Who remembers---

145,336 Views | 597 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
ComfortAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the electronics store that was in the strip where 'Play It Again Sports' is located ? I dug a receipt out this morning to look up the model number on my television and was shocked when I realized I didn't even remember the name of the store I bought it from in 1994.
The Anchor
AG
All these young whipper snappers and their s**** pants and loud music!

edit-why is s-a-g-g-y a blocked word?

[This message has been edited by The Anchor (edited 12/3/2008 2:37p).]
1984Consol
Isn't the name of the store on the receipt?
GoneGirl
AG
Anchor, A g g y is a derogatory phrase utiziled by other Big 12 schools to describe the students at A&M - like a tech tard or a tsip. Since this is the Aggie board, it is not allowed since it would typically be used to flame or troll. Unfortunately your word contains it.
ComfortAg
AG
84tiger- yes, the name is on the receipt. My question was meant to test the memory of all the fossils (like myself) on this forum. So far no one has a clue.
Jrod_2002
AG
REX ... ftw!
ComfortAg
AG
Nice job, JROD. "REX Television and Appliance Centers". Now if my 15 year old Magnavox would just die, I could upgrade to a new 46" LCD, but the Mag still looks great after all these years.
Jrod_2002
AG
Alright, new question...

Name the toy store that inhabited that same shopping center in the 1980s.
IDAg86
nm

[This message has been edited by IDAg86 (edited 12/3/2008 4:12p).]
IDAg86
Okay, I was thinking of the wrong shopping center.
Can't remember the name of the toy store, but the restaurant was J.T. McCords
gettingitdone
K*B Toys?
Jrod_2002
AG
Close, but incorrect.

Anyone else want to venture a guess?
AggiePhil
AG
Kay Bee Toys (original spelling).
91_Aggie
AG
For the first 2 years at A&M, I never went south of Harvey on Texas. (Freshman in 1987).
Maveric
AG
Toys +

I remember walking over there when my dad was having his tires changed at Discount Tires.
1984Consol
the original Fuddruckers was at the end of that strip center.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
the original Fuddruckers was at the end of that strip center.

Well, the first franchise in College Station was... not sure what city the original one was in.
91_Aggie
AG
I still remember pulling out of Manuel drive and seeing a farm house and pasture across the way.
Maveric
AG
In 1990, my Dad and I came to College Station to get my Honda serviced. We were running late for the appointment and when we came in on 60, took this new road to the right by the airport instead of going the only way I knew, which was University to Texas, Harvey to the mall and then right on the feeder.

Instead, he took that road out into the middle of nowhere, past two blinking lights (Wellborn and 2818) and then somehow ended up at the Honda dealership in the nick of time.

I was mad at him at first, because, as all teenagers do, I thought I knew the only way to get there.

I also remember never going any further away from campus than Harvey on Texas. There was no point. There was nothing but pasture out that way.
1984Consol
yes I do not mean the very first Fuddruckers- I mean the original CS restaurant. The first one I wanna say was in San Antonio but I do not know that for sure...
2001AggieDJ
AG
you can't say "s****" on Texags? What if you were talking about the Little Golden Book, The S**** B**** Elephant?

EDIT - Wow, I had no idea TexAgs automatically bleeped out words! Learn something new every day I guess.

[This message has been edited by 2001AggieDJ (edited 12/4/2008 8:38a).]
The Anchor
AG
You are feeling my pain now.
91_Aggie
AG
The Saggy Baggy Elephant.

You get to do it if your account was created in 2002 or before!

[This message has been edited by 91_Aggie (edited 12/4/2008 9:58a).]
BVD
Who remembers when they opened the KMart and we all thought they were crazy for opening it so far out on the end of town. Where Tractor Supply is now.

And the Bar Charlie's in the Doux Chene apartments was 'South CS'.

txbbqman
Remember when.....

Rock Prairie rd dead ended before Welsh

Godfathers Pizza

Porsche Dealership underneath the Water tower

Taco Villa in Bryan

Jose's was "way" out on East Harvey

Harvey Rd, University were 2 lane Roads

no over passes at Southwest Parkway or 2818

91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Remember when.....

NO - Rock Prairie rd dead ended before Welsh

Godfathers Pizza - I remember it in San Antonio

YES - Porsche Dealership underneath the Water tower

No - Taco Villa in Bryan

Only Jose's I knew is On Texas in Bryan - Jose's was "way" out on East Harvey

No - Harvey Rd, University were 2 lane Roads

No - no over passes at Southwest Parkway or 2818

got here in 87
IDAg86
Who remembers when Post Oak Mall was built? It was on that empty lot next to Hwy 6 so they had to extend Harvey Road.
The world ended at Hwy 6 & Harvey Rd.
AggiePhil
AG
A man told me a while back that there used to be two lakes where Post Oak Mall is now.

And regarding the club at Doux Chene Apts...who in the world came up with THAT idea??? How could any of the residents have any peace and quiet with that place going?
BVD
Charlie's was the place back in '85-'86.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
How about Piggly Wiggley grocery store, the original Zarape's on University and the Hwy 6 bypass completed in 1972?

Or if you were headed east on Southwest Parkway, it dead ended at Texas. It didn't go through to the Hwy 6 by pass until the very early 1980's.
ComfortAg
AG
Regarding Post Oak Mall:

Harvey Rd. is also Hwy. 30, and was there long before Post Oak Mall. My first place to live in the late 70's while a student was in the Harvey Community, and between the Safeway at Texas Ave. and Harvey Rd. and the two apartment complexes at Hwy. 6 (Briarwood and Plantation Oaks) there was nothing but mesquite trees and cattle on both sides of the road. My senior year (78-79) I lived at the Briarwood Apts., and I only remember a cow pasture across the road. Construction on Post Oak Mall began in the summer of 1979. fyi A number of use used to have target practice sessions (with our 45 autos) in the creek on the other side of 6 (behind where Ashley Funiture is now).
Jrod_2002
AG
Very good Maveric! I got both my Lion Voltron and Vehicle Voltron from Toys Plus.

quote:
Taco Villa in Bryan

As a West Texas native, I was so glad we had this when we moved here in 1984. Sadly, Bobby Cox closed them all east of San Angelo in 1986, and so with it the best tasting mexican fast food.

How about this. Does anyone remember when Piggly Wiggly closed, and K-Mart expanded to become the biggest K-Mart in Texas? Too bad a little Wal-Mart across the street would eventually put it out of business...
Maveric
AG
That was probably about the time I got my Transformer Arielbots from Service Merchandise in the Mall during Christmas break, and ran into a teacher of mine while waiting for my parents in the mall at the globe fountain in front of Foleys.

Anyone remember the talking Coke machine at the Walgreens in the mall? I think it was over by the original Dillards entrance.
91_Aggie
AG
Walgreens was where I think Champs is now.
91_Aggie
AG
I remember when there were 2 to 3 music (CD/tapes) stores in the mall.

Camelot and 2 others.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.