Outdoors
Sponsored by

Thieves / Crime doesn't work on Weekends

4,599 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by O.G.
BrazosBQ
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Truck was broken into by a couple of Houston's most upstanding individuals yesterday afternoon. In a hospital parking lot, as I was welcoming kiddo #2 into the world. Happened between 4-5 pm, broad freakin daylight!

Local PD (not Houston PD) shows up and report is filed. Later that night I find the items for sale on Facebook marketplace (seller posted pictures that showed the serial numbers matching my stuff). Immediately I sent the info over to the local PD contact thinking "heck yeah we got the SOBs, or at least our belongings back". I was told by the contact that they'd have it resolved in 24 hours. Have all the info needed and readily available to find the guy, he has quite the social media footprint (license plates galore, fancies himself quite the rapper). All the while in the back of my mind I'm dwelling on the fact not much will probably be done on the prosecution side of things because, well we're in Harris County.

Fast forward to this morning, I talk with the detective on the case and I'm told that they work 1/2 days on Friday (maybe this is just for the holiday). Also seemed to indicate that the hospital wasn't going to be sharing the security footage (figured this was some sort of CYA move on their part). The local PD made an offer to buy our missing items together (which to me would've seemed like a big tip off to the seller), and were turned down. Told them that there was 1 particular item that is of irreplaceable importance that we would like to have, so that they would work that purchase as their angle. He also seemed to think that not much would happen to the criminals even if found thanks to current DA office tendencies. It's now 8:00 pm and the items are still for sale on FB. So now we…wait?

Gave them pretty much everything they needed on a silver platter to show that this was my stuff and/or how to go get the guy, whether or not the seller is actually one of the people that committed the crime.

What are my options here, wait for the long weekend and the thug to sell it to someone else, or be a man and go buy back my own stolen stuff (latter sounds like the most fun but probably least wise option)? Be patient and hope that local law enforcement follows through, or check with HCSO, or Houston PD? Assemble the OB tactical team and ride at dawn?

I plan to share more details once it looks like this gets resolved/becomes unresolvable, but for now forgive me as I try not to give too much away.

Ag_07
AG
If it's stuff you really want I'd buy it back but keep screen shots and/or records of the transaction and hand over to the police when it's done.

This way you get your stuff and it's icing if he gets caught.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
I'd go buy the irreplaceable item back, don't show up in the same car he stole it out of, try really hard not to shoot the a-hole during the transaction and instead focus on getting some info in the meantime that will help get him caught. Paper tag number probably won't help. If you're feeling bold (which you shouldn't, being a new father of two... congrats! ) and have the detectives number, you could follow the ahole after the transaction and call the detective and let him know what you were into, and maybe he'd come help you. You'd have to have a good feel for what kinda dude the detective is to take this path
Animal Eight 84
AG
Buy it back and pay with counterfeit bills you made on a color copier.
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Be super cautious. Clearly this person acts as if they are above the law.

Don't try to get one over on the thief. It may end up costing you your life.
MouthBQ98
AG
Don't let one crime become more.

However, the temptation to show up with a while bunch of heavily armed and armored friends would be difficult to pass up. Not worth it, even though law enforcement is almost useless.
Sooper Jeenyus
AG
Make an offer they'll obviously accept and let the cops know when/where you intend to retrieve your stuff?
Jason_InfinityRoofer
I've dealt with this MULTIPLE times. Even situations with camera footage of it happening. I mean, you've pretty much done their entire job for them. You could send them a bill. Either way, I don't know the law well enough to comprehend how they can't bust him right there. I love my local LEO's but it is painfully clear many are just regular dudes like you who are simply at their job to get a check and while your stuff is valuable to you, it's just another petty theft to your LEO.

Fun story:

4 months ago, I was able to chase the driver in my truck across two counties, when my Arlo system went off. Every time I crossed the county line on these backroads (low speed), I called the emergency number for help. No help was sent. SAPD straight up told me....

"Are you in pursuit right now?! Sir, you are not an officer. Stop pursuing them immediately. You don't know what they have, and you don't know if they are armed."

I simply informed them that it's one driver and I'll take my chances with my firearm over theirs if need be. They would not help and I hung up.

Once he got on 1604 and 90, the speeds went up. He simply outran my F150. It does not do 90mph+ easily, and the only time I could catch up was when she hit traffic or a light. Then he started running those and driving on the shoulder and I decided that she was going to kill someone so I quit. Wouldn't you know, not a single cop, sheriff, DPS, or rent a cop to be found when he did it.

I'm still pissed off over it. I know they are all busy, but I also know that if I drive 5mph over the speed limit, Barney will be right there to promptly write me a ticket in the name of public safety.

I believe, looking back, that's about as good as it gets and I take comfort knowing that they will do it again, and someone else may rid this planet of them so I don't have to do it.
BrazosBQ
AG
I would add that the irreplaceable item isn't explicitly listed for sale, honestly it was probably tossed. Kinda why an immediate arrest and search of his place would be a nice touch, in the hope that everything turns up. He's got a lot of items listed that are more than likely stolen from other folks.

And don't worry folks not going to go kicking down doors and get into that mess. Will give HCSO non-emergency a try as a starter.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Aggie buddy of mine had his iPad and work bag stolen from his truck while we were at dinner 10 years ago. Perp leaves the device on along with the tracking feature. Despite police report with address of stolen items, HCSO refused to knock on the door or take any other action. Good luck.
Naveronski
AG
Unfortunately if you show up and shoot the guy, you're the one going to jail.

Otherwise, nothing will be done.

****ed up world we're in.
Hewey Calloway
AG
What items is he selling?

I would be tempted to call the police and tell them I'm meeting the guy to purchase my items back. See how they react. Shoot just rob them back. It's not like they're going to do anything about it.
aggiesundevil4
AG
Find his car, break into it, steal his crap, sell it online. Or set his car on fire.
Justice has become a myth not a reality in big cities, it's a bummer and I'm sorry there is something of real value to you that was stolen.
Naveronski
AG
aggiesundevil4 said:

Find his car, break into it, steal his crap, sell it online. Or set his house on fire.
Justice has become a myth not a reality in big cities.

EMY92
AG
1ags from the Auto board had his tailgate stolen. He found the tailgate, location and all and sent it to the Harris Co. Sheriff's office. They didn't care. They did tell him if he took the tailgate back from the thieves, he would be charged for doing so.

The major counties in Texas are as pro-criminal as anywhere else in the country.
ShouldastayedataTm
Post a comment on the sale ad that it is stolen property and that report has been filed. Anyone purchasing it will be dealing with stolen property. Might help stop a sale. About the only payback you might have in this situation given the officers lack of interest.
maroon barchetta
Naveronski said:

aggiesundevil4 said:

Find his car, break into it, steal his crap, sell it online. Or set his house on fire.
Justice has become a myth not a reality in big cities.

It's probably not his car and he definitely doesn't have a house. No way.
AggieJames09
AG
I'm in the minority. I would ask to meet him away from his home to buy the items. Then myself and a couple buddies would just beat the crap out of him, let him know this is my stuff you stole and leave. I'm not best for advice in these situations. I hate thieves, have no faith in our government or system.
Rattler12
BrazosBQ said:

Truck was broken into by a couple of Houston's most upstanding individuals yesterday afternoon. In a hospital parking lot, as I was welcoming kiddo #2 into the world. Happened between 4-5 pm, broad freakin daylight!

Local PD (not Houston PD) shows up and report is filed. Later that night I find the items for sale on Facebook marketplace (seller posted pictures that showed the serial numbers matching my stuff). Immediately I sent the info over to the local PD contact thinking "heck yeah we got the SOBs, or at least our belongings back". I was told by the contact that they'd have it resolved in 24 hours. Have all the info needed and readily available to find the guy, he has quite the social media footprint (license plates galore, fancies himself quite the rapper). All the while in the back of my mind I'm dwelling on the fact not much will probably be done on the prosecution side of things because, well we're in Harris County.

Fast forward to this morning, I talk with the detective on the case and I'm told that they work 1/2 days on Friday (maybe this is just for the holiday). Also seemed to indicate that the hospital wasn't going to be sharing the security footage (figured this was some sort of CYA move on their part). The local PD made an offer to buy our missing items together (which to me would've seemed like a big tip off to the seller), and were turned down. Told them that there was 1 particular item that is of irreplaceable importance that we would like to have, so that they would work that purchase as their angle. He also seemed to think that not much would happen to the criminals even if found thanks to current DA office tendencies. It's now 8:00 pm and the items are still for sale on FB. So now we…wait?

Gave them pretty much everything they needed on a silver platter to show that this was my stuff and/or how to go get the guy, whether or not the seller is actually one of the people that committed the crime.

What are my options here, wait for the long weekend and the thug to sell it to someone else, or be a man and go buy back my own stolen stuff (latter sounds like the most fun but probably least wise option)? Be patient and hope that local law enforcement follows through, or check with HCSO, or Houston PD? Assemble the OB tactical team and ride at dawn?

I plan to share more details once it looks like this gets resolved/becomes unresolvable, but for now forgive me as I try not to give too much away.

If you think it's bad in Harris county don't move to Karnes Co. A lifelong buddy called me last night about a break in at his house where three guns were stolen. He has a camera on the back porch and has pictures of the guy breaking in and leaving with the guns. My buddy knows the guys name and that he lives in Beeville. He reported it to Karnes CO sheriff's dept and was told "that's insufficient evidence for a conviction so we're not even going to bother." WTF?
Yesterday
AG
Had multiple items stolen from one of my stores. Had video of them doing it. Had video of the license plate. Gave it all to Fort Worth detective. Nothing happened. Had a PI give me all the information provided from the license plate. Found one of the perps on Facebook who was bragging about the new laptop they just bought. Which was stolen from my store.

Contacted the detective to tell him and he told me they have a warrant and will eventually arrested. Never got my merchandise back and doubt she was ever arrested.
BrazosDog02
AG
I had video footage as well once, and I was told that they could not be arrested if it wasn't real time caught in the act. My thief has a warrant now but they are not going to go knock on his door.

Due process is inconvenient as all **** sometimes.

I also think that cops tell victims that 'if they go steal it back they will be charged' so they can go ahead and mitigate the use of already stretched thin emergency services, most likely needed for the victim if they were to do such a thing. Most victims are not criminals, and if you've never held someone at gunpoint then you probably aren't seasoned enough to successfully retrieve your item without getting hurt or killed.
Jack Squat 83
AG
I'm most surprised about the Karnes County story.

I would blast that story loudly in a small country town where the Chief LEO is an elected Sheriff position. The locals have much more of a direct say in who is "protecting" them and their property. Hold them 100% responsible for doing their job. Saying this based on having another candidate willing to replace them.
IslandAg76
AG
Doesn't help the situation at all but as the illustrious Barack Obama made clear-

Elections have consequences!
AggieGunslinger
AG
Most people need to wake up and realize that most cops are peacocks... they are just there to be seen, not actually do anything. Remember all these stories next time you hear back the blue. I back good cops, not the taxation, clock punching system.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
I think a good first step is to eliminate all law enforcement other than sheriffs
EMY92
AG
I'm shocked from the Karnes Co. story as well.

I'm in a Waco suburb. If I provided that info to my local PD (not Waco), they'd likely have the SWAT team rolling. The cops here have very little to do, it also helps that anyone in town can go to city hall and meet with the city manager or police chief.

Also, the county sheriff is definitely a law and order guy, used to teach CHL classes. If it's in the county, they'll respond quickly.
RAB87
AG
IslandAg76 said:

Doesn't help the situation at all but as the illustrious Barack Obama made clear-

Elections have consequences!
It's damn time to make the 2022 midterms have big consequences. We're sliding into recession, Putin is having his way in Ukraine, Afghans are falling from airplanes, gasoline is $5/gallon and we're dependent on OPEC again, perverts are are teaching our children, mutilated boys are dominating girls sports, our borders are open to sex traffic, and our military is funding sex changes with your tax dollars. All this idiocy has happened on only two years. Can you imagine if Robert Francis, the Real Pendejo, is elected?
RCR06
AG
I'm not a current or past LEO. I think what happens here is that your patrol officers which make up the vast majority of a department aren't allowed to run down these types of things. Detectives are the ones that get assigned to these cases. I imagine they get far more cases than they can handle and have to prioritize them somehow. Not sure how that happens, but I am willing to bet every person thinks their case should be the most important. This is not meant to be an excuse for LEO's. More of how I think it works. I don't think it's a lack of caring by LEO's.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
EMY92 said:

Also, the county sheriff is definitely a law and order guy, used to teach CHL classes. If it's in the county, they'll respond quickly.
That would be Sheriff Parnell McNamara, who does a great job in McLennan County.

Rattler12
Jack Squat 83 said:

I'm most surprised about the Karnes County story.

I would blast that story loudly in a small country town where the Chief LEO is an elected Sheriff position. The locals have much more of a direct say in who is "protecting" them and their property. Hold them 100% responsible for doing their job. Saying this based on having another candidate willing to replace them.
That's exactly what I told him. Go to the 2 county newspapers, call the ABC/CBS and NBC affiliates in SA and get them involved. 2 of the 3 guns stolen were once mine. I sold them to him 40+ years ago.
Jack Squat 83
AG
After thinking some more on this and reflecting on time I served in an elected position, here's what I would do.

First meet with the Sheriff and officers, give them a chance to explain their actions(Sheriff might not know?). If no satisfaction/inaction then I would get on the Agenda at the next Commissioner's Court meeting. (Very important to be on the Agenda so they can discuss and give feedback.). I would contact SA tv and local newspapers in advance since they love a controversy anyway.

Besides getting justice and possibly the guns back the public absolutely needs to know about it.
BigHead 04
AG
I've told this story on here before, but my dad had a handgun stolen maybe 5 years ago out of his locked console by a valet at a nice hotel in Houston. Dumbazz thief left his backpack in the truck….with his drivers license. HPD took hours to show up. Report filed. He has never once been contacted by HPD since. He tried for a long time to call them and get updates. Gave up.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
O.G.
One hates to say this, for fear of sounding like what one sounds like.........but.......if this trend continues, the only recourse people are going to have will be to take matters into their own hands.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.