Outdoors
Sponsored by

Nashville Shooting PD body cam

10,320 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by Pooh Ah
zooguy96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
When I was a teacher, we had 2 Student Resource Officers for a campus 3/8 of a mile long. One was severely overweight, and could not have responded quickly to something like this.

The doors on our classroom opened outward. We were told to put desks and chairs against the opening - which wouldn't have done anything if a perpetrator got the door opened - it freaking opened outward. We were told to use pencils, etc - anything we could make a weapon out of (instead of having actual weapons available).

This is what is stupid.

And, of course, the media is not saying a thing about the guns that SAVED all of the other kids.
O.G.
zooguy96 said:

When I was a teacher, we had 2 Student Resource Officers for a campus 3/8 of a mile long. One was severely overweight, and could not have responded quickly to something like this.

The doors on our classroom opened outward. We were told to put desks and chairs against the opening - which wouldn't have done anything if a perpetrator got the door opened - it freaking opened outward. We were told to use pencils, etc - anything we could make a weapon out of (instead of having actual weapons available).

This is what is stupid.

And, of course, the media is not saying a thing about the guns that SAVED all of the other kids.
Its that way in a lot of agencies. School resource officer is seen as a "retirement" job, for someone nearing the end of the tenure. Until its not.

Most of the time they aren't doing tacti-cool stuff, that's true, but someone's beer belly having grandpa or grandma with a badge, isn't going to prevent anything.
zooguy96
O.G. said:

zooguy96 said:

This is what is stupid.

Its that way in a lot of agencies. School resource officer is seen as a "retirement" job, for someone nearing the end of the tenure. Until its not.

Most of the time they aren't doing tacti-cool stuff, that's true, but someone's beer belly having grandpa or grandma with a badge, isn't going to prevent anything.

Both the guys at our school were in their 30's. So, not grandpas. One was just in horrid shape.
O.G.
zooguy96 said:

O.G. said:

zooguy96 said:

This is what is stupid.

Both the guys at our school were in their 30's. So, not grandpas. One was just in horrid shape.
Interesting. When my kids were going to school in BCS, I only knew one resource officer that was 1. Male and 2. Younger.
gigemJTH12
AG
Very smart! Thank you
JFABNRGR
AG
javajaws said:

Pookers said:

For those who are knowledgeable, with LVPOs in similar situations do you leave it at 1x magnification or bump it up a little?
At the 2:30 minute mark or so you can clearly see the lever on the zoom ring all the way to the left...so most likely 1x or between 1x and 2x.

Which is probably what you want there if running a LPVO. Red dot would have been fine as well there but I guess they defer to LPVO guy in case the encounter ends up in a long hallway.

I can't see them wanting to use a shotgun anywhere in there given the possibility of a hostage situation, even with the minimal spread at inside-the-room distances.
Aggie Taco stated LPVO officer's rifle had an offset Aimpoint Acro. I believe him and witness how he fired canted but I cannot see the Acro mounted on that rifle anywhere in the video. I must be blind. I also don't understand somebody calling out reloading at 3:18 mark. At first I thought pistol or shotgun guy fired first and they did a tac reload but I don't think that is the case. Maybe someone dropped a mag.

On the shotgun do a walk back test in 5M increments shooting at hostage target starting with 4s and working up to 000 buck and you will be surprised at shotgun capability. The FBI HRT did a mobile shoot course with us and at that time (way back this was preferred weapon). We were using two balloons stapled side by side representing good/bad for instant feedback.

I am convinced the difference between here and Uvalde was the fortitude and leadership of one man maybe two. In that 6 minutes of video you can see multiple occasions of officers wanting to stop or already stopped but Englebert and even Collazo keep them on task.

I think the Active Shooter training needs to be reviewed and likely more focus placed on leadership under stress. SUA SPONTE. Clearing takes a lot of skill no doubt but to move on and keep clearing or rushing to the sound of gunfire requires fortitude. This training should include the ability to quickly asses that a superior officer from your own or different unit may just not have the courage to do so and you need to take control and move directing them as needed to complete the mission of eliminating the threat asap. If they don't come along so be it.....though I be the lone survivor.
FamousAgg
This is what happens when you don't wait for shields and more rifles, and have competent people on scene. Unlike the Uvalde Chief with no radio.
Pooh Ah
AG
This training saved lives.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.