Who remembers---

145,487 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
Maveric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Walgreens was where I think Champs is now.

I thought that was the Woolworths.
91_Aggie
AG
Dang... I'm getting old. Yeah.
1984Consol
I remember when SW pkwy ended at the bypass and they began construction on an over pass to connect Raintree to the bypass but they said they had to realign the roads so they will connect correctly.

I remember Godfathers pizza, Swensens, Marooned records in NG (I got alot of records and CDs there when CDs were becoming popular.

My mom was the book manager at Hastings in Culpepper and there was an excerd next door. When the excerds went out of business, hastings bought it, broke down the wall between them and the old excerds to expand, and put a sign above where the old Excerd sign was, and it said "...Video" This was when Hastings first branched out into video.
Maveric
AG
That Hastings was wierd, at the end it had two or three different levels. You would go aways, then step down, then a little further, then step down again.
91_Aggie
AG
My current Hastings Video rental card is a laminated card from that Culpepper hastings. I believe it is about circa 1990 or 1991... still has the phone number I hand wrote on it before they laminated it.

Still works at "new" hastings.
91_Aggie
AG
Oh yeah, used to love Happy Hour there on Friday afternoons with the free beer from a keg.

Not sure that fly anymore.
Tom in College Station
quote:
Charlie's was the place back in '85-'86.
In 1981 the club at Doux Chene was Studio 2818. They had a 4 for 1 happy hour on Friday. I lived in the complex, so I could walk, err stumble, home.
igoforpenguins
How about the pizza place where cazadores is. WHat was it? Mama's Pizza? and from there it has been about 754 different places until cazadores moved in
ezmoney
AG
I think it might have been called McDuff Electronics.
rsa
AG
quote:
How about the pizza place where cazadores is. WHat was it? Mama's Pizza?

I miss Mama's Pizza. On our first night here in Aug. of '85, a friend brought two pizzas over for our dinner--great after a day of unloading the U-haul. We were hooked. The olive oil and garlic baste on the crust was excellent.
RDH80
AG
at Briarwood, there was also a "club" called Zacharia's Greenhouse (didn't last long)--anyone remember the Zephyr Club at Woodstone? where many Blinn "profs" tossed a few down before class?
TLIAC
AG
I worked at Pasta's Pizza while I was going to A&M. It was in a grey building next to the 707 complex. The roof was really steep and kind of dipped in towards the middle. After the pizza place closed, it was a bridal shop for a while and then they eventually tore it down and built On the Border.

Edit: There is another poster on this board who worked there with me.......ahhh waterworks, where are you?

[This message has been edited by TLIAC (edited 12/4/2008 9:28p).]
waterworks
AG
TLIAC - OK, are you ready to see your nickname from Mama's (and later Pasta's) Pizza posted on TX Ags?
Scotch
AG
91_Aggie
AG
Who can name every place of business that occupied the spot on the far north end of Culpepper plaza?

I got here in 87, so I remember

Mama's Pizza
Bullwinkles

i know there were several others, but I can't remember names, and I don't know what has been there for the last 10 years.

Another quiz question is to name all the restaurants that went into that building next to where Raising Cane's is now.
txbbqman
How about Kay's Cabaret the Bar in Post Oak Mall
slyk
91ag--I remember Sambo's, Kerry's stacked enchiladas and Wings n more. I think there was more though.

Scotch--I remember that place, used to sit about where Office Depot/Best Buy is now. Me thinks the one down in Shulenburg is still there.
Scotch
AG
I'm sure the Schulenburg restaurant is still there, the picture above is probably of that location. I posted it because Oakridge Smokehouse was the original use of the building TLIAC was talking about, the C.S. location just had one big rectangle with the bowed roof, iirc.

My first memory of the place was when it was the bridal place, I think "Ladies and Lords" was the name.

[This message has been edited by Scotch (edited 12/5/2008 8:49a).]
AggiePhil
AG
I think that the northernmost end of Culpepper has been Margarita Rocks the whole time I lived here. Apparently it was Bullwinkle's and then a seafood place (briefly) prior to becoming Margarita Rocks.

Wings 'N More and Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas was actually in a building that was torn down and replaced by Raising Cane's. The building next to Raising Cane's is the Cazadore's building that was apparently once Mama's Pizza.
Pie In The Sky
quote--Wings 'N More and Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas was actually in a building that was torn down and replaced by Raising Cane's. The building next to Raising Cane's is the Cazadore's building that was apparently once Mama's Pizza.

Think it was a Denny's first.
ComfortAg
AG
Regarding the Oakridge Smokehouse Restaurant, in the late 70's it was a bar named "Goodtime Charlie's" that closed down after a patron died after getting punched in the neck. After Mama's, then Pasta's, it was "Ladies and Lords" tuxedo and formal rental.

For all you Mama's Pizza lovers, the franchise is expanding once again in the Fort Worth/Arlington area. I just ate there in August before a Ranger's game, and it still tastes the same.
91_Aggie
AG
Ha! I forgot about Kerri's Stacked Enchilada's in the old Wing's N More building... what a horrible, horrible restaurant concept.
91_Aggie
AG
Yeah, I think Cazadore's is holding the record for longest lasting restaurant in that location.

I remember it was hamburger joint for a while that believed a good hamburger had to be salty as all get out.
Zzz

TG&Y anyone?
taxpreparer
AG
The original business in the Casadores building was "Coach Norton's"

quote:
Anyone remember the talking Coke machine at the Walgreens in the mall? I think it was over by the original Dillards entrance.

I loved that talking Coke machine. But I have a slightly different memory of where Walgreens was.

Walgreens was across from the food court entrance
(Peanut Gallery and Swensen's side). It was either next to, or replaced by, Bookland. That Walgreens sold these burrito shaped water ballon things which would slip out of your
hand as soon as you picked them up.

Uh oh, I just had a flashback to Giovanni's pizza.
Zzz

...or the popcorn place in Manor East Mall that sold all sorts of multi-colored, flavored popcorn?

BVD
quote:
quote--Wings 'N More and Kerri's Stacked Enchiladas was actually in a building that was torn down and replaced by Raising Cane's. The building next to Raising Cane's is the Cazadore's building that was apparently once Mama's Pizza.

The Denny's was in the old WNM building but it was a Sambo's before that and then Denny's bought out Sambo's and it was only a Denny's a little while before it was closed.

yes Mama's Pizza was next door.
BVD
quote:
In 1981 the club at Doux Chene was Studio 2818

That is right at one point they were the only "21 and over" bar in town.
Maveric
AG
quote:
In 1981 the club at Doux Chene was Studio 2818. They had a 4 for 1 happy hour on Friday. I lived in the complex, so I could walk, err stumble, home

If you go down Southwood towards Southwest Parkway, right at the bend, there is a house that has two steel rods jutting straight up from the curb. I always wondered why those were there. A friend who group up here said that was because people would leave Studio 2818 drunk, drive home that way and lose control at the bend and smash through the owner's yard. So they got tired of it and put those rods there.

quote:
I think it might have been called McDuff Electronics.

McDuffs was in the mall where Scripture Haven is now I think.
TLIAC
AG
waterworks - I think I will pass on your offer. I don't think I want to try to explain that one here.

Also, scotch, Pasta's was a backwards L shaped also. There was a TV in the bottom of the L plus that was were the kitchen and officer was.

[This message has been edited by TLIAC (edited 12/5/2008 12:38p).]
IDAg86
Orange Julius in Manor East Mall.

I forgot about the popcorn place!

How about The Fair in Manor East. Worked in the shoe department through college.
slyk
KarmelKorn, I liked their cinnamon karmelkorn.

Looks like they are still around, but only in the upper midwest.
http://www.karmelkorn.com/en-US/default.htm
Scotch
AG
McDuff's was in the Skagg's-Albertson's shopping center, probably about where Traditions Bookstore was (or is?).

The Walgreen's in the mall that was mentioned, I'm pretty sure it was a Woolworth's.

21dlg64
AG
quote:

IIRC it was Sambo’s The address for Sambo’s was 1045 Texas Ave S.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.