Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tree ID?

1,219 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by citizenkane06
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Im running out of undesirables to hinge cut and I don't cut anything I can't ID. These are growing in wet soil. Closest trees growing nearby are river birch. Also hackberry, cedar elm, hickory, and water oak in the area. Located near Navasota. Thanks!

Apache
AG
Bark and overall habit looks like Green Ash (Fraxinus pennsylvanica) to me, we had quite a bit of that in our old riverbottom land.

Did you happen to notice if it had compound leaves?
rather be fishing
AG
Bark looks like ash
mandevilleag
Ash branches opposite. I don't think it's ash. Perhaps black gum. They love flooded/swampy areas too. Did it have a lot of black berries last month?
SquanchyAg
PictureThis seems to think it is a White Ash
OnlyForNow
AG
I'd say ash.

What's with the stuff high up in the branches? Groups of leaves or twig growth?
cupofjoe04
AG
Yep, that's a tree. You got it!
AggiePetro07
AG
Ash
oklaunion
Our black tupelos look like that. Are there bright red leaves on the ground around it?
CS78
Going to go with ash. Hadnt thought of that. I always think of big fat neighborhood trees like whats been planted all over southwood valley when I think of ash but I guess these grew up fighting for space. Ill whack a portion of them in a couple months and keep the biggest/ best ones long term in case I ever wanted the wood.

I think I have some black gum too but theyre smaller and still have their leaves.

Thanks for the help!
CS78
oklaunion said:

Our black tupelos look like that. Are there bright red leaves on the ground around it?
Ground is covered in in a ton of different leaves but I didnt notice any bright red ones.
tree91
AG
It would appreciate your cutting the grapevine off of it.
citizenkane06
AG
Username checks out
citizenkane06
AG
Probably green ash as white ash generally doesn't like soils with prolonged saturation.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.