Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dodges a bullet last night…

4,286 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by cupofjoe04
Rexter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Told the wife I bought another safe because "we" need the room. Picked up a nice used 48 gun for $275. She pondered for a minute, and then asked how much money I have tied up in firearms. She said "what…3-4-5 thousand?" I got the deer in the headlights look and told her I'd have to look at my records and add it up, and that she should just sit over there and look pretty and not worry about it.

Later, she said she asked so if something happened to me, she would know a rough value so nobody could get over on her if she needed to liquidate. I gave her a couple of names of friends that would sell off everything.

Makes me wonder what she's planning for me…
agsalaska
AG
Quote:

and that she should just sit over there and look pretty and not worry about it.
Did that really work?
malenurse
AG
During Harvey, wife and I were cleaning the spare bedroom in anticipation of hosting my son's inlaws.

This was the room I had been using for storage. For the first time, my wife saw all of my guns in the same place at the same time.

It became very awkward.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
AV8ORAG84
AG
"3/4/5 thousand " , well for that one ……. Yes ! Lol
aftershock
malenurse said:

During Harvey, wife and I were cleaning the spare bedroom in anticipation of hosting my son's inlaws.

This was the room I had been using for storage. For the first time, my wife saw all of my guns in the same place at the same time.

It became very awkward.

3 Toed Pete
AG
OP.....order a wood chipper.

You don't even need to take it out of the box. Just make sure she sees it and knows it's there.
agfan2013
AG
We were looking through home insurance for the first time as the wife and I bought our first house, and I noticed that most of the basic coverages only go up to 4-5 grand for firearms. I told the wife we needed "significantly more than that" but I was unable to be at the meeting with the insurance broker we were going through so I had to put together a spreadsheet to add it all up and tell them over the phone, I had a general idea but didnt know specifically myself until then. Wife was cool with it, but the funnier part was when she told the agent, the lady says "oh lord, you married a country boy with all his guns huh?" (I'm totally not, but did get a little ego boost from that one, haha).
LRHF
AG
3 Toed Pete said:

OP.....order a wood chipper.

You don't even need to take it out of the box. Just make sure she sees it and knows it's there.

Bad idea, pretty sure she would ask for instructions for how to use it! Praying for the OP!
Rexter
agsalaska said:

Quote:

Did that really work?

I use it so seldom that when I do, she enjoys the compliment.

A few years ago, she asked me how much I had in mods to my motorcycle (engine work, etc). I stopped at $5,000 just to keep the peace.
OnlyForNow
AG
Damnit, I need to find a used 48 gun safe for <$300.
OnlyForNow
AG
Additional riders, if applicable are the way to go.
aggiedent
AG
"……. , and that she should just sit over there and look pretty and not worry about it. "

Credibility Score: 0.0000000000000
jmazz
AG

zooguy96
Ask her how much her shoes, purses, clothing, jewelry, Christmas ornaments, trips with her family, etc cost.

Then, buy a bigger safe, more guns, more accessories, etc.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
highvelocity
AG
the reaction i got from my future mrs. when i told her a couple years ago was a big HA and an eyeroll. tis why she got a ring as compared to previous ladies i dated that *****ed about my hobby
carl spacklers hat
agsalaska said:

Quote:

Did that really work?
"What are things that never happened?" for $500, Alex.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Beckdiesel03
AG
I understand wanting to know from a wife's perspective what is there and the worth with only slightly thinking about collecting on life insurance and guns. JK. But in all seriousness, I've asked for a catalogue of inventory not only for insurance reasons but we have two sons and I need to know which gun goes to who and what something is worth if they don't want it because I don't have a clue. I also see it as something that doesn't go down in value which helps me ignore the idea of how much has been spent .
The Shank Ag
Had a buddy growing up who came from a family with a legit arsenal.

They had a bookcase in the living room that was a false door. You removed two of the encyclopedia, typed in a code, and walked into a room that was easily 1/2 the size of the regular living room with guns hung on the walls, on stands, handguns on a makeshift spicerack looking thing, and an entire bookcase (which always made me laugh, a bookcase in a room hidden by a bookcase) full of ammunition.

It had to be 250+ different guns, some of which were collectors pieces that were really old.

Nothing really to add to the post, just a room full of guns that always stood out to me.
cupofjoe04
AG
Man, some of y'all live with too much drama, ha ha!

One bank account really simplifies my life. We both know exactly what everything is and costs, and there are absolutely no surprises. We always bounce ideas, dreams, and desires off of one another- that way when associated purchase decisions come up we can approach those together too. 99% of the time, she says "Get it! You deserve it!" and I then him-and-haw about it instead of spending any money. She does the same thing.

Edit to add- To be fair, my toys and guns probably add up to significantly less than the vast majority of y'all. But we are (have to be) fairly intentional with every dollar.
Aggietaco
AG
jmazz said:

Santa did leave me a new can a few years ago. Just happened to have a form 4 clear right before Christmas.
OnlyForNow
AG
This
RK
AG
cupofjoe04 said:

One bank account really simplifies my life. We both know exactly what everything is and costs, and there are absolutely no surprises. We always bounce ideas, dreams, and desires off of one another- that way when associated purchase decisions come up we can approach those together too. 99% of the time, she says "Get it! You deserve it!" and I then him-and-haw about it instead of spending any money. She does the same thing.

Edit to add- To be fair, my toys and guns probably add up to significantly less than the vast majority of y'all. But we are (have to be) fairly intentional with every dollar.

This is great advice. The only thing I would add is to have another account that only you know about. Then buy all your cool sh*t with that.

Beckdiesel03
AG
We have shared accounts and are very open about money bc we are lol texags poor. However when he comes across gun deals we go for it and like I told him we have 2 sons so it needs to be even. Now don't get me started on taxidermy on his cash tips from side work, but he doesn't say crap when the subs show up to the house to do the projects on my to do list.
Animal Eight 84
AG
Few years ago I sold a transferable H&K MP5 S-D and also a MP5K.
I signed paper & dropped off the guns at the FFL SOT doing the transfer - he was holding the guns until ATF approved buyer's transfer.

Buyer was bringing cash to the gun store and was leaving it with the FFL.

For fun I had my wife go pick up the money, told her I sold two. I had to work & couldn't go.

She had no idea how much, just was getting money for two guns.
She still talks about it.
SMM48
AG
Ha. Now do night vision.
jtp01
AG
Last week I was at the Amarillo Farm and Ranch trade show for work and we were next to a group selling suppressors.

I got home from the show and in conversation remarked about how busy their booth was, we had a lot of fun cutting up with those guys and others around us. My wife's response was "how many did you order". I said "none" she quipped back "why not".

We've talked about me wanting a suppressor or two but I've not pulled the trigger for other reasons (mainly getting a pickup bought for my soon to be 15 year old).

My wife is awesome, she enjoys shooting and carries her personal protective equipment with her all day every day.
Smeghead4761
That reminds me...I need to finish compiling that inventory I've been working on. Need to update for the ones I lost in that tragic boating accidnet.
NETAG
One of the unexpected benefits of having my two sons is being able to say "i'm going to get the boys a ........".
Even if its one they will have to "grow into".
oklaunion
My spouse told me decades ago I could collect whatever I wanted. Except women.
EskimoJoe
malenurse said:

It became very awkward.

I had something very similar happen earlier this year.

We built our house last year and moved a bunch of stuff into the basement storeroom once it was far enough along as we were selling our old house. After we moved in the house, the last thing in the storeroom was the safe, and so we needed to do was move it to the opposite wall. I emptied it all and leaned all the guns up against the wall. The wife walked in and saw them and started asking questions. Things got awkward.

I don't say too much about her shoes and purses, she doesn't say too much about my guns and toy tractors.
AgEng06
AG
Animal Eight 84 said:

Few years ago I sold a transferable H&K MP5 S-D and also a MP5K.
I signed paper & dropped off the guns at the FFL SOT doing the transfer - he was holding the guns until ATF approved buyer's transfer.

Buyer was bringing cash to the gun store and was leaving it with the FFL.

For fun I had my wife go pick up the money, told her I sold two. I had to work & couldn't go.

She had no idea how much, just was getting money for two guns.
She still talks about it.

How much lighter was the stack by the time she got it home to you?
BrazosDog02
AG
RK said:

cupofjoe04 said:

This is great advice. The only thing I would add is to have another account that only you know about. Then buy all your cool sh*t with that.

If you need a separate bank account so you buy guns without getting trouble with the wife, you're either really really bad with money or really really bad with relationships.
FIDO 96
AG
My greatest fear in life, is when I die, my wife sells all my firearms for what I told her I paid for them.
cupofjoe04
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

If you need a separate bank account so you buy guns without getting trouble with the wife, you're either really really bad with money or really really bad with relationships.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.