Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Braunfels processor & taxidermist

1,759 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TacosaurusRex
Watchful Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for a quality euro mount and processor for a whitetail around the NB area. Any recommendations?
txags92
AG
It's not exactly NB, but Schotts down in Helotes does both processing and taxidermy. Granzins in NB does processing, but I quit using them and switched to Schotts because they were expensive for what seemed an inferior product IMO.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
I don't really love our taxidermist (switched to them from Granzins) but Double Nickel Taxidermy is awesome. Their showroom is so much fun to walk around and take in.

https://www.doublenickletaxidermy.com/
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
ATX_AG_08
AG
Double Nickel Taxidermy in NB does good work. I've had them do several euros.
dmperch
AG
Taxidermy is double nickel for sure. I've taken a couple deer to Rust and thought they turned out decent.

If you're doing a euro I think it's also fun to do yourself. I did my first one a couple years back and don't think I could justify paying someone to do it again
SanAntoneAg
AG
Double Nickel did my axis buck and gave him a pencil neck. Not impressed.

This was 7 years ago, hopefully they've improved.

OP if you're wanting a euro mount, the best ones are the ones you do yourself.
AgPT06
AG
I used Rust last year. They have a little shop next to them that can do a simple Euro probably. They did an ok job on the meat, but Im trying Koepp next round based on trying some friends sausage. Ive also been told he will do a Euro.
C1NRB
AG
dmperch said:

Taxidermy is double nickel for sure. I've taken a couple deer to Rust and thought they turned out decent.

If you're doing a euro I think it's also fun to do yourself. I did my first one a couple years back and don't think I could justify paying someone to do it again

My daughter works there!
AgTDub
AG
I usually go to Rust for processing and double nickel for taxidermy but I took my sons first deer to Koepp last year and they did a great job on the meat and the euro mount for a great price.

eta: they aren't the friendliest people though. At least the ones I interacted with. My neighbor takes stuff to them all the time and says the same thing.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

I don't really love our taxidermist (switched to them from Granzins) but Double Nickel Taxidermy is awesome. Their showroom is so much fun to walk around and take in.

https://www.doublenickletaxidermy.com/

I meant to say "don't really love our processor"
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Zheinsohn
AG
My go to is Authentic Trophies in La Vernia, David does great work.

milkman00
AG
Koepp Quality Processing
2941 Hunter Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78132
(830) 632-5484

These guys do a bunch of Processing for the church's Wild Game Dinner. Haven't used them myself yet but hope to this year.

If anyone has used them let us know your results and go to items.

Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Just don't take a fox to Double Nickel.
AnScAggie
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

Just don't take a fox to Double Nickel.

Jesus that's awful.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Yeah, but did he look like that before you shot him or just after? I think we all know what happened here.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We used Koepp for the first time this year since Penshorns in Marion quit processing and we're happy with them. Rust does okay but two different times they never called us to tell us our order was ready and both times when we called asking if it was ready they insisted they called and couldn't leave a message so that was annoying that they flat out lied.
Hoosegow
In my opinion, Rust is trash and expensive. I always butcher my own, but would take cuts to be processed into sausage to either Granzin's or Penshorn's. A little ways away but Dzuiks in Castroville makes amazing sausage in my opinion.

I've never shot anything I would pay to get mounted so I can't help you. However I have an employee who is a good taxidermist (no longer in the business) say that if he shot something that he had to have mounted, he'd take it to Double Nickle. He said just don't be in a hurry to get it back. It'll be a long time coming...
DriftwoodAg
AG
Hoosegow said:

In my opinion, Rust is trash and expensive. I always butcher my own, but would take cuts to be processed into sausage to either Granzin's or Penshorn's. A little ways away but Dzuiks in Castroville makes amazing sausage in my opinion.

I've never shot anything I would pay to get mounted so I can't help you. However I have an employee who is a good taxidermist (no longer in the business) say that if he shot something that he had to have mounted, he'd take it to Double Nickle. He said just don't be in a hurry to get it back. It'll be a long time coming...
I think I dropped mine off in January a few years ago and got it back in August of that year
AggieJames09
AG
Granzin meat market.

Any shop can do a euro. I do all mine on own
fido00
AG
This is funny. This year, I took some deer hams to Koepp for their bucksticks, and then took the rest to Rust for sausage and hamburger.

Rust is cheaper and as far as hamburger goes they vacuum seal everything and label it with the product and year. Koepp puts their hamburger in a chub, and Im not sure about their sausage (but the bucksticks were vacuum sealed).

The bucksticks are amazing and I will be killing another deer to get more made and to try their sausage.

Twelfthman99
AG
Since moving to NB I use Granzin's. You can also check out Eddie's Game Processing inside 1604 on Nacogdoches - pretty good sausage and they do taxidermy. I just don't like how they do their packaging. Wilson County Wild Game Processing in La Vernia does good work as well.

https://www.eddiesgameprocessing.net/index.html

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100057610202947
ccag02
AG
We like Koepp for ground meat, best around! I'm not as big of a fan of their sausage or buck sticks, I prefer rust for that.
TacosaurusRex
I'm using Central Texas Processing this year for the first time in New Berlin. I know others that have used him and were pleased, so I gave it a shot. I'm picking up my order today after I leave the lease and it only took 10 days to process the doe I dropped.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.