Outdoors
Sponsored by

Africa Trip

6,908 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 10 mo ago by FSGuide
lhAggie16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed to South Africa today to go hunting with my dad! This will be our first time hunting outside of the states and couldn't be more excited. We've got 7 days of hunting ahead. Looking to take a lot of plains game between the two of us so hopefully we shoot straight. Not sure what the internet will be like when we get to the lodge but will do my best to keep the OB informed.

Special thanks to sundevil for all the help in planning our trip, I certainly owe you a few beers.

Here's to a helluva week!
cupofjoe04
AG
Awesome, congrats! We will be following along if you are able to post updates, I'm sure it will generate a lot of interest.

Did you pack JapanTiger in your luggage? Because that's they only wha to guarantee an epic Africa trip… ha ha!
YourFavAggie
AG
Incredible! We did our trip down there a few years back, bucket list item for sure
Eyes of texas Crying
AG
Looking forward to this thread.

Good luck!
FSGuide
Good luck!

I leave for the eastern cape for my first safari in 28 days. It's pretty much all I can think about right now.
-------------------------------------------------------
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
B-1 83
AG
FSGuide said:

Good luck!

I leave for the eastern cape for my first safari in 28 days. It's pretty much all I can think about right now.
Who with?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
AlaskanAg99
AG
Are you bringing a Jeep?
aTm '99
japantiger
S
Good luck....what part of SA?
dr_boogs
AG
I'm in. Love these threads.
lhAggie16
AG
Limpopo, South Africa. Getting ready to board the Atlanta to J-Burg flight here pretty soon. Landing tomorrow night and up and at it early on Sunday for the first hunt. Weather is lining up to be really nice for the week
aggiesundevil4
AG
Best of luck buddy!!!! Will be reading every post!
AV8ORAG84
AG
Im at African Sky guesthouse right now , headed to outfitter in a few hours . Good Luck !
AG
I wish one of you guys would go to SA and hunt a great white shark.

They have those there, too.
4xAgs
AG
In the Maasai Mara in Kenya as I write this - only shooting pics though. Incredible experience.

FSGuide
B-1 83 said:

FSGuide said:

Good luck!

Who with?

Kubusi safaris Tusker Lodge out of Grahamstown or whatever they changed the town name to
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
FSGuide
4 said:

Im taking the family on a day of fishing out of Cape Town while I'm there too. Maybe we will hook one for you
2ndChanceAg96
AG
I would love to take my daughter on one of these maybe next year. Not shooting but just an opportunity to take pics and see everything in the wild. She would love that. If anyone has suggestions and ballpark costs that would be great.
aggiesundevil4
AG
&Beyond is a great company that owns safaris all across Africa, start on their website then talk to their people and they will help you get more educated on the type of experience you want and what your budget is. Huge range in costs. We did like 4-5 days in their Phinda Mountain Lodge on the eastern cape and it was unbelievable…and very expensive. Chef food every meal, high end everything, feels like you have 100,000 acres to yourself, one of my kids almost got attacked by a male lion from 10 yards, they had it all.

Get a good camera before you go.

B-1 83
AG
FSGuide said:

B-1 83 said:

FSGuide said:

Good luck!

Who with?

Kubusi safaris Tusker Lodge out of Grahamstown or whatever they changed the town name to
J'burg to East London flight aboard beautiful SA Airways?
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
FSGuide
B-1 83 said:

FSGuide said:

B-1 83 said:

FSGuide said:

Good luck!

Who with?

J'burg to East London flight aboard beautiful SA Airways?

Cape Town to Port Elizabeth on SA
lhAggie16
AG
Got in really late last night as we were almost 4 hours away from the airport. Ran into a good, bull hippo about 10 minutes from the gate. The camp is nice and the food has been great so far. Finished up our morning hunt today with no luck. The PH's are very confident in seeing a good kudu and zebra this evening or early tomorrow morning (had a late start today because of the late arrival). Big plus as that was each of our #1's. The bush is something else, you have to see it to understand. More pics to come

Also, shoutout to the Ags for beating Ark, hopefully we can catch some of the game tonight!
lhAggie16
AG
Best of luck to you as well!
lhAggie16
AG
No luck yesterday. Heard some zebras and saw some more kudu tracks but didn't see either. Up bright and early to hopefully have some luck today!
lhAggie16
AG
Really busy morning but nothing to show for it. I went and checked a field to hopefully get an early morning impala and we found a large group of females but no male. Continued up the mountain and found 3 males that we stalked for a bit, one shooter in the group but the wind switched on us and they took off. Found a couple wildebeest but they were all too small to shoot. Had a warthog that was really big and we chased after him through the bush but never saw him after the initial sighting. Dad saw 4 zebras that he went after but never found them. The plan for the afternoon is to sit in a blind that we think a kudu bull is hanging around and just hides when he hears the truck. Hopefully we break the seal this afternoon.
Deerdude
4 said:

Yea, but they are all hiding outside cages.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I wanna see some trophy pics! Get out there and give them hell!
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good luck! Following for the pics
aggiesundevil4
AG
Hang in there, my first 3 days on my first trip were frustrating and full of failure too, then things really turned around. Stay focused and optimistic buddy and you'll git r done.
lhAggie16
AG
lhAggie16
AG
Well we broke through this afternoon with a blue wildebeest! Dad was hunting for zebra and had this guy come out. There was a cow that had come out before that he was trying to take a video of when the bull followed her out. Had it cooked up for dinner tonight and man was it good.

About 15 minutes after his shot, we had two warthogs come out and start feeding. Decided to pass in hopes of the kudu we are chasing would come out but no luck. I'm headed back to the blind in the morning anticipating being out there all day as we had the same bull show up twice without us being there and then Dad is going to keep chasing zebra.

austinAG90
AG
Are you at the Wild Wildebeest Lodge by chance ?
lhAggie16
AG
No I'm with Theron African Safaris
lhAggie16
AG
Weather was really hot this morning and really windy. We were sitting in the blind for a while when those warthogs showed back up. Had a feeling we weren't getting a kudu there with the current conditions so we took the pig!

Once the truck came to pick us up, the tracker said there was a group of 6 kudu between us and camp so we drove past the group to walk back up on them because the wind was in our face but once we saw them the wind was swirling and they took off. Hoping for better luck with the kudu this afternoon.

Waking up really early tomorrow to go to a different camp in the southern part of SA so it will feel like a whole new trip.
japantiger
S
Keep em coming!!!
aggiesundevil4
AG
Nice piggie, keep after it!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.