Outdoors
Sponsored by

.22 Rifle Recommendations

8,102 Views | 81 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by jpistolero02
Whaler
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When I was making this decision a few years ago, I really wanted an Anshutz. But the price was pretty high for a plinker. I ended up getting a CZ Lux, and I'm pleased with it… pretty dang accurate little gun.
ldg397
AG
I have a full customized 10/22 and it sits in the back of the safe ever since I got the hk416 22lr. Direct thread suppressor and it is great!! I use the standard velocity cci and they are barely subsonic out of it and my buckmark.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Nice
C ROC N
Browning SA-22 takedown Belgium model!!
DatTallArchitect
AG
jpistolero02 said:

You guys are awesome. In typical outdoor fashion, you guys have me looking at the higher side of what I wanted to spend. Those CZ chassis rifles look pretty dang neat! Having a few really accurate bolt action rifles, I am drifting in that direction for rimfire as well.
You can always build your own 10/22 from page ground up as well
cledus6150
AG
I have a Henery H001T, a Christensen Arm Ranger and a Remington 541S, they all shoot great. The Remington though is by far and above the best shooter followed closely by the Christensen which is only shot suppressed. I have built several 10-22's I just always seem to grab the bolt or lever guns instead. If you can find a 541 T or S I would highly recommend picking it up. My dad has a newer production golden 39A and it is still nice but not as nice as his old production 39A. So definitely keep that in mind if you go the route of the 39A.
Mr. Dubi
jpistolero02 said:

You guys are awesome. In typical outdoor fashion, you guys have me looking at the higher side of what I wanted to spend. Those CZ chassis rifles look pretty dang neat! Having a few really accurate bolt action rifles, I am drifting in that direction for rimfire as well.

If you are in BCS, come out to one of the .22 matches at Willowhole and I will bring out my rifles, for you to see and shoot.
jpistolero02
Thanks for the offer. I am in the Austin area but would love to come down and shoot.

I ended up ordering a CZ 457 Pro Varmint. Hopefully it ends up being a good shooter. I will keep you guys posted on the results.
Mr. Dubi
Good choice. I have the chasis model.

You can spend as much as you want on ammo, but out to 100 yards, nothing shoots any better that CCI SV through mine @8cents per round.
CactusThomas
AG
Will it hold those cci sc under an inch at 100?

I use that stuff in my handguns because none of my rifles shoot it particulary well.
agsalaska
AG
I posted this when it happened, but my 11 year old son turned my $1600 Walther KKJ .22 into a $600 Walther KKJ .22 when he knocked it off the table and on to the concrete last summer.

The gunsmith did an awesome job repairing the stock and the blueing. Took it yesterday and this was him at 25 yards.

Still love that rifle. We took the 10/22 too but didn't shoot it for long.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Although you asked about rifles, love my Sig p322 as well. Suppressed. Sick.

And cheaper for handgun practice.

Another dual use of the ammo.
BMC123149
The best I have ever shot Zudoo!
Kyle Field Shade Chaser
AG
I've got a CZ 457 Varmint and a Ruger American. Honestly, you can't go wrong with either brand. Love them both.
Mr. Dubi
CactusThomas said:

Will it hold those cci sc under an inch at 100?

I use that stuff in my handguns because none of my rifles shoot it particulary well.
The CCI SV's did OK out to 100 yards. The Norma Match got about 3/8" for nine shots, but had a 1" flyer, I consistently get one flyer when I shoot this stuff. Eley Club and Federal Target grouped well too. The CCI is my go to for punching paper or plinking with that rifle because it only cost 8 cents vs the 25 cents per round for the others

Ulysses90
AG
My wife bought me an old Winchester 62 for Christmas a couple of years ago that is the most fun to shoot rifle I own. Cycling the pump and the external hammer action are just so satisfying.

I have a Norinco/Interarms knockoff of the Browning SA-22 that is also a lot of fun and has the bottom ejection that is nice if you pick up the brass. I can't believe those things used to sell for $125 at the Service Merchandise.
Lonestar-aught-six
I got my son a CZ 452 as a graduation gift and took it out to sight it in. It's more fun than I've had shooting in a long time. Now we put the target up and shoot at the staples because the bullseye is to large. I highly recommend their rimfires.
Wrecking Crew 21
Henry
Aggie 63
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
How's the accuracy of your hk?
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I have a Ruger precision 22, which I've only shot suppressed, and its one of the most enjoyable ways I've found to spend an afternoon - but its a bit large, if your kids are small.
Watchful Ag
AG
I knew I shouldn't have started following this thread. I knew what was going to happen …

But do I regret it one bit? Absolutely not.

Excited to welcome home our newest family member. The CZ 457 American

BurnetAggie99
My next .22LR will be a Lithgow LA101
jpistolero02
That's awesome! Let us know how it shoots. I am still waiting on mine.
aggiec05
AG
Thanks again for the ruger american 22. My 10yr son loves it and claims it's his now. It is more accurate than either of us and now with the addition of a suppressor it is so much fun to shoot.

Still love my the handed down Winchester lever action 22. I shot thousands of rounds through as a kid my sons age. Now I want to get it threaded to attach the suppressor to it as well.

Still want to get a 10/22 takedown in stainless threaded and a 15/22 at some point.
jpistolero02
Finally got my rifle in. I went ahead and tweaked the trigger and got the scope mounted up. I love the way it feels and the handiness of it. I will try and get a range report this weekend.

Wrecking Crew 21
Get a Henry pump!
Aggie 63
MosesHallEnforcer
AG
This thread inspired me. Got a new Tacsol xring vr takedown xrt trigger with kyrptek highlander stock. Really cool rifle and very lightweight. Trying to figure out an optic but thinking of just going red dot to keep it light so it fits well in my pack when taken down.
MouthBQ98
AG
While we are on the topic, what is an affordable way to suppress my ruger 10/22 for quiet target shooting? I know there are integrated barrel suppressor options. Also, where does one go to get the paperwork for one? As it turns out, my horse isn't overly fond of gunfire, so I'd like to be kind to it when I practice.
jpistolero02
Mouth, I am sure plenty of people can chime in with suppressor suggestions. I got a Thunder Beast Takedown. The process is not bad at all if you work with guys like Capital Armory or The Silencer Shop. Also, once you are in their system, ordering another suppressor is super simple and you don't have to leave your computer.
Aggietaco
AG
To avoid starting a new thread, is there a 22 bolt or lever out there with supressor height irons?

I had planned to have the barrel in my dad's Rem 514 cut and threaded, but decided against that since I'd have to drill and tap the receiver for a scope mount and will not just keep it original.

If there aren't any options with tall iron sights, anything with elevated peep sights?
Mr. Dubi
If you use a dedicated.22 suppressor, most of them are right at 1" OD, so I think most factory sights would clear that
C ROC N
Ulysses90 said:

My wife bought me an old Winchester 62 for Christmas a couple of years ago that is the most fun to shoot rifle I own. Cycling the pump and the external hammer action are just so satisfying.

Look the history of those old Win model 62, I have one from my great grandfather, great shooting gun open sight!

I have a Norinco/Interarms knockoff of the Browning SA-22 that is also a lot of fun and has the bottom ejection that is nice if you pick up the brass. I can't believe those things used to sell for $125 at the Service Merchandise.
Aggietaco
AG
Mr. Dubi said:

If you use a dedicated.22 suppressor, most of them are right at 1" OD, so I think most factory sights would clear that
I was going to use a dowel to mock up the Rem 514, but sort of holding it in place made it seem like the factory sights would be about even with the 1.07" dia Sparrow22 I've got.
ShouldastayedataTm
Mr. Dubi said:

jpistolero02 said:

If you are in BCS, come out to one of the .22 matches at Willowhole and I will bring out my rifles, for you to see and shoot.

I have made the drive over to Willow Hole from Bastrop a couple of times and once from Lockhart. Long way, but had a blast all three times. Good folks out there, I need to get out there again.
RCR06
AG
My 22 suppressor came in a few weeks ago. Dead Air mask 22. To get my 10/22 barrel threaded it was gonna be around $125. Decided for a little bit more I could get a tac sol threaded barrel. Better barrel and already threaded, win win. Tac sol barrel comes in and I think this thing seems a lot thicker than the original barrel. Whatever, I start taking off the original barrel as I'm watching/listening to a YouTube video explaining the process. I stop the video every so often to complete the previous step in the process. After getting the new barrel onto the receiver I start putting it in the stock and immediately realize this isn't going to fit. As the guy in the video mentions you will need a new stock to fit this barrel as it won't fit in the original stock. Well crap. To the internet I go and I decide on the magpul hunter. Just wanted to put a suppressor on it. Now I have an almost completely different gun.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.