Outdoors
Sponsored by

Norman Borlaug (worked outdoors)

2,702 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by tmaggies
MasonB
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Alex did his project on Norman Borlaug...learned a lot about a great man and got the chance to "whoop!"

O.G.
There is a statue of him in the US Capital Rotunda, a gift from the State of Iowa.

909Ag2006
AG
I am not sure, but I have a vague recollection of him speaking to one of my classes at A&M. This would've been in about 2004. But, I was too stupid to even appreciate who was speaking to us.
"They weren't raiding a Girl Scout troop looking for overdue library books."
WaldoWings
He was walking to the ceremony when I graduated. I saw him and ran up to him and shook his hand. I figured I would never get the opportunity to shake a Nobel prize winner's hand again. Great man!
rather be fishing
AG
909Ag2006 said:

I am not sure, but I have a vague recollection of him speaking to one of my classes at A&M. This would've been in about 2004. But, I was too stupid to even appreciate who was speaking to us.

Probably. He was on staff back then.
WestTexAG
AG
I'm proud to say he gave he gave the commencement address at my graduation. Dude helped so many people all over the planet!
TX AG 88
tmaggies
AG
O.G. said:

There is a statue of him in the US Capital Rotunda, a gift from the State of Iowa.

And wearing an Aggie ring!

Aggieangler93
AG
Thanks Alex for teaching me!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
highlonesomeaggie
AG
My oldest son was accepted to the Norman Borlaug 4-H program. At their first weekend conference, he said he got to hold the Nobel Prize. Said that was really cool.
Jbob04
AG
909Ag2006 said:

Same here. I think around 2003 for me in an AGEC class.
DargelSkout
AG
Same, he spoke in one of my soil science classes. What a great person. He's probably responsible for saving millions of lives with his work.
SunrayAg
AG
He used to have an office on the second floor of the bug and dirt building (dirt side). Stayed there half a year, then at CIMMYT in Mexico the other half.

Had the opportunity to visit with him many times. Very quiet, unassuming, great guy.

I used to sneak into his empty office to do my homework when he was out of the country. It didn't help me get smarter...
SunrayAg
AG
DargelSkout said:

Same, he spoke in one of my soil science classes. What a great person. He's probably responsible for saving millions of lives with his work.
Billions.
axan77
AG
Great job Alex!
phorizt
909Ag2006 said:

I may have been in that class. I remember him speaking in my World Geography class around that time period.
O.G.
tmaggies said:

O.G. said:

Yep. Its a technicality and doesn't really "count" but his Aggie ring means that Texas has 3 statues in the Capital.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
West Campus should have a statue of him.
AG81
AG
tmaggies said:

O.G. said:

Sorry to burst bubbles but that's not an Aggie Ring. It's a University of Minnesota ring, from which he earned all his degrees. He did love A&M though.
Micropterus
AG
I've never heard my home away from home for 5 years (i worked there) referred to as the bug and dirt building. The north side was where us good ol boys hung out, 3rd floor. Bug ppl, just weird.

I do remember seeing Dr Borlaug in the hallways occasionally. Never thought to stop and visit with him. Wish i would have. Spent alot of time in the building that carries his name (when it was the CBC) doing some tedious research myself.
SunrayAg
AG
Micropterus said:

I've never heard my home away from home for 5 years (i worked there) referred to as the bug and dirt building. The north side was where us good ol boys hung out, 3rd floor. Bug ppl, just weird.

I do remember seeing Dr Borlaug in the hallways occasionally. Never thought to stop and visit with him. Wish i would have. Spent alot of time in the building that carries his name (when it was the CBC) doing some tedious research myself.
In my 5 years on campus as an Agronomy major, I don't think I ever heard it referred to as the Heep Center. It was always "bug and dirt".
DargelSkout
AG
Interesting, I majored in agronomy as well and never heard it referred to as bug and dirt building (until this thread).
B-1 83
AG
SunrayAg said:

Micropterus said:

In my 5 years on campus as an Agronomy major, I don't think I ever heard it referred to as the Heep Center. It was always "bug and dirt".
Blasphemer!!!!!!!!!
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
ftworthag02
AG
That's a 4 letter word
DargelSkout
AG
ftworthag02 said:

That's a 4 letter word

The great Murray Milford.
ftworthag02
AG
Yes sir! Knew everyone's name
[url] https://soilcrop.tamu.edu/in-memory-murray-milford/[/url]
Animal Eight 84
AG
" dirt is what you sweep up off the shop floor".
Per Dr. M M, 1981.
WaldoWings
DargelSkout said:

ftworthag02 said:

That's a 4 letter word

The great Murray Milford.

Y'all beat me to it!!! 4 letter words are not allowed when speaking of the man with the mystery hour!
tmaggies
AG
AG81 said:

tmaggies said:

O.G. said:

Sorry to burst bubbles but that's not an Aggie Ring. It's a University of Minnesota ring, from which he earned all his degrees. He did love A&M though.
. I believe you are correct I guess that congressional tour guide was blowing smoke.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.