Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tree well rescue

2,026 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by MAS444
El Chupacabra
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Dude is super lucky. And rescuer did a great job.

MouthBQ98
AG
I've been in a couple of those feet first and had to build stairs to crawl my way out but never occurred to me you could go head first and it would be like getting trapped under an avalanche if it was powdery.
Yesterday
AG
Bet that felt like forever under there. Always ski with a partner. Also why I stick to groomed slopes.
MAS444
AG
That guy was incredibly fortunate. I wondered if the rescuer was specifically looking for him and according to the youtube description, he wasn't - he just happened upon him.

Question for those who know...I'm assuming there is some amount of air you can get down there covered in snow like that? Or no? It's obviously not enough to breathe very long. I'm just curious how he was able to breathe at all. Unless it had just happened.
CavitationAG
AG
That is incredible that the skier ended up nearly skiing right over the top of him. So fortunate for the boarder to be found.
Unemployed
AG
https://komonews.com/news/local/video-snowboarder-rescued-back-country-mount-baker-ski-area-bellingham-washington-state-snowboarding-skiing-safety-gopro-outdoor-sports
Hobbes01
AG
The stuff of nightmares! This reinforces my desire to never ski backcountry.
SGrem
Holy moly. God needs that guy around longer. Sent his buddy to ski over the top of him otherwise they find him in a year or two. Wow.
MAS444
AG
It wasn't his buddy - they were all already downhill and had no idea where he was. He could hear them calling him on his radio but couldn't reach it.
AgLA06
AG
I can add that to ways I have no want to go.

Jesus, that has to be the most disparaging situation in the world. Just lay there completely unhurt with full conscience waiting days or weeks to starve to death / die of dehydration. His gear and the insulation by the snow would have probably stopped hyperthermia.

I think I'm going to puke thinking about it.
Sims
AG
I've been stuck in a strikingly similar fashion with about a foot less depth (also a snowboarder).

Past the panic, the struggle is whatever snow you're able to displace to your side is usually replaced by falling snow. Trying to leverage the tree trunk, usually brings more snow down from the branches.

I was under for a couple minutes and it seemed like hours. I was able to climb the tree to get out. My face was all scraped up because I was using that to brace myself against the tree.
Yesterday
AG
Sims said:

I've been stuck in a strikingly similar fashion with about a foot less depth (also a snowboarder).

Past the panic, the struggle is whatever snow you're able to displace to your side is usually replaced by falling snow. Trying to leverage the tree trunk, usually brings more snow down from the branches.

I was under for a couple minutes and it seemed like hours. I was able to climb the tree to get out. My face was all scraped up because I was using that to brace myself against the tree.

Damn! F that! Groomed Blues for me baby!
maroon barchetta
ccard257
AG
MAS444 said:

Question for those who know...I'm assuming there is some amount of air you can get down there covered in snow like that? Or no? It's obviously not enough to breathe very long. I'm just curious how he was able to breathe at all. Unless it had just happened.
Time is limited. Outside of other trauma or being trapped in such a way that your chest physically can't expand...your breath melts the snow immediately in front of your nose/mouth, which then forms an ice crust at the edge of what melts. Your remaining oxygen is now whatever is in this small pocket. So if you have a free-ish hand or one near your face, you want to make this pocket as big as possible.
MAS444
AG
That's what I wanted to know - thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.