Outdoors
Sponsored by

Orthopedic surgeon for rotator cuff surgery.

2,178 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by winmck
Dogdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it's not outdoors, but y'all know stuff.

My wife has a torn rotator cuff. Finally got seen by our local Dr.'s office and is having a hard time getting referred. She did get a call from a podiatrists office today which kind of set her off.

We do not need a referral for our insurance, but our local clinic has been bought by Advent Health and they are trying to force her to stay in their corporate network... hence the podiatrist call I guess.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good orthopod in Central Texas? I would send her to Dr. Boogs if I could.
cupofjoe04
AG
Just buy 2 cases of beer and send her to Boogs & Agrams. Between the 2 of them, they can either get her patched up or a beautiful prosthetic fit.
chickencoupe16
AG
Not sure of your definition of Central Texas, but Central Texas Sports Medicine in College Station did my ACL/meniscus, all of my physical therapy, and took a look at my labrum. I couldn't be happier with the whole process and everyone involved. Dr. Rowland is who has worked on in me but I've heard great things about the others too.

Not sure if is BCS is close enough to you.
BurnetAggie99
Dr. Edward Seade in Austin is one of the best Shoulder doctors out there. He did my last surgery which was torn bicep, torn SLAP, & rotator cuff.

https://www.orthoaustin.com/?utm_source=GMBSocialClimb&utm_medium=EdwardSeadeMD
jmm
Seade did mine also. Good guy.
texasaggie2015
AG
He's in Houston, but Dr. T. Bradley Edwards did mine and he was fantastic.

Thomas B Edwards MD, Orthopaedic Surgery | Texas Orthopedic Hospital
hurricanejake02
AG
Another Houston rec, Dr. Steven Flores did mine (as well as many of the Texans and Rockets)

https://www.drstevenflores.com/
ABATTBQ87
AG
https://www.healthgrades.com/physician/dr-joshua-crum-y98fn

He fixed my shoulder issues
HumpitPuryear
AG
Another +1 for Dr Seade in Austin. All he does is shoulders and he does lots of them.
JFABNRGR
AG
Dr. Graham in Austin one of the best. I will be under his knife in 4 weeks for same, he has already fixed my wife and about 4 others at her BJJ gym.

https://healthcare.ascension.org/doctors/1215935820/robert-duane-graham-ii-austin-tx
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
maddiedou
AG
I dont know how to look up threads but there is one on surgery and healing. I believe Male Nurse started it
MarkPro
JP Bramhall. Central Texas Orthopedics.
ComeAndTakeIt
Douglas Elenz of Austin Sports Medicine did my shoulder surgery. He's the team doctor for the horns.

I would also recommend the Male Nurse post for good post operation advice.
pablof
Dr. Carolyn Hyde, All Star Orthopedics in Austin did both of mine, 6 months apart. Excellent work and recovery was seamless.

https://www.allstarorthopedic.com/
Ribbed Paultz
Dogdoc said:

I know it's not outdoors, but y'all know stuff.

My wife has a torn rotator cuff. Finally got seen by our local Dr.'s office and is having a hard time getting referred. She did get a call from a podiatrists office today which kind of set her off.

We do not need a referral for our insurance, but our local clinic has been bought by Advent Health and they are trying to force her to stay in their corporate network... hence the podiatrist call I guess.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good orthopod in Central Texas? I would send her to Dr. Boogs if I could.

I would run far away from your PCP if they're sending you to a non-MD foot doctor for a shoulder problem just so they can make more money off you.
Throwout
AG
JFABNRGR said:

Dr. Graham in Austin one of the best. I will be under his knife in 4 weeks for same, he has already fixed my wife and about 4 others at her BJJ gym.

https://healthcare.ascension.org/doctors/1215935820/robert-duane-graham-ii-austin-tx

I second Dr. Graham. He fixed my torn rotator cuff and labrum.
aggiederelict
I would see either Graham or Hyde. I have treated their patients over the years. They get the best results.
Trout
Alton Barron.
I heard him on Peter Attia podcast.
You can easily find it. Worth a listen.
91AggieLawyer
AG
What are the symptoms of a torn rotator cuff?
jim 78
AG
Dr Stephen Burkhart was the absolute best in the state. He started TSAOG in San Antonio but he retired about a year ago. He graduated with a degree in Mechanical Engineering from Rice before becoming a physician. He developed many of the instruments used for shoulder surgery. He taught many physicians. I'm sure any of the orthopedic surgeons still there are superb. I had my left and right shoulders repaired and had full motion in a few weeks. He was remarkable!
Bonecrusher92
AG
There's only one real answer to your question…me, but I'm in Sugar Land. Message me. I'd be happy to talk over the phone and help you find the right person near you.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Maroon Boomslang
AG
Dr. Colten Luedke who is with Bramhall's office did mine on 7/18/2022. Did a fabulous job on my right shoulder (3 large tears and torn bicep, worst shoulder he's ever seen). I'm back to working out, golfing,and fly fishing.
Hullabaque
AG
Dr. Peter Holmes in San Antonio. My wife fell and tore her rotator cuff. He fixed it and she's been good ever since. We have had a number of other members of our church use him for orthopedic related issues (he was formerly a member).

Dogdoc
AG
Thanks everyone. We have a lot to consider.

Turns out that the podiatrist shares an office with the orthopedic surgeon. That was a source of confusion and frustration. I'm not really impressed with the surgeon they are trying to refer her to. Only positive is he is local.

Thanks again. This has been frustrating.
winmck
S
Bonecrusher92 said:

There's only one real answer to your question…me, but I'm in Sugar Land. Message me. I'd be happy to talk over the phone and help you find the right person near you.

Dr Shah did my rotator about 5 years ago. Arthritis is terrible now so I saw Dr Rivers last week thinking replacement. He didn't want to do it because of my age (55) so he referred me back to Shah for a platelet rich plasma injection. Any thoughts on the injections?
Bonecrusher92
AG
Platelet rich plasma (PRP) while considered experimental by the FDA has shown good results in studies and no doubt will be approved at some point. Basically, takes advantage of your own cells (stem and otherwise)/growth factors to "heal" damaged tissue. However, it does not regrow cartilage and reverse the process just a nonsurgical option for improvement. Haven't had it personally but know of quite a few with very good response.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
winmck
S
Thanks!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.