Outdoors
Sponsored by

42 Question

11,008 Views | 151 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by mpl35
plowboy1065
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
In a game of 42 dominoes a player bids 42 and then the next player to bid also wants to go 42. What happens and which bid should take it?
bcasey03
AG
84. 2 marks
96ags
AG
Just like an auction, 2nd bid must be higher
RED AG 98
AG
42 is one mark. After one mark, all following bids are also only in marks. We play the max one person can bump the bid is two marks. Also means 2 marks is the max opening bid. So after 1 mark, the next person can pass, bid 1 mark, or bid 2 marks.
GSS
RED AG 98 said:

42 is one mark. After one mark, all following bids are also only in marks. We play the max one person can bump the bid is two marks. Also means 2 marks is the max opening bid. So after 1 mark, the next person can pass, bid 1 mark, or bid 2 marks.
Two different people cannot each bid one mark....

And some may run different rules, but two marks is typically the max bid (to open), and each successive bidder can up it by one mark.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
RED AG 98
AG
Yeah I meant 1 or 2 marks above the previous bid.

We play 2 marks is max open bid or the max if the bid is under 42. Then each subsequent bidder can pass, raise by 1 mark or raise by 2 marks.
Ragoo
AG
1 mark - dumb bid unless playing nello
2 marks
Splash - bidder has 3 doubles, 3 mark hand, bidder partner calls trump and leads
Plunge- bidder must have 4 doubles, 4 mark hand
Ogre09
AG
We only raise by 1 mark, but can start at 2. You can also start at Splash for 3 marks.

Nel-o on force bid only.

No Sevens.
GarryowenAg
AG
No splash
No plunge
Forced nelo only
No sevens

Those are the real rules.
agfan2013
AG
A little hard to read, but the "official" chicken rules. Pretty close to how my family and friends play. Low only if forced, can splash/plunge, absolutely no sevens. Oh, and no re-shake, if you are last and nobody else bids you get trapped with the bid.

Ogre09
AG
I play follow me and doubles without requiring a 1 mark bid.
Ragoo
AG
Nello is an acceptable bid at any time in the bidding process. By nature it is a 1 mark hand. The bidder must lose every hand to win. Therefore the bid contract is stronger than any other none 42 bid.
Centerpole90
AG
Ragoo said:

Nello is an acceptable bid at any time in the bidding process. By nature it is a 1 mark hand. The bidder must lose every hand to win. Therefore the bid contractor is stronger than any other none 42 bid.

On nello:

The quoted is my play too, nello anytime. As in other posts above, many people play nello on force bid only - and if you've played with me after a few beers and some good natured ribbing it becomes obvious why. Nello is addictive as hell and nothing is more fun that trying to float those one or two big dominoes by in a nello hand. Once a game gets started down that road everyone is just playing for a nello hand and marks flow like Monopoly money. I don't think it's good form - it's like a conversation devolving into potty humor - but it makes for lively matches.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Username above
agfan2013
AG
What you described is pretty much exactly why our family (and most of the other groups I've played with) only allow nello on a trapped bid. You inevitably end up playing nello way too much in games that allow it. Nello is fun, but not so much when your partner calls it 3 times in a game and that's 3 rounds you sit out plus the other two times your opponent calls it and you barely end up playing actual 42. Making it on forced bid only keeps it more reasonable.
Ogre09
AG
Yup. It's gimmicky. It's a good out to offer the dealer if he's trapped, but otherwise takes away from the game too much.
southernboy1
AG
GarryowenAg said:

No splash
No plunge
Forced nelo only
No sevens

This is how we played in my time
Ol_Ag_02
AG
GarryowenAg said:

No splash
No plunge
Forced nelo only
No sevens

We're done here.
RCR06
AG
Fun conversation. I like reading the different perspectives and rules.

Forced nello only, the only rule I will argue/debate over. Everything else I can take or leave.
WestTxWood88
AG
Ran across this hand playing 42 at Thanksgiving
Q. What's the bid?
hellapark
AG
Have any of y'all played 42 by keeping score rather than using marks? I learned to play this way and didn't play using marks till I got to A&M. Marks are easier to keep track of, esp when beer is involved.

Play to 250, rather than 7 marks.

Lowest bid is still 30, outbid up to 42, the 84. But you get the points you win in you and your partners won hands. Other team gets whatever scraps they manage to pick up.

The fun part is when some one is set. If you set someone, you get their bid and whatever you picked up in setting them. Gives the game a little more strategy on playing defense and keeps people from getting to crazy in bidding when all that's up for grabs is a single mark.

I rarely meet anyone outside my home county that knows how to play this way.
cevans_40
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Q. What's the bid?

JB!98
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Q. What's the bid?

Depends on where my partner and I are in the game. If we are down then it is a one mark hand. If we are up then depends on the bids around me but probably 35. You can be trump set and screwed real quick if they are stacked. I think the 5 off works out in the end though. I have been trump set too many times with a hand like that to not at least have it in the back of my mind.

(Edit) - I love 42 so much. Thanksgiving and Christmas are great because my Dad ('76), my brother, my son ('30), and I sit and play 42 for hours. Just an outstanding game. RIP to my Grandpa who taught me how to play when I was young. He absolutely loved the game as well.
JB!98
AG
hellapark said:

Have any of y'all played 42 by keeping score rather than using marks? I learned to play this way and didn't play using marks till I got to A&M. Marks are easier to keep track of, esp when beer is involved.

Play to 250, rather than 7 marks.

Lowest bid is still 30, outbid up to 42, the 84. But you get the points you win in you and your partners won hands. Other team gets whatever scraps they manage to pick up.

The fun part is when some one is set. If you set someone, you get their bid and whatever you picked up in setting them. Gives the game a little more strategy on playing defense and keeps people from getting to crazy in bidding when all that's up for grabs is a single mark.

I rarely meet anyone outside my home county that knows how to play this way.
I have played it for $$ that way. It does slow down a lot of the crazy 37 type bids and overbids.

I am fortunate to play with some of my dad's '76 dorm mates (Davis Gary) at a dove hunt. When two of them get together they will consistently outbid you just to take it out of your hands. Nothing frustrated me more for a while than having a strong 36 hand and one of them taking it away for 37, and then making it. It is a great strategy if you can rattle the other team into trying to stretch their 31 hands into 34 or 36 because they know they will be overbid. You just have to be patient until their run of luck is over!
RED AG 98
AG
Do y'all play nello? Some games I've played let you specify doubles as lowest in suit which would be pretty good for you here.
hellapark
AG
Yep but it depends on who you're playing with.

I like being able to go nello at any time, some folks only when forced. Technically in nello you can make doubles high, low, or a suit if their own, you would just have to call it before you play your first rock.

Best to lay out all the ground rules before the game. Lots of folks feel strongly about nello.
jejdag
Any of you guys Czech? We always used 'Zebrak' when bidding low...I think the literal translation is 'beggar', but the first time I played with someone, and they bid nello, I didn't know what the hell they were talking about! Neither had I ever heard of splash and plunge. Yeah, I'm old.
Bridge
If I'm starting the bidding, I would bid 31. Otherwise I would probably out bid anyone in front of me.
chickencoupe16
AG
If people are going nello too often, get better at setting them.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
WestTxWood88 said:

Q. What's the bid?

Two Marks all day every day
Thisguy1
How are you winning that 5-0?
Ol_Ag_02
AG
chickencoupe16 said:

If people are going nello too often, get better at setting them.

That's not the point. The point is Nello isn't 42. It's only allowed as force bid for a reason.
JB!98
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Your only hope is to first not get trump set and then to run everything out and play the double 5 then the 5 blank. You could try playing the double 5 early after the trump are gone to try and through people off your trail, but it is risky.

It would also depend on how the count fell. If I see that the only count left is the 5 blank then I know you have it and will try and hold on for dear life to my 5's.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Twos are trumps. Walking 5/0 at end after the double five. You've got three fives already accounted for 5/5; 5/2; and 5/0. And since you've got additional doubles to help draw them out 4/4 and 3/3 (as opposed to having two more 2s as Trumps) I'm taking my chances that I'll be able to walk it.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
This guys gets it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.