Outdoors
Sponsored by

Washing DIRTY Outdoor Clothes: Speed Queen vs Maytag

3,959 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by fixer
Old Sarge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
OB Flat Out Knows Stuff.

Wife and I have a 17 yr old set of Whirlpool Gold Top Load Washer/Dryer with agitator that has been nails. Catch: These were just prior to the beginning of the HE (even top load) government mandated changes. At 17 years and minimal repairs, we know it's just a matter of time and with the "shortages" of what people really look for, we want to be preemptive for when failure comes. That and we are going to purchase a set for "Christmas" since we both use the set.

After extensive research, we had settled on a Maytag set that are new to the market and are pretty hard to get. However, during the research, we discovered the Speed Queen brand. Specifically the TC5 washer and DC5 dryer. These units are VERY much like the Whirlpool set we have in features, but are old school in the fact that they are in fact much like the set we have in that they have less electronics, a full tub fill on demand, and an old school agitator. Not to mention the advertised wash time is actually the same or less for the same type washes. Basically, they have one HE setting and the rest is the washer of 20 years ago with the real agitation missing today. The Speed Queen, much like a Sthil, comes with a bit of a premium price.

So, we are still OK with the Maytags we have selected, and know that the Speed Queen line is a dealer/service only line with a parts/labor 5 year warranty.

However, does anyone on the OB, that has OB dirty clothes, have a TC5 Speed Queen washer or have experience with their products that could lend a word?
Green is the new RED.
OnlyForNow
AG
Aren't speed queens what are normally in washaterias?
dsvogel05
AG
I've had the TC5 for just over a year and it's been awesome. Clothes feel cleaner because it fills all the way to the top with water. It does come at a premium, but from my research, they will routinely last 20 years. Only knock is the size of the wash tub, it's a little small, but the quality makes up for it.
water turkey
Speed Queen is the best in the business.
txaggie02
AG
+1 for Speed Queen
EVA3
AG
SPEED QUEEN
Old Sarge
AG
dsvogel05 said:

I've had the TC5 for just over a year and it's been awesome. Clothes feel cleaner because it fills all the way to the top with water. It does come at a premium, but from my research, they will routinely last 20 years. Only knock is the size of the wash tub, it's a little small, but the quality makes up for it.
The SQ has a 3.2 wash tub, which is the same size as our current WP which 17 years ago was the "tits". We are on 17 yrs with this one. It does good for sure, but time is not on our side. Our son is heavy into HS football, but more so into year round showcase baseball and the basepath dirt is the worst kind of stain.

The newer Maytags coming out had been our research choice, but we found out about the SQ washers in the process and wanted to get some OB experience if available.

Keep the comments coming OB.

TIA
Green is the new RED.
Old Sarge
AG
Their parent brand is the biggest in the washeterias worldwide. But that is industrial.
Green is the new RED.
Old Sarge
AG
While I am at it, for those that have the Speed Queen Washer, do you have the DC5 dryer for the TC5 washer? Comments on those as well.....
Green is the new RED.
JB!98
AG
With the Maytag's there are some that are made in China that are very hard to service down the line. Go to a service guy and he will have a listing of the USA made Maytag's. We had to replace both our washer and dryer last year after we could not find service on the Chinese made Maytag's. We paid a premium for the USA models and they have been great and we know we can get service on them after the warranty is up.

Edit!!!! It was Whirlpool that we had that was made in China. The Maytag's are made in the good old US of A. Sorry.
Old Sarge
AG
Thanks for the comments OB!

Keep them coming, especially for the comments on Speed Queen and Maytag!

OB knows....
Green is the new RED.
one safe place
Hope I don't jinx myself but we have Speed Queen washers and dryers in the laundry at our RV park. In five years we have had to change one heating element in a dryer. Well, and get some bent quarters our of the coin slide, but that is a moron issue and not a Speed Queen issue!
CS78
Use the current one til it dies, buy a $100 20yo one off facebook marketplace, don't stress over warranties, repairs, etc, spend the savings on a hunting or fishing trip. Profit!
BrazosDog02
AG
They don't make a Roper low end model that has an agitator anymore?

I have an old Roper that is now over 20 years old. I repair it when needed but I could never justify the cost of a speed Queen for what it does when there are good cheap machines around. These old ones are super easy to fix. All mechanical. No digital bull crap, and a super load is a billion gallons of water. I wash my greasy overalls in it and they come out clean every time.
Brazos1865
AG
We've had a Speed Queen set (electronic controls) for six or seven years now with zero issues. No more of the garbage front load/HE problems and our clothes are actually clean again. I never could wrap my head around washing virtually waterless. Highly recommend by once/cry once.
Spoony Love
AG
My vote is for Speed Queen. We have the TR7 washer because that is what was available. It's been great.
AggieChemist
AG
So this is how the OB dies... with a thunderous discussion of washing machines.
BurnetAggie99
Have a Speed Queen at the lake cabin. Works well and was a good buy for the lake cabin.

At the house we have Natural Gas powered LG Front Load - LG Washer Model WM4000H and matching LG Dryer Model DLEX4000. Reason we went with LG are has the best warranty 10 yrs lowest repar rate/claims, significantly faster than a typical high-efficiency washer, has WiFi remote connect features with LG ThinQ app, and has the highest varieties of wash/dry settings.
rather be fishing
AG
If we're talking commercial, Speed Queen and Wascomat are both great.
Old Town Ag
AG
AggieChemist said:

So this is how the OB dies... with a thunderous discussion of washing machines.

It died of COVID in 2020!
HalifaxAg
AG
Will never buy another big box washer-dryer again, bought a Speed Queen and loved it.

I don't need bells and whistles...I need clean clothes. Wife feels the same way.

In fact, we dubbed it the Speed ***** because it's mean machine
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Speed Queen. It's not even close. Washing and Drying is the ONLY thing they do. Best warranty in the business.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
HalifaxAg said:

In fact, we dubbed it the Speed ***** because it's mean machine
I'm stealing this.
drred4
Speed Queen. Only have the washer so far, but when the dryer dies getting a SQ for dryer as well. They use much more robust and better parts. You'll understand when you pick up or move around any other brand top load washer and then try to move a SQ.
BlueMiles
AG
Any recommendation on where to buy a Speed Queen - BCS area?
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I purchased mine at Turner's in Navasota. I think Buddy's Appliances also carries Speed Queen.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Another in for Speed Queen was purchased at Turner's as well. Have purchased 3 sets between the family.
CT'97
AG
Whatever you decide on put the 17 year old Whirlpool in storage and prepare to pull them back out in 5 years when whatever you buy now quits working.
Mr. Frodo
AG
+ 1 on speed queen

manufactured n ripon wi ... since 1900's

old school place... a place you'd like your washers made.

visited with the president and he told me they've got old top load units in the r&d lab that simply will not die.

next time we needed a washer and dryer we purchased a speed queen.

no issues.

GrimesCoAg95
AG
I would not recommend the Maytag washers for anything. I am going to assume that you are looking at the Maytag Commercial set. I have them and the dryer is great, but the washer stinks. In fact, mine is broken right now and has been for months.

This is the washer I have, and it is not worth your time. Not only is the washer broken, but the customer service is awful.

https://www.maytag.com/washers-and-dryers/washers/top-load-washers/p.3.5-cu.-ft.-commercial-grade-residential-agitator-washer.mvwp575gw.html?

OP, I hope you have not already bought the Maytag units.
Everyone else, sorry to bump a month-old post.
TRIDENT
AG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But when it does, and can no longer be repaired economically, get a Speed Queen.
aggiec05
AG
We had a front lid LG set that lasted us 11 years. However for 8+ of that we always got a mildew esque smell from our clothes no matter how much we cleaned it and we always left the door open. We even replaced the seal but that bought us less than a year with the smell. While they always worked minutes replacing Dryer wheels we couldn't stand having all our clothes smell.
We were between Speed Queen and the high end LG 9000 series top loads. We tried one of the top end LG top load and it wouldn't clean our clothes worth anything. Returned it to Costco.

We bought the TC7 series washer and Dryer. We love them. Our clothes come out clean, we can choose the amount of water and no more mildew smells. The only downside outside of the price is the washer is much louder in operation than anything else we used. We solve that by closing our laundry room door.

We chose the buy once cry once method. I am happy we did even if I fought my wife on it and was proven wrong with the LG set.
12Power
We recently were in the market because the timer on our 25 year old Maytag stopped working and they do not make the part any longer. Can't even find a refurbished one. The Speed Queen model we looked at seemed like it was built with heavy duty parts to handle commercial work loads. It was about $1200.I didn't want to spend that much so we just bought another Maytag. I do not like these new water conservation machines.
fixer
Maytag washer lasted 5 years. Several broken parts.

Went to speed queen and never going back.

Buy once cry once kinda thing.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.