Outdoors
Sponsored by

Should there be tighter standards in raising livestock and poultry?

2,244 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by BrazosDog02
Paul Dirac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Surely we want SOME ethical standards but how much?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-grapples-animal-welfare-122506229.html
harge57
AG
Short Answer: No

Long answer: we already have basic food safety standards. let the market demand better treatment of animals if that is what some people want. i.e. pasture raised designations etc. The government should absolutely not make wide sweeping regulations that meet the requirements of the fringe demands.
BenderRodriguez
AG
"Should the govt…."?

"No."

Unless its something you want horribly managed, made worse or destroyed completely, our federal govt shouldn't be put in charge of it. Whatever that it may be.
txrancher69
AG
Whatever is done along these lines should also apply to foreign competitors. If they can't comply with California restrictions they should not be able to export to this country. California being the state most of this BS comes from. Why should we have endless traceability on our individual animals yet allow Brazil or Australia to send literally thousands of tons of meat our way without the same requirements?
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
JSKolache
AG
Any rules resulting in less bacon must be summarily rejected.
SunrayAg
AG
Every major producer should just stop selling pork in commiefornia.
ranchag04
AG
States rights. Let those bast**ds starve themselves.
ToddyHill
AG
I worked in the meat industry for several years. First, there are MANY Federal laws on the books regarding Animal Welfare. As it pertains to USDA, many of the federal gov't decision makers come from the industry, so many of the rules on the books are developed by people who worked first hand with livestock.

The California rule is just terrible because it does not take into account the safety of the piglets if the sow wasn't in a crate. Morbidity can occur as a 600 pound sow could easily crush a piglet if she wasn't in a crate. Further, sows, at times, can be cannibalistic and will literally eat their young (it's rare, but it does occur). A crate provides protection.

Many, if not all, of these animal rights activists don't understand that producers or packers are not hell bent on stressing their livestock. Stress an animal up to the point of slaughter and the quality of the finished product will be affected.

Unfortunately, many of these California lawmakers don't follow the science, but are led by their emotions.

I would bet many, if not all, have never heard of Dr. Temple Grandin, who set the standard for the Animal welfare practiced in industry today.

ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

Unless its something you want horribly managed, made worse or destroyed completely, our federal govt shouldn't be put in charge of it.
That was the situation in the meat packing industry in the early 20th Century. Upton Sinclair's novel, The Jungle, led to the passage of the Meat Inspection Act.
96ags
AG
ToddyHill said:

I worked in the meat industry for several years. First, there are MANY Federal laws on the books regarding Animal Welfare. Further, as it pertains to USDA, many of the federal gov't decision makers come from the industry, so many of the rules on the books are developed by people who worked first hand with livestock.

The California rule is just terrible because it does not take into account the safety of the piglets if the sow wasn't in a crate. Morbidity can occur as a 600 pound sow could easily crush a piglet if she wasn't in a crate. Further, sows, at times, can be cannibalistic and will literally eat their young (it's rare, but it does occur). A crate provides protection.

Many, if not all, of these animal rights activists don't understand that producers or packers are not hell bent on stressing their livestock. Stress an animal up to the point of slaughter and the quality of the finished product will be affected.

Unfortunately, many of these California lawmakers don't follow the science, but are led by their emotions.

I would bet many, if not all, have never heard of Dr. Temple Grandin, who set the standard for the Animal welfare practiced in industry today.

This times 1000.

The ignorance of basic agriculture is stunning at times.
agfan2013
AG
Absolutely not. As already said it will just add more govt inefficiencies and won't accomplish anything. Industry people will tell you it's likely more dangerous for the piglets anyways. Not sure why the animal welfare people don't get that healthy, well cared for animals = more production no matter what industry you are in, and most businesses are trying to make money so therefore it's in their best interest to look after their livestock humanely which is what they already do...

Wanted to respond to a couple things separately though:

Quote:

Why should we have endless traceability on our individual animals yet allow Brazil or Australia to send literally thousands of tons of meat our way without the same requirements?

Can't speak to Brazil, but I just spent 2 weeks in Australia this year and they actually have some of the highest traceability standards out there. Every single head of cattle (and pork too if im remembering right) is required to have a continuous ear tag from the ranch, through the feed yard, to the slaughterhouse. I'm not disagreeing with your overall point, but just saying they do have extremely high traceability in that country.

Quote:

Every major producer should just stop selling pork in commiefornia.

Again, I agree but the problem is you lose a ton of market potential (almost 12% of US population). Californians know this and that's why they try to leverage crap like this to force others to be "progressive" like they are. Lots of businesses hate their extra laws but don't want to lose out on the business.

Apache
AG
Quote:

California lawmakers don't follow the science, but are led by their emotions.

They also banned lion hunting because it's "cruel." The state loses a revenue source & free population control, so now they pay people to kill problem lions. That's ok because no hunting.

California also banned bobcat hunting & fur trapping.

It won't be long before they can't hunt bears either.
ToddyHill
AG
Quote:

I just spent 2 weeks in Australia this year and they actually have some of the highest traceability standards out there.
You are spot on Sir. Australia has been a world leader for many years. Further, their sanitation practices are exceptional. Years ago, I was in Canada and checked out the meat case at a local grocery store. They had refrigerated, portioned-cut, vacuum packaged Australian steaks with a 90 day shelf life. Incredible.
TX_COWDOC
AG
Brilliant idea

Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Traceability seems like a good idea. Some of the push for that is all the third world food sources - megacorps especially like them - most small folks don't want the risk of using them.

PRC has been pushing hard to get into the US food supply - once they do, contamination is pretty well guaranteed.

goatchze
AG
Just let them market the meat with separate labels and allow consumers to decide what they're willing to pay for.

Happened with eggs a long time ago with "free range" and "cage free".
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Pretty sure this is directly in opposition to not blocking interstate commerce.

Cannot see how the appellate court upheld the decision.

What's to prevent Florida from passing laws requiring all citrus in the state be subjected to regular hurricane, to effectively ban citrus from CA and AZ?
96ags
AG
Tiffany Lashmet touches on this case in one of her recent podcast with Nate Huff.

Ag Law in The Field
schmellba99
AG
96ags said:

ToddyHill said:

I worked in the meat industry for several years. First, there are MANY Federal laws on the books regarding Animal Welfare. Further, as it pertains to USDA, many of the federal gov't decision makers come from the industry, so many of the rules on the books are developed by people who worked first hand with livestock.

This times 1000.

The ignorance of basic agriculture is stunning at times.
A whole lot of the population - hell, a majority of it - has absolutely zero exposure to anything ag related, whether that be livestock, poultry or farming. Easy to be ignorant when it has never once been any component of your life.

Lack of exposure and knowledge breeds ignorance, which leads to stupid laws like this being proposed and, unfortunately, all too often passed.
BrazosDog02
AG
I'm confused on what the problem is.

Ag is a daily part of our life from cattle to chickens to crops. I think we, as a civilized society, have a moral responsibility to raise animals ethically and humanely. I have no problem with California laws on that. I encourage them. Why can't California simply set their requirements and leave it up to the producers as to whether they want to sell to California?

It seems pretty straightforward. If you don't want to comply with their laws then you'll have to sell your meat elsewhere. And if California wants to force that on others then it seems they need to grow their own.

If I was a pork producer, then I'd tell them to get bent and just give up that market. Either that or comply. California would eventually have to decide on starving or relaxing laws right?

Either that, or make the necessary changes and sell them $75 packs of bacon. Lol.
schmellba99
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I'm confused on what the problem is.

Ag is a daily part of our life from cattle to chickens to crops. I think we, as a civilized society, have a moral responsibility to raise animals ethically and humanely. I have no problem with California laws on that. I encourage them. Why can't California simply set their requirements and leave it up to the producers as to whether they want to sell to California?

It seems pretty straightforward. If you don't want to comply with their laws then you'll have to sell your meat elsewhere. And if California wants to force that on others then it seems they need to grow their own.

If I was a pork producer, then I'd tell them to get bent and just give up that market. Either that or comply. California would eventually have to decide on starving or relaxing laws right?

Either that, or make the necessary changes and sell them $75 packs of bacon. Lol.
Because producers aren't going to willingly give up 25% of the market. So they are going to follow stupid guidelines that have no basis in any actual ag practice and are instead 100% feels....which means prices across the board are going to increase as a result.

So F California and their idiocy, especially if it means my bacon cost increases. I have enough cost increases to deal with, but ones that are stupid like this are the ones that absolutely piss me off.
reproag
AG
How about we just don't sell to California and let supply their own pork with what ever regulations they want. I would love to see how that plays out.
BrazosDog02
AG
That's what Schmelbas point was. Those producers want to play the game but they don't want to pay the price to do it. Personally, I don't care, I think California as a state should be Abel to set their own laws, and if it results in better treatment of food animals, even better. At that point, California will either lose their pork and chicken supply or producers will jack up the cost to offset costs associated with the new regulations. Or, better yet, set an extra fee for all products going to California. Either way, the producers aren't losing a penny.

Bacon and eggs are like gasoline at 5 bucks a gallon. People will ***** and moan and cry up and down Facebook but come Monday morning, they'll be swiping that card and filling up anyway.

For us,some people ***** about 5 dollar a dozen eggs but most happily pay for it. My market is not ****ty people that like ****ty low quality eggs raised from caged chickens. They want big ass rich eggs from free range birds and those cost me a lot of expense. And by the end of the year those will be 10 bucks a dozen and so far no one has balked at that. The market in California will work itself out either way.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.