Outdoors
Sponsored by

Question for OB: Non citizen purchasing a firearm

1,180 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
ChemEAg08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought I'd ask the people that know stuff, but I have a coworker from Canada who moved here with work and is interested in buying a firearm (pistol).

He has a visa with the move, has shot shotguns before and has expressed interest in pistols. From what I've been able to see online it seems like he may be able to purchase one, but anyone have any insights? I'll likely take him to the range for some shooting ahead of time, but it'll be nice to let him know do he can legally purchase one.
SMM48
AG
https://www.fbi.gov/file-repository/ffl-tip-sheet-for-non-u-s-citizens-purchasing-firearms.pdf/view
HalifaxAg
AG
I hope he plans on staying here forever. New legislation in Canada banned all handguns sales, transfers and bringing handguns into Canada.

F Trudeau....just for the record
JSKolache
AG
Can't. Visas are temporary entry. He would need to be LPR/green card to buy a pistol, with very few exceptions.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonimmigrant-alien-who-has-been-admitted-united-states-under-nonimmigrant-visa
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
That is not completely true. The visa holder just needs a hunting license.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
Belton Ag
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

That is not completely true. The visa holder just needs a hunting license.
Would that person then legally be able to purchase a handgun?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
There is a lot of "gray" to that. Do hunters take sidearms out into the field with them? I have taken a pig out with a 45acp pistol before.

The AR15 really started blurring the lines between defensive and hunting guns. I can justify quite a few handguns as hunting arms... so, yes, I am comfortable selling a handgun to someone with a hunting license. However, certain things just don't make sense and I won't do.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BrazosDog02
AG
Is he a good friend?

Maybe a private sale kind of thing. Maybe you like a certain pistol. And maybe it doesn't work for you. And maybe you want to sell it to someone else. And maybe he ends up not liking it and sells it back before he goes to Canada ?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.