Outdoors
Sponsored by

P rickly Pear cactus dying, any ideas why?

2,352 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by p_bubel
rab79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hasn't been sprayed. Need this to spread across the whole place.

NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
O.G.
Doesn't appear to be dying. It appears to be turning purple. In which case you have zero right to ask what it is doing!
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Dead pear
rab79
AG
no, it is dying, any educated ideas?
NO AMNESTY!

in order for democrats, liberals, progressives et al to continue their illogical belief systems they have to pretend not to know a lot of things; by pretending "not to know" there is no guilt, no actual connection to conscience. Denial of truth allows easier trespass.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Animals piss on it?
SanAntoneAg
AG
Drought stress?
Gig 'em! '90
Marlin39m
Pack rats will kill it like that sometimes from chewing on the right spots.
Wodanaz
AG
Sunscald
fullback44
AG
OP when you figure it out let me know.. I could use some of that stuff out on the farm .. I wish it would all go away
Tx95Ag
AG
Gift from God above?
B-1 83
AG
O.G. said:

Doesn't appear to be dying. It appears to be turning purple. In which case you have zero right to ask what it is doing!
Obviously strangling……

Do you see any cottony looking spots on it? Could be cochineal insects…….or cold damage
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
O.G.
B-1 83 said:

O.G. said:

Obviously strangling……

Do you see any cottony looking spots on it? Could be cochineal insects…….or cold damage
I was um.....making a joke....as in, his pear was turning into Liberace......
DargelSkout
AG
You can come to my place and take all the *****ly pear you want.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Teach me your secrets! Count your blessings, it costs 20k/section to have it sprayed aerially. Would love for some of our pear infested areas to die off with no input costs.
SCQ
Got too cold. Rare but happens
HtownAg92
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Teach me your secrets! Count your blessings, it costs 20k/section to have it sprayed aerially. Would love for some of our pear infested areas to die off with no input costs.
It was $5/hour for me an three other junior high kids to walk with sprayers and tool belts full of pellets to clear out 80 acres of mesquites and *****ly pears. This was around 1982, so the prices may have gone up. We only ran into about 30 or so rattlers. Good times.
rab79
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Funny you say that, had one of the local landowners we did daywork for that had a really bad pear problem on two sections get something in the pear that wiped it out within two years. Now, decades later, that place is still almost pear free. We did take some of the affected pear to our place hoping whatever it was would spread but never got the same result. The other place had pear so thick you couldn't walk in places so maybe it was easier to transmit between plants.

Was hoping someone had seen the condition of pear in my picture and could give a reason for it, a parasite or disease that would spread but I guess not.

I have seen pear around the place in a similar condition for the last 3 or 4 years but interspersed with healthy plants so I think that eliminates drought or cold as a causative agent.
NO AMNESTY!

Dogdoc
AG
*****ly Pear (Cactus) moth?
rab79
AG
Wodanaz said:

Sunscald

Seems most likely, now how to get that fungus to spread! All the web tells me is how to treat it .
NO AMNESTY!

CanyonAg77
AG
OP reminds me of how our prairie dogs disappeared due to bubonic plaque.

I'd bottle that stuff and have it ready to spread again, if I could.
txrancher69
AG
I've seen that happen from time to time on patches, but never spread from there. On the off chance it is fungal it might be interesting to experiment making a spray from that infected patch. Throw it in a 55 gal drum with water and mash up. Let it sit a few days to ferment then pour off, filter and spray result on healthy cactus.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
rab79
AG
txrancher69 said:

I've seen that happen from time to time on patches, but never spread from there. On the off chance it is fungal it might be interesting to experiment making a spray from that infected patch. Throw it in a 55 gal drum with water and mash up. Let it sit a few days to ferment then pour off, filter and spray result on healthy cactus.
I was thinking about cutting up some of the dying pads and tossing them in a healthy patch.
NO AMNESTY!

txrancher69
AG
rab79 said:

txrancher69 said:

I was thinking about cutting up some of the dying pads and tossing them in a healthy patch.
That could do it as well. It may be nematodes of some kind so try scattering some dirt after digging a few up. If it is a disease there must be a way to spread it.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
Aggieangler93
AG
I think you could bottle it and sell it for high dollar if you came up with something that killed a whole field off. I hate the crap!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Rattler12
Aggieangler93 said:

I think you could bottle it and sell it for high dollar if you came up with something that killed a whole field off. I hate the crap!
Have you ever tried making.........

Aggieangler93
AG
Rattler12 said:

Aggieangler93 said:

Have you ever tried making.........

Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
p_bubel
rab79 said:

txrancher69 said:

This is the answer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.