Outdoors
Sponsored by

Blue Mesa Ice Fishing. Pic heavy.

2,312 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by SunrayAg
BradMtn346
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Bighorn ewes on the way to the lake for the first trip.

My son with our first day's keepers. Lots released that day.

So the trout in good condition are ruby red and taste a lot like salmon. Those pre and post spawn are not as red. Have a milder flavor.

4 browns and a lake trout. The lake trout are different. I only keep ones under 24 inches. Some like them more, some prefer the ruby red.

While tough to find, there are yellow perch in Blue, best eating fish in my opinion.

Often get into both.

Lake trout, brown, rainbow.

Yesterday. They were too frozen to get pictures on the ice. It was -9 when I unloaded the sleds. Only 24 when I left.

Thinking about guiding professionally next year. At least until calving starts. I'll be working for someone else. Likely Colorado Fishing Expeditions or Sport Fish Colorado. Or both as need arises.
BradMtn346
If you are thinking about a trophy lake trout trip, both the companies mentioned can hook you up with Brandon Owens. It is not my thing, but he is obsessed, and if you want to pull a 20 pound plus fish through the ice, if you can listen, he can hook you up. He will be guiding until ice off and after. He has a great boat too.
txrancher69
AG
You are really living the life!!
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
Max06
AG
I'm heading up there Friday. I might have to give him a call.
Aggieangler93
AG
Really makes me want to go fishing after cutting brush all weekend. But that cold is not for me. I think I will try POC this weekend.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
BlueSmoke
Awesome!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
Bird Poo
AG
Great explanation of the ruby red vs milder colors. Agree that the red flesh tastes more like salmon but just thought it was brook trout vs newly stocked trout. Had no idea it was related to trout health!
AgLA06
AG
Maybe I'm miss remembering, but aren't you more northwest? That appears to be a drive for you.

How thick was the ice? How thick does it need to be?
fightintxaggie10
AG
What tackle are you using? Do you have a fish locator (can't remember what those things are really called)? Also how did you cook the trout? I've done smoked trout which is awesome on whole "stockers".
The D
AG
Perch is the best
BradMtn346
AgLA06 said:

Maybe I'm miss remembering, but aren't you more northwest? That appears to be a drive for you.

How thick was the ice? How thick does it need to be?
I'm in Crawford, 36 miles west of the dam, but it is a slow road. I figure 1.25 hours to the Marina in the middle of the lake. Ice thickness varies a lot around the lake. I drilled 8 inches to over 2 feet. It needs to be 4 inches of hard ice. Clear ice is harder than white or cloudy ice.
BradMtn346
fightintxaggie10 said:

What tackle are you using? Do you have a fish locator (can't remember what those things are really called)? Also how did you cook the trout? I've done smoked trout which is awesome on whole "stockers".

I use a lot of small jigs for trout and little tungsten tear drops for the perch. I have a fish finder, there are lots of different brands, I use a Vexilar. I can fish Blue without one, but I'll catch at least twice as many fish with one. As far as cooking them, the lighter meat fish end up as fish tacos. The red ones, lemon and dill in the oven, sometimes blackened. I'm going to try and smoke some soon.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I've only stood on ice once and that was hunting Canada geese. I'm sure I would eventually get over it but it kind of trips me out seeing some of the pictures.

I'm sure the guy that takes selfies with Mountain Lions shakes in his boots out there…

Looks like an awesome trip!
BradMtn346
ttha_aggie_09 said:

I've only stood on ice once and that was hunting Canada geese. I'm sure I would eventually get over it but it kind of trips me out seeing some of the pictures.

I'm sure the guy that takes selfies with Mountain Lions shakes in his boots out there…

Looks like an awesome trip!

When the ice is building, getting thicker, it cracks and makes a lot of noise. Never bothered me until
One foot moved and the other didn't.
SunrayAg
AG
Dang it, You're costing me money.

Now I need to do this!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.