems like 5 years or so ago, I loved Fajita Ritas.

Ok, who remembers when that place was Fari's with the name painted on the roof and someone crawled up there one night and crossed the 'i'.

I got a chuckle out of that.
1984Consol
a very fitting name if they sold baked beans...
rsincs
AG
I went to Frank's all the time. The waitresses always knew our names and what we wanted when we walked in. Great homemade potato chips.
1984Consol
"sometines ya gotta go
where everybody knows your name..."
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
Slyk said: What was the mexican food place that was in the Woodstone center? Was it Casa Thomas before they moved over by Rosemary/Texas?

I may have missed it but I believe it was originally El Chico then that moved under the water tower. If I'm not mistaken that was the first use of that then it became car dealerships, bars, etc... The El Chico in Bryan was where Carters Burgers is now and diagnally across the Villa Maria/Texas intersection where that small bank is next to the now Jack in the Box was originally a restaurant called the Captain's Table.

If I recall correctly when we moved here the CS city limit sign was where the Dairy Queen is and the pop was about 14,000. Krenek Tap was gravel and in the sticks. Southwood Valley was WAY out in the boonies.

Kyle Field did not even have the entire 2nd deck completed unless I'm mis-remembering... The addition of the 3rd was simply amazing. The best part of Kyle for many years as a kid was that it was basically open to the public. All us kids would go play football there on weekends and especially Sunday afternoons. Had some great pick up games.
carpe vinum
AG
I also remember when CoCS in it's infinite wisdom installed a traffic light at Holleman and Texas. We all wondered what the heck do we need that for??? I guess it was getting dangerous at night from traffic when Pooh's closed up.
Rufus T. Aggie
The El Chico under the water tower by Holleman was first a car dealer. Volkswagen/Porshe. Richard Barton, then Bud Ward. Building was metal that was torn down for El Chico.
As for Fajita Ritas, it was originally Chelsa Street Pub, then Rebel's.
ComfortAg
AG

Monterrey House, I believe.
AggiePhil
AG
Where was Monterrey House in Woodstone located?
carpe vinum
AG
that's right it was monterrey house. seems like it was where the pet store is/was.
Maveric
AG
Wasn't there a Monterrey House in Bryan as well? I think it was the building on the NW side of Texas and Coulter.

What was the building that is now the Chinese food restaurant in the Tractor Supply shopping center at 2818 and Texas? I ate there when it was a Ferraris back in the early 90s.
Scotch
AG
Monterey House was located on the west side of Texas Ave., accross from where Avondale T's into Texas.

There is another Mexican food place still there, unless it recently closed.
Kitten With A Whip
Anyone remember when Fajita Rita's delivered fajita's? They used to operate out of a very small shop that was right next to the back door of KKYS in Manor East Mall. It was on the back side of the mall where there was parking for Manor East III Theater's.
LWInk2
Ok, who remembers the Oakridge Smokehouse? Anyone? Anyone?
slyk
quote:
Ok, who remembers the Oakridge Smokehouse? Anyone? Anyone?

Browse back to page two of this thread.
war hymn aggie
AG
Random, but I remember Orr's Grocery store, Winchell's Donuts, Alphies Fish and Chips, Zeider Zee Fish and Chips, Saber Inn, Burger Chef, Sparkey's Pizza,The Thirsty Turtle, RoxZ, Bob Smith's SportsClub, Padre Cafe, Peppers, Danver's, Pizza Planet, J.T. McCords, BB's Chinese Cafe, The original Burger King, Kress Dept. Sore, Montgomery Wards, Lewis & Coker Grocery (later Piggly Wiggly), Mariel's Grocery, Grandy's, Pepe Taco, Mazzio's, Fort Shiloh, Fish Richard's, Fantastic Sam's, Arden's, Service Merchandise, Woolworth's, Fed-Mart,The original Lowe's, K-Mart, Gibson's Dept. store, Clayton's restaurant, Fontana's Italian restaurant, & Medley's (where I bought my 1st pack of baseball cards in 1971).

Anyone else recall any/all of these?
Scotch
AG
There is a location of Pepper's in McAllen and about 10 years ago it moved a few blocks down the street. If I remember correctly, the old location of Pepper's, at the time Tom and Jerry's Burgers, I think (looking at Google street view it is now something else), had old pictures of Texas A&M in it. I wondered what the connection was, now knowing Pepper's had a C.S. location, it makes sense.
slyk
I recall a good chunk of them, even without the help of this board.
To add a few more to the list (some may have been mentioned prior)

Most of these places are from the 70's-80's

Crown & Anchor Inn (restaurant)out on hwy 30
Black Forest Inn -wayyy out on hwy 30
The original Zarape's on University east of TX ave
Pizza Inn on TX ave just north of University and near Bryan High
JJ Mugs where Fuddruckers is
Captains Table
Archies Taco Bell with the backwards drive thru
Wehreman's (sp?) Cafe
Beetles bbq next to court house and Villa Maria/2818.
3C bbq south of downtown and Culpepper Plaza
Original Tom's bbq south of Lubys center on Tx ave
Baskin Robbins Ice Cream shop on TX ave in Bryan near Post Office st (in the funky sm rectangle building), not the factory either.
Original Shipleys where Burger House is.
7-11 stores everywhere in B/CS
Wyatts cafeteria in Bryan
Weingartens grocery store
Perry Bros downtown
K Wolens near downtown
Sears downtown
Central Texas Hardware -townshire center
Cooks dept store
Original Chuck-e-Cheese next to Krogers
Mr Gatti's next to IHOP
Skaggs Albertsons then Skaggs Alpha Beta
Chimney Hill bowling on University w/ a Kettle restaurant built in.
Triangle Bowling w/Isosceles club bar
Custom Sounds
Dyer Electronics on E29th
The Cave Room at Ken Martin's Steakhouse
Shiloh Hall before Fort Shiloh
Ben Franklins -Redmond Terrace center
Pruitt's Fabric shop -2 locations
Food-4-Less
Jewel-T
Tip Top Records on Coulter
Hudson gas station where Gas Tec? propane is
Robo Car Wash
Graham Central Station then Denim n Diamonds
Original Auto Zone store when it was called Auto Shack
Shamrock gas station (University/TX) before it was called Diamond Shamrock
The Plaza hotel when it was The Ramada
Gulf gas station at University/TX (Piper's)

1984Consol
The Plaza hotel when it was The Ramada.

I remember that one- it was the Ramada when we moved to CS from CC- I knew Monty, one of the night auditors at the time. He is the first person to give me the idea of working in the hotel business. of course none of the hotels would hire me because I had no experience (there were not many hotels there at the time- the Fairfield didn't even exist but was being built soon.)

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 12/21/2008 10:53a).]
1984Consol
OH YEAH- forgot this one!

Pizza Inn on TX ave just north of University and near Bryan High

Never knew of or ate at the one in Bryan but we ordered from the one in Corpus Christi all the time and I missed them so much. but I am so happy a Pizza Inn JUST opened up within the last few days here in Murfreesboro- cannot wait to eat at Pizza Inn again.

Does anyone remember their old slogan?

[This message has been edited by 1984Consol (edited 12/21/2008 10:59a).]
slyk
quote:
Does anyone remember their old slogan?

Wasn't it "For pizza out its pizza inn"?
That place was always soo dark inside, the dining room was practically only lit by candle light. Kinda made you wonder what you were actually eating!
Jrod_2002
AG
quote:
Mr Gatti's next to IHOP

To me, their pizza has never been as good since they left that location.
Rufus T. Aggie
3Cs BBQ had one across from Bryan High called 3C Corral, and also one on Hwy 21 where Sodolaks is now.
U-Tote-Em stores before they were Circle K.
Youngbloods on College Ave.
Central Texas Hardware before it was in Townshire was in downtown Bryan.
Woolsworth in downtown.
Kelly's Toy land in Townshire.
A&P Grocery
Safeway Grocery
Black Hat Saloon where Oak Ridge Smoke House was.
Southern Comfort, then reopened as Mickey's across from Texas World Speedway.
A&W Rootbeer on Texas.
The Buccaneer on College Ave.
100,000 Auto Parts stores.
Robo Car Washes.
Burger Chef
The minature golf course on Texas Ave by Hensel street.
Al's House of Tires, House of Cars, House of Boots all in one location.
Al's Taco al Carbon on University where Kinko's is.
The Peanut Gallery across from Eastgate.
TJ's in the 707 Shopping Center
Cade Ford, then Beal Ford.

[This message has been edited by Rufus T. Aggie (edited 12/22/2008 11:31a).]
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
The minature golf course on Texas Ave by Hensel street.

nice. I forgot about that
txbbqman
quote:
Anyone remember when Fajita Rita's delivered fajita's? They used to operate out of a very small shop that was right next to the back door of KKYS in Manor East Mall. It was on the back side of the mall where there was parking for Manor East III Theater's.

Not sure about Fajita Ritas, but that place was originally the 2 Peso's expansion.

They were originally in Culpepper Plaza and the expanded to add that location
AllMadeOfStars
quote:
How about the pizza place where cazadores is. WHat was it? Mama's Pizza? and from there it has been about 754 different places until cazadores moved in

Many people have named a lot of these already. I believe at one time it also housed a Rockyano's Pizza (before Snuffer's?).

I remember Emilio's, in Post Oak mall.

I think Fajita Rita's delivered food, as well as beer.
Drewmeister
AG
quote:

quote:
Mr Gatti's next to IHOP

To me, their pizza has never been as good since they left that location.

Me too -- of course, it could've always been crappy pizza and I didn't notice as a kid. I remember the split-level seating (maybe even balconies along each side, but I could be misremembering), big-screen TV, and arcade games there. Fed a bunch of quarters into Mortal Kombat and MK II.
AggiePhil
AG
Where exactly was the mini golf course near Hensel Park? I wonder if any of the remains are still there.
rcj0618
quote:
Me too -- of course, it could've always been crappy pizza and I didn't notice as a kid. I remember the split-level seating (maybe even balconies along each side, but I could be misremembering), big-screen TV, and arcade games there. Fed a bunch of quarters into Mortal Kombat and MK II.

Definitely much better pre-Gattiland. There were balconies along each side of the split level area. I drank a few beers and fed a bunch of quarters into Donkey Kong and Pac-Man there back in the day.
rcj0618
quote:
Where exactly was the mini golf course near Hensel Park? I wonder if any of the remains are still there.

Texas Ave. and Hensel Drive intersection, not Hensel Park. It was next to the donut shop/Schlotzsky's/diner building on that corner. Pretty much where that hotel and Applebee's is now.

Wasn't it called Turf Green miniature golf?

[This message has been edited by rcj0618 (edited 12/23/2008 7:39a).]
1984Consol
I don't think anyone has mentioned Channello's Pizza have they?
Ags20-10_'75
S
slyk - sounds like you grew up in BCS. I remember most of the places you have mentioned. I lived outside of town off of HWY 30 in the 70's - 90's. Do you remember the K&J grocery store on the corner of Harvey/30 and HWY30 (past the old Jose's) where C&J's BBQ is now? I used to ride my dirt bike to the K&J's as a kid and get chopped beef sandwiches from a guy named Chip (owner of C&J's now) when he first started selling BBQ. This thread brings back some good memories.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.