Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help with scorpion sting on my young daughter

4,195 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Ogre09
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any quick remedies are appreciated. She's in pain. I know she'll get better in a while but for now dad cannot figure out what to do. Help OB. Thanks.
trouble
AG
Ice it and give her ibuprofen
Slagathor
AG
Only thing that helped me with one on my hand was ice or an ice pack straight on my skin. That took the pain away completely, but as soon as I took it off the fire would come back. Sorry she got stung - it's miserable.
Pantera
AG
trouble said:

Ice it and give her ibuprofen
This, and try to tell her a joke so she doesn't think about it.
Gunny456
AG
Main thing is to make sure she is not having a allergic reaction like she feels like her throat is swelling or her tongue swelling up.
You can make a poltus of vinegar and baking soda. Meat tenderizer will help draw it as well.
You can use those three together if you have them.
Put the poltus over the sting area.
BrazosDog02
AG
Dang. That's a tough spot to be stung for a kid. It's going to hurt. You can try a poultice. My mother used to use baking soda and water and put it on stings. I can't tell you if it really helped or not, but it did make me feel a little bit better. There's no doubt that it hurts, but sometimes the promise and expectation of relief is enough to do a world of good. Sorry for the kiddo.
Chetos
AG
Yup watch for anaphylaxis symptoms. Benadryl helps with pain and will slow down any progress towards anaphylaxis if she's prone to it . And believe it it not, shaving cream helps with almost all stings and bull neddle.
Gunny456
AG
Ice will temporarily numb the pain but will localize the venom. Then it will hurt bad again when you take the ice off. The poltus will help draw the venom out and neutralize it.

Living in the hill country and working the ranch I get stung at least 3-4 times a year.

Tea tree oil will also help it not hurt so bad.
DriftwoodAg
AG
popsicles have helped my boys
hurricanejake02
AG
I got hit on the tip of my thumb a few years back. Healthy dose of benadryl and ibuprofen calmed it all down after a bit. Half my hand did go numb for a few hours.

Not sure how old your daughter is - adjust dosages as appropriate.

Popsicles and ice cream always help to distract from the pain.
MouthBQ98
AG
Ice on it. No pain.

Warms back up: throbs snd burns like hell.
Gunny456
AG
This. This. This.
FSGuide
Growing up our house was infested with them. We always put a baking soda & water paste on it
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
chris1515
AG
I don't know about scorpions, but for yellow jackets, I'd put bleach on it, and that seemed to neutralize it pretty quick.
Reel Aggies
AG
I have been popped a bunch of times, always pour a little ammonia we have in the cabinet over it, sting seems to go away almost immediately. Then it's just going to itch like crazy for a week lol
BurnetAggie99
Growing up my Grandpa would take some Copenhagen and make aTopical tobacco paste. Worked instantly took the pain and swelling away
leanderag82
AG
Baking soda will help.
mrad85
AG
Reel Aggies said:

I have been popped a bunch of times, always pour a little ammonia we have in the cabinet over it, sting seems to go away almost immediately. Then it's just going to itch like crazy for a week lol

That's always been our go to for fire ants, stings of all kinds.
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

Growing up my Grandpa would take some Copenhagen and make aTopical tobacco paste. Worked instantly took the pain and swelling away

Was coming to post this. Seriously is magic.
JFrench
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

This is the only thing I was ever taught for stings. He used Levi Garrett though.

My daughter was stung in between her toes. Walked around with a pinch of my skoal until it was gone. My grandmother found out I dipped after 20 years when she got stung by a wasp and my first instinct was tossing her the can
Irish 2.0
You're gonna think I'm crazy, but THC cream.
lb sand
AG
My dad would take the tobacco out of a cigarette and do the same thing for wasp stings.
2040huck
I have been hit by scorpions a few times. It's really not much different than a wasp Goes away in just a little while.
wrangler1010
WOW.....you're crazy...
MouthBQ98
AG
I can shake off any bee or wasp sting. Hurts but it's just annoying. People can react very differently to scorpions though. My only ever scorpion sting burned like hell for hours, and hurt for a day.
Mowdy Ag
AG
Some stings respond to a paste of non-seasoned meat tenderizer. It supposedly works to break down certain types of venom. I've seen it work first-hand when a friend was finned by a hardhead catfish, but I have no idea if it works for scorpions.
Animal Eight 84
AG
I grow comfrey to treat stings. Squeeze the juice and rub it on.

Also fresh sliced garlic rubbed on also works.
mhnatt
Thanks everyone. Great advice and got her feeling better pretty soon. I trapped the little stinging stinker and have him in a jar. Not sure if I'm going to subject him to slow torture before death or just let him bake.

OB comes through and my daughter appreciates you!
Doc Hayworth
I've used chewed up chewing tobacco, Copenhagen and also wetted cigarette tobacco. Stops the pain and swelling almost immediately.
I got hit by 5 yellow jackets at the same time, uncle spit tobacco juice on my neck where I was stung. It worked but my mother didn't appreciate it very much.
TshirtVulture
I had been hit by scorpions many times but always random stings when I didn't know they were there and thought they were comparable to or even less then a yellow jacket sting. Smacked one and went to pick it up with paper towel that wasn't dead and stinger come got me. Worst sting/pain from sting I'd ever had! I was so confused why so much worse this time I googled it and apparently a scorpion will load up more venom in stinger if it feels more threatened. Well after squishing it I think it gave me all it had left. Nothing helped that day but I'd of gladly tried everything on this thread.
Hewey Calloway
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

I got hit on the hand loading firewood with my brother when I was about 12. He pulled the Copenhagen out of his mouth and stuck it on my hand and made me hold it there. I'm not sure if it worked or I was distracted because I was sitting there gagging and trying to keep from throwing up.

You'd think that experience would keep me from picking up the habit. I wish it would've.
Ogre09
AG
What did you end up using?
DargelSkout
AG
For future reference, straight bleach makes the pain go away immediately. My kid got hit a couple years ago and I had heard this claim, so we tried it. It worked great. We used a qtip soaked in bleach for the application.
cr0wbar
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

My old man used to dip LONG CUT SKOAL [Wintergreen]

He'd buy the large packs and freeze em. Carried his pocket knife around to cut out the tops of coke cans to use as his spit can

First time I was stung by a wasp he whipped out that wad and BOOM, right on my leg. Pain went away quickly, and I smelled wintery fresh.
Burdizzo
AG
Got hit by a scorpion when I was a teenager (and a few more times). Rather than ice, I ran it under hot water, as hot as I could stand, for a few minutes. That worked surprisingly well for me.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.