Outdoors
Sponsored by

AR Suggestions for bulk purchase

3,012 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Smeghead4761
GrandStand93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've been seriously considering buying each of my grandkids an AR-15 - 7 in total. None of them are old enough yet, but I think it'd be neat and I'm keeping a weary eye on future regulations. I'm just looking for a simple entry to mid-level model - I figure they can upgrade the bells and whistles in the future if they'd like. I don't have a great sense of how much to spend yet, but I'd like to keep it reasonable.

I've got a few of my own - 1 Rock River that I really like and another S&W that's a nice ranch gun, but I'm not all that savvy on the market and what's a good value these days.

Would really appreciate some input.
OneMoonGoon92
AG
If you're in houston area....hittup Eyeguy at Texian Firearms. Hes a sponsor on this forum.
redaszag99
OneMoonGoon92 said:

If you're in houston area....hittup Eyeguy at Texian Firearms. Hes a sponsor on this forum.

Agreed
TX AG 88
AG
I bought 3 once for myself and 2 sons. The FFL (guy working out of his garage doing transfers and some smithing) would only deliver 2 to me at a time, so I had to go twice. More than 2 triggered some ATF action (he thought, at least). Just FWIW.

kyledr04
AG
If you're buying off the shelf, a Ruger would be fine choice for a fair price. Also, consulting eyeguy is what always a good idea.
AnScAggie
AG
Get them 7 Daniel Defense's. Just kidding (sorta) go see eye guy.
GrandStand93
TX AG 88 said:

I bought 3 once for myself and 2 sons. The FFL (guy working out of his garage doing transfers and some smithing) would only deliver 2 to me at a time, so I had to go twice. More than 2 triggered some ATF action (he thought, at least). Just FWIW.

Interesting. I wondered if there were issues like that.

Eyeguy - Too bad, I'm nowhere near Houston.
GrandStand93
AnScAggie said:

Get them 7 Daniel Defense's. Just kidding (sorta) go see eye guy.
Haha - I wish. That'd be a pretty big check to write.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Colt 614 would be a nice choice if transferable.

I did something similar when Colt 6720s were readily available. It's the pencil barrel version, doesn't have the grenade launcher barrel profile.

Colt quality has always been good and Colt label holds value.
GSS
The FFL has to report multiple (2+ ?) AR-type purchases, stripped lowers were not included, this was several years ago, and it was based on Texas being a border state. From the ATF site:

Sales of Rifles
In 2011, ATF was authorized to enforce multiple firearms sales for certain types of rifles from FFLs in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas.
FFLs in these states must report the following types of rifles:
  • Semiautomatic rifles
  • Rifles with a caliber greater than .22 (including .223 or 5.56 mm)
  • Rifles with the ability to accept detachable magazines

Bargains certainly still exist, Radical Firearms AR thru Kentucky Gun Co., $400
AR-15 $400
NRA Life
TSRA Life
TX AG 88
AG
the experience i described earlier was a purchase from Anvil Arms in FLA. based on your reply, i wanted to narrow down the time frame when my purchase happened. I remembered it was between 2009, when I moved to San Antonio, and before Anvil Arms went out of business.

Found this https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/17/former-anvil-arms-operator-arrested-on-felony-charges/

The FFL i used may have been exercising more caution than he needed, or it may have been in the short window of overlap in 2011. Thankfully, i got all my lowers...
aggiesundevil4
AG
Find a builder near enough to you - can't pass up the opportunity to do a Legacy build - they should be branded after you or them in some way. Even if it's just a small painted decal above the mag on the lower - number them 1-7 with their last name, add your nickname, something you all have in common. Make it more than just a weapon gift. You could even steal the title of 'the magnificent seven' from the old western series or something.
Aren’t we lucky?
GrandStand93
Great idea!
mhnatt
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
GrandStand, I would love to help on this. Not being local isn't a problem. And sundevil's idea is something that I absolutely can incorporate. I do ship and a run of seven identical rifles... I can get you a pretty good deal on.

My cell is 346-775-8363 and I can ship to you.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
And guys, thanks for the shout outs!
Aggieangler93
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

GrandStand, I would love to help on this. Not being local isn't a problem. And sundevil's idea is something that I absolutely can incorporate. I do ship and a run of seven identical rifles... I can get you a pretty good deal on.

My cell is 346-775-8363 and I can ship to you.

This is the way I would do it!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
Hobbes01
AG
Awesome idea Sundevil and well worth the extra money IMO. But if you go the Magnificent 7 route I would make dang sure your kids are all done making babies, else that could get awkward for #8!

Another idea that I would think would be especially meaningful is to buy all the parts now and sit on the kits. Then assemble each rifle with the help of each grandkid on their # birthday. Now they have the rifle and the memory of building it with Pops. Just a thought.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Birthday serial numbers? They may all be taken. Initials+birthday? Ssn?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Buy colt 6920s. Dont have to buy them all at once. Will hold value.

Or if you want to support a Texas company, SOLGW has some great options under $1k and I would trust their build quality 100%.
mhnatt
JeremiahJohnson
AG
PWS MK1 Pros would be great. About $500-700 less than DD and extremely reliable.
GrandStand93
EyeGuy - thanks for chiming in! I saved your number if you need to remove it. I'll try to give you a call during this work week.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
My phone number is in so many scammer databases right now, it's not even funny. But look forward to talking to you! Also, generally better to text me first so we can set up a time to talk. This may not be a quick conversation, haha.
SMM48
AG
Buy Colt. Bender is right. They will hold value easily.

highvelocity
AG
I can set you up with them if you want to buy them all in one place. I'm the director of sales for a manufacturer out of ft worth
Naveronski
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Buy colt 6920s. Dont have to buy them all at once. Will hold value.

Or if you want to support a Texas company, SOLGW has some great options under $1k and I would trust their build quality 100%.

Agree. Colt or SOLGW (or LMT, DD, etc) are so, so much better options than random unknown builds.
SMM48
AG
https://danieldefense.com/m4a1-riii.html

Post your credit card. I'll order 8.
Buck Turgidson
S&W M&P 15 Sport II is what a friend bought in bulk not long ago. Everything you need, nothing you don't.
Smeghead4761
aggiesundevil4 said:

Find a builder near enough to you - can't pass up the opportunity to do a Legacy build - they should be branded after you or them in some way. Even if it's just a small painted decal above the mag on the lower - number them 1-7 with their last name, add your nickname, something you all have in common. Make it more than just a weapon gift. You could even steal the title of 'the magnificent seven' from the old western series or something.
I twist on this idea would be to just buy the lower receivers this way. Give each grandkid the lower for a birthday, then let them pick out the rest of the components and assemble it with them.

I'm doing this, except without the custom s/n lowers, with my 4 boys. They get the lower on their 17th birthday, spend the next year picking out components, and we put it together so they have a complete rifle on their 18th.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.