Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old western (abandoned? movie set?) town near Chapel Hill/Brenham off HWY 290

4,529 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by duge60
mhnatt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Around the late 1980's, my friends and I stopped by what looked like an old, well kept and preserved western town, just off HWY 290, east of Brenham. It had a saloon (with a sign I believe that read "Jezebels"), a couple of merchantiles, what looked like a hotel, etc. I seem to recall peering into the window of the saloon to see poker tables and a bar, which looked directly out of a western movie set. It had many buildings (not just a single strip) and even had a few streets and houses.

We didn't have the interweb to look up what this place was. Sometimes over the years, when I was coming throuh, I'd stop there just to look but never encountered anyone. As I drove 290 this past weekend, I could no longer find it.

Does anyone remember this and have any info?

If it were just me, I'd think I was nuts but my friends I still keep in touch with remember it well.
Hay&Pecans
AG
Winklemann, Tx. I've heard the guy wanted to create his own town/ tourist attraction but it never worked out.
HtownAg92
AG
Yeah, it was there forever. I drive that way all the time to see family in Central Texas. I didn't realize it was gone until you just reminded me I haven't seen it in a while.

If you keep going north to Somerville you will see a more meaningful loss -- you'll want to cry every time you see the empty lot where the Country Inn used to be.
Independence H-D
RIP Country inn. I'm certain that place started me down the slippery slope of cholesterol
HtownAg92
AG
Independence H-D said:

RIP Country inn. I'm certain that place started me down the slippery slope of cholesterol
There are not many places in the world that you can get a 60 oz T-bone, baked potato and 5 can beers for $20, including tip. Especially not where the steaks were actually damn good and butchered on site.
AustinCountyAg
and the fried squash....****. I was literally thinking about that place as I drove through there a few weeks back. I was also fond of the CFS with BROWN gravy.
HtownAg92
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

and the fried squash....****. I was literally thinking about that place as I drove through there a few weeks back. I was also fond of the CFS with BROWN gravy.
As I got older and fatter, I had to switch the half size CFS, which was still the size of a pizza.

I also loved the baked potato condiment carousel thing that they set on the table. Last time I went to Barbeque Inn they still had those.
96ags
AG
Country Inn is where I proposed to my wife, because that's where we had our 1st date.

Yeah, I know. I'm a romantic SOB.
schmellba99
AG
Country Inn was the shiz, hardly anybody actually called it that though. Somerville steak house was the street name and everybody knew exactly what you were talking about.

I remember when my parents came to visit one time and we went there for dinner - hey, the Olde Man was paying so I wanted to maximize the return here.

He read the menu the first time and said "the hell? That's not a steak, that's a roast!". We ordered the family size for each of us, I was eating steak, fajitas, etc. for at least a week after. Wasn't the best quality meat out there, but they made up for it in volume and knowing how to cook it properly. Good times.
marcel ledbetter
What happened to the Sommerville Steakhouse?
agsalaska
AG
Yea I didn't know that either. When did it go?

I drive through there during deer season sometimes and didn't notice it gone
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
AggieOO
i had my first legal beer at somerville steakhouse. still have the can with the date on it somewhere in a box in the attic.
HtownAg92
AG
It's been gone for a good 15 years. I think they had a family dispute and either sold it or one family faction kept it. New group tried to keep it running the same and failed. Went through a few different names and concepts, like a "seafood" place (catfish). Then I think it became a junk store / flea market. Then it shuttered completely. Then stayed abandoned for a few years until more recently razed.
schmellba99
AG
HtownAg92 said:

It's been gone for a good 15 years. I think they had a family dispute and either sold it or one family faction kept it. New group tried to keep it running the same and failed. Went through a few different names and concepts, like a "seafood" place (catfish). Then I think it became a junk store / flea market. Then it shuttered completely. Then stayed abandoned for a few years until more recently razed.
Seems I heard they had some structural issues with the building (not surprising, it was sketchy AF) and then a fire in the kitchen that really started the downfall, but maybe i'm thinking of something else or flat making that up out of thin air.
Emotional Support Cobra
AG
96ags said:

Country Inn is where I proposed to my wife, because that's where we had our 1st date.

LOL thank goodness our first date was at Square One in Bryan! Also RIP to that gem.

RIP Country Inn. There's not many places we would drive 30 minutes for dinner.
Ragoo
AG
HtownAg92 said:

Yeah, it was there forever. I drive that way all the time to see family in Central Texas. I didn't realize it was gone until you just reminded me I haven't seen it in a while.

If you keep going north to Somerville you will see a more meaningful loss -- you'll want to cry every time you see the empty lot where the Country Inn used to be.
Frank's in Schulenberg
Ragoo
AG
Emotional Support Cobra said:

96ags said:

LOL thank goodness our first date was at Square One in Bryan! Also RIP to that gem.

had our rehearsal dinner at square one. It was really good. Not sure why it failed.
malenurse
AG
CFS w/brown gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and coconut creme pie for dessert.

Always stopped there as a kid on our way to Crystal City and the deer lease.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
NoahAg
Somerville Steakhouse AND Square One are closed?!?
Is Mr. G's Pizza in downtown Bryan still around?
I should better just stay off TexAgs.
Let's go, Brandon!
TarponChaser
schmellba99 said:

HtownAg92 said:

Seems I heard they had some structural issues with the building (not surprising, it was sketchy AF) and then a fire in the kitchen that really started the downfall, but maybe i'm thinking of something else or flat making that up out of thin air.

I think I remember that happening.

I had a bet when I was a kid that my old man had to buy me dinner there if I was 6' tall by the time I turned 14. He had to pay up. I recall a number of father-son dinners there in HS with football teammates. I don't recall any of us boys needing to-go boxes either. Some of us may have even polished off our dad's leftovers before walking out the door.
Ragoo
AG
malenurse said:

CFS w/brown gravy, mashed potatoes, green beans and coconut creme pie for dessert.

Always stopped there as a kid on our way to Crystal City and the deer lease.
cinnamon raisin bread. Toy pop guns.
schmellba99
AG
TarponChaser said:

schmellba99 said:

HtownAg92 said:

I think I remember that happening.

I had a bet when I was a kid that my old man had to buy me dinner there if I was 6' tall by the time I turned 14. He had to pay up. I recall a number of father-son dinners there in HS with football teammates. I don't recall any of us boys needing to-go boxes either. Some of us may have even polished off our dad's leftovers before walking out the door.
Yeah, but you are a big ole sumbeetch offensive lineman. Ugly AF, but still hefty.

I could hold my own back then, but I wasn't 300lbs and didn't burn 10k calories a day like you did.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
NoahAg said:

Uhhh, you have heard about the Cow Hop, right?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
schmellba99
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

NoahAg said:

And Fitzwilly's
trip98
AG
I was thinking something similar!! He says it as if he's doing some humble brag....but if folks saw him they would say "yeah, not surprised"!! I was scrawny little dude in high school but I could still pound food like 98% of high schoolers can!!
30 years later....not so much.....and I even tried to pound all the goodness Tarpon cooked up last Saturday but my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Pheasant and greens off the charts!!
trip98
AG
schmellba99 said:

NoahAg said:

And Fitzwilly's
oh man....Fitz's Favorite on wednesdays were a deal.....$3.25 for a cheeseburger fries and a beer!!
HtownAg92
AG
schmellba99 said:

NoahAg said:

And Fitzwilly's
Sooooo New Army.

Deluxe Burger Bar, Wing Joint, Flying Tomato or GTFO.

schmellba99
AG
HtownAg92 said:

schmellba99 said:

NoahAg said:

And Fitzwilly's
Sooooo New Army.

Deluxe Burger Bar, Wing Joint, Flying Tomato or GTFO.

Those were all there when Fitz's was around.
AggieOO
Kind of hard for the flying tomato to be around at the same time as Fitz, no?
malenurse
AG
Old Army, what was the place in Snook that had all you can eat catfish and chicken?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
schmellba99
AG
AggieOO said:

Kind of hard for the flying tomato to be around at the same time as Fitz, no?

I must be thinking of something else with a similar name then.

It was all a long time ago now, the memories are fuzzy as it is.
Burdizzo
AG
Ragoo said:

Emotional Support Cobra said:

96ags said:

had our rehearsal dinner at square one. It was really good. Not sure why it failed.

If I recall, Square One didn't so much as fail as the owner just decided to do something else. Never had a bad meal there.
mhnatt
LOL - Classic TexAgs: Once the OPs question is answered, then it's a free-for-all to divert the subject into whatever bunny trail you like!
agsalaska
AG
One of the best qualities of the OB specifically but TexAgs in general.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
AggieOO
to bring it back to the original topic, here's a picture of the sign I took back in '03. Took me a bit to find it on an old HD.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.