Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shark Week on Discovery Channel--USS Indianapolis

2,636 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 16 yr ago by allknowinag82
FSGuide
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I watched the episode last night about the USS Indianapolis. I alway have a special interest in anything about that ship because one of my Uncles was on it when it went down. He was one of the few survivors and he is still living today and makes his home in Memphis, TX.

It is hard to believe what these guys (and WWII vets in general) went through for the cause of freedom. If you know any WWII vets be sure to thank them for what they did for our country and for the world. They may be our Greatest Generation, but they are fading away fast.
B-1 83
AG
B-1 83 Dad is now 83 and considered a WWII "youngster" - 19 year old 2nd Lt.. China-Burma-India, Korea, and 2 tours in the 'Nam. He's seen some stuff.
rdselman95
AG
I have the greatest respect for veterens of WWII. Some of the things they went through are just amazing. I visited the D-Day beaches a couple of years back and it is just sobering. These guys didn't question, they just went because it was what they had to do.
Killer-K 89
AG
FS,

I bet that I know your uncle in Memphis. There were many great heroes from Hall Co during WWII.

One of which was a young Marines who joined in hoisting the flag at Iwo Jima. He was from Lakeview, just outside of Memphis.
swampstander
AG
Its time the story of these heroes reaches the national spotlight. I read a good book about this tragedy a few years ago called "Ordeal at Sea"
Texas 1836
AG
rdselman95, I watched it last night and you used the exact word I was going to type - sobering.

I simply cannot imagine ...
RoperJoe02
No kidding...I have been waiting for a movie about the Indianapolis for years now....its about time something comes out about it.

Also, for those interested, there is an awesome book about the tragedy called "In Harms Way". Tells the story as told from those survivors such as Dr. Haynes and Capt. McVay. One of the few books I have actually read cover to cover.
Wildmen03
AG
Captain Quints speech about it in Jaws was one of my favorite lines ever.
Cowtown Red
I watched that last night as well.

Very interesting.
RoperJoe02
"Black eyes, lifeless eyes....like a dolls eyes"

Man, gives me the chills thinking about it.
95 Buzzbait
I would have probably drank the sea water on the first day...those guys (boys) surely will go to heaven cuz that was hell. FSguide, thank your uncle from me.
Post removed:
by user
Centerpole90
AG
Haven't seen the Discovery show yet but will second RoperJoe's suggestions to read about the Indianapolis. "Abandon Ship!" is another great narrative originally published in 1958.

FSGuide, has your Uncle ever expounded on the trip before the disaster and delivering their "Secret Cargo"?
allknowinag82
I love Shark Week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.