Outdoors
Sponsored by

Texas CWD Confirmed High Fence Release Site Kaufman County, To Date 420 Cases Confirm

12,226 Views | 163 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggie1205
California Ag 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
worth reading from Confident Ag's podcast link...

wonder if any A&M Ag or Veterinary research underway on this.

https://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/content/articles/deer-news/bacteria-and-cwd-cure-dr-bastian-speaks
We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
txags92
AG
TPWD and TAHC held a CWD symposium on the 6th. I was unable to listen in because I was travelling, but TPWD is working on getting the recordings from it posted to their CWD page so everybody can watch/listen. I will post a link here when it gets posted. But I wonder if it might be time to get a master CWD thread started that can be a one-stop shop for information about it?
OnlyForNow
AG
Out of everyone here...

How many people have taken a deer carcass into a processor, with spine intact and in the animal, AND gotten "whole" bone cuts back - where they would cut the spine with a saw?

With the way I and my dad process our deer, we field dress - skin - tenderloins - backstrap - quarter - into cooler. Chop off head with axe, limb loppers, or hand saw. Anyone do it significantly differently?

Let's say that the shot was good into vitals, and spinal cord wasn't damaged neither was brain. Is there even a potential for CWD to get onto/into the meat at that point - as long as cleaning also doesn't damage either of those two? My understanding is that it's normally (always?) associated with brain and spinal fluid?
AnScAggie
AG
Lymph nodes/lymph system too.
schmellba99
AG
It isn't common, but french cutting the ribs is becoming more and more popular these days. Can't remember if that leaves part of the spine in or not though.

Generally speaking, nervous system material isn't going to be a huge part of any final product. But according to the link on the Minnesota study, the prions were detected in the meat tissue as well.
flounder9
In mice, prion infectivity was recently detected in fat. Since ruminant fat is consumed by humans and fed to animals, we determined infectivity titers in fat from two CWD-infected deer. Deer fat devoid of muscle contained low levels of CWD infectivity and might be a risk factor for prion infection of other species.

http://jvi.asm.org/content/83/18/9608.full

Prions in Skeletal Muscles of Deer with Chronic Wasting Disease

Here bioassays in transgenic mice expressing cervid prion protein revealed the presence of infectious prions in skeletal muscles of CWD-infected deer, demonstrating that humans consuming or handling meat from CWD-infected deer are at risk to prion exposure.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/311/5764/1117..long

ARS RESEARCH Generation of human chronic wasting disease in transgenic mice

Publication Acceptance Date: 9/8/2021

Research Project: Pathobiology, Genetics, and Detection of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies Location: Virus and Prion Research

Title: Generation of human chronic wasting disease in transgenic mice

Author item WANG, ZERUI - Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) item QIN, KEFENG - University Of Chicago item CAMACHO, MANUEL - Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) item SHEN, PINGPING - Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) item YUAN, JUE - Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) item Greenlee, Justin item CUI, LI - Jilin University item KONG, QINGZHONG - Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) item MASTRIANNI, JAMES - University Of Chicago item ZOU, WEN-QUAN - Case Western Reserve University (CWRU)

Submitted to: Acta Neuropathologica Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal Publication Acceptance Date: 9/8/2021 Publication Date: N/A Citation: N/A

Interpretive Summary: Prion diseases are invariably fatal neurologic diseases for which there is no known prevention or cure. Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is the prion disease of deer and elk and is present in farmed and free ranging herds throughout North America. To date there is no clear evidence that the CWD agent could be transmitted to humans. This manuscript describes the use of an in vitro technique, cell-free serial protein misfolding cyclic amplification (sPMCA), to generate a CWD prion that is infectious to transgenic mice expressing the human prion protein. This study provides the first evidence that CWD prions may be able to cause misfolding in the human prion protein. This information will impact medical experts and those involved in making policy for farmed cervids and wildlife.

Technical Abstract: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a cervid spongiform encephalopathy or prion disease caused by the infectious prion or PrPSc, a misfolded conformer of cellular prion protein (PrPC). It has rapidly spread in North America and also has been found in Asia and Europe. In contrast to the zoonotic mad cow disease that is the first animal prion disease found transmissible to humans, the transmissibility of CWD to humans remains uncertain although most previous studies have suggested that humans may not be susceptible to CWD. Here we report the generation of an infectious human PrPSc by seeding CWD PrPSc in normal human brain PrPC through the in vitro cell-free serial protein misfolding cyclic amplification (sPMCA). Western blotting confirms that the sPMCA-induced proteinase K-resistant PrPSc is a human form, evidenced by a PrP-specific antibody that recognizes human but not cervid PrP. Remarkably, two lines of humanized transgenic (Tg) mice expressing human PrP-129Val/Val (VV) or -129Met/Met (MM) polymorphism develop prion disease at 233 6 (mean SE) days post-inoculation (dpi) and 552 27 dpi, respectively, upon intracerebral inoculation with the sPMCA-generated PrPSc. The brain of diseased Tg mice reveals the electrophoretic profile of PrPSc similar to sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) MM1 or VV2 subtype but different neuropathological patterns. We believe that our study provides the first evidence that CWD PrPSc is able to convert human PrPC into PrPSc in vitro and the CWD-derived human PrPSc mimics atypical sCJD subtypes in humanized Tg mice.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=382551

''The brain of diseased Tg mice reveals the electrophoretic profile of PrPSc similar to sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) MM1 or VV2 subtype but different neuropathological patterns.''

''We believe that our study provides the first evidence that CWD PrPSc is able to convert human PrPC into PrPSc in vitro and the CWD-derived human PrPSc mimics atypical sCJD subtypes in humanized Tg mice.''

Published: 26 September 2021

Generation of human chronic wasting disease in transgenic mice

Zerui Wang, Kefeng Qin, Manuel V. Camacho, Ignazio Cali, Jue Yuan, Pingping Shen, Justin Greenlee, Qingzhong Kong, James A. Mastrianni & Wen-Quan Zou

Acta Neuropathologica Communications volume 9, Article number: 158 (2021)

Abstract

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a cervid prion disease caused by the accumulation of an infectious misfolded conformer (PrPSc) of cellular prion protein (PrPC). It has been spreading rapidly in North America and also found in Asia and Europe. Although bovine spongiform encephalopathy (i.e. mad cow disease) is the only animal prion disease known to be zoonotic, the transmissibility of CWD to humans remains uncertain. Here we report the generation of the first CWD-derived infectious human PrPSc by elk CWD PrPSc-seeded conversion of PrPC in normal human brain homogenates using in vitro protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA). Western blotting with human PrP selective antibody confirmed that the PMCA-generated protease-resistant PrPSc was derived from the human PrPC substrate. Two lines of humanized transgenic mice expressing human PrP with either Val or Met at the polymorphic codon 129 developed clinical prion disease following intracerebral inoculation with the PMCA-generated CWD-derived human PrPSc. Diseased mice exhibited distinct PrPSc patterns and neuropathological changes in the brain. Our study, using PMCA and animal bioassays, provides the first evidence that CWD PrPSc can cross the species barrier to convert human PrPC into infectious PrPSc that can produce bona fide prion disease when inoculated into humanized transgenic mice.

Snip...

It is worth noting that the annual number of sporadic CJD (sCJD) cases in the USA has increased, with the total number of suspected and confirmed sCJD cases rising from 284 in 2003 to 511 in 2017 (https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cjd/occurrence-transmission.html). The greatly enhanced CJD surveillance and an aging population in the USA certainly contributed to the observed increase in annual sCJD case numbers in recent years, but the possibility cannot be excluded that some of the increased sCJD prevalence is linked to CWD exposure.

In the present study, using serial protein misfolding cyclic amplification (sPMCA) assay we generate PrPSc by seeding CWD prions in normal human brain homogenates. Importantly, we reveal that two lines of humanized Tg mice expressing human PrP-129VV and 129MM develop prion diseases upon intracerebral inoculation of the abnormal PrP generated by sPMCA. We believe that our study provides the first opportunity to dissect the clinical, pathological and biochemical features of the CWD-derived human prion disease in two lines of humanized Tg mice expressing two major human PrP genotypes, respectively.

https://actaneurocomms.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40478-021-01262-y

i thought i might share some news about cwd zoonosis that i got, that i cannot share or post to the public yet, i promised for various reasons, one that it will cause a **** storm for sure, but it was something i really already knew from previous studies, but, i was told that ;

==================

''As you can imagine, 2 and 5 (especially 5) may raise alarms. The evidence we have for 4 are not as strong or tight as I would like to have. At this point, please do not post any of the points publicly yet, but you can refer to points 1-3 in private discussions and all 5 points when discussing with relevant public officials to highlight the long-term risks of CWD zoonosis.''

====================

so, i figure your as about as official as it gets, and i think this science is extremely important for you to know and to converse about with your officials. it's about to burn a whole in my pocket. this is about as close as it will ever get for cwd zoonosis to be proven in my time, this and what Canada Czub et al found with the Macaques, plus an old study from cjd surveillance unit back that showed cjd and a 9% increase in risk from folks that eat venison, i will post all this below for your files Sir. i remember back in the BSE nvCJD days, from when the first BSE case in bovine was confirmed around 1984 maybe 83, i forget the good vets named that screwed it up first, Carol something, but from 83ish to 95 96 when nvCJD was linked to humans from BSE in cattle, so that took 10 to 15 years. hell, at that rate, especially with Texas and cwd zoonsis, hell, i'll be dead before it's official, if ever, so here ya go Sir. there was a grant study on cwd zoonosis that had been going on for some time, i followed it over the years, then the grant date for said study had expired, so, i thought i would write the good Professor about said study i.e. Professor Kong, CWRU et al. i will post the grant study abstract first, and then after that, what reply i got back, about said study that i was told not to post/publish...

CWD ZOONOSIS GRANT FIRST;

===============

Cervid to human prion transmission

Kong, Qingzhong

Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, United States

Abstract Prion disease is transmissible and invariably fatal. Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is the prion disease affecting deer, elk and moose, and it is a widespread and expanding epidemic affecting 22 US States and 2 Canadian provinces so far. CWD poses the most serious zoonotic prion transmission risks in North America because of huge venison consumption (>6 million deer/elk hunted and consumed annually in the USA alone), significant prion infectivity in muscles and other tissues/fluids from CWD-affected cervids, and usually high levels of individual exposure to CWD resulting from consumption of the affected animal among often just family and friends. However, we still do not know whether CWD prions can infect humans in the brain or peripheral tissues or whether clinical/asymptomatic CWD zoonosis has already occurred, and we have no essays to reliably detect CWD infection in humans. We hypothesize that: (1) The classic CWD prion strain can infect humans at low levels in the brain and peripheral lymphoid tissues; (2) The cervid-to-human transmission barrier is dependent on the cervid prion strain and influenced by the host (human) prion protein (PrP) primary sequence; (3) Reliable essays can be established to detect CWD infection in humans; and (4) CWD transmission to humans has already occurred. We will test these hypotheses in 4 Aims using transgenic (Tg) mouse models and complementary in vitro approaches.

Aim 1 will prove that the classical CWD strain may infect humans in brain or peripheral lymphoid tissues at low levels by conducting systemic bioassays in a set of humanized Tg mouse lines expressing common human PrP variants using a number of CWD isolates at varying doses and routes. Experimental human CWD samples will also be generated for Aim 3.

Aim 2 will test the hypothesis that the cervid-to-human prion transmission barrier is dependent on prion strain and influenced by the host (human) PrP sequence by examining and comparing the transmission efficiency and phenotypes of several atypical/unusual CWD isolates/strains as well as a few prion strains from other species that have adapted to cervid PrP sequence, utilizing the same panel of humanized Tg mouse lines as in Aim 1.

Aim 3 will establish reliable essays for detection and surveillance of CWD infection in humans by examining in details the clinical, pathological, biochemical and in vitro seeding properties of existing and future experimental human CWD samples generated from Aims 1-2 and compare them with those of common sporadic human Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (sCJD) prions.

Aim 4 will attempt to detect clinical CWD-affected human cases by examining a significant number of brain samples from prion-affected human subjects in the USA and Canada who have consumed venison from CWD-endemic areas utilizing the criteria and essays established in Aim 3. The findings from this proposal will greatly advance our understandings on the potential and characteristics of cervid prion transmission in humans, establish reliable essays for CWD zoonosis and potentially discover the first case(s) of CWD infection in humans.

Public Health Relevance There are significant and increasing human exposure to cervid prions because chronic wasting disease (CWD, a widespread and highly infectious prion disease among deer and elk in North America) continues spreading and consumption of venison remains popular, but our understanding on cervid-to-human prion transmission is still very limited, raising public health concerns. This proposal aims to define the zoonotic risks of cervid prions and set up and apply essays to detect CWD zoonosis using mouse models and in vitro methods. The findings will greatly expand our knowledge on the potentials and characteristics of cervid prion transmission in humans, establish reliable essays for such infections and may discover the first case(s) of CWD infection in humans.

Funding Agency Agency National Institute of Health (NIH) Institute National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NINDS) Type Research Project (R01) Project # 1R01NS088604-01A1 Application # 9037884 Study Section Cellular and Molecular Biology of Neurodegeneration Study Section (CMND) Program Officer Wong, May Project Start 2015-09-30 Project End 2019-07-31 Budget Start 2015-09-30 Budget End 2016-07-31 Support Year 1 Fiscal Year 2015 Total Cost $337,507 Indirect Cost $118,756

snip...

https://grantome.com/grant/NIH/R01-NS088604-01A1#panel-abstract

Professor Kongs reply to me just this month about above grant study that has NOT been published in peer reveiw yet...

=================================

Here is a brief summary of our findings:

snip...can't post, made a promise...tss

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 12:19 PM Terry Singeltary \

snip...

end...tss

chase128
AG
Your formatting gives me a headache. There's interesting stuff in there, but damn.
flounder9
> However, to date, no CWD infections have been reported in people.

key word here is 'reported'. science has shown that CWD in humans will look like sporadic CJD. SO, how can one assume that CWD has not already transmitted to humans? they can't, and it's as simple as that. from all recorded science to date, CWD has already transmitted to humans, and it's being misdiagnosed as sporadic CJD. …terry

*** LOOKING FOR CWD IN HUMANS AS nvCJD or as an ATYPICAL CJD, LOOKING IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES $$$ ***

*** These results would seem to suggest that CWD does indeed have zoonotic potential, at least as judged by the compatibility of CWD prions and their human PrPC target. Furthermore, extrapolation from this simple in vitro assay suggests that if zoonotic CWD occurred, it would most likely effect those of the PRNP codon 129-MM genotype and that the PrPres type would be similar to that found in the most common subtype of sCJD (MM1).***

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.4161/pri.28124?src=recsys

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.4161/pri.28124?needAccess=true

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/20/1/13-0858_article

CWD TSE PRION AND ZOONOTIC, ZOONOSIS, POTENTIAL

Subject: Re: DEER SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY SURVEY & HOUND STUDY

Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 23:12:22 +0100

Reply-To: Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy Organization: Netscape Online member

To: BSE-L@ References:

Dear Terry,

An excellent piece of review as this literature is desperately difficult to get back from Government sites.

What happened with the deer was that an association between deer meat eating and sporadic CJD was found in about 1993. The evidence was not great but did not disappear after several years of asking CJD cases what they had eaten. I think that the work into deer disease largely stopped because it was not helpful to the UK industry...and no specific cases were reported. Well, if you dont look adequately like they are in USA currenly then you wont find any!

Steve Dealler ===============

https://caninespongiformencephalopathy.blogspot.com/2010/03/canine-spongiform-encephalopathy-aka.html

''The association between venison eating and risk of CJD shows similar pattern, with regular venison eating associated with a 9 FOLD INCREASE IN RISK OF CJD (p = 0.04).''

CREUTZFELDT JAKOB DISEASE SURVEILLANCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM THIRD ANNUAL REPORT AUGUST 1994

Consumption of venison and veal was much less widespread among both cases and controls. For both of these meats there was evidence of a trend with increasing frequency of consumption being associated with increasing risk of CJD. (not nvCJD, but sporadic CJD...tss) These associations were largely unchanged when attention was restricted to pairs with data obtained from relatives. ...

Table 9 presents the results of an analysis of these data.

There is STRONG evidence of an association between ''regular'' veal eating and risk of CJD (p = .0.01).

Individuals reported to eat veal on average at least once a year appear to be at 13 TIMES THE RISK of individuals who have never eaten veal.

There is, however, a very wide confidence interval around this estimate. There is no strong evidence that eating veal less than once per year is associated with increased risk of CJD (p = 0.51).

The association between venison eating and risk of CJD shows similar pattern, with regular venison eating associated with a 9 FOLD INCREASE IN RISK OF CJD (p = 0.04).

There is some evidence that risk of CJD INCREASES WITH INCREASING FREQUENCY OF LAMB EATING (p = 0.02).

The evidence for such an association between beef eating and CJD is weaker (p = 0.14). When only controls for whom a relative was interviewed are included, this evidence becomes a little STRONGER (p = 0.08).

snip...

It was found that when veal was included in the model with another exposure, the association between veal and CJD remained statistically significant (p = < 0.05 for all exposures), while the other exposures ceased to be statistically significant (p = > 0.05).

snip...

In conclusion, an analysis of dietary histories revealed statistical associations between various meats/animal products and INCREASED RISK OF CJD. When some account was taken of possible confounding, the association between VEAL EATING AND RISK OF CJD EMERGED AS THE STRONGEST OF THESE ASSOCIATIONS STATISTICALLY. ...

snip...

In the study in the USA, a range of foodstuffs were associated with an increased risk of CJD, including liver consumption which was associated with an apparent SIX-FOLD INCREASE IN THE RISK OF CJD. By comparing the data from 3 studies in relation to this particular dietary factor, the risk of liver consumption became non-significant with an odds ratio of 1.2 (PERSONAL COMMUNICATION, PROFESSOR A. HOFMAN. ERASMUS UNIVERSITY, ROTTERDAM). (???...TSS)

snip...see full report ;

http://web.archive.org/web/20090506050043/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1994/08/00004001.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20090506050007/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1994/10/00003001.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20090506050244/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1994/07/00001001.pdf

Stephen Dealler is a consultant medical microbiologist

BSE Inquiry Steve Dealler

Management In Confidence

BSE: Private Submission of Bovine Brain Dealler

snip...see full text;

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 25, 2019

***> MAD DOGS AND ENGLISHMEN BSE, SCRAPIE, CWD, CJD, TSE PRION A REVIEW 2019

https://bseinquiry.blogspot.com/2019/02/mad-dogs-and-englishmen-bse-scrapie-cwd.html
txags92
AG
If you use [ quote] and [ /quote] without the spaces after the first bracket before and after the pieces you want to quote from each link, it will show up like the text below and make your longer posts much easier to read. Great information you are providing, just hard to follow it in the current format.

Quote:

This is how the quoted text will look
flounder9
ONE thing i forgot to mention, that i have been concerned about with cwd, scrapie, and pigs, especially with the problems Texas has with wild feral pigs, the way they dig up everything and move on, they have the potential to spread cwd. pigs and sheep are susceptible to cwd by oral routes. now think about the mad cow feed ban that leaves out cervid cwd more or less, OH, and pharmaceuticals there from if any...let's review shall we...

Research Project: Pathobiology, Genetics, and Detection of Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies Location: Virus and Prion Research

Title: Experimental transmission of the chronic wasting disease agent to swine after oral or intracranial inoculation

Author item MOORE, SARAH - Orise Fellow item WEST GREENLEE, M - Iowa State University item KONDRU, NAVEEN - Iowa State University item MANNE, SIREESHA - Iowa State University item Smith, Jodi item Kunkle, Robert item KANTHASAMY, ANUMANTHA - Iowa State University item Greenlee, Justin Submitted to: Journal of Virology Publication Type: Peer Reviewed Journal Publication Acceptance Date: 7/6/2017 Publication Date: 9/12/2017

Citation: Moore, S.J., West Greenlee, M.H., Kondru, N., Manne, S., Smith, J.D., Kunkle, R.A., Kanthasamy, A., Greenlee, J.J. 2017. Experimental transmission of the chronic wasting disease agent to swine after oral or intracranial inoculation. Journal of Virology. 91(19):e00926-17. https://doi.org/10.1128/JVI.00926-17.

Interpretive Summary: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a fatal disease of wild and captive deer and elk that causes damaging changes in the brain. The infectious agent is an abnormal protein called a prion that has misfolded from its normal state. Whether CWD can transmit to swine is unknown. This study evaluated the potential of pigs to develop CWD after either intracranial or oral inoculation. Our data indicates that swine do accumulate the abnormal prion protein associated with CWD after intracranial or oral inoculation. Further, there was evidence of abnormal prion protein accumulation in lymph nodes. Currently, swine rations in the U.S. could contain animal derived components including materials from deer or elk. In addition, feral swine could be exposed to infected carcasses in areas where CWD is present in wildlife populations. This information is useful to wildlife managers and individuals in the swine and captive cervid industries. These findings could impact future regulations for the disposal of offal from deer and elk slaughtered in commercial operations. U.S. regulators should carefully consider the new information from this study before relaxing feed ban standards designed to control potentially feed borne prion diseases.

Technical Abstract: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a naturally occurring, fatal neurodegenerative disease of cervids. The potential for swine to serve as a host for the agent of chronic wasting disease is unknown. The purpose of this study was to investigate the susceptibility of swine to the CWD agent following oral or intracranial experimental inoculation. Crossbred piglets were assigned to one of three groups: intracranially inoculated (n=20), orally inoculated (n=19), or non-inoculated (n=9). At approximately the age at which commercial pigs reach market weight, half of the pigs in each group were culled ('market weight' groups). The remaining pigs ('aged' groups) were allowed to incubate for up to 73 months post inoculation (MPI). Tissues collected at necropsy were examined for disease-associated prion protein (PrPSc) by western blotting (WB), antigen-capture immunoassay (EIA), immunohistochemistry (IHC) and in vitro real-time quaking induced conversion (RT-QuIC). Brain samples from selected pigs were also bioassayed in mice expressing porcine prion protein. Four intracranially inoculated aged pigs and one orally inoculated aged pig were positive by EIA, IHC and/or WB. Using RT-QuIC, PrPSc was detected in lymphoid and/or brain tissue from pigs in all inoculated groups. Bioassay was positive in 4 out of 5 pigs assayed. This study demonstrates that pigs can serve as hosts for CWD, though with scant PrPSc accumulation requiring sensitive detection methods. Detection of infectivity in orally inoculated pigs using mouse bioassay raises the possibility that naturally exposed pigs could act as a reservoir of CWD infectivity.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=339093

Research Project: TRANSMISSION, DIFFERENTIATION, AND PATHOBIOLOGY OF TRANSMISSIBLE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHIES Location: Virus and Prion Research

Title: Disease-associated prion protein detected in lymphoid tissues from pigs challenged with the agent of chronic wasting disease

Conclusions: This study demonstrates that PrPSc accumulates in lymphoid tissues from pigs challenged intracranially or orally with the CWD agent, and can be detected as early as 4 months after challenge. CWD-infected pigs rarely develop clinical disease and if they do, they do so after a long incubation period. This raises the possibility that CWD-infected pigs could shed prions into their environment long before they develop clinical disease. Furthermore, lymphoid tissues from CWD-infected pigs could present a potential source of CWD infectivity in the animal and human food chains.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=337105

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=326166

Title: The agent of chronic wasting disease from pigs is infectious in transgenic mice expressing human PRNP

Author item MOORE, S - Orise Fellow item Kokemuller, Robyn item WEST-GREENLEE, M - Iowa State University item BALKEMA-BUSCHMANN, ANNE - Friedrich-Loeffler-institut item GROSCHUP, MARTIN - Friedrich-Loeffler-institut item Greenlee, Justin Submitted to: Prion Publication Type: Abstract Only Publication Acceptance Date: 5/10/2018 Publication Date: 5/22/2018 Citation: Moore, S.J., Kokemuller, R.D., West-Greenlee, M.H., Balkema-Buschmann, A., Groschup, M.H., Greenlee, J.J. 2018. The agent of chronic wasting disease from pigs is infectious in transgenic mice expressing human PRNP. Prion 2018, Santiago de Compostela, Spain, May 22-25, 2018. Paper No. WA15, page 44.

Interpretive Summary:

The successful transmission of pig-passaged CWD to Tg40 mice reported here suggests that passage of the CWD agent through pigs results in a change of the transmission characteristics which reduces the transmission barrier of Tg40 mice to the CWD agent. If this biological behavior is recapitulated in the original host species, passage of the CWD agent through pigs could potentially lead to increased pathogenicity of the CWD agent in humans.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=353091

cwd scrapie pigs oral routes

***> However, at 51 months of incubation or greater, 5 animals were positive by one or more diagnostic methods. Furthermore, positive bioassay results were obtained from all inoculated groups (oral and intracranial; market weight and end of study) suggesting that swine are potential hosts for the agent of scrapie. <***

>*** Although the current U.S. feed ban is based on keeping tissues from TSE infected cattle from contaminating animal feed, swine rations in the U.S. could contain animal derived components including materials from scrapie infected sheep and goats. These results indicating the susceptibility of pigs to sheep scrapie, coupled with the limitations of the current feed ban, indicates that a revision of the feed ban may be necessary to protect swine production and potentially human health. <***

***> Results: PrPSc was not detected by EIA and IHC in any RPLNs. All tonsils and MLNs were negative by IHC, though the MLN from one pig in the oral <6 month group was positive by EIA. PrPSc was detected by QuIC in at least one of the lymphoid tissues examined in 5/6 pigs in the intracranial <6 months group, 6/7 intracranial >6 months group, 5/6 pigs in the oral <6 months group, and 4/6 oral >6 months group. Overall, the MLN was positive in 14/19 (74%) of samples examined, the RPLN in 8/18 (44%), and the tonsil in 10/25 (40%).

***> Conclusions: This study demonstrates that PrPSc accumulates in lymphoid tissues from pigs challenged intracranially or orally with the CWD agent, and can be detected as early as 4 months after challenge. CWD-infected pigs rarely develop clinical disease and if they do, they do so after a long incubation period. This raises the possibility that CWD-infected pigs could shed prions into their environment long before they develop clinical disease. Furthermore, lymphoid tissues from CWD-infected pigs could present a potential source of CWD infectivity in the animal and human food chains.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/publications/publication/?seqNo115=353091

https://www.ars.usda.gov/research/project/?accnNo=432011&fy=2017

Conclusions: This study demonstrates that PrPSc accumulates in lymphoid tissues from pigs challenged intracranially or orally with the CWD agent, and can be detected as early as 4 months after challenge. CWD-infected pigs rarely develop clinical disease and if they do, they do so after a long incubation period. This raises the possibility that CWD-infected pigs could shed prions into their environment long before they develop clinical disease. Furthermore, lymphoid tissues from CWD-infected pigs could present a potential source of CWD infectivity in the animal and human food chains.

CONFIDENTIAL

EXPERIMENTAL PORCINE SPONGIFORM ENCEPHALOPATHY

LINE TO TAKE

3. If questions on pharmaceuticals are raised at the Press conference, the suggested line to take is as follows:-

"There are no medicinal products licensed for use on the market which make use of UK-derived porcine tissues with which any hypothetical "high risk" 'might be associated. The results of the recent experimental work at the CSM will be carefully examined by the CSM's Working Group on spongiform encephalopathy at its next meeting.

DO Hagger RM 1533 MT Ext 3201

http://web.archive.org/web/20030822054419/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/09/21009001.pdf

While this clearly is a cause for concern we should not jump to the conclusion that this means that pigs will necessarily be infected by bone and meat meal fed by the oral route as is the case with cattle. ...

http://web.archive.org/web/20031026000118/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/08/23004001.pdf

we cannot rule out the possibility that unrecognised subclinical spongiform encephalopathy could be present in British pigs though there is no evidence for this: only with parenteral/implantable pharmaceuticals/devices is the theoretical risk to humans of sufficient concern to consider any action.

http://web.archive.org/web/20030822031154/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/09/10007001.pdf

May I, at the outset, reiterate that we should avoid dissemination of papers relating to this experimental finding to prevent premature release of the information. ...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030822052332/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/09/11005001.pdf

3. It is particularly important that this information is not passed outside the Department, until Ministers have decided how they wish it to be handled. ...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030822052438/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/09/12002001.pdf

But it would be easier for us if pharmaceuticals/devices are not directly mentioned at all. ...

http://web.archive.org/web/20030518170213/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/09/13004001.pdf

Our records show that while some use is made of porcine materials in medicinal products, the only products which would appear to be in a hypothetically ''higher risk'' area are the adrenocorticotrophic hormone for which the source material comes from outside the United Kingdom, namely America China Sweden France and Germany. The products are manufactured by Ferring and Armour. A further product, ''Zenoderm Corium implant'' manufactured by Ethicon, makes use of porcine skin - which is not considered to be a ''high risk'' tissue, but one of its uses is described in the data sheet as ''in dural replacement''. This product is sourced from the United Kingdom.....

http://web.archive.org/web/20030822054419/www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/yb/1990/09/21009001.pdf
Mathguy64
AG
So after reading all this it seems clear. We are going to be in Zombieland shortly. I hope I'm one of the few with immunity.
flounder9
***> cattle, pigs, sheep, cwd, tse, prion, oh my!

***> In contrast, cattle are highly susceptible to white-tailed deer CWD and mule deer CWD in experimental conditions but no natural CWD infections in cattle have been reported (Sigurdson, 2008; Hamir et al., 2006).

Sheep and cattle may be exposed to CWD via common grazing areas with affected deer but so far, appear to be poorly susceptible to mule deer CWD (Sigurdson, 2008). In contrast, cattle are highly susceptible to white-tailed deer CWD and mule deer CWD in experimental conditions but no natural CWD infections in cattle have been reported (Sigurdson, 2008; Hamir et al., 2006). It is not known how susceptible humans are to CWD but given that the prion can be present in muscle, it is likely that humans have been exposed to the agent via consumption of venison (Sigurdson, 2008). Initial experimental research suggests that human susceptibility to CWD is low and there may be a robust species barrier for CWD transmission to humans (Sigurdson, 2008), however the risk appetite for a public health threat may still find this level unacceptable.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/733407/DEFRA_QRA_TSE_in_cervids_June2018_v1.pdf

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16423572/

http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2012/08/susceptibility-of-cattle-to-agent-of.html

DEFRA

Friday, December 14, 2012

DEFRA U.K. What is the risk of Chronic Wasting Disease CWD being introduced into Great Britain? A Qualitative Risk Assessment October 2012

snip.....

In the USA, under the Food and Drug Administration's BSE Feed Regulation (21 CFR 589.2000) most material (exceptions include milk, tallow, and gelatin) from deer and elk is prohibited for use in feed for ruminant animals. With regards to feed for non-ruminant animals, under FDA law, CWD positive deer may not be used for any animal feed or feed ingredients. For elk and deer considered at high risk for CWD, the FDA recommends that these animals do not enter the animal feed system. However, this recommendation is guidance and not a requirement by law. Animals considered at high risk for CWD include:

1) animals from areas declared to be endemic for CWD and/or to be CWD eradication zones and

2) deer and elk that at some time during the 60-month period prior to slaughter were in a captive herd that contained a CWD-positive animal.

Therefore, in the USA, materials from cervids other than CWD positive animals may be used in animal feed and feed ingredients for non-ruminants.

The amount of animal PAP that is of deer and/or elk origin imported from the USA to GB can not be determined, however, as it is not specified in TRACES.

It may constitute a small percentage of the 8412 kilos of non-fish origin processed animal proteins that were imported from US into GB in 2011.

Overall, therefore, it is considered there is a __greater than negligible risk___ that (nonruminant) animal feed and pet food containing deer and/or elk protein is imported into GB.

There is uncertainty associated with this estimate given the lack of data on the amount of deer and/or elk protein possibly being imported in these products.

snip.....

36% in 2007 (Almberg et al., 2011). In such areas, population declines of deer of up to 30 to 50% have been observed (Almberg et al., 2011). In areas of Colorado, the prevalence can be as high as 30% (EFSA, 2011). The clinical signs of CWD in affected adults are weight loss and behavioural changes that can span weeks or months (Williams, 2005). In addition, signs might include excessive salivation, behavioural alterations including a fixed stare and changes in interaction with other animals in the herd, and an altered stance (Williams, 2005). These signs are indistinguishable from cervids experimentally infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE). Given this, if CWD was to be introduced into countries with BSE such as GB, for example, infected deer populations would need to be tested to differentiate if they were infected with CWD or BSE to minimise the risk of BSE entering the human food-chain via affected venison. snip..... The rate of transmission of CWD has been reported to be as high as 30% and can approach 100% among captive animals in endemic areas (Safar et al., 2008).

snip.....

In summary, in endemic areas, there is a medium probability that the soil and surrounding environment is contaminated with CWD prions and in a bioavailable form. In rural areas where CWD has not been reported and deer are present, there is a greater than negligible risk the soil is contaminated with CWD prion. snip..... In summary, given the volume of tourists, hunters and servicemen moving between GB and North America, the probability of at least one person travelling to/from a CWD affected area and, in doing so, contaminating their clothing, footwear and/or equipment prior to arriving in GB is greater than negligible... For deer hunters, specifically, the risk is likely to be greater given the increased contact with deer and their environment. However, there is significant uncertainty associated with these estimates.

snip.....

Therefore, it is considered that farmed and park deer may have a higher probability of exposure to CWD transferred to the environment than wild deer given the restricted habitat range and higher frequency of contact with tourists and returning GB residents.

snip.....

https://web.archive.org/web/20170404125557/http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130822084033/http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-diseases/files/qra_chronic-wasting-disease-121029.pdf
http://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2021/03/

a review of a few banned mad cow feed in the USA, too many to list all of them;

BANNED MAD COW FEED IN COMMERCE IN ALABAMA

Date: September 6, 2006 at 7:58 am PST PRODUCT

a) EVSRC Custom dairy feed, Recall # V-130-6;

b) Performance Chick Starter, Recall # V-131-6;

c) Performance Quail Grower, Recall # V-132-6;

d) Performance Pheasant Finisher, Recall # V-133-6.

CODE None RECALLING FIRM/MANUFACTURER Donaldson & Hasenbein/dba J&R Feed Service, Inc., Cullman, AL, by telephone on June 23, 2006 and by letter dated July 19, 2006. Firm initiated recall is complete.

REASON

Dairy and poultry feeds were possibly contaminated with ruminant based protein.

VOLUME OF PRODUCT IN COMMERCE 477.72 tons

DISTRIBUTION AL

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00968.html

http://web.archive.org/web/20080229052729/http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/enforce/2006/ENF00968.html

snip...more feed ban violations, too many to list tonnage;

Notice of Request To Renew an Approved Information Collection: Specified Risk Materials DOCKET NUMBER Docket No. FSIS-2022-0027 Singeltary Submission

https://www.regulations.gov/comment/FSIS-2022-0027-0002

Singeltary further comments in attachment;

Specified Risk Materials DOCKET NUMBER Docket No. FSIS-2022-0027 Singeltary Submission Attachment
https://downloads.regulations.gov/FSIS-2022-0027-0002/attachment_1.pdf

kind regards, terry
ConfidentAg
AG
Yo Terry, I can barely read normal things.

Give me the TLDR on how it may get transmitted to humans and if there have been any studies on that.
OnlyForNow
AG
ConfidentAg said:

Give me the TLDR on how it may get transmitted to humans and if there have been any studies on that.

Or you know just put a link to the study.
flounder9
OnlyForNow said:

ConfidentAg said:

Or you know just put a link to the study.

like i said, there is NO _documented_ evidence that a person contracted cwd tse prion.

there will be a great deal of data on zoonosis of cwd to humans.

plenty evidence that supports it's possible.

or that it's already happened and is being misdiagnosed as sporadic cjd.

first let's see what prion conference 2022 had this year;

PRION CONFERENCE 2022 ABSTRACTS CWD TSE PrP ZOONOSIS

Transmission of prion infectivity from CWD-infected macaque tissues to rodent models demonstrates the zoonotic potential of chronic wasting disease.

Samia Hannaouia, Ginny Chenga, Wiebke Wemheuerb, Walter J. Schulz-Schaefferb, Sabine Gilcha, and Hermann M. Schtzla aDepartment of Comparative Biology and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine & Hotchkiss Brain Institute; University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada; bInstitute of Neuropathology, Medical Faculty, Saarland University, Homburg/Saar, Germany

Aims: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease of cervids. Its rapid geographic expansion, shedding of infectivity and persistence in the environment for many years are of concern for humans. Here, we provide the first evidence by transmission experiments to different transgenic mouse models and bank voles that Cynomolgus macaques inoculated via different routes with CWD-positive cervid tissues harbor infectious prions that elicit clinical disease in rodents.

Material and Methods: We used tissue materials from macaques inoculated with CWD to inoculate transgenic mice overexpressing cervid PrPCfollowed by transmission into bank voles. We used RT-QuIC, immunoblot and PET blot analysis to assess brains, spinal cords, and tissues of the gastrointestinal tract (GIT) for the presence of prions.

Results: Our results show that of the macaque materials that induced clinical disease in transgenic mice,73% were from the CNS (46% spinal cord and 27% brain), and 27% were from the spleen, although attack rates were low around 20%. Clinical mice did not display PK-resistant PrPSc(PrPres) in immunoblot, but showed low-levels of prion seeding activity. Transmission into bank voles from clinical transgenic mice led to a 100% attack rate with typical PrPressignature in immunoblot, which was different from that of voles inoculated directly with CWD or scrapie prions. High-level prion seeding activity in brain and spinal cord and PrPresdeposition in the brain were present. Remarkably, we also found prion seeding activity in GIT tissues of inoculated voles. Second passage in bank voles led to a 100% attack rate in voles inoculated with brain, spinal cord and small intestine material from first round animals, with PrPresin immunoblot, prion seeding activity, and PrPresdeposition in the brain. Shortened survival times indicate adaptation in the new host. This also shows that prions detected in GIT tissues are infectious and transmissible. Transmission of brain material from sick voles back to cervidized mice revealed transmission in these mice with a 100% attack rate, and interestingly, with different biochemical signature and distribution in the brain.

Conclusions: Our findings demonstrate that macaques, considered the best model for the zoonotic potential of prions, were infected upon CWD challenge, including oral one. The disease manifested as atypical in macaques and transgenic mice, but with infectivity present at all times, as unveiled in the bank vole model with an unusual tissue tropism.

Funded by: The National Institutes of Health, USA, and the Alberta Prion Research Institute/Alberta Innovates Canada. Grant number: 1R01NS121016-01; 201,600,023

Acknowledgement: We thank Umberto Agrimi, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Rome, Italy, and Michael Beekes, Robert-Koch Institute Berlin, Germany, for providing the bank vole model. We thank the University of Calgary animal facility staff and Dr. Stephanie Anderson for animal care.

Transmission of Cervid Prions to Humanized Mice Demonstrates the Zoonotic Potential of CWD

Samia Hannaouia, Irina Zemlyankinaa, Sheng Chun Changa, Maria Immaculata Arifina, Vincent Bringueb, Debbie McKenziec, Hermann M. Schatzla, and Sabine Gilcha

aDepartment of Comparative Biology and Experimental Medicine, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine; Hotchkiss Brain Institute; University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada; bUniversit Paris-Saclay, INRAE, UVSQ, VIM, Jouy-en-Josas, France; cDepartment of Biological Sciences, Center for Prions and Protein Folding Diseases, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada

Aims: Chronic wasting disease (CWD), a prion disease of cervids, spreads efficiently among wild and farmed animals. Potential transmission to humans of CWD is a growing concern due to its increasing prevalence. Here, we aimed to determine the zoonotic potential of CWD using a mouse model for human prion diseases.

Material and Methods: Transgenic mice overexpressing human PrPChomozygous for methionine at codon 129 (tg650) were inoculated intracerebrally with brain homogenates of white-tailed deer infected with Wisc-1/CWD1 or 116AG CWD strains. Mice were monitored for clinical signs and were euthanized at terminal disease. Brains were tested by RT-QuIC, western blot upon PK digestion, and immunohistochemistry; fecal homogenates were analyzed by RT-QuIC. Brain/spinal cord and fecal homogenates of CWD-inoculated tg650 mice were inoculated into tg650 mice or bank voles. Brain homogenates of bank voles inoculated with fecal homogenates of CWD-infected tg650 mice were used for second passage in bank voles.

Results: Here, we provide the strongest evidence supporting the zoonotic potential of CWD prions, and their possible phenotype in humans. Inoculation of mice expressing human PrPCwith deer CWD isolates (strains Wisc-1 and 116AG) resulted in atypical clinical manifestations in > 75% of the mice, with myoclonus as leading clinical sign. Most of tg650 brain homogenates were positive for seeding activity in RT-QuIC. Clinical disease and presentation was transmissible to tg650 mice and bank voles. Intriguingly, protease-resistant PrP in the brain of tg650 mice resembled that found in a familial human prion disease and was transmissible upon passage. Abnormal PrP aggregates upon infection with Wisc-1 were detectable in thalamus, hypothalamus, and midbrain/pons regions.

Unprecedented in human prion disease, feces of CWD-inoculated tg650 mice harbored prion seeding activity and infectious prions, as shown by inoculation of bank voles and tg650 with fecal homogenates.

Conclusions: This is the first evidence that CWD can infect humans and cause disease with a distinctive clinical presentation, signature, and tropism, which might be transmissible between humans while current diagnostic assays might fail to detect it. These findings have major implications for public health and CWD-management.

Funded by: We are grateful for financial support from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada, the National Institutes of Health, Genome Canada, and the Alberta Prion Research Institute. SG is supported by the Canada Research Chairs program.

Acknowledgement: We thank Dr. Trent Bollinger, WCVM, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada, for providing brain tissue from the WTD-116AG isolate, Dr. Stphane Hak, ICM, Paris, France, for providing brain tissue from vCJD and sCJD cases, and Dr. Umberto Agrimi, Istituto Superiore di Sanit, Italy, for the bank vole model. We thank animal facility staff for animal care, Dr. Stephanie Anderson for veterinary oversight, and Yo-Ching Cheng for preparing recombinant PrP substrates. Thank you to Dr. Stephanie Booth and Jennifer Myskiw, Public Health Agency of Canada, Canada.

The chronic wasting disease agent from white-tailed deer is infectious to humanized mice after passage through raccoons

Eric Cassmanna, Xu Qib, Qingzhong Kongb, and Justin Greenleea

aNational Animal Disease Center, Agricultural Research Service, US Department of Agriculture, Ames, IA, USA bDepartments of Pathology, Neurology, National Center for Regenerative Medicine, and National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA

Aims: Evaluate the zoonotic potential of the raccoon passaged chronic wasting disease (CWD) agent in humanized transgenic mice in comparison with the North American CWD agent from the original white-tailed deer host.

Material and Methods: Pooled brain material (GG96) from a CWD positive herd was used to oronasally inoculate two white-tailed deer with wild-type prion protein genotype and intracranially inoculate a raccoon. Brain homogenates (10% w/v) from the raccoon and the two white-tailed deer were used to intracranially inoculate separate groups of transgenic mice that express human prion protein with methionine (M) at codon 129 (Tg40h). Brains and spleens were collected from mice at experimental endpoints of clinical disease or approximately 700 days post-inoculation. Tissues were divided and homogenized or fixed in 10% buffered neutral formalin. Immunohistochemistry, enzyme immunoassay, and western blot were used to detect misfolded prion protein (PrPSc) in tissue.

Results: Humanized transgenic mice inoculated with the raccoon passaged CWD agent from white-tailed deer exhibited a 100% (12/12) attack rate with an average incubation period of 605 days. PrPScwas detected in brain tissue by enzyme immunoassay with an average optical density of 3.6/4.0 for positive brains. PrPScalso was detected in brain tissue by western blot and immunohistochemistry. No PrPScwas detected in the spleens of mice inoculated with the raccoon passaged CWD agent. Humanized mice inoculated with the CWD agent from white-tailed deer did not have detectable PrPScusing conventional immunoassay techniques.

Conclusions: The host range of the CWD agent from white-tailed deer was expanded in our experimental model after one passage through raccoons.

Funded by: This research was funded in its entirety by congressionally appropriated funds to the United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. The funders of the work did not influence study design, data collection and analysis, decision to publish, or preparation of the manuscript.

Acknowledgement: We thank Quazetta Brown, Lexi Frese, Rylie Frese, Kevin Hassall, Leisa Mandell, and Trudy Tatum for providing excellent technical support to this project.

Stable and highly zoonotic cervid prion strain is possible

Manuel Camacho, Xu Qi, Liuting Qing, Sydney Smith, Jieji Hu, Wanyun Tao, Ignazio Cali, and Qingzhong Kong Department of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA

Aims: Whether CWD prions can infect humans remains unclear despite the very substantial scale and long history of human exposure of CWD in some areas. Multiple in vitro conversion experiments and in vivo animal studies suggest that the CWD-to-human transmission barrier is not unbreakable. A major public health concern on CWD zoonosis is the emergence of highly zoonotic CWD strains. We aim to address the question of whether highly zoonotic CWD strains are possible.

Material and Methods: We inoculated a few sCJD brain samples into cervidized transgenic mice, which were intended as negative controls for bioassays of brain tissues from sCJD cases who had hunted or consumed vension from CWD-endemic states. Some of these mice became infected and their brain tissues were further examined by serial passages in humanized or cervidized mice.

Results: Passage of sCJDMM1 in transgenic mice expressing elk PrP (Tg12) resulted in a 'cervidized' CJD strain that we termed CJDElkPrP. We observed 100% transmission of CJDElkPrPin transgenic mice expressing human PrP (Tg40h). We passaged CJDElkPrPtwo more times in the Tg12 mice. We found that such second and third passage CJDElkPrPprions also led to 100% infection in the Tg40h mice. In contrast, we and others found zero or poor transmission of natural elk CWD isolates in humanized mice, despite that natural elk CWD isolates and CJDElkPrPshare the same elk PrP sequence.

Conclusions: Our data demonstrate that highly zoonotic cervid prion strains are not only possible but also can be stably maintained in cervids and that CWD zoonosis is prion strain-dependent.

Funded by: NIH

Grant number: R01NS052319, R01NS088604, R01NS109532

Acknowledgement: We want to thank the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center and Drs. Allen Jenny and Katherine O'Rourke for providing the sCJD samples and the CWD samples, respectively.

Adaptation of chronic wasting disease (CWD) prion strains in hosts with different PRNP genotypes

Camilo Duque Velasqueza,c, Elizabeth Triscotta,c, Chiye Kima,c, Diana Morenoa,c, Judd Aikenb,c, and Debbie McKenziea,c

aDepartment of Biological Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2G8, Canada; bDepartment of Agriculture, Food & Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2G8, Canada; cCentre for Prions and Protein Folding Diseases, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB T6G 2M8, Canada

Aims: The contagious nature of CWD epizootics and the PrPCamino acid variation of cervids (and susceptible sympatric species) guarantee the expansion of prion conformational diversity and selective landscapes where new strains can arise. CWD strains can have novel transmission properties including altered host range that may increase zoonotic risk as circulating strains diversify and evolve. We are characterizing the host adaptability of characterized CWD strains as well as CWD isolates from different cervid species in various enzootic regions.

Material and Methods: Characterized CWD strains as well as a number of isolates from hunter-harvested deer were bioassayed in our rodent panel (transgenic mice expressing cervid alleles G96, S96 and H95-PrPC, elk PrPC, bovine PrPC, and both hamsters and non-transgenic laboratory mice). Strain characteristics were compared using computer based scoring of brain pathology (e.g. PrPCWDbrain distribution), western blot and protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA).

Results: Transmission of various isolates resulted in the selection of strain mixtures in hosts expressing similar PrPC, particularly for polymorphic white-tailed deer and for Norwegian reindeer. As of the second passage, transmission of P153 moose prions from Norway has not resulted in emergence of strains with properties similar to any North American CWD strains in our taxonomic collection (Wisc-1, CWD2, H95+and 116AG).

Conclusions: Our data indicates polymorphic white-tailed deer can favor infection with more than one strain. Similar to transmission studies of Colorado CWD isolates from cervids expressing a single PrPCprimary structure, the isolate from Norway reindeer (V214) represents a strain mixture, suggesting intrinsic strain diversity in the Nordfjella epizootic. The diversity of CWD strains with distinct transmission characteristics represents a threat to wildlife, sympatric domestic animals and public health.

Funded by: Genome Canada and Genome Alberta (Alberta Prion Research Institute and Alberta Agriculture & Forestry); NSERC Grant number: #LSARP 10205; NSERC RGPIN-2017-05539

Acknowledgement: We would like to thank Margo Pybus (Alberta Environment and Parks) Trent Bollinger (University of Saskatchewan) for providing us with tissue samples from hunter-harvested deer and Sylvie Benestad for providing moose and reindeer samples.

Application of PMCA to understand CWD prion strains, species barrier and zoonotic potential

Sandra Pritzkowa, Damian Gorskia, Frank Ramireza, Fei Wanga, Glenn C. Tellingb, Justin J. Greenleec, Sylvie L. Benestadd, and Claudio Sotoa aDepartment of Neurology, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, Texas, USA; bDepartment of Microbiology, Immunology and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA; cVirus and Prion Research Unit, United States Department of Agriculture, Ames, Iowa, USA; dNorwegian Veterinary Institute, OIE Reference Laboratory for CWD, s, Norway

Aims: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease affecting various species of cervids that continues to spread uncontrollably across North America and has recently been detected in Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden and Finland). The mechanisms responsible for the natural transmission of CWD are largely unknown. Furthermore, the risk of CWD transmission to other species, including humans, is also unknown and remains a dangerous enigma. In this study, we investigated the potential of CWD prions to infect several other animal species (sheep, cattle, pig, hamster, and mouse) including humans, by examining their capacity to convert the normal prion protein of distinct species in a PMCA reaction. Moreover, we also investigated whether the in vivo passage of CWD through intermediate species alters their capacity for zoonotic transmission, which may represent a major hazard to human health.

Material and Methods: For these studies, we used brain material from CWD-infected white-tailed deer (Odocoileus virginianus), elk (Cervus canadensis), and mule deer (Odocoileus hemionus) as species native to North America. We also used CWD-infected Moose (Alces alces), reindeer (Rangifer tarandus) and red deer (Cervus elaphus) as Norwegian cervids. We also used brains from cattle, sheep and pigs experimentally infected by CWD. To study interspecies-transmission and zoonotic potential, samples were tested via PMCA for the conversion of PrPCinto PrPScusing different combinations of inoculum and host species. Based on these analyses we estimated the spillover and zoonotic potential for different CWD isolates. We define and quantify spillover and zoonotic potential indices as the efficiency by which CWD prions sustain prion generation in vitro at the expense of normal prion proteins from various mammals and human, respectively.

Results: Our results show that prions from some cervid species, especially those found in Northern Europe, have a higher potential to transmit disease characteristics to other animals. Conversely, CWD-infected cervids originated in North America appear to have a greater potential to generate human PrPSc. We also found that in vivo transmission of CWD to cattle, but not to sheep or pigs substantially increases the ability of these prions to convert human PrPCby PMCA.

Conclusions: Our findings support the existence of different CWD prion strains with distinct spillover and zoonotic potentials. We also conclude that transmission of CWD to other animal species may increase the risk for CWD transmission to humans. Our studies may provide a tool to predict the array of animal species that a given CWD prion could affect and may contribute to understanding the risk of CWD for human health.

Funded by: National Institute of Health Grant number: P01 AI077774

Generation of human chronic wasting disease in transgenic mice

Zerui Wanga, Kefeng Qinb, Manuel V. Camachoa, Ignazio Cali a,c, Jue Yuana, Pingping Shena, Tricia Gillilanda, Syed Zahid Ali Shaha, Maria Gerasimenkoa, Michelle Tanga, Sarada Rajamanickama, Anika Yadatia, Lawrence B. Schonbergerd, Justin Greenleee, Qingzhong Konga,c, James A. Mastriannib, and Wen-Quan Zoua,c

aDepartment of Pathology, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH, USA; bDepartment of Neurology and Center for Comprehensive Care and Research on Memory Disorders, the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine, Chicago, USA; cNational Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA; dDivision of High-Consequence Pathogens and Pathology, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd, Atlanta, GA, USA; eVirus and Prion Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, USDA, Agricultural Research Service, 1920 Dayton Avenue, Ames, IA, USA

Aims: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) results from the accumulation of an infectious misfolded conformer (PrPSc) of cellular prion protein (PrPC) in the brains of deer and elk. It has been spreading rapidly throughout many regions of North America, exported inadvertently to South Korea, and more recently identified in Europe. Mad cow disease has caused variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (vCJD) in humans and is currently the only known zoonotic prion disease. Whether CWD is transmissible to humans remains uncertain. The aims of our study were not only to confirm whether CWD prion isolates can convert human brain PrPCinto PrPScin vitro by serial protein misfolding cyclic amplification (sPMCA) but also to determine whether the sPMCA-induced CWD-derived human PrPScis infectious.

Material and Methods: Eight CWD prion isolates from 7 elks and 1 deer were used as the seeds while normal human brain homogenates containing either PrP-129 MM (n = 2) or PrP-129 VV (n = 1) were used as the substrates for sPMCA assay. A normal elk brain tissue sample was used as a negative control seed. Two lines of humanized transgenic (Tg) mice expressing either human PrP-129VV or 129 MM polymorphism were included for transmission studies to determine the infectivity of PMCA-amplified PrPSc. Wester blotting and immunohistochemistry and hematoxylin & eosin staining were used for determining PrPScand neuropathological changes of inoculated animals.

Results: We report here the generation of the first CWD-derived infectious human PrPScusing elk CWD PrPScto initiate conversion of human PrPCfrom normal human brain homogenates with PMCA in vitro. Western blotting with a human PrP selective antibody confirmed that the PMCA-generated protease-resistant PrPScwas derived from the human brain PrPCsubstrate. Two lines of humanized transgenic mice expressing human PrPCwith either Val or Met at the polymorphic codon 129 developed clinical prion disease following intracerebral inoculation with the PMCA-generated CWD-derived human PrPSc. Diseased mice exhibited distinct PrPScpatterns and neuropathological changes in the brain.

Conclusions: Our study, using PMCA and animal bioassays, provides the first evidence that CWD PrPSchas the potential to overcome the species barrier and directly convert human PrPCinto infectious PrPScthat can produce bona fide prion disease when inoculated into humanized transgenic mice.

Funded by: CJD Foundation and NIH

Mortality surveillance of persons potentially exposed to chronic wasting disease

R.A. Maddoxa, R.F. Klosb, L.R. Willb, S.N. Gibbons-Burgenerb, A. Mvilongoa, J.Y. Abramsa, B.S. Applebyc, L.B. Schonbergera, and E.D. Belaya aNational Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Atlanta, USA; bWisconsin Department of Health Services (WDHS), Division of Public Health, Madison, USA; cNational Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center (NPDPSC), Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA

Aims: It is unknown whether chronic wasting disease (CWD), a prion disease of cervids, can infect people, but consumption of meat from infected animals would be the most likely route of transmission. Wisconsin Department of Health Services, Division of Public Health (WDHS) personnel maintain a database consisting of information collected from hunters who reported eating, or an intention to eat, venison from CWD-positive cervids. These data, collected since 2003, allow for the evaluation of causes of mortality in individuals potentially exposed to CWD.

Material and Methods: The WDHS database contains the name, date of birth, when available, year of CWD-positive deer harvest, and city and state of residence for each potentially exposed individual. The database also includes information on how the deer was processed (self-processed or by a commercial operator) and when applicable, names of others with whom the venison was shared. Duplicate entries (i.e., those who consumed venison from CWD-positive deer in multiple hunt years) are determined by first name, last name, and date of birth. All names in the database are cross-checked with reported cases of human prion disease in Wisconsin and cases in the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center (NPDPSC) diagnostic testing database. Persons with date of birth available are also cross-checked with prion disease decedents identified through restricted-use national multiple cause-of-death data via a data use agreement with the National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS).

Results: The database currently consists of 1561 records for hunt years 20032017 and 87 additional records for 20182019. Of these, 657 records have accompanying date of birth; 15 entries were removed as duplicates leaving 642 unique individuals. Of these individuals, 278 of 426 (66%) who ate venison from a CWD-positive deer and provided processing information reported self-processing. No matches were found among any persons in the database cross-checked with WDHS human prion disease surveillance data, NPDPSC data (February 2022 update), and NCHS data through 2020.

Conclusions: Because of the linkage of person and CWD-positive animal in the WDHS database, reviewing the cause of mortality in potentially exposed persons is possible. The number of individuals cross-checked so far is likely only a small percentage of those potentially exposed to CWD in Wisconsin, and many more years of vital status tracking are needed given an expected long incubation period should transmission to humans occur. Nevertheless, the findings of this ongoing review are thus far reassuring.

Prion disease incidence, United States, 20032020

R.A. Maddoxa, M.K. Persona, K. Kotobellib, A. Mvilongoa, B.S. Applebyb, L.B. Schonbergera, T.A. Hammetta, J.Y. Abramsa, and E.D. Belaya aNational Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Atlanta, USA; bNational Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center (NPDPSC), Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA

Aims: Mortality data, in conjunction with neuropathological and genetic testing results, are used to estimate prion disease incidence in the United States.

Material and Methods: Prion disease decedents for 20032020 were identified from restricted-use U.S. national multiple cause-of-death data, via a data use agreement with the National Center for Health Statistics, and from the National Prion Disease Pathology Surveillance Center (NPDPSC) database. NPDPSC decedents with neuropathological or genetic test results positive for prion disease for whom no likely match was found in the NCHS multiple cause-of-death data were added as cases for incidence calculations, while those with negative neuropathology results but with cause-of-death data indicating prion disease were removed. Unmatched cases in the NPDPSC database lacking neuropathological testing but with a positive real-time quaking-induced conversion (RT-QuIC) test result were additionally assessed. Age-specific and age-adjusted average annual incidence rates were calculated from the combined data; the year 2000 as the standard population and the direct method were used for age-adjustment.

Results: A total of 7,921 decedents were identified as having prion disease during 20032020 for an age-adjusted average annual incidence of 1.2 per million population. The age-adjusted incidence between males and females (1.3 and 1.1 per million, respectively) differed significantly (p < 0.0001). The age-specific average annual incidence among those <55 and 55 years of age was 0.2 and 4.8 per million, respectively; incidence among those 65 was 6.1 per million. Eighteen cases were <30 years of age for an age-specific incidence of 8.0 per billion; only 6 of these very young cases were sporadic (3 sporadic CJD, 3 sporadic fatal insomnia), with the rest being familial (9), variant (2), or iatrogenic (1). The age-adjusted annual incidence for the most recent year of data, 2020, was 1.3 per million. However, assessment of RT-QuIC positive cases lacking neuropathology in the NPDPSC database suggested that approximately 20% more cases may have occurred in that year; the addition of a subset of these cases that had date of death information available (n = 44) increased the 2020 rate to 1.4 per million.

Conclusions: Mortality data supplemented with the results of neuropathological, CSF RT-QuIC, and genetic testing can be used to estimate prion disease incidence. However, the identification in the NPDPSC database of RT-QuIC-positive cases lacking date of death information suggests that this strategy may exclude a number of probable prion disease cases. Prion disease cases <30 years of age, especially those lacking a pathogenic mutation, continue to be very rare.

Shedding of Chronic Wasting Disease Prions in Multiple Excreta Throughout Disease Course in White-tailed Deer

Nathaniel D. Denkersa, Erin E. McNultya, Caitlyn N. Krafta, Amy V. Nallsa, Joseph A. Westricha, Wilfred Goldmannb, Candace K. Mathiasona, and Edward A. Hoovera

aPrion Research Center, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biological Sciences, Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology; Colorado State University, Fort Collins, CO, USA; bDivision of Infection and Immunity, The Roslin Institute and the Royal Dick School of Veterinary Studies, University of Edinburgh, Midlothian, UK

Aims: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) now infects cervids in South Korea, North America, and Scandinavia. CWD is unique in its efficient transmission and shedding of prions in body fluids throughout long course infections. Questions remain as to the magnitude of shedding and the route of prion acquisition. As CWD continues to expand, the need to better understand these facets of disease becomes more pertinent. The purpose of the studies described was to define the longitudinal shedding profile of CWD prions in urine, saliva, and feces throughout the course of infection in white-tailed deer.

Material and Methods: Twelve (12) white-tailed deer were inoculated with either 1 mg or 300ng of CWD. Urine, saliva, and feces were collected every 3-month post-inoculation (MPI) throughout the study duration. Cohorts were established based on PNRP genotype: codon 96 GG (n = 6) and alternate codons 96 GS (n = 5) & 103NT (n = 1). Urine and saliva were analyzed using iron-oxide magnetic extraction (IOME) and real-time quaking induced conversion (RT-QuIC)(IQ). Feces were subjected to IOME, followed by 4 rounds protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA) with products analyzed by RT-QuIC (IPQ). To determine whether IPQ may be superior to IQ, a subset of urine and saliva were also tested by IPQ. Results were compared with clinical disease status.

Results: Within the 96 GG cohort, positive seeding activity was detected in feces from all deer (100%), in saliva from 5 of 6 (83%), and in urine from 4 of 6 (66%). Shedding in all excreta occurred at, or just after, the first positive tonsil biopsy result. In the 96 GS/103NT cohort, positive seeding activity could be detected in feces from 3 of 6 (50%) deer, saliva in 2 of 6 (33%), and urine in 1 of 6 (16%). Shedding in excreta was detected >5 months after the first tonsil positive result. Four of six 96 GG deer developed clinical signs of CWD, whereas only 2 of the 96 GS/103NT did. Shedding was more frequently detected in deer with clinical disease. The IPQ protocol did not significantly improve detection in saliva or urine samples, however, it significantly augmented detection in feces by eliminating non-specific background commonly experienced with IQ. Negative control samples remained negative in samples tested.

Conclusions: These studies demonstrate: (a) CWD prion excretion occurs throughout infection; (2) PRNP genotype (GGGS/NT) influences the excreta shedding; and (3) detection sensitivity in excreta can vary with different RT-QuIC protocols. These results provide a more complete perspective of prion shedding in deer during the course of CWD infection.

Funded by: National Institutes of Health (NIH)

Grant number: RO1-NS061902-09 R to EAH, PO1-AI077774 to EAH, and R01-AI112956-06 to CKM

Acknowledgement: We abundantly thank Sallie Dahmes at WASCO and David Osborn and Gino D'Angelo at the University of Georgia Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources for their long-standing support of this work through provision of the hand-raised, CWD-free, white-tailed deer used in these studies

Large-scale PMCA screening of retropharyngeal lymph nodes and in white-tailed deer and comparisons with ELISA and IHC: the Texas CWD study

Rebeca Benaventea, Paulina Sotoa, Mitch Lockwoodb, and Rodrigo Moralesa

aDepartment of Neurology, McGovern Medical School, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Texas, USA; bTexas Park and Wildlife Department, Texas, USA

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a transmissible spongiform encephalopathy that affects various species of cervids, and both free-ranging and captive animals. Until now, CWD has been detected in 3 continents: North America, Europe, and Asia. CWD prevalence in some states may reach 30% of total animals. In Texas, the first case of CWD was reported in a free-range mule deer in Hudspeth and now it has been detected in additional 14 counties. Currently, the gold standard techniques used for CWD screening and detection are ELISA and immunohistochemistry (IHC) of obex and retropharyngeal lymph nodes (RPLN). Unfortunately, these methods are known for having a low diagnostic sensitivity. Hence, many CWD-infected animals at pre-symptomatic stages may be misdiagnosed. Two promising in vitro prion amplification techniques, including the real-time quaking-induced conversion (RT-QuIC) and the protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA) have been used to diagnose CWD and other prion diseases in several tissues and bodily fluids. Considering the low cost and speed of RT-QuIC, two recent studies have communicated the potential of this technique to diagnose CWD prions in RPLN samples. Unfortunately, the data presented in these articles suggest that identification of CWD positive samples is comparable to the currently used ELISA and IHC protocols. Similar studies using the PMCA technique have not been reported.

Aims: Compare the CWD diagnostic potential of PMCA with ELISA and IHC in RPLN samples from captive and free-range white-tailed deer. Material and Methods: In this study we analyzed 1,003 RPLN from both free-ranging and captive white-tailed deer collected in Texas. Samples were interrogated with the PMCA technique for their content of CWD prions. PMCA data was compared with the results obtained through currently approved techniques.

Results: Our results show a 15-fold increase in CWD detection in free-range deer compared with ELISA. Our results unveil the presence of prion infected animals in Texas counties with no previous history of CWD. In the case of captive deer, we detected a 16% more CWD positive animals when compared with IHC. Interestingly, some of these positive samples displayed differences in their electroforetic mobilities, suggesting the presence of different prion strains within the State of Texas.

Conclusions: PMCA sensitivity is significantly higher than the current gold standards techniques IHC and ELISA and would be a good tool for rapid CWD screening.

Funded by: USDA

Grant number: AP20VSSPRS00C143

ATYPRION project: assessing the zoonotic potential of interspecies transmission of CWD isolates to livestock (preliminary results).

Enric Vidala,b, Juan Carlos Espinosac, Samanta Gilera,b, Montserrat Ordñeza,b, Guillermo Canteroa,b, Vincent Bringued, Justin J. Greenleee, and Juan Maria Torresc

aUnitat mixta d'Investigaci IRTA-UAB en Sanitat Animal. Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal (CReSA). Campus de la Universitat Autnoma de Barcelona (UAB), Bellaterra, Catalonia; bIRTA. Programa de Sanitat Animal. Centre de Recerca en Sanitat Animal (CReSA). Campus de la Universitat Autnoma de Barcelona (UAB), Bellaterra, Catalonia; cCentro de Investigacin en Sanidad Animal, CISA-INIA-CSIC, Valdeolmos, Madrid, Spain; dMolecular Virology and Immunology, French National Research Institute for Agriculture, Food and Environment (INRAE), Universit Paris-Saclay, Jouy-en-Josas, France; eVirus and Prion Research Unit, National Animal Disease Center, ARS, United States Department of Agriculture, Ames, IA, USA

Aims: Since variant Creutzfeldt-Jackob disease was linked to the consumption of bovine spongiform encephalopathy prions, the study of the pathobiological features of animal prions, particularly their zoonotic potential, is of great concern to the scientific community and public health authorities. Furthermore, interspecies transmission of prions has been demonstrated as a putative evolutionary mechanism for prions, that can lead to the emergence of new features including the ability to infect humans. For instance, small ruminants' atypical scrapie prions, when propagated in a bovine or porcine host, can shift to a classical BSE phenotype thus posing a potential risk in case of human exposure. So far, no hard evidence of zoonotic transmission of cervids' chronic wasting disease (CWD) to humans has been published, however experimental transmission to bovine, ovine and caprine hosts has been achieved. Our goal is to investigate if, once passaged through these domestic species, CWD prions might become infectious to humans.

Material and Methods: Different CWD isolates experimentally adapted to cattle, sheep and goat (Hamir et al, 2005, 2006, 2007, Greenlee et al 2012) have been intracerebrally inoculated to transgenic mouse models expressing the human cellular prion protein either homozygous for methionine or valine at codon 129 (Tg340-Met129 and Tg362-Val129). Additionally, inocula obtained from experimental transmission of elk CWD to ovinized (Tg501) and bovinized (BoTg110) transgenic mice, as well as white-tailed deer CWD to BoTg110 mice, are currently being bioassayed in both human PrPCtransgenic models.

Results and conclusions: No evidence of transmission has been found on first passage for bovine adapted elk and mule deer CWD to none of the humanized models. The remaining bioassays are ongoing without showing clinical signs yet, as well as second passages for the negative 1stpassages.

Funded by: La Marat de TV3 foundation. Grant number: ATYPRION (201,82130-31-32)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19336896.2022.2091286

OnlyForNow
AG
Jesus bro.

A link

Like one line.

txags92
AG
Apparently there is a town hall going on in TPWD right now and there is more bad news coming regarding positives. Including more positives for the Hunt County breeder. :"Facility 9" there is up to 56 positives (only 53 currently published in the database), and more results are still coming in from testing. Litigation is ongoing with that facility over depopulating the herd and there may already be positives on adjacent ranches that were not release sites. TPWD expects to see positives outside of the containment zones. If you hunt in Hunt county or nearby, I would make sure to test every deer you take and start deciding how you are going to handle it if your deer tests positive.

Looking at the database a little closer, you can see facilities numbered up to "Facility 15" with positives, not including release sites. That is just breeding facilities. 15 facilities with positives and more including breeder release sites, and TPWD STILL won't consider shutting the whole racket down. Just disgusting to me that we are going to let these POSs contaminate all of Texas with this stuff just so they can keep making a profit from antler bros wanting to brag about MUH RACK!!1!!1
flounder9
TEXAS CWD STRAIN

"Wow," he said. "Unlike anything we've seen before."

The prions from the Texas deer were a lot harder to destroy than the ones from the Colorado elk. In fact, the guanidine barely damaged them at all. "We've never seen that before in any prion strain, which means that it has a completely different structure than we've ever seen before," says Zabel. And that suggests that it might be a very different kind of chronic wasting disease. The researchers ran the same test on another Texas deer, with the same results.

TEXAS CWD STRAIN

77. Assessing chronic wasting disease strain differences in free-ranging cervids across the United States

Kaitlyn M. Wagnera, Caitlin Ott-Connb, Kelly Strakab, Bob Dittmarc, Jasmine Battend, Robyn Piercea, Mercedes Hennessya, Elizabeth Gordona, Brett Israela, Jenn Ballarde and Mark D Zabela

aPrion Research Center at Colorado State University; bMichigan Department of Natural Resources; cTexas Parks and Wildlife Department; dMissouri Department of Conservation, 5. Arkansas Game and Fish Commission CONTACT Kaitlyn M. Wagner

ABSTRACT

Background/Introduction: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is an invariably fatal prion disease affecting captive and free-ranging cervids, including white-tailed deer, mule deer, moose, elk, and reindeer. Since the initial description of the disease in the 1960's, CWD has spread to 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, South Korea, Norway and, most recently, Finland. While some outbreaks of CWD were caused by transport of infected animals from endemic regions, the origin of CWD in other epizootics is unclear and has not been characterized. Previous studies have shown that there are two distinct strains of CWD. However, the continuous spread and the unclear origin of several outbreaks warrant continued surveillance and further characterization of strain diversity.

Materials and Methods: To address these knowledge gaps, we used biochemical tests to assess strain differences between CWD outbreaks in Michigan, Texas, Missouri, and Colorado, USA. Brain or lymph node samples were homogenized and digested in 50 g/mL proteinase K (PK). These samples were then run on a Western blot to assess glycoform ratio and electrophoretic mobility. Texas samples were digested in 100 g/mL PK. To assess conformational stability, brain or lymph node homogenates were incubated in increasing concentrations of guanidine hydrochloride from 0 M to 4 M in 0.5 M increments. Samples were then precipitated in methanol overnight, washed and PK digested in 50 g/mL PK before slot blotting.

Results: Our results have found significant differences in glycoform ratio between CWD from Michigan and Colorado, but no differences were observed in conformational stability assays. Interestingly, when testing our CWD isolates from Texas to analyse electrophoretic mobility and glycoform ratio, we found that these samples did not exhibit the characteristic band shift when treated with PK, but PK resistant material remained. Additionally, results from our conformational stability assay demonstrate a unique profile of these Texas isolates. Testing of samples from Missouri is currently underway.

Conclusions: Thus far, our data indicate that there are strain differences between CWD circulating in Michigan and CWD in Colorado and provide important insight into CWD strain differences between two non-contiguous outbreaks. We have also identified a unique strain of CWD in Texas with biochemical strain properties not seen in any of our other CWD isolates. These results highlight the importance of continued surveillance to better understand this devastating disease. These results have important implications for CWD emergence, evolution and our understanding of prion strain heterogeneity on the landscape.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19336896.2019.1615197

The disease devastating deer herds may also threaten human health

Scientists are exploring the origins of chronic wasting disease before it becomes truly catastrophic.

Rae Ellen Bichell

Image credit: David Parsons/Istock

April 8, 2019

This story was published in collaboration with the Mountain West News Bureau, a collaboration between Wyoming Public Media, Boise State Public Radio in Idaho, KUER in Salt Lake City and KRCC and KUNC in Colorado.

SNIP...

One day in late February, in their laboratory in Fort Collins, Colorado, Wagner and Zabel compared the prions from the brains of CWD-infected deer in Texas with those of elk in Colorado. They want to know if the proteins were all mangled in the same way, or not. "If they are different, this would suggest that we have different strain properties, which is evidence as we're building our case that we might have multiple strains of CWD circulating in the U.S.," says Wagner.

Step one is to see if they're equally easy to destroy using a chemical called guanidine. The shape of a prion dictates everything, including the way it interacts with an animal's cells and the ease with which chemicals can unfold it.

"Moment of truth," said Wagner, as she and Zabel huddled around a computer, waiting for results to come through. When they did, Zabel was surprised.

The prions from the Texas deer were a lot harder to destroy than the ones from the Colorado elk. In fact, the guanidine barely damaged them at all. "We've never seen that before in any prion strain, which means that it has a completely different structure than we've ever seen before," says Zabel. And that suggests that it might be a very different kind of chronic wasting disease. The researchers ran the same test on another Texas deer, with the same results.

Now, these are only the preliminary results from a few animals. Wagner and Zabel have a lot more experiments to do. But if future tests come to the same conclusion, it would support their hypothesis that there are multiple strains of chronic wasting disease out there, all with different origins. That, in turn, could mean that this disease will become even trickier to manage than it already is.

And, Zabel adds, there's something else. "If it's still evolving, it may still evolve into a form that could potentially, eventually affect humans," he says.

Zabel is not the only one worried about that possibility.

OSTERHOLM, THE EPIDEMIOLOGIST from Minnesota, is also concerned. He directs the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, and is serving a one-year stint as a "Science Envoy for Health Security" with the U.S. State Department. In February, he told Minnesota lawmakers that when it comes to chronic wasting disease, we are playing with fire. "You are going to hear from people that this is not going to be a problem other than a game farm issue. You're going to hear from people that it's not going to transmit to people, and I hope they're right, but I wouldn't bet on it," he said. "And if we lose this one and haven't done all we can do, we will pay a price."

If that wasn't warning enough, he added: "Just remember what happened in England."

He was talking about mad cow disease. Decades ago, Osterholm got involved in studying the potential for the newly emerging condition bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE for short to be transmitted to humans.

At that point, researchers had yet to document a prion disease in animals that could infect people. They did, however, have a few pieces of the puzzle. For one, work in Papua New Guinea had shown that people could transmit prion diseases to each other if they practiced cannibalism, especially of the brain-eating variety. They also knew that BSE was spreading quickly between cattle. Osterholm says he and others worried that the more widespread it became, the more chances it might have to change into something that could sicken people.

"A lot of people thought that it was an overreaction," says Osterholm. "Then, of course, in 1996, 10 years later, we recognized that in fact transmission had occurred." Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, as the illness is called when it appears in human beings, has infected about 230 people worldwide. Osterholm says he feels like he's having dj vu, except that instead of mad cow, now it's chronic wasting disease that's spreading in animals, with the potential to cross the species barrier to infect humans.

SNIP...SEE FULL TEXT;

https://www.hcn.org/articles/wildlife-the-disease-devastating-deer-herds-may-also-threaten-human-health-science

***> TEXAS BREEDER DEER ESCAPEE WITH CWD IN THE WILD, or so the genetics would show?

OH NO, please tell me i heard this wrong, a potential Texas captive escapee with cwd in the wild, in an area with positive captive cwd herd?

apparently, no ID though. tell me it ain't so please...

23:00 minute mark

''Free Ranging Deer, Dr. Deyoung looked at Genetics of this free ranging deer and what he found was, that the genetics on this deer were more similar to captive deer, than the free ranging population, but he did not see a significant connection to any one captive facility that he analyzed, so we believe, Ahhhhhh, this animal had some captive ahhh, whatnot.''

Biologists Stress Testing Harvests for Chronic Wasting Disease During Deer Season
Dec. 2, 2022
Media Contact: Business Hours, 512-389-8030

https://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20221202b

https://chronic-wasting-disease.blogspot.com/2021/07/tahc-409th-commission-meeting-june-29.html
flounder9
TEXAS CHRONIC WASTING DISEASE CWD TSE PRION TOTALS JUMP TO 444 CONFIRMED TO DATE

CWD Positives in Texas

CWD Positive

Confirmation Date Free Range/Captive County Source Species Sex Age

N/A Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 5.5
2022-12-16 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 4.5
2022-12-16 Breeder Release Site Uvalde Facility #3 White-tailed Deer Unknown 6.0
2022-12-16 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.5
2022-12-16 Free Range Medina N/A White-tailed Deer M 4.5
2022-12-16 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 4.5
2022-12-16 Free Range Dallam N/A Mule Deer M 1.5
2022-12-15 Breeder Release Site Medina N/A White-tailed Deer F 6.5
2022-12-15 Breeder Release Site Uvalde Facility #3 White-tailed Deer Unknown 5.0
2022-12-15 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.5
2022-12-15 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.5
2022-12-15 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.4
2022-12-15 Breeder Deer Gillespie Facility #14 White-tailed Deer F 6.4
2022-12-15 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.4
2022-12-15 Breeder Release Site Uvalde Facility #3 White-tailed Deer Unknown 5.5
2022-12-15 Breeder Release Site Uvalde Facility #3 White-tailed Deer Unknown 5.5
2022-12-09 Free Range Medina N/A White-tailed Deer M 4.5
2022-11-29 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 1.2
2022-11-29 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer F 3.5
2022-11-11 Breeder Release Site Kaufman Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 4.5
2022-11-07 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.2
2022-11-07 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 4.5
2022-10-31 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.1
2022-10-31 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.3
2022-10-31 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.4
2022-10-31 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.4
2022-10-31 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.3
2022-10-28 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.3
2022-10-28 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 3.3
2022-10-28 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 1.2
2022-10-21 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer M 7.5
2022-10-13 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 1.2
2022-10-13 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.3
2022-10-13 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 4.2
2022-10-13 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.3
2022-10-12 Breeder Deer Limestone Facility #15 White-tailed Deer F 3.3
2022-09-28 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.2
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Gillespie Facility #14 White-tailed Deer M 1.2
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.2
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.2
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.2
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.3
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 4.2
2022-09-20 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 6.2
2022-09-13 Breeder Deer Limestone Facility #15 White-tailed Deer F 3.2
2022-09-13 Breeder Deer Limestone Facility #15 White-tailed Deer F 3.2
2022-09-12 Breeder Deer Limestone Facility #15 White-tailed Deer F 3.2
2022-09-12 Breeder Deer Limestone Facility #15 White-tailed Deer F 3.2
2022-08-30 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer M 2.5
2022-08-30 Free Range Dallam N/A Mule Deer M 5.5
2022-08-30 Breeder Deer Gillespie Facility #14 White-tailed Deer M 1.0
2022-08-15 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 2.2
2022-08-10 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.1
2022-07-19 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 3.9
2022-07-19 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 1.8
2022-07-19 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 2.1
2022-06-09 Breeder Deer Duval Facility #13 White-tailed Deer F 1.8
2022-05-27 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer M 3.5
2022-05-25 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer M 4.5
2022-04-21 Breeder Release Site Medina Facility #4 White-tailed Deer M 4.5
2022-04-21 Breeder Release Site Medina Facility #4 White-tailed Deer M 4.5
2022-04-07 Free Range El Paso N/A Mule Deer F 4.5
2022-04-07 Free Range Hudspeth N/A Mule Deer M 8.5
2022-02-28 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 1.9
2022-02-18 Breeder Deer Kimble Facility #6 White-tailed Deer Unknown 3.5
2022-01-25 Free Range Medina N/A White-tailed Deer F 5.5
2022-01-12 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer M 1.5
2022-01-12 Breeder Deer Hunt Facility #9 White-tailed Deer F 3.5
2022-01-12 Breeder Release Site Medina Facility #3 Red Deer F 4.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A White-tailed Deer M 3.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 5.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 4.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 5.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer F 3.5
2022-01-12 Breeder Deer Kimble Facility #6 White-tailed Deer Unknown 5.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 3.5
2022-01-12 Free Range Hartley N/A Mule Deer M 7.5
2022-01-10 Free Range Medina N/A White-tailed Deer M 4.5
2022-01-10 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer M 1.3
2022-01-10 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer M 1.4
2022-01-07 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer M 2.4
2022-01-07 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer F 1.4
2022-01-07 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer M 1.4
2022-01-07 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer M 2.4
2022-01-07 Breeder Deer Uvalde Facilities #7 & 8 White-tailed Deer F 1.4

Showing 1 to 100 of 444 entries

tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/diseases/cwd/tracking/#texasCWD

TAHC CWD Summary Minutes of the 414th Commission Meeting November 15, 2022

Summary Minutes of the 414th Commission Meeting 11/15/2022

snip...

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD):

2021 Incident

310 total affected herds

o Seven positive facilities: three facilities in Uvalde, one in Duval, one in Hunt, one in Matagorda, & one in Mason

o 303 Trace herds:

177 Breeder facilities, 117 release sites, four nursing facilities, five DMP sites

o Status:

Released after meeting requirements:

- 164 breeder facilities, 58 release sites/DMPs/nursing facilities

Summary Minutes of the 414th Commission Meeting 11/15/2022

Under a herd plan: three breeder facilities, 23 release sites/DMP

Pending a signed herd plan: three breeder facilities, 44 release sites/DMP

Out of state: eight facilities

2022 Incident

84 total affected herds

o 2 Positive facilities:

Gillespie County Confirmed August 30th

Limestone County Confirmed

o 82 Trace facilities: 22 breeder sites, 59 release sites, and one DMP site

o Status

Released after meeting requirements: seven breeder facilities, 2 release sites

Signed herd plan: nine release sites

Pending a signed herd plan: 15 Breeder facilities, 49 Release sites/DMP

USDA VS review of the Texas CWD HCP UPDATE

o TAHC is working with TPWD to modify the TWIMS database to better support the HCP

o Review of all enrolled herds has begun, and is to be completed by the end of February 2023

snip...

Cooperative Award Award End Budget Rcd $$ Spent Encumbered Need to Spend

21 CWD Depop/Genome Study 9/14/2022 $429,598 $375,032 $375,032 $0 $56,566

21 CWD D4 TX (Depop) 9/14/2022 $274,968 $274,968 $274,968 $0 $0

22 CWD Lng Rnge/Low Energy 8/31/2023 $250,000 $0 $0 $0 $250,000

FY 2022-2023 Collected Fee Revenue:

$9,500 from CWD Inspection was projected, $16,550 was received year to date

snip...

Item 13 Consideration of and Possible Action on Proposed Rules Mr. Jabbar Fahim discussed the following Regulation Proposals:

snip...

b) Chapter 40, Chronic Wasting Disease

The Texas Animal Health Commission (commission) proposes amendments to Title 4, Texas Administrative Code, Chapter 40, Chronic Wasting Disease. The proposed amendments both increase surveillance and reduce the risk of chronic wasting disease (CWD) being spread from areas where it may exist. 40.6 proposed adoption establishes one new containment zone (CZ) 5, expands existing CZ 2 and CZ 3, creates a new surveillance zone (SZ) 8, and modifies existing SZ 5 to either implement or improve surveillance efforts as part of the agency's effort to manage chronic wasting disease (CWD).

snip...

www.tahc.texas.gov/agency/meetings/SummaryCommissionMeetingMinutes-414.pdf

TEXAS CWD STRAIN

TEXAS CWD STRAIN

77. Assessing chronic wasting disease strain differences in free-ranging cervids across the United States

Kaitlyn M. Wagnera, Caitlin Ott-Connb, Kelly Strakab, Bob Dittmarc, Jasmine Battend, Robyn Piercea, Mercedes Hennessya, Elizabeth Gordona, Brett Israela, Jenn Ballarde and Mark D Zabela

aPrion Research Center at Colorado State University; bMichigan Department of Natural Resources; cTexas Parks and Wildlife Department; dMissouri Department of Conservation, 5. Arkansas Game and Fish Commission CONTACT Kaitlyn M. Wagner miedkait@rams.colostate.edu

ABSTRACT

Background/Introduction: Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is an invariably fatal prion disease affecting captive and free-ranging cervids, including white-tailed deer, mule deer, moose, elk, and reindeer. Since the initial description of the disease in the 1960's, CWD has spread to 23 states, 3 Canadian Provinces, South Korea, Norway and, most recently, Finland. While some outbreaks of CWD were caused by transport of infected animals from endemic regions, the origin of CWD in other epizootics is unclear and has not been characterized. Previous studies have shown that there are two distinct strains of CWD. However, the continuous spread and the unclear origin of several outbreaks warrant continued surveillance and further characterization of strain diversity.

Materials and Methods: To address these knowledge gaps, we used biochemical tests to assess strain differences between CWD outbreaks in Michigan, Texas, Missouri, and Colorado, USA. Brain or lymph node samples were homogenized and digested in 50 g/mL proteinase K (PK). These samples were then run on a Western blot to assess glycoform ratio and electrophoretic mobility. Texas samples were digested in 100 g/mL PK. To assess conformational stability, brain or lymph node homogenates were incubated in increasing concentrations of guanidine hydrochloride from 0 M to 4 M in 0.5 M increments. Samples were then precipitated in methanol overnight, washed and PK digested in 50 g/mL PK before slot blotting.

Results: Our results have found significant differences in glycoform ratio between CWD from Michigan and Colorado, but no differences were observed in conformational stability assays. Interestingly, when testing our CWD isolates from Texas to analyse electrophoretic mobility and glycoform ratio, we found that these samples did not exhibit the characteristic band shift when treated with PK, but PK resistant material remained. Additionally, results from our conformational stability assay demonstrate a unique profile of these Texas isolates. Testing of samples from Missouri is currently underway.

Conclusions: Thus far, our data indicate that there are strain differences between CWD circulating in Michigan and CWD in Colorado and provide important insight into CWD strain differences between two non-contiguous outbreaks. We have also identified a unique strain of CWD in Texas with biochemical strain properties not seen in any of our other CWD isolates. These results highlight the importance of continued surveillance to better understand this devastating disease. These results have important implications for CWD emergence, evolution and our understanding of prion strain heterogeneity on the landscape.

www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/19336896.2019.1615197

The disease devastating deer herds may also threaten human health

Scientists are exploring the origins of chronic wasting disease before it becomes truly catastrophic.

Rae Ellen Bichell

Image credit: David Parsons/Istock

April 8, 2019

This story was published in collaboration with the Mountain West News Bureau, a collaboration between Wyoming Public Media, Boise State Public Radio in Idaho, KUER in Salt Lake City and KRCC and KUNC in Colorado.

SNIP...

One day in late February, in their laboratory in Fort Collins, Colorado, Wagner and Zabel compared the prions from the brains of CWD-infected deer in Texas with those of elk in Colorado. They want to know if the proteins were all mangled in the same way, or not. "If they are different, this would suggest that we have different strain properties, which is evidence as we're building our case that we might have multiple strains of CWD circulating in the U.S.," says Wagner.

Step one is to see if they're equally easy to destroy using a chemical called guanidine. The shape of a prion dictates everything, including the way it interacts with an animal's cells and the ease with which chemicals can unfold it.

"Moment of truth," said Wagner, as she and Zabel huddled around a computer, waiting for results to come through. When they did, Zabel was surprised.

Now, these are only the preliminary results from a few animals. Wagner and Zabel have a lot more experiments to do. But if future tests come to the same conclusion, it would support their hypothesis that there are multiple strains of chronic wasting disease out there, all with different origins. That, in turn, could mean that this disease will become even trickier to manage than it already is.

And, Zabel adds, there's something else. "If it's still evolving, it may still evolve into a form that could potentially, eventually affect humans," he says.

Zabel is not the only one worried about that possibility.

OSTERHOLM, THE EPIDEMIOLOGIST from Minnesota, is also concerned. He directs the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, and is serving a one-year stint as a "Science Envoy for Health Security" with the U.S. State Department. In February, he told Minnesota lawmakers that when it comes to chronic wasting disease, we are playing with fire. "You are going to hear from people that this is not going to be a problem other than a game farm issue. You're going to hear from people that it's not going to transmit to people, and I hope they're right, but I wouldn't bet on it," he said. "And if we lose this one and haven't done all we can do, we will pay a price."

If that wasn't warning enough, he added: "Just remember what happened in England."

He was talking about mad cow disease. Decades ago, Osterholm got involved in studying the potential for the newly emerging condition bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE for short to be transmitted to humans.

At that point, researchers had yet to document a prion disease in animals that could infect people. They did, however, have a few pieces of the puzzle. For one, work in Papua New Guinea had shown that people could transmit prion diseases to each other if they practiced cannibalism, especially of the brain-eating variety. They also knew that BSE was spreading quickly between cattle. Osterholm says he and others worried that the more widespread it became, the more chances it might have to change into something that could sicken people.

"A lot of people thought that it was an overreaction," says Osterholm. "Then, of course, in 1996, 10 years later, we recognized that in fact transmission had occurred." Variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, as the illness is called when it appears in human beings, has infected about 230 people worldwide. Osterholm says he feels like he's having dj vu, except that instead of mad cow, now it's chronic wasting disease that's spreading in animals, with the potential to cross the species barrier to infect humans.

SNIP...SEE FULL TEXT;

www.hcn.org/articles/wildlife-the-disease-devastating-deer-herds-may-also-threaten-human-health-science

***> TEXAS BREEDER DEER ESCAPEE WITH CWD IN THE WILD, or so the genetics would show?

OH NO, please tell me i heard this wrong, a potential Texas captive escapee with cwd in the wild, in an area with positive captive cwd herd?

apparently, no ID though. tell me it ain't so please...

23:00 minute mark

''Free Ranging Deer, Dr. Deyoung looked at Genetics of this free ranging deer and what he found was, that the genetics on this deer were more similar to captive deer, than the free ranging population, but he did not see a significant connection to any one captive facility that he analyzed, so we believe, Ahhhhhh, this animal had some captive ahhh, whatnot.''

youtu.be/aoPDeGL6mpQ?t=1384

Biologists Stress Testing Harvests for Chronic Wasting Disease During Deer Season

Dec. 2, 2022

Media Contact: TPWD News, Business Hours, 512-389-8030

tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20221202b

April 22, 2016

Scrapie Confirmed in a Hartley County Sheep

AUSTIN - Texas Animal Health Commission (TAHC) officials have confirmed scrapie in a Hartley County ewe. The ewe was tested by TAHC after the owner reported signs of weight loss and lack of coordination to their local veterinarian. The premises was quarantined and a flock plan for monitoring is being developed by the TAHC and USDA.

"The TAHC is working closely with the flock owner, sharing all of the options for disease eradication," said Dr. David Finch, TAHC Region 1 Director. "We are thankful the producer was proactive in identifying a problem and seeking veterinary help immediately."

Texas leads the nation in sheep and goat production. Since 2008, there have been no confirmed cases of scrapie in Texas. The last big spike in Texas scrapie cases was in 2006 when nine infected herds were identified and the last herd was released from restrictions in 2013.

According to USDA regulations, Texas must conduct adequate scrapie surveillance by collecting a minimum of 598 sheep samples annually. Since USDA slaughter surveillance started in FY 2003, the percent of cull sheep found positive for scrapieat slaughter (once adjusted for face color) has decreased 90 percent.

Scrapie is the oldest known transmissible spongiform encephalopathies, and under natural conditions only sheep and goats are known to be affected by scrapie. It is a fatal disease that affects the central nervous system of sheep and goats. It is not completely understood how scrapie is passed from one animal to the next and apparently healthy sheep infected with scrapie can spread the disease. Sheep and goats are typically infected as young lambs or kids, though adult sheep and goats can become infected.

The most effective method of scrapie prevention is to maintain a closed flock. Raising replacement ewes, purchasing genetically resistant rams and ewes,or buying from a certified-free scrapie flock are other options to reduce the risk of scrapie. At this time the resistant genetic markers in goats have not been identified, therefore it is important to maintain your sheep and goat herds separately.

The incubation period for Scrapie is typically two to five years. Producers should record individual identification numbers and the seller's premise identification number on purchase and sales records. These records must be maintained for a minimum of five years.

Producers should notify the Texas Animal Health Commission (800-550-8242) or the USDA-Austin Office (512-383-2400) if they have an adult sheep or goat with neurologic signs such as incoordination, behavioral changes, or intense itching with wool loss. Producers may order scrapie identification tags by calling 866-873-2824. For more information, please visit our website at:

http://www.tahc.texas.gov/animal_health/scrapie/scrapie.htm

web.archive.org/web/20160607024701/http://www.tahc.texas.gov/news/pr/2016/2016-04-22_TAHCScrapie.pdf

Scrapie: The flock identified in April 2016 remains under quarantine in Hartley County.

www.tahc.texas.gov/agency/meetings/minutes/Minutes_CommMtg_2020-09-22.pdf

Scrapie Field Trial Experiments Mission, Texas, The Moore Air Force Base Scrapie TSE Prion Experiment 1964 How Did CWD Get Way Down In Medina County, Texas?

DISCUSSION

Observations of natural outbreaks of scrapie indicated that the disease spread from flock to flock by the movement of infected, but apparently normal, sheep which were incubating the disease.

There was no evidence that the disease spread to adjacent flocks in the absent of such movements or that vectors or other host species were involved in the spread of scrapie to sheep or goats; however, these possibilities should be kept open...

snip...PLEASE READ THE FULL REPORT ON THE SCRAPIE FIELD TRIAL EXPERIMENTS IN MISSION, TEXAS!!!

http://web.archive.org/web/20030513212324/http://www.bseinquiry.gov.uk/files/mb/m08b/tab64.pdf
txags92
AG
Oh joy, look at all those positive breeder deer. Looks like they have managed to allow CWD to establish a firm foothold in Medina county in the free ranging deer herd. Look for the same to happen in coming years in other counties where deer breeding operations are having significant positives now. Medina was the first area in Texas where CWD was detected outside of the occasional positive in counties in the panhandle and far west Texas where CWD was already present in elk and mule deer. So it had a several year head start over the other more recent counties that TPWD has allowed the breeders to spread CWD. Look for more free range positives in Uvalde, Hunt, Gillespie, etc. in the coming years as the breeders there continue to percolate CWD and spread it to deer surrounding their facilities. At least you won't have to dig for the results though, because I am sure TPWD will issue a press release to let us know about it while they tell us how their testing program is working to protect the deer of the state. All it has worked to do so far is tell us to close the barn door after the disease has already been released...except they keep refusing to close the barn doors that are still letting it spread.
ConfidentAg
AG
So does anything change around Medina?

And do Axis get effected by CWD?
txags92
AG
ConfidentAg said:

If I am not mistaken, I think the breeder site that was the original location where it was detected has been shut down after being completely depopulated and then restocked once and having new positives. TPWD is not specific about locations other than numbering the facilities involved. I believe that facility may now be used by TPWD for TPWD research, but it may be a different one. As far as what changes for Medina, under their current plans, nothing. They are already part of a mandatory surveillance zone (South Central including parts of Medina and Uvalde counties and TPWD has carcass movement and testing limitations/requirements in place for the affected area.
flounder9
ConfidentAg said:

there has been no transmission studies that i am aware of in axis deer ( Axis axis ) deer, but considering the cervid species, i would be willing to bet if transmission studies were done on axis, they would be susceptible to cwd as well...imo...kind regards, terry

Axis deer are legally classified as non-susceptible to CWD in Texas; however, the classification is based on the lack of a positive CWD test result, and not on an investigation into the biological susceptibility to infection with the CWD prion.

Prion. 2021; 15(1): 4452.

Published online 2021 Apr 9. doi: 10.1080/19336896.2021.1910177

PMCID: PMC8043172

PMID: 33834939

Characterization of the prion protein gene in axis deer (Axis axis) and implications for susceptibility to chronic wasting disease

Matthew J. Buchholz,a Emily A. Wright,b Blake A. Grisham,a Robert D. Bradley,b,c Thomas L. Arsuffi,d and Warren C. Conwaya Author information Copyright and License information Disclaimer

ABSTRACT

Axis deer (Axis axis) occur both in captivity and free-ranging populations in portions of North America, but to-date, no data exist pertaining to the species' susceptibility to CWD. We sequenced the prion protein gene (PRNP) from axis deer. We then compared axis deer PrPC sequences and amino acid polymorphisms to those of CWD susceptible species. A single PRNP allele with no evidence of intraspecies variation was identified in axis deer that indicates axis deer PRNP is most similar to North American elk (Cervus canadensis) PRNP. Therefore, axis deer may be susceptible to CWD. We recommend proactively increasing CWD surveillance for axis deer, particularly where CWD has been detected and axis deer are sympatric with native North American CWD susceptible species.

snip...

Definitive evidence such as a positive ELISA or IHC test or a protein misfolding cyclic amplification (PMCA) study of axis deer PrPC is needed to conclusively demonstrate axis deer are capable of contracting CWD. However, this research in combination with other work indicating a wider range of susceptible species than previously known [13,19], suggests axis deer in Texas and Hawaii may be susceptible to CWD, and should be managed as an at-risk species for CWD through the implementation of more formalized CWD surveillance. The proactive establishment of a CWD testing programme in axis deer wherever CWD has been detected in other species may be justified. Areas where axis deer coexist with native North American, CWD susceptible species, namely white-tailed deer, may also be justified. In Texas, coordinated CWD testing for axis deer might be important within previously established CWD surveillance and containment zones, followed by surveillance in areas where CWD may be a concern but not yet detected. Due to geographic isolation from areas where CWD occurs, axis deer populations in Hawaii are likely not high risk for CWD occurrence. However, awareness of the possibility and care should be taken to ensure CWD-infected material/animals does not arrive on the islands.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8043172/#:~:text=Axis%20deer%20are%20legally%20classified,infection%20with%20the%20CWD%20prion.

Experimental oral transmission of chronic wasting disease to red deer (Cervus elaphus elaphus): Early detection and late stage distribution of protease-resistant prion protein

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2808282/

digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1109&context=zoonoticspub

efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2017.4667

efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.2903/j.efsa.2019.5863

efsa.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.2903/j.efsa.2018.5132

Aggie1205
AG
Anyone taken deer to a testing site? What do they require?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.