Outdoors
Sponsored by

Boat Trailer Comes Unhitched

2,442 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by Tony Franklins Other Shoe
Texasclipper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey guys,

I've got a boat trailer with a two inch hitch that has come unhitched a couple of times, fortunately never on the road, but I've got to get this figured out. Both times, I locked the latch and it seemed attached, but it really wasn't.

The hitch is a two inch and the ball is two inch. This has happened on 3 different vehicles all with 2 inch balls. This weekend, we hitched the boat and flipped down the latch, I used a jack to lift the tongue to test if it was firmly hitched. It lifted right off. So i rehitched and did the test again, and it held.

The trailer has very little use and is stored inside. Its in new condition even though its 15 years old. This issue seems to have cropped up in the last couple of years.

My other trailer has a sleeve hitch, so I never have these problems. What am I doing wrong?

Bronco6G
Take a picture of the hitch from underneath, both in the open and closed positions.
Texasclipper
AG
Well, I'm back from the lake, so it may take me a few weeks to do that. Thanks.
op_06
AG
If you're positive you're pairing with the correct ball, the coupler probably needs to be adjusted. There will be a nut underneath the coupler that adjusts the tightness of the clamp.

There shouldn't be any play between the ball and coupler when it's properly adjusted and latched.
cupofjoe04
AG
I would venture that something is amiss with your coupler. Probably needs adjusting or repair.
Texasclipper
AG
What is the adjustment procedure?
AnScAggie
AG
My bet is the coupler is getting pushed up by the ball and you are locking it on top of the ball. Happened to me once on a new to me boat and I only realized it a mile down the road after leaving the marine shop to get the motor tested.
op_06
AG
Texasclipper said:

What is the adjustment procedure?

Here's a few videos. Easier to watch vs explaining. It's a pretty simple task.

sunchaser
AG
Open the latch....
Push the "U" shape lock nut piece up......
Unscrew the nut....
Put it on the ball.....
Push the"U" up and tighten the nut...
Close the latch....you want some tension to close
Make sure the "U" is in the position that locks the nut!
Ribeye-Rare
AG
FWIW, here's my advice on how you can sleep better and not worry about this kind of thing happening again --

Cut off that stamped-steel hitch and weld on a Bulldog forged steel hitch.

Years ago, Bulldog was the go-to. I've noticed some Chinese clones lately and even contractors are using them so they must be pretty good too.

Having spent over 30 years in manufacturing and having paid a ton in liability insurance premiums over that time, I still can't fathom that a trailer manufacturer in this day and age would go cheap on something as important as a hitch.

I know they still sell those cheap hitches, but I'd never trust one. If you've ever had a trailer come off (and not had safety chains) and have it go down the road, you'll known for certain what I mean.
DargelSkout
AG
This! I put bulldog hitches on every trailer I own. I don't trust the type that is in the OP's picture. It's too easy to accidently lock it on top of the ball.
SGrem
Need a new coupler latch or tighten yours significantly. Bring it to me and I can fix while you wait. I rebuild lots of trailers on the side when I'm not booked for Charters.

How is that trailer suspended without the trailer jack?
Texasclipper
AG
LOL! It has two jacks. I'll PM you.
CS78
Once adjusted, get in the habit of always pinning back through the lock hole on the lever when in use.
MouthBQ98
AG
I never had a properly adjusted ball hitch trailer come loose when the latch was pinned or locked in place.

I actually once forgot to latch our bulldog horse trailer once after setting it in the ball. It stayed latched all day until we discovered our error. I mean the side bit and locking ring wasn't even in place. Not sure if that was design or luck. It hasn't happened again though.
AgLA06
AG
I have. **** happens. Especially if you do it enough.

It will wake you up, that's for sure.

Nothing like having to get a rolling jack and put your truck in 4x4 to slowing get off the trailer hitch that is stuck under your truck while people drive by laughing.
docb
AG
I'd just put a new coupler on the trailer. I can't imagine it would cost that much?
Jack Squat 83
AG
I'm no lawyer, but I would suggest taking it to a trailer place and having them professionally repair it. This should switch the liability to 'not' you, in case it causes an accident.

Lawyers and juries have really messed up this country, but that's for another thread.
Pretty sure most of you don’t know me.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
docb said:

I'd just put a new coupler on the trailer. I can't imagine it would cost that much?

Yeah that's like a $30 coupler. I think if that happened to me twice and the fix wasn't immediately apparent i would unbolt it and throw it in the trash to make sure nobody ended up testing those chains
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Couldn't resist with all the discussion.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.