Outdoors
Sponsored by

Guided Fishing Trip Help

1,107 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by TdoubleH
AgCMT
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking to take my nephew, whom we've raised for the past 5 years, on a guided fishing trip for his graduation this year. I would prefer an overnight off-shore trip, but I'm open to ideas.

We live in the DFW area and I would prefer to drive to the location. I'm trying to spend more on the fishing and less on the travel. I'll save the Alaska trip if/when he graduates college.

Any recommendations?
Stat Monitor Repairman
I'd look at Venice, LA
FirefightAg
AG
You can do good overnights off the texas coast. Venice would be a long drive
smstork1007
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I'd look at Venice, LA
It's an 8+ hour drive from DFW to Venice, but i gotta agree, it's hard if not impossible to beat on the Gulf Coast, maybe anywhere. Also could possibly get cheap airfare into New Orleans and then it's an easy Uber or car rental down to Venice. Good luck and happy to see this kind of gift for a big moment for the kid.
FatZilla
AG
AgCMT said:

I'm looking to take my nephew, whom we've raised for the past 5 years, on a guided fishing trip for his graduation this year. I would prefer an overnight off-shore trip, but I'm open to ideas.

We live in the DFW area and I would prefer to drive to the location. I'm trying to spend more on the fishing and less on the travel. I'll save the Alaska trip if/when he graduates college.

Any recommendations?

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3230605

I put updates and recommendations throughout the thread so i recommend reading through it all.
Maximus Johnson
AG
Are you looking for a wahoo, swordfish, tuna trip? Or are you looking for a meat haul snapper trip?

Regardless of what you are looking for https://fishinggalvestontx.com will hook you up
trip98
AG
have you and nephew ever been offshore? know how you might do with sea sickness?

if you don't know how one of you will do going for an overnight trip might be very costly for a miserable time. Just something to consider if you haven't already.
Goodest Poster
AG
The Verms at galvestonfishingtx rock, and are my go to guys for entertaining clients.

If Scott is still running trips at Circle H, he can fish.

Just booked 2 day tuna trip with Ms.Anne:
https://johnstonssportfishing.com/

She fishes out of a 54 Hatteras which is great for people that think they are die hard fisherman, but find out they really arent.

Several guys outta Venice...pick one. Fishing is easy, Pahdnah's is who some of our plant guys use. Never booked him personally.
Always the most goodest
AgCMT
AG
Thanks for the responses. Yes, I have been offshore many times. Grew up with a 36' walk around cuddy cabin in the Galveston area. My nephew has not, so that's a solid point. Ear patches will probably do the trick.

I was looking at an overnight because I wanted to get into some bill fish or tuna. Honestly, just wanting to do something a little more adventurous than dropping a line and pulling up snapper, and then troll for a couple of king fish...although if I we snagged some ling fish I wouldn't be disappointed.

If this were a trip for me, I would prefer to go wade fishing for red's around Port Mansfield. My nephew has never had the opportunity to go offshore, so that's where I was leaning. He spent most of his life at the Boys Ranch in Amarillo until he asked to live with us 4-5 years ago. Good kid, just dealt a crappy hand on the parents department.

I haven't lived on the Gulf Coast for over a decade so I don't have any of my connections with guides any longer. Most of the one's I knew have moved on.

I did look at the link for the overnight party boat. I have had some awful experiences on party boats in the past, but have never done an overnight. About 30 years ago we went out on one and they had us packed so tight that everyone's lines were tangled the whole time. Also, I don't want to have to bring my own gear. I only have one good offshore rig and a about 10 bay rigs. However; The overnight boat that you went on looks a little less crowded so it's not out of the question.

Also, the 8 hour drive is not a big deal either. I don't mind leaving out of Louisiana.

Thanks again for everyone's responses.
TRIDENT
AG
https://www.mgfishing.com/

I've fished the Gulf quite a bit over the last two decades. Hard to beat Venice. Check out Mexican Gulf.
FatZilla
AG
Even a cheaper rig picked up from a pawn shop for him would probably beat boat rigs. If you go for tuna, definitely get him on a reel with high speed gears for a much better success rate on tuna. It will require a whole lot less effort on his part to get his jig up to speed. As an adult myself it was a challenge to constantly reel as fast as possible on the boat reel without a high speed mode. Also, definitely get him a fighting belt with a rear hold point so he can fight a lot easier and allow an adult to help him manage the pressure on the belt.
TdoubleH
AG
I vote Venice, LA. Stay at Woodland Plantation. Fly fisher spot but I bet Foster can hook you up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.