From TexAgs Sponsor, Destination Bryan:

Located on the north end of Historic Downtown Bryan, Ronin Farm & Restaurant is mostly known for their farm to table style of cuisine and ever-evolving menu.

While the food is a staple of the restaurant, my favorite aspect is their robust bar offerings. Ronin's masterfully curated 24-page cocktail and spirit menu features over 100 unique cocktails and an ever-growing list of spirits that has something for just about anyone.

Ronin also offers a wide array of events throughout the year including their Wednesday Beverage Classes which I have been dying to try out. Each class focuses on a different stand-alone topic, some of which in the past have included Prohibition cocktails, herbal infusions, and Texas wines. As a previous bartender of over six years and someone who's always looking to expand my bar knowledge, I knew I had to give this event a try…

Pictured: Ronin Farm and Restaurant

I had the pleasure of attending their most recent class which was focused on Bourbon & Whiskey, my usual drink of choice. The class, led by their Bar Operations Manager, was hosted in the back of their restaurant in a private dining room and provided a great setting for a date night or a casual get-together with friends or family.

The event featured five different tastings that included a mix of both bourbon and whiskey. Some of these included, EH Taylor "Bottled in Bond" Small Batch, Horse Soldier Reserve "Barrel Strength", and Ronin's very own pecan-infused bourbon.

One aspect that I found particularly fun was the ability to create my very own tasting experiences using the ingredients that Ronin had provided. Some of these ingredients included fresh mint, lemon, honey simple syrup, pecan simple syrup, and of course, ice and a water dropper. By using the ingredients, you could craft a few cocktails such as a Whiskey Smash, or Ronin's very own pecan Old-Fashioned in case you're not someone who enjoys sipping straight bourbon the entire time.

Ronin Farm and Restaurant

Overall, the class was a ton of fun and a great way to catch up on my bourbon and whiskey knowledge. Ronin usually offers 6-8 classes a season (all unique topics) and I highly recommend attending one of these classes.

Their upcoming class is focused on Holiday Cocktails so if you're someone like myself who likes bringing a cocktail home for the holidays, this class is for you!

Christopher Ortegon '21
Special Events Coordinator, Destination Bryan