Outdoors
Sponsored by

Really dumb idea

7,364 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by BrazosDog02
ConstructionAg01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My neighbor has a new obsession with vehicles driving too fast on "his" street, so he's shooting them all with a radar gun and reporting his findings to PD. The family and I were sitting on the porch enjoying the rain, and watching this, when one of the cars came back around to ask him what the heck he was doing and a heated verbal confrontation ensued. Not a great idea to point a gun-like object at passing vehicles, especially in our area of Texas.

And yes, that is his burnt orange truck with the requisite logo.

water turkey
What an idiot
JohnLA762
AG
But can you expect anything less from a sip?!?

Be sure to update us on Chad's progress as it unfolds!
BlueSmoke
Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts
Tucked in polo and what looks like a braided belt

He seems fun.....
76Ag
AG
Televaegelist gray hair.
Maniacal facial expression.
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let 'm take our God and guns.
Stat Monitor Repairman
All it will take is somebody to call in an old man pointing a gun a passing motorists.

When the police show up they'll see a dude with a gun in his hand and order him to drop the weapon.. And this seems like the type of guy to argue with the cops and waive around the radar gun to show the cops that it's not a gun.

Then the cops will shoot the guy IAW use of force protocol and everybody will cry about it.
txyaloo
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Then the cops will shoot the guy IAW use of force protocol and everybody will cry about it.
No one will cry about it. He's an old white man. Social media would probably cheer
TX_COWDOC
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

My neighbor has a new obsession with vehicles driving too fast on "his" street, so he's shooting them all with a radar gun and reporting his findings to PD. The family and I were sitting on the porch enjoying the rain, and watching this, when one of the cars came back around to ask him what the heck he was doing and a heated verbal confrontation ensued. Not a great idea to point a gun-like object at passing vehicles, especially in our area of Texas.

Perhaps he should approach his lawn care with the same enthusiasm?
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
AGM Night Vision Dealer
GSS
Fifteen years ago, my now deceased (natural causes, not due to his antics) father-in-law was pissed at speeders in his neighborhood, so he taped a handle to a big Stanley Thermos bottle, and sat in a lawn chair on his front yard. He laughed at the ones hitting the brakes, got honked at (both pro and con reasons), no harm, no foul.
Current environment might be much more hazardous.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Aggietaco
AG
Hard to fault the guy, but maybe it's because I've thought of doing the same thing.

We spend a lot of time in our driveways with neighbors and live near the bottom of a gradual hill that ends with a stop sign t-intersection. Posted speed limit is 30 (too high IMO) but many cars traveling through come barreling down the hill closer to 45 and a lot like to blast right through the stop sign. All of the folks we spend driveway time with have children under 13, so there's usually lots of yelling, some cussing, and the occasional empty beer can chucked at the neighborhood speedsters. We've also witnessed a few accidents and many more near accidents at the stop sign.

I get that everyone's in a hurry to get no where these days, I'm guilty as well, but I usually change my driving habits when I get into neighborhoods, especially with a street lined with kids riding bikes and throwing the ball.

We call the cops occasionally, when we see someone driving really poorly, and send letters to our councilman semi-regularly about lowering the limit or adding some more speed humps or bulbouts, but with City has better things to waste money on and the police force is too strapped to enforce traffic rules anymore.
Hungry Ojos
GSS said:

Fifteen years ago, my now deceased (natural causes, not due to his antics) father-in-law was pissed at speeders in his neighborhood, so he taped a handle to a big Stanley Thermos bottle, and sat in a lawn chair on his front yard. He laughed at the ones hitting the brakes, got honked at (both pro and con reasons), no harm, no foul.

I've re-read this 16 times and can't figure out what happened.
TarponChaser
Go buy some speed bumps and install them on your own. Video and report back.

Rubber speed bumps
schmellba99
AG
30 is the standard speed limit for residential areas in Texas. Below that and you are in school zone territory, hard pass on that nonsense for a regular speed limit.

The street isn't for kids to play in.
schmellba99
AG
While it isn't a great idea to point a gun like object at cars....it's equally not a great idea to approach somebody that is doing so because you want to know what they are doing or are mad at them either.

If the speeding is that bad and he's doing something and providing data to the city, hard to really blame the dude. Now if it's a case of people doing 34 in a 30, then he's just the typical old man yelling at clouds.

The street I grew up on was known as the drag racing street for a while. It took a whole host of parents actively lobbying city council to finally put up some stop signs to at least sort of slow things down some. At the time there were a whole lot of young kids in the neighborhood, the yards were pretty small and cars were doing 60+ at times. I remember one time we were out playing basketball in the driveway when a couple of kids were going up and down the street racing. Dad took a half inch drive ratchet and winged it at them - perfet hit in the middle of the driver's door. That kid about sharted himself.

It was a Craftsman, so we loaded up and went to Sears and got a replacement later that day.
Shoefly!
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

All it will take is somebody to call in an old man pointing a gun a passing motorists.

When the police show up they'll see a dude with a gun in his hand and order him to drop the weapon.. And this seems like the type of guy to argue with the cops and waive around the radar gun to show the cops that it's not a gun.

Not everybody, wrong shade of melanin.
ConfidentAg
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts

He seems fun.....

Did braided belts go out of style?
zooguy96
ConfidentAg said:

BlueSmoke said:

Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts

He seems fun.....

Yeah, like in 1996.
Mathguy64
AG
zooguy96 said:

ConfidentAg said:

BlueSmoke said:

Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts

He seems fun.....

Yeah, like in 1996.

Negative Ghostrider. Braided belts are the only infinitely adjustable belt. I can get fatter and not buy a new belt.
3 Toed Pete
AG
ConfidentAg said:

BlueSmoke said:

Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts

He seems fun.....

Not if it matches your Members Only jacket
GSS
Hungry Ojos said:

GSS said:

Well, since the topic was using a radar gun (real, or fake) to antagonize the speeders, my F-I-L's version was his homemade Thermos on a handle unit.

Or was there something else that you wondered happened?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
schmellba99 said:

The street isn't for kids to play in.
Ya stinking commie.

Back in the day that's what we had but we also dutifully yelled out CAR and got up on the curb. A couple of guys loitered in the street until their dad threatened to whip their ass telling them streets were for cars ("don't be dumbasses") and we were only using it when cars weren't around.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Yesterday
AG
Guy is my hero! **** speeders on neighborhood roads. And I say that as a once young punk who sped on neighborhood roads.
txyaloo
AG
Mathguy64 said:

zooguy96 said:

ConfidentAg said:

BlueSmoke said:

Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts

He seems fun.....

Yeah, like in 1996.

Negative Ghostrider. Braided belts are the only infinitely adjustable belt. I can get fatter and not buy a new belt.
You'd be amazed at some of the belt innovations that have been made since 1996. They even have this velcro stuff now and slider belts.

Unless the 64 in your handle indicates you're a peepaw. If so, carry on. My elderly dad still loves his braided belt.
Robert L. Peters
I don't usually post on outdoors, but when I do I post my neighbor's pic.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
nealan
I'm thinking those are HeyDude knock offs
DatTallArchitect
AG
GSS said:

Hungry Ojos said:

GSS said:

Well, since the topic was using a radar gun (real, or fake) to antagonize the speeders, my F-I-L's version was his homemade Thermos on a handle unit.

Or was there something else that you wondered happened?
What was he doing with the Thermos? What was the handle for? Was he pretending to throw it at people but the handle kept it secure in his hand?
ConstructionAg01
AG
There's a 90 degree turn in the street (he lives on the outside of the corner), so the speed limit is 20 along our stretch. This is people driving 25 in a 20.
GSS
Ummmm, no, he was not throwing anything at the speeders.

NRA Life
TSRA Life
BrazosDog02
AG
ConstructionAg01 said:

Story time.

Growing up we had a crotchety old man as a neighbor. He was actually a really good guy to have as a neighbor. No bull****, Navy vet, oil man. We had a posted speed limit of 25 but we were in an unincorporated area of the country on large acreage lots. Somewhere during the 90's we ended up with punk kids speeding down our road. It was a dead end road. Policing this was "his thing" and he wasn't the kind of dude to take no for an answer. One day, this dude in a white hard top jeep came rolling through and my neighbor walked out into the middle of the road and let this guy have it about speeding. There was an exchange of profanity and a basic "f- you old man" from the driver.

The bad news for the driver is that my neighbor was a crusty **** and the road was a dead end, which meant he had to turn around and come back to leave. The worse news is that my neighbor was landscaping his flower bed with bricks. He heard this fool coming walked out in the road and chunks a brick at this guys jeep, it clips the top of the windshield, trashes it, and the hard top and then and there the Jeep driver got to decide how to proceed. He proceeded by getting out of the Jeep and attempting and threatening the neighbor which then resulted in my neighbor clocking this guy square in the nose.

Anyway, as a 10 year old, he was my hero and solidified the idea that we have rules and some peoples purpose in life are to test them and others are to help them understand why that's a bad idea. Lol.

You're neighbor is probably going to get into trouble but I have to give him a nod for at least attempting to keep people under control. He might look like a big dummy now, but he won't look like that when someone's dog or child gets hit by a car that can't stop because they are going to fast.

I'd like to raise my glass to the boomer that doesn't give a flying flip. I hope he is successful in his endeavors and may he forever be the crazy ass old man that no one is going to **** with because of said perception.
Caliber
AG
txyaloo said:

Mathguy64 said:

zooguy96 said:

ConfidentAg said:

BlueSmoke said:

Orange truck with badge
Crocs
Oversized cargo shorts

He seems fun.....

Yeah, like in 1996.

You'd be amazed at some of the belt innovations that have been made since 1996. They even have this velcro stuff now and slider belts.

Unless the 64 in your handle indicates you're a peepaw. If so, carry on. My elderly dad still loves his braided belt.
Check out Nexbelt. You can even get it in your braided belt look while offering a better fit than your oldschool floppy braided belt.
BrazosDog02
AG
I like my 5.11 Operator belt at 1.75" wide. It's not INFINITELY adjustable but if you waiver within the range you're good. If you need to go from small to XL then maybe adopt a diet program of some sort.
agdoc2001
AG
Lots of posters who spend their afternoons complaining on NextDoor in this thread apparently
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DatTallArchitect
AG
GSS said:

Who calls the grip on a gun (fake or not) a handle?
cochrum
AG
I agree. I have 3 toddlers at my house and it's quite frustrating when people speed by.
GSS
DatTallArchitect said:

GSS said:

Who calls the grip on a gun (fake or not) a handle?
Well, when you're duct-taping a wood handle onto a Thermos, to hassle the speeders with a pseudo radar gun, is it really critical to call it a "grip"?

My F-I-L (WWII vet) would have probably called a magazine a "clip", oh, the horrors!

NRA Life
TSRA Life
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.