Outdoors
Sponsored by

Close call

6,832 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by ralph48
BigHead 04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I love the outdoor board and mostly lurk, with a few posts here and there. One of my favorite aspects of this board is sharing of information and experience. In some cases, like this one, we share so that others may avoid misfortune. Or just laugh at them. Maybe this is both.

Like many here, I religiously listen to meateater, as does my 10 year old son. We heard ads last week for the audio books about close calls and decided to check it out. Burned through the first one pretty quick and picked up the 2nd one. Both have some good stories and lessons to learn. I think one thing we both picked up on is the need to have a first aid kit always (something we are working on) and simple medical knowledge and how to use it. I definitely take this for granted being a family with two physicians. We know what to do for most things, but need to spend more time teaching our kids the basics, at a minimum!

So fast forward to Saturday. We have a place in SW Mason county and are nearing completion on a barndo build there. So Saturday my wife and I loaded up my f250 bed with three boxed mattresses (the kind you get on Amazon), two giant bean bag loungers, a wooden mud bench, a box of unassembled bar stools, and a floor lamp (more on that one below). I packed the rear cab seats full of other stuff. I loaded everything Friday night so we could head out early. Initially the cab was so full I couldn't see the load, so I rearranged out of habit. I tied down with some light cordage since most everything was heavy in the bed.

We head out Saturday from Spicewood and leave our three kids behind, which is rare as they always want to go too. It's an hour drive from our place in Marble Falls and goes by uneventfully. We swing by la copa Joe for some coffee in town and wait in drive through line 5 minutes or so, then take off for the last 15 minutes down 1871.

About a mile past Mason HS, I notice dust flying up out of my bed in the rear view which seems odd, since we've been on the road over an hour. I keep staring at this dust trying to reason what might be shifting in the bed. Then the entire rear view mirror image turns yellow. It's a flame!

I screamed several expletives and said babe the truck is on fire call 911. I pull over immediately and we bail. I expect to see the truck in flames, but peek in the bed as I'm running by and it's the mattresses on fire. Without thinking I dropped the tailgate, jumped inside, and started hurling flaming **** into the road and bar ditch. By the grace of God I got only minor burn on my arm in the process. Maybe some on my toes wearing flip flops. I pull the truck up a few feet and keep checking it just to make sure, because at this point my brain is still thinking the truck started this. I left it running. The whole time my wife is on the phone with dispatch trying to give them the play by play. She is directionally challenged to say the least, so I'm yelling directions at her to get the VFD to us. She is also pouring whatever liquids we have on me and on the flames while I'm hurling stuff out, to no avail.

Now that the truck seems safe, we have 100 sqft or so of grass fire and burning mattresses. Thankfully we are stopped right in front of one of the last houses that sit right at the highway on the way out of town. I bang on the door like a mad man and a class of '67 Old Ag answers. Thankfully he did not come out firing! We grab some buckets from his shed and start filling from his hose. Now the flames have moved back near my truck so I scream for my wife to move it again, into this old ags yard. Me and another passerby play fire brigade until the VFD gets there maybe 5 minutes later and finishes the job. Then they were gone just as quick as they got there.

It could have been a hell of a lot worse. The fact I could see the load in my rearview saved my truck, if not our lives. Those mattresses lit up so damn fast that a few seconds more would have engulfed the truck. I don't know how fast we would be able to get my 7 and 10 year old out to safety, though that obviously would have been priority if they were with us. My tie downs were melted, otherwise I would have been stuck in the bed of a burning truck in flip flops trying to toss stuff out. I would have had no idea how to get my tailgate down if the wiring had been fried from the heat. And about a mile further down the road we have no cell service and no homes nearby to run to.

TLDNR version. **** happens even on a lazy Saturday drive. Have a plan. Have a fire extinguisher. Wear clothing, specifically shoes, that you can run for your life in. Have a first aid kit. Know how to use it. And make sure your family or passengers know how also. It's there to save them AND you! Know where you are in case you need EMS. Know where you can get help if you can't get EMS.

And if all else fails, and you're going to burn to death, have your wife throw an iced Carmel macchiato on you. At least you will smell like creme brulee when you meet St Peter!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SMM48
AG
Insane
Jabin
Good post. Have you figured out what started the fire yet?
OXDL45
AG
Wow! Glad you are okay. Crazy stuff!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
So, I guess your plan to leave the kids at home and try out the new mattress didn't work out for you, huh?
zachsccr
AG
I've unboxed two of those type mattresses in the past year and they both seemed to have a lot of static electricity to them. Wonder if the moving/shifting in the bed mixed with heat and dry air managed to take a little spark and make it something? That's certainly a freak thing and glad you're ok!
Gunny456
AG
Well sounds like they definitely got a new fire started. Had a very "hot" time.
Ag_07
AG
That GD Jeff Bezos!!!

J/K...Glad everyone is safe and thanks for sharing. Very good tips as I'm guilty of stripping off the lease boots and jumping in the truck with flips flops on.
water turkey
Dayum, that is scary. Glad y'all are ok.

How many guys here carry a fire extinguisher in their truck? Been thinking about that.
BigHead 04
AG
Jabin said:

Not really. We all kept thinking maybe a cigarette butt from someone passing.

But that brings me back to the lamp. It's like this one here:

https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/stacked-crystal-floor-lamp/

And my theory now is that the crystal balls acted like a magnifying glass and ignited the cardboard while we were sitting still waiting for coffee.
Then when we got up to speed it fanned the ember. Maybe. Who knows.

And yes the plan was to break in the new place with the wife. At least I know the spark is still there!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bam02
AG
I've got one mounted right inside my tailgate
AgsMnn
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

So, I guess your plan to leave the kids at home and try out the new mattress didn't work out for you, huh?

Oh I do believe there was a fire under the covers. But not the fire he wanted.

And props on sandals, if it was Giddings, his crocs would have melted to the truck bed and himself.

River Bass
I keep a fire extinguisher in the tool box in my bed, but in this situation I wouldn't have been able to get to it.
I'm going to look into getting a small one that I can keep in the cab.

The only time I wear sandals is at the pool.
You never know when an emergency will come up and you need to run, fight, climb, kick, etc.

mosdefn14
AG
Crazy story. Glad everyone is safe.

So was your directionally-challenged MD wife able to provide GPS coordinates or did the 3 words come in handy?

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3301746/1
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Wear clothing, specifically shoes, that you can run for your life in.
It always amazes me to see people in flip flops or women in high heels on an airplane. Yes, the chance of a crash or emergency evac is very, very small. But it's not zero.
Furlock Bones
AG
In the off-road community, we discuss fire extinguishers regularly. You don't want to use it. But you want it when you need it.

keep the fire extinguisher in a spot you can access it quickly. It's no good to have a fire extinguisher if you can't get to it in literal seconds. In your tool box mixed with a bunch of crap doesn't cut it.
SPF250
AG
An Ag buddy manages a large venue. He preaches knowing where your exits are and wearing shoes you can run in. Glad OP, Ms OP and even OP's truck are all good. The rest can be easily replaced.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Quote:

Wear clothing, specifically shoes, that you can run for your life in.
It always amazes me to see people in flip flops or women in high heels on an airplane. Yes, the chance of a crash or emergency evac is very, very small. But it's not zero.
the reason for no flips on a plane doesn't have anything to do with running away, cause you are dying in a crash. You don't wear flips cause walking through security barefoot where 20,000 nasty morons have just walked is just gross.
CanyonAg77
AG
Furlock Bones said:

In the off-road community, we discuss fire extinguishers regularly. You don't want to use it. But you want it when you need it.

keep the fire extinguisher in a spot you can access it quickly. It's no good to have a fire extinguisher if you can't get to it in literal seconds. In your tool box mixed with a bunch of crap doesn't cut it.

I'll also add that it is a waste of time to buy a WalMart or other box store extinguisher. Found that out the hard way, when I had a grass fire from welding, and three totally flat extinguishers.

Bottom line, the valve that holds pressure is plastic, and heating and cooling in a vehicle deforms it over time, leading to a leakdown. Go spend the money for a good extinguisher with a metal valve. Buy several. Put them lots of places.

I don't use a toolbox, so my brackets are on the front wall of the pickup bed, just behind the cab, on driver's side. If I had a toolbox, they would be bolted to the outside of the toolbox.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

cause you are dying in a crash
Not every aircraft incident is a screaming vertical dive into the ground from 40,000 feet. Many people survive a crash, even one that tears the plane apart. See Al Haynes and Sioux City, Iowa. Far more likely is something where you have to haul ass off the plane in a hurry, and maybe use the slides.
MilanoCowboy
AG

The only time I wear sandals is at the pool.
You never know when an emergency will come up and you need to run, fight, climb, kick, etc.

Agree, but I never where sandals. I wear lake shoes now. My wife loved sandals, until she asked me what I thought of her new pair.

I said "Target".
Milano Cowboy
metrag06
AG
Finally got my wife on board with this - dress to egress. No flip flops on a plane.

Glad you're OK, OP!
TdoubleH
AG
God showed up. There are no coincidences in life.
cupofjoe04
AG
Thanks for sharing- crazy story!

I'm sure it would be hard to figure out what started it in that scenario.

I had a similar, though less dramatic experience. As a young newly-married 20 something, my wife and I got a cheap old pontoon boat and fixed it up. We had a very small charcoal grill that clipped to the sides, and we would often take the boat out and cook dinner on the lake. Great times.

One night driving back home on the interstate in North Dallas (it was dark), a truck pulls up beside me and starts motioning and swerving at me. I couldn't figure out what was going on, until I noticed a strange orange glow in my rear view mirror. As I pulled over, the orange glow erupted into flames and a shower of embers began pouring out of the bed of my truck and all over the boat.

Though I had poured some water on it, I realized that I hadn't gotten the charcoal completely out, so the wind reignited it. It was all still in the small round grill, sitting in the bed of my truck. Thanks to the helpful other driver, we caught it before the now spewing embers lit the boat on fire.

Very cheap but very valuable lesson learned.
maroon barchetta
My extinguisher is just behind my seat in the cab of my truck. No flip flops. Can't remember the last time I owned a pair but mostly I think people don't want to look at my feet.

Glad the OP didn't end up with a big grass fire or a truck fire. And glad there was a house nearby with a helpful Ag at home.
Independence H-D
Shoes. My world war II veteran grandfather told me to always take care of your feet. Those were the only things you could count on to get you out of something. I preach to my wife and daughters all the time that flip-flops in the car are worthless. First thing to fly off and get lost. Then you're wading through jagged metal, broken glass and possibly fire to exit. Shoes. In all situations.
76Ag
AG
I never understood how to keep flip flops on my feet. I don't even have any of those things. It was my wife that told me to wear good shoes on an airplane.
GentrysMillTX10
AG
Did you know the class of 67 Ag before this incident?
maroon barchetta
Independence H-D said:

Shoes. My world war II veteran grandfather told me to always take care of your feet. Those were the only things you could count on to get you out of something. I preach to my wife and daughters all the time that flip-flops in the car are worthless. First thing to fly off and get lost. Then you're wading through jagged metal, broken glass and possibly fire to exit. Shoes. In all situations.

Was your grandfather Lt. Dan??
BigHead 04
AG
GentrysMillTX10 said:

Nope. Just random coincidence.

The first person to drive up on us was NOT a helpful Ag . I was waving and flailing for help and they sat parked on the road. No big deal. But when she finally pulled up to be a gawker and ask me what happened, the grabbed the sleeve of my maroon Aggie shirt and said "it's cuz your wearin that ugly shirt." Thanks for your help lady!
cupofjoe04
AG
BigHead 04 said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

The first person to drive up on us was NOT a helpful Ag . I was waving and flailing for help and they sat parked on the road. No big deal. But when she finally pulled up to be a gawker and ask me what happened, the grabbed the sleeve of my maroon Aggie shirt and said "it's cuz your wearin that ugly shirt." Thanks for your help lady!

It always amazes me when people try to make jokes (which are usually mildly insulting) with people they barely or don't even know at the most inappropriate times. It's exhausting to me, and something I have to deal with quite often in my position.

Some people are idiots. Most of those idiots wear burnt orange.
Agzonfire
Just ordered a new quality fire extinguisher for my new home to hang in the garage due to this thread. Glad it ended with just a few singed leg hairs and nothing more serious
zooguy96
cupofjoe04 said:

BigHead 04 said:

GentrysMillTX10 said:

It always amazes me when people try to make jokes (which are usually mildly insulting) with people they barely or don't even know at the most inappropriate times. It's exhausting to me, and something I have to deal with quite often in my position.

Some people are idiots. Most of those idiots wear burnt orange.
Or, just orange. Try living in Vol country.... Vol fans still think it's 1998 and they're going 10-2.
UTExan
BigHead 04 said:

Jabin said:

Not really. We all kept thinking maybe a cigarette butt from someone passing.

But that brings me back to the lamp. It's like this one here:

https://www.potterybarn.com/m/products/stacked-crystal-floor-lamp/

And my theory now is that the crystal balls acted like a magnifying glass and ignited the cardboard while we were sitting still waiting for coffee.
Then when we got up to speed it fanned the ember. Maybe. Who knows.

And yes the plan was to break in the new place with the wife. At least I know the spark is still there!

This. Probably a very underestimated source for starting fires when folks have some device or glass items capable of focusing solar rays. When I was a kid we messed around with a magnifying glass and ended up starting a small grass fire.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
CanyonAg77
AG
Are we to assume that you no longer believe in the healing power of crystals?
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.