Outdoors
Sponsored by

Nashville Shooting PD body cam

10,318 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Pooh Ah
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The policies were already revamped from "cordon and call swat/negotiate" to "grab the first couple guys on scene and make entry" after Columbine.

Uvalde was extra bad because the cops ignored long standing practice established for years before they failed as officers and men to do exactly what these cops and many others have done: confront evil as quickly and violently as possible.
jpistolero02
That was an amazing display of bravery. Kudos to the woman giving calm and meaningful info when badass arrived on scene. She could have easily run for the hills.

Looks like a Vortex Razor 1-6. I can see where a guy in his position would carry that. Truly incredible of all those officers on scene.
Pookers
AG
For those who are knowledgeable, with LVPOs in similar situations do you leave it at 1x magnification or bump it up a little?
bigtruckguy3500
Cop with the rifle (first half of video) definitely knew what he was doing. Would surprise me if former military or took high level training course. The others were trying, seemed to have room clearing concept, but were either overwhelmed by adrenaline or just insufficient practice.

Some of y'all pointed how they ran towards gunfire instead of waiting in the wings till they had adequate numbers. Reminded me of a Marine Corps recruiting video from a few years ago.

Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Unless you also have iron sights or reflex, i always leave the variable optic on the lowest power for faster target acquisition
Buck Compton
AG
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Unless you also have iron sights or reflex, i always leave the variable optic on the lowest power for faster target acquisition
Yes. Leave at 1 when clearing, crank it up if a longer shot is needed.
FrioAg 00
AG
UTExan said:

I only wish that the Uvalde cops had the same chutzpah.

There would probably be more than a dozen kids alive with their families right now if Uvalde PD wasn't coward central
RCR06
AG
Benders correct. Protocols changed after columbine from what I've read in the past. With Uvalde I think every police force was reminded recently what not to do and what the consequences are to kids and teachers.
Gunny456
AG
Blessed are the Peacemakers.

Read somewhere a few months ago in a Texas Peace Officers Assoc magazine that it is estimated that 60% of current LEO's in the country are Ex military.
Smeghead4761
The simple fact that that one officer had an LPVO on his patrol rifle most likely indicates that he's had extra training, and he's quite possibly SWAT or former SWAT. (I have no idea if Nashville PD has a full time SWAT team, or if it's officers who do it as an extra gig and regular duties the rest of the time.) I know some in some police departments, only officers with specific training such as sniper or SWAT are issued or allowed to use magnified optics.

The way that he took charge when he rolled up would seem to back this up. From the press release, neither of the officers who took down the shooter were sergeants, but Officer LPVO took charge and everyone deferred to him.

I did see one other officer with a rifle, which was sporting what looked like a red dot of some sort. He fell in behind Officer LPVO and then kind of seemed to disappear.

Personally, inside a building, I'd much rather be running a red dot or better yet an EOTech. No worries about eye relief/eye box, and it just so much faster on target.

I do find it interesting that someone was calling the guy with the LPVO up to the front, even though there was an officer with what looked to be a shotgun. Maybe the officer with the shottie wasn't confident using it (a lot of cops aren't), but personally, at indoor distances, give me a 12 gauge.
P.U.T.U
AG
LPVO guy did have training, Marine and SWAT medic. That's why you had other police standing guard telling him where the shots were fired.

Instead of a bunch of cops running around like crazy they were organized and setting positions. Great job by the whole force
Mas89
AG
FrioAg 00 said:

UTExan said:

I only wish that the Uvalde cops had the same chutzpah.

There would probably be more than a dozen kids alive with their families right now if Uvalde PD wasn't coward central
Not just Uvalde PD. There were dozens of Tx. DPS officers and a Tx. Ranger there also.
Yesterday
AG
Having cleared rooms south of Baghdad it's a terrible feeling door after door. These officers didn't know it was a woman. Could have been several men. They ran to it anyway. Bless those officers and fund the police!!
FTAG 2000
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Cop with the rifle (first half of video) definitely knew what he was doing. Would surprise me if former military or took high level training course. The others were trying, seemed to have room clearing concept, but were either overwhelmed by adrenaline or just insufficient practice.

Some of y'all pointed how they ran towards gunfire instead of waiting in the wings till they had adequate numbers. Reminded me of a Marine Corps recruiting video from a few years ago.

Rifleman is a Nashville police SWAT medic.
1997 AG
AG
P.U.T.U said:

LPVO guy did have training, Marine and SWAT medic. That's why you had other police standing guard telling him where the shots were fired.

Instead of a bunch of cops running around like crazy they were organized and setting positions. Great job by the whole force

If I'm not mistaken, Collazo (pistol with hat backwards) is the Marine/SWAT medic.
cavscout96
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

The policies were already revamped from "cordon and call swat/negotiate" to "grab the first couple guys on scene and make entry" after Columbine.

Uvalde was extra bad because the cops ignored long standing practice established for years before they failed as officers and men to do exactly what these cops and many others have done: confront evil as quickly and violently as possible.
Nashville was a perfect example of the LGOP principle.
bigtruckguy3500
Yesterday said:

Having cleared rooms south of Baghdad it's a terrible feeling door after door. These officers didn't know it was a woman. Could have been several men. They ran to it anyway. Bless those officers and fund the police!!
Not really important at this point, but was the shooter an actual woman? Or was it a dude that identified as a woman?

Again, moot point now. Just curious. Haven't really bothered to look up his/her name or read about them otherwise.
jpistolero02
It was a woman that identified as male.
Yesterday
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Yesterday said:

Not really important at this point, but was the shooter an actual woman? Or was it a dude that identified as a woman?

Again, moot point now. Just curious. Haven't really bothered to look up his/her name or read about them otherwise.

It's a good question because it's confusing as hell. From what I have read she was born a woman and wanted to be a man. I even read an article that said "their" when referring to the shooter's weapons. So I had to figure out if there was more than one shooter or if it was a stupid pronoun. The world we live in today.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Time to update the SSRI / mass shooter poster.
www.southpawprecision.com
Type 07 FFL / Class 2 SOT
Nightforce Optics Dealer
DannyDuberstein
AG
Extremely impressive and how it should be done.

Also major props to the teacher/admin who gave an extremely clear status on lockdown, directions to where they last heard shots, and where most of the kids were. Also at the ready with the keys to allow immediate entry.
lp01
AG
I thought about this a bit yesterday. If this person was transitioning, could the hormones have played a role? I'm not a doctor, biologist, etc., nor do I pretend to be one.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Per a post on linkedin, these are the hero's:
bam02
AG
Mental illness played a role
lp01
AG
That I agree with, but curious if unnatural amounts of testosterone being added into the mix didn't contribute.
bam02
AG
Can't say it's impossible, but I've dealt with a couple of dudes with roid rage back in the day. None of them were sick enough to murder children.
Aggietaco
AG
Smeghead4761 said:

Personally, inside a building, I'd much rather be running a red dot or better yet an EOTech. No worries about eye relief/eye box, and it just so much faster on target.

LPVO officer's rifle had an offset Aimpoint Acro.

And I don't think anyone can argue with his speed to target whether he was using the Razor or the Acro.
P.U.T.U
AG
Nor do I think anyone cares since he took down the murderer with the first shots.

I have seen a few former special operations guys saying if you want to build a do it all rifle the LPVO with an offset red dot is the way to go. I have shot a few and that is the way I am going
javajaws
AG
Pookers said:

For those who are knowledgeable, with LVPOs in similar situations do you leave it at 1x magnification or bump it up a little?
At the 2:30 minute mark or so you can clearly see the lever on the zoom ring all the way to the left...so most likely 1x or between 1x and 2x.

Which is probably what you want there if running a LPVO. Red dot would have been fine as well there but I guess they defer to LPVO guy in case the encounter ends up in a long hallway.

I can't see them wanting to use a shotgun anywhere in there given the possibility of a hostage situation, even with the minimal spread at inside-the-room distances.
P.U.T.U
AG
Pookers said:

For me since I haven't spent a ton of time doing quick engagements with a 1x LVPO and have an astigmatism I find I am much quicker to acquire a target with a red dot
javajaws
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

Per a post on linkedin, these are the hero's:

Obligatory:

Unemployed
AG
Dumb question...the officers seem to be holding their weapons at an angle relative to the ground. Why?
gigemJTH12
AG
RockwallAg said:

I have a 8 year old and wife that teaches. They both have body armor on-site, my wife also has a medic and first aid kit in the classroom.

Also this summer we spent time cutting up old fire hose to be used as sore locks (place it on the hydraulic arm of the classroom door) and handed them out to all of the other teachers.

Praying for these families and out country.
can you post more detail about this?
cupofjoe04
AG
RealTalk said:

Dumb question...the officers seem to be holding their weapons at an angle relative to the ground. Why?
I think he had an offset- possibly not looking through the main optic, and instead using the secondary.
RockwallAg
AG
gigemJTH12 said:

RockwallAg said:

I have a 8 year old and wife that teaches. They both have body armor on-site, my wife also has a medic and first aid kit in the classroom.

Also this summer we spent time cutting up old fire hose to be used as sore locks (place it on the hydraulic arm of the classroom door) and handed them out to all of the other teachers.

Praying for these families and out country.
can you post more detail about this?

Sure what would you like to know? I asked the local FD to donate old firehose. And then purchased a fabric cutter from Amazon. I cut the hose into 10-12 inch sections.

These slide over the hydraulic arm on classroom doors acting as a lock. The door will not open until the firehouse sleeve is removed.

This one is being sold on Etsy (not mine) and is shorter than the ones I cut.

Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/998446007/door-closer-lock-down-locks-from?ref=share_v4_lx
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.