Outdoors
Sponsored by

Great Pyrenees Pups in Need of a Loving Home

2,853 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by panhandlefarmer
aggieclimber
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is Roscoe and Sadie. They are bonded brother/sister Great Pyrenees mix pups. We found them abandoned and bewildered in the middle of the road a couple months ago.

I am hoping the Aggie Network might help me find a good home for these two sweethearts. Since we've had them they've successfully stayed with dog sitters for multiple nights, twice. Their shots are current and they have both been spayed/neutered. They are crate trained and housetrained. Our vet estimates their age to be approximately 6 months.

We took them in to give them a chance of survival and they have thrived. However, our intention was always to re-home them and it is becoming increasingly difficult for us to continue their care. This is due to no fault of their own. They are both sweet, cuddly couch potatoes who like to play and be apart of whatever the day offers. They also get along well with our adult Aussie.

Please contact me if you would be willing to give Roscoe and Sadie a loving home together. Will upload more images of them doing something more than napping tomorrow( it's late, )
713-202-2437

cupofjoe04
AG
I hear there is a guy in Georgia who might be in the market for a new Pyrenees...
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3347114

In all seriousness, good luck with the re-home
HoldMyBeer
AG
Great looking pups. Thanks for being someone that cares enough to help them find their home.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Good stuff! Hope they can stay together!
T-Woody2014
AG
I've got a GP named Sadie we adopted at 6 months old. Best dog I've ever had - best of luck finding a home for these two pups!
EskimoJoe
Rough estimate on how many coyotes they can eat?
ttha_aggie_09
aggieclimber
AG
EskimoJoe said:

Rough estimate on how many coyotes they can eat?
According to the Outdoor Thread....all of them.
K_P
AG
Not really familiar with the breed, and it's probably too soon for us to get a new dog. But I am curious. How does their temperament compare to a golden retriever or lab?
chickiepoo
AG
I commented on this thread on the Aggieland forum but just to give my 2 cents….. Our GP mix (mixed with Mastiff and some other large breeds) is 15 months old and well north of 100 pounds. He does a great job holding down our bed during the day and is perfectly content with his morning and evening walks. He has a great personality and even though he is large and has a loud (and intimidating bark), he is really a gentle giant. We have learned that GP can be somewhat aloof and they are very independent. Other than being a bed hog, he is a great dog!
BenderRodriguez
AG
K_P said:

Not really familiar with the breed,

I have two Pyr mixes as family pets with no livestock. It is not what they were bred for.

They were bred to work independently from humans while staying with a flock and guarding them from dangers. You can find multiple stories of Pyrenees doing amazing things like the one who kept all his sheep together and safe from the Cali wildfires, the one in the story going around right now about fighting coyotes, etc. Because they are smart and independent, they can be difficult to train.

They are also large dogs, who shed a lot and bark a lot, especially at night. If you don't live on decent acreage and don't want your neighbors to hate you, plan on them being indoor dogs at night. There is no cure or fix for the barking. They were bred to protect livestock from predators, and barking at strange noises (or sometimes butterfly farts) is just part of the package.

They are deceptively high energy. They lay around all day (mostly). But if you don't get them some exercise and get them out on a walk to "patrol" their neighborhood, they will go stir crazy and cause trouble quick.

That being said, my two have adopted my boys as their "flock". They do not let them out of their sight in the yard, have been subjected to the usual amount of little boy behavior without an ounce of aggression, and my male dog literally laid on broken glass to keep my toddler from stepping on it when my wife dropped a glass bowl and he came running to see what the noise was. Wouldn't trade them for anything.
aggieclimber
AG
When I first saw Roscoe and Sadie I thought that they had some lab in them. After more time the GP crept to the forefront. The vet validated that as well. I've had labs before. These two are playful and friendly like a lab (I don't think Labradors hold the corner on that market). They are absolute cuddle bugs. Roscoe has done his best to apply for the family position of Bed Down Holder. We really have to watch him or he's in the bed in two shakes.
Ag_of_08
AG
Wish I had the room, the kindest and gentlest dog we ever owned was the dumped Pyrenees we found out at the paintball field in Iola one year. She was a mountain of fur and love, and unfortunately left us far to soon.
panhandlefarmer
AG
Those don't look like Great Pyrenees to me. If they are, I would get them to someone with a job for them that has experience bonding dogs to livestock. They are not good family pets because of the aforementioned independence and need to work. They will roam if they don't have a job. They are not for small spaces.
smstork1007
AG
Can't say whether they are or are not Pyrenees, but what you are saying about them not being good family pets is way out of whack in my experience. Best of luck to the OP and hopefully someone reading this and looking for a dog doesn't take panhandlefarmer as the gospel on this breed of dog. Do your own research, talk to breeders, and read about them, they are great dogs.
panhandlefarmer
AG
smstork1007 said:

Can't say whether they are or are not Pyrenees, but what you are saying about them not being good family pets is way out of whack in my experience. Best of luck to the OP and hopefully someone reading this and looking for a dog doesn't take panhandlefarmer as the gospel on this breed of dog. Do your own research, talk to breeders, and read about them, they are great dogs.

They are great dogs and they were bred for a purpose. It wasn't sitting around in a backyard. If you want to be showing up on you local "lost and found dogs" Facebook page frequently, get a LGD breed.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.