Outdoors
Sponsored by

.22 Rifle Recommendations

8,009 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jpistolero02
jpistolero02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
For some reason I have never purchased a .22. I thought it would be fun if me and the kids had something fun to plink with. I already have a Thunder Beast Take Down on order. I was looking at the Ruger Target Lite. Does anyone have one or other recommendations for a nice, accurate .22? I am not married to it being a semi-auto. I would prefer to keep the rifle under 1K.
BCStalk
Ruger 10/22 Charger is a fun little gun. Ours ended up with a 16.5" barrel and a stock but the 10" barrel it came with would have been fun with a brace and can.
txags92
AG
S&W M&P15-22. Really fun to plink with and reasonably accurate.
AnScAggie
AG
Browning SA-22
TikkaShooter
Tikka T1X

Incredibly accurate
Under 1K
Comes in a 16" barrel for keeping overall length down with the TBAC in place
Zheinsohn
AG
My Ruger 10/22 if the most accurate gun I own. Love it. Use it to run snares all the time. Rolled out of the ranger going around a turn, tumbled through the rocks and still was dead on. Can't wait to pass it down one day.
Mas89
AG
Marlin 39a golden mountie.
Doc Hayworth
Can't beat a Marlin. I've got a 39A and 39D and wouldn't trade them for anything else.
CS78
Hard to beat a simple 10-22 for plinking.
Marlin39m
Mas89 said:

Marlin 39a golden mountie.

Later known as the Marlin 39M.
bigtruckguy3500
10/22 is very popular, very common, and has lots of accessories and parts. And I don't think it'll be discontinued any time soon. My childhood 22 was only made for a couple years, the Remington viper.

There may be some benefit to getting your kids a bolt action to teach them more deliberate aiming and shooting. Plinking is fun, but can build bad habits when you can run through a mag in a couple seconds.

ccard257
AG
CZ 457/455/452 American or lux depending on your stock shape preference.
AggieOC
AG
I have an old Marlin 60 that my dad gave. It's over 40 years old easy and still shoots good.

I bought a cricket at Academy years ago for my son to use for target practice. My daughter will be using it here pretty soon.
Lonestar-aught-six
ccard257 said:

CZ 457/455/452 American or lux depending on your stock shape preference.

I came here to say this.
FIDO 96
AG
My CZ457 with a can is my favorite combo, but for pure fun, I love shooting my Henry Pump 22. It has an octagonal barrel, brass front bead and nice wood furniture. It's touch of nostalgia in a fun accurate package. You can load it up and shoot all day.
cryption
I've always loved the Ruger 10/22 - lots of aftermarket goodies for it.

But my favorite .22 is the Henry lever action .22. It's a real joy to shoot
96ags
AG
cryption said:

I've always loved the Ruger 10/22 - lots of aftermarket goodies for it.

But my favorite .22 is the Henry lever action .22. It's a real joy to shoot
I kind of thought everybody had at least one of each of those.
meggy09
AG
10/22 or MP 15/22 for semi auto.

Tikka T1x, Bergara B14R, or CZ457 for a bolt gun.

Can't go wrong with any, but I would pick 10/22 just because it's classic and the insane aftermarket. Or the T1x because I like the action over the other two.
cryption
What about 2 10/22s turned into a Gatling gun? I want that

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/05/24/pike-arms-10-22-gatling-gun/
Watchful Ag
AG
FIDO 96 said:

My CZ457 with a can is my favorite combo, but for pure fun, I love shooting my Henry Pump 22. It has an octagonal barrel, brass front bead and nice wood furniture. It's touch of nostalgia in a fun accurate package. You can load it up and shoot all day.

How quiet is it shooting supers?
FIDO 96
AG
Supers are noticeably quieter. Similar to springer pellet gun. I run CCI Quiets…710fps. You hear the firing pin release and impact down range. Good for about 35 yds

I had some match grade subs around 1020fps that were good to 75yd or more
goatchze
AG
How important is it to you that the gun be new?

My favorite 22s that I shoot the most are the Winchester 63 and 67.
Watchful Ag
AG
Are you shooting the 20.5" or 16.5" barrel?

I love the look of the standard American, but I'd prefer to have a 16.5" threaded barrel
Allen76
AG
Progression of gun ownership:
1. Cap Gun
2. Squirt Gun
3. BB Gun
4. Pellet gun, upgrade from #3
5. .22
Sailor
Own several 10/22's, Mark II/III/IV pistols but my fav 22 is my Ruger American bolt 22 with a red dot and a 22 suppressor. Thing is stupid quiet with subsonics - all you hear is the click of the firing pin and impact of the round. Live outside of town, so really nice for dispatching problem critters without making any racket.

Even with high velocity rounds, it is pretty quiet, although you do get the supersonic crack of the round.
EFE
AG
https://christensenarms.com/ranger/
O.G.
Well, since this month is literally 10.22........I think the question sort of answers itself.
Mr. Dubi
If you want uber-accurate, get a CZ 457. If you want accurate, get a good 10/22 or Ruger American Rimfire. If you want to blow through ammo like a redneck millionaire get a cheap 10/22 or M&P 15-22.

To get cloverleafs at 50 yards, you will need a standard velocity ammo that your gun likes (CCI SV works well in most, and cheap) and a good scope.

I own all the above, except the RAR that I sold recently. You can spend from $200 to well over $2500 for a single gun on that list.
BCStalk
Redneck millionaire
jpistolero02
You guys are awesome. In typical outdoor fashion, you guys have me looking at the higher side of what I wanted to spend. Those CZ chassis rifles look pretty dang neat! Having a few really accurate bolt action rifles, I am drifting in that direction for rimfire as well.
TdoubleH
AG
Gotta own a Henry
schmellba99
AG
In no particular order:

Ruger 10/22 - probably the overall best choice considering the popularity of the rifle and the sheer amount of aftermarket add ons, upgrades, etc. for it available. I love mine, the only thing original on it anymore is the receiver and the actual bolt.

CZ Lux - damn good rifles, great triggers and accurate as hell. I bought matching rifles for my girls when they were born and may have more rounds through them than they do.

Marlin 39A - best lever .22, ever. Accurate, smooth action and a damn good trigger.

M&P 22 - can set it up to be almost exactly the same as your AR, so you have the luxury of shooting quieter and cheaper with the same feel and functionality

Now, if you want to go older guns, some of the older Winchester bolt actions were about the best .22's produced in any given time frame. Henry makes the Golden Boy, which is a solid gun but doesn't fit me nearly as well as the 39A does. I have an old Springfield/Savage semi auto that is built like a tank and probably has a quarter million rounds through it, and it still keeps one shooting. The Remington Nylon 66 was one of the most popular .22's ever made as well and can be found with really not that much effort.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Is this a gun to plink with or to shoot out a neighbor's security camera?
meggy09
AG
Surprised nobody's said Vudoo yet.
Mr. Dubi
BCStalk said:

Redneck millionaire
Redneck thousandaire….
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.