Outdoors
Sponsored by

Uvalde shoot shooting

66,062 Views | 527 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by B-1 83
BowSowy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
plowboy1065 said:

A buddy of mines niece is one of those that lost her life today. Horrible situation
I can't imagine the pain her parents are going through. Losing my daughter is the worst nightmare I can imagine
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
A Guardian School is where a lot of the teachers and administrators are armed with AR-15s and pistols. They receive training a couple times a year from highly skilled instructors for these very scenarios while training with live rounds. Nobody but the people in the Guardian program know who is armed and they have a plan of action for when something like this takes place.

Having an armed presence on campus to be able to respond instantly, instead of calling in to a rural county deputy and waiting for them to make it to the school from 10 miles away could make all the difference in the world.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Terribleā€¦ real life nightmare
StoneCold99
AG
Dirty-8-thirty Ag said:

A Guardian School is where a lot of the teachers and administrators are armed with AR-15s and pistols. They receive training a couple times a year from highly skilled instructors for these very scenarios while training with live rounds. Nobody but the people in the Guardian program know who is armed and they have a plan of action for when something like this takes place.

Having an armed presence on campus to be able to respond instantly, instead of calling in to a rural county deputy and waiting for them to make it to the school from 10 miles away could make all the difference in the world.

My wife teaches in a Guardian school. As you said, nobody knows who the guardians are, but everyone in the area knows for damn well it is a guardian school. It's almost advertised and it's plastered on signs throughout the campus.

The knowledge of a school being a Guardian school is a deterrent in and of itself.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Max06 said:

This is a WONDERFUL program for schools, available free of charge. If you have kids in school, I encourage you to bring it to the school's/PTA's attention.

https://fastersaveslives.org/
Thanks for sharing this.
TexasAggie73
AG
Scott Sterlings Face said:

I went to my Kindergartener's "field day" today at her school where they just turn everyone loose and have rock wall climbing, games, dunk tanks, bounce houses, etc. This is before I heard about the shooting, and as I am walking up, I am thinking about where I parked my truck and how fast I can get to my gun in the event something like this happens. It is so sad to think this is a legitimate thought in my head walking up to an area where a ton of kids are playing and having fun, but it is something I think about every time I drop her off at school....and we live in a very rural west Texas community.

Then, I hear about the shooting in a meeting this morning and it just tears me up. I find solace in the fact that we just built a brand new elementary school where they can hit a button and lock it down completely. She has come home and said they practiced their "bad guy" drill, but this is apparently the **** we have to explain to our kids. I am glad to have multiple friends on the school board, I will run when it is my time, and I am still friends with teachers that are still there from when I was in school.

Prayers to everyone.
Glad y'all were able to build a new school, unfortunately a lot of the rural schools can't afford new building. The elementary school that I attended in the late 50's is still the most one they use today. This was in Bracketville, only 40 miles from Uvalde.
Alte Schule
There's a billion dollars in unused Covid relief funds that were targeted for schools. That would be a start.
Love Gun
Meanwhile, in Israelā€¦

**** Joe Biden
Aggieangler93
AG
I went to a large graduation event at the Cedar Park Center this evening. It made me leary having to leave my EDC knife in my truck. Let alone any kind of serviceable weapon.

It's almost advertising to the criminals, all the law abiders here have been made easy targets.

I hate that these sorry MFers are preying on kids so often. But making that school a gun free zone is a huge part of the problem in my mind.

I'm so sorry for anyone that lost their kid today to such a horrid event. We are praying for you!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
B-1 83
AG
plowboy1065 said:

A buddy of mines niece is one of those that lost her life today. Horrible situation
I'm waiting to hear the same thing. We lived there too long to not know some of the victims. My son went to Robb many years ago.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a manā€¦ā€¦..no, not really
O.G.
Aggieangler93 said:

I went to a large graduation event at the Cedar Park Center this evening. It made me leary having to leave my EDC knife in my truck. Let alone any kind of serviceable weapon.

It's almost advertising to the criminals, all the law abiders here have been made easy targets.

I hate that these sorry MFers are preying on kids so often. But making that school a gun free zone is a huge part of the problem in my mind.

I'm so sorry for anyone that lost their kid today to such a horrid event. We are praying for you!
All due respect. And yes, I know what the law says.....but......Carry.

Wear a dress jacket in the heat of the summer if you have to, shirt untucked with an IWB holster, carry on your ankle or whatever, but Carry.

Gun free zones do not work. Period. The one cop that they have working most graduations, large churches, etc is going to be the first target and may or may not be competent enough to handle the situation to begin with. Work on carrying deep concealment, but carry.

I know you might think that people will notice, they won't. Most people are oblivious. I've carried standing dead in front of multiple cops in a VERY blue state, and they never notice.

If they have metal detectors etc, see if you can figure out a work around, or whatever, but 90+% of the time, I've been able to carry in soft target areas with the ghostbusters sign. Bigger concert/sports venues with better security & airports are about the only places I can't pull that off. But...luckily those places have a lot of "security" that are also kind enough to have holstered handguns for me to get to..........
docb
AG
Need to have hired armed guards at every school. Teachers job is to teach. If they want to carry a gun so be it but they are not trained nor paid for that responsibility.
txaggie02
AG
docb said:

Need to have hired armed guards at every school. Teachers job is to teach. If they want to carry a gun so be it but they are not trained nor paid for that responsibility.

I'd rather have 6-9 trained teachers at each school than 2 armed guards. Pay the teachers an extra $2500-5000 each vs paying two guards $60k year each and the financials work out too.
reineraggie09
AG
Like many people here, this one hits especially close to home. Loved there for 2 years not that long ago. Know someone with a child in that school. That child is ok. I'm sure I interacted with someone who lost a family member yesterday.

There is evil everywhere. Evil.
docb
AG
txaggie02 said:

docb said:

I'd rather have 6-9 trained teachers at each school than 2 armed guards. Pay the teachers an extra $5000 each vs paying two guards $50-60k year each and the financials work out too.

If you think back to your teachers growing up, do you really think any of those women would be able to confront something like this?
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I'd much rather them have the ability to defend themselves and our children. You'd also be surprised what a decent amount of training can do for people and how effective it can make them.
UTExan
docb said:

txaggie02 said:

docb said:

I'd rather have 6-9 trained teachers at each school than 2 armed guards. Pay the teachers an extra $5000 each vs paying two guards $50-60k year each and the financials work out too.

If you think back to your teachers growing up, do you really think any of those women would be able to confront something like this?

The male teachers I had would.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
ā€œ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard piesā€
HalifaxAg
AG
bigtruckguy3500 said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion here, but I say this as a someone who wants to ensure I can take my children, and hopefully grandchildren, shooting one day. The NRA and all gun rights organizations need to take charge of the gun control debate, and propose something instead of letting the far left lead this debate.
Once again reports of the murderer posting images and plans on social media...

...if Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and the rest can have fact checkers and takedown posts related to anything conservative, WHY can't they be held responsible for not seeing posts like this???

I'm required by law to report any scenario where child abuse might be present to my superiors, or be held criminally liable...WHY can't the same standard be used for signs of mental health with violence potential?
txaggie02
AG
I think there would be a line of teachers from here to Maine, if Texas opened the doors for the defense training of teachers for public schools. The outpouring to defend our kids would be massive.
txaggie02
DiskoTroop
As a facility manager, my mind runs to this:

If there were not fire extinguishers every so many feet, fire egress doors, smoke detection system, sprinkler system, stairwells every so many feet for egress from the second floor, etc. etc. and that school had burned to the ground killing 18 kids, heads would be rolling this morning. Am I wrong? We have a fire codeā€¦

Why do we not have a security code?
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree. I know lots of teachers and administrators that hint and fish all the time like we do, and a are proficient with firearms already. Those woild be the ones likely to sign up for training. Our ISD sucks at many things, but have their own police force, so officers stationed on campus helps with response time averages being very low.
Aggieangler93
AG
O.G. said:

Aggieangler93 said:

All due respect. And yes, I know what the law says.....but......Carry.

Wear a dress jacket in the heat of the summer if you have to, shirt untucked with an IWB holster, carry on your ankle or whatever, but Carry.

Gun free zones do not work. Period. The one cop that they have working most graduations, large churches, etc is going to be the first target and may or may not be competent enough to handle the situation to begin with. Work on carrying deep concealment, but carry.

I know you might think that people will notice, they won't. Most people are oblivious. I've carried standing dead in front of multiple cops in a VERY blue state, and they never notice.

If they have metal detectors etc, see if you can figure out a work around, or whatever, but 90+% of the time, I've been able to carry in soft target areas with the ghostbusters sign. Bigger concert/sports venues with better security & airports are about the only places I can't pull that off. But...luckily those places have a lot of "security" that are also kind enough to have holstered handguns for me to get to..........

Yep, this one had metal detectors at doors. I guess I could have hidden something in my FILs wheel chair. Even in a very conservative county they think folks can't have a pocket knife. How ridiculous.
ShouldastayedataTm
It just gets worse as more details are released. Apparently some of the wait to identify victims for the parents was due to DNA having to be used. Some of the victims were not identifiable. As a father with two daughters that are now teachers I pray everyday that they are having a positive impact on their students everyday and are able to keep their kids safe. Incidents like this make me double down on those prayers.
Max06
AG
Robyn Sandoval posted this and she said it way better than I could.

Quote:

The term "armed teachers" is polarizing and misleading. So, let's phrase it in this way: who in your school will challenge the threat? Even unarmedā€¦ who is going to run towards evil to protect the kids? Is it a coach? Principal? Math teacher? If you know they're going anyway because that's just who they are let's get them some training. Plain and simple: let's help them succeed.

And then let's make sure there are medical supplies in the school and staff know what to do with them to save lives until police clear the building for the paramedics to get in. We can all agree on this, right?

Thousands of schools in Ohio have already put this in place. There is a wonderful program called FASTERSavesLives and I've seen the training first hand.

Here is the press release that FASTER sent out this morning. I urge you to encourage your school administrators to learn more.

Blue Creek, Ohio Once again we find our nation devastated by the loss of too many innocent lives. Another school killing. Innocent children slaughtered. Families destroyed. Brave teachers facing a murderous individual unarmed. How many times must this replay before those in charge listen to our nation's experts and take concrete steps to save kid's lives rather simply giving lip service to nonsense that plays well in the media?

Police cannot stop school killers in time. It's not their job. Schools have custody, and a duty to protect the kids in their care, not the police. We certainly need the police, and they will get there as fast as they can, but it won't be in time. We saw just that in Robb Elementary School yesterday, and too many other times before.

In the past 16 hours, we have talked to many school staff in Ohio, Texas and beyond. They are sad, frustrated, broken, and angry. They envision their own schools being targeted. They weep for those lost because it is personal to them. They are frustrated at school boards and others that won't educate themselves on true security. The only way you get dozens killed and injured is when your only plan is to wait on outside help.

The solutions are here, we just need schools and politicians to prioritize and implement. Nearly 10 years ago our foundation partnered with topic experts like John Benner at Tactical Defense Institute, Andrew Blubaugh at APEX Training, Dr. Brian Springer Wright State Division of Tactical Medicine and Lt. Col. Dave Grossman at the Grossman academy. Experts who had previously spent decades studying active killer events in and out of schools. Experts who had already trained thousands of our nation's elite law enforcement and military personnel on how to handle these events ONCE THEY ARRIVE.

Together, we built the FASTER Saves Lives program to give schools the opportunity to save lives while waiting on the professionals to arrive. In the 10 years since Sandy Hook Elementary, we have trained nearly 3,000 school staff in 300 districts across 20 states and have saved multiple lives. Parents need to insist school boards have real security. They need multiple overlapping layers of protection against violence, just like they have for fire. They need people trained in expedient trauma medical care and they need a few staff members properly trained and armed to stop the killer as quickly as possible. Anything less is not acceptable in today's world.

We know there are dedicated, determined and devoted people inside every school building in these United States. It is time schools and communities give them the tools and training needed to save lives in the future. It is time for our school staff to live for our kids, not die for them.
tandy miller
AG
Have they released who the guns belonged to? That kid apparently had been posting guns on is social media, and one of them is like a $3k daniel defense w/ eotech. Where does a kid that age get that kind of money?
FJB
cavscout96
AG
docb said:

when you have children in your charge, their safety is, most certainly, your responsibility.

do schools have separate fire marshals to make sure students know how to conduct fire evacuation drills? Last I checked, fire and tornado drills were supervised by... teachers.

arming staff and teachers is an extension of their inherent responsibility to ensure their students' safety.

Get Off My Lawn
txaggie02 said:

docb said:

I'd rather have 6-9 trained teachers at each school than 2 armed guards. Pay the teachers an extra $2500-5000 each vs paying two guards $60k year each and the financials work out too.
Our church (smaller than most elementary schools) has a posted guard in front of the kids' area (controls access and is kitted + armed), a roving guard, and a program for members who want to train together and carry in service. They've briefed non-participating members on how best to stay out of the way. It's a multi-layer approach to deter or quickly stop attacks.

Would it be nice not to worry about and fund defense in depth? Yes. But reality is showing that the flower-child posture isn't producing the desired results, so it's well past time to face reality and replace signage with real layers of security.
AustinCountyAg
As someone who's worked in public education I am 100% on board with the guardian program. If their are teachers who willingly want to carry at school and go through the proper trainings I have no idea why this would be discouraged.

On top of that the overwhelming amount of school resource officers I see instill zero confidence that they could subdue and eliminate a legit threat in their school.
El Chupacabra
tandy miller said:

Have they released who the guns belonged to? That kid apparently had been posting guns on is social media, and one of them is like a $3k daniel defense w/ eotech. Where does a kid that age get that kind of money?
Credit cards? Knowing he would be dead or in prison soon, I'm guessing he didn't care too much about debt.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I know several (female) teachers who have CHLs.

It is completely insane we trust them to carry in the grocery store, church, and everywhere else in public but disarm them at work.

Drawing a magical line around schools and saying "bad things aren't allowed to happen here" doesn't work. I wish it did. It doesn't.

A good first step would be to allow teachers who already have CHLs to protect themselves and the children in their charge at school like we trust them to do so everywhere else. Several Texas school districts have been doing so for years with no issues. No "what ifs" needed. We know losers go after soft targets, and we have a history of success with armed teachers in some districts already.

As for what the rest of us can do: get involved with raising good kids, at any level possible. Mass shooters tend to be broken kids with a history of trouble. I know thats not as easy of a response as "omg we need more restrictive laws that murderers will totally not break this time", but its past time to reconnect with our neighbors, our communities, and try to do better for everyone in whatever way we can. We can't eradicate evil but any bit of light we can add helps push away the darkness.

I also wish media would stop broadcasting their names/faces/manifestos. These tend to be warped losers who feel their only chance of success and fame is to be immortalized as a monster. Stop giving them what they want.

Hugging my kids real tight today.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Being reported that all the kids were in one 4th grade class. If have a 4th grader. I cannot understand such evil.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

Being reported that all the kids were in one 4th grade class. If have a 4th grader. I cannot understand such evil.
Such an unspeakable act of evil.
JSKolache
AG
docb said:

This is really the only immediate need that will have a concrete impact.

If your district has a big shiny football stadium but doesn't have security guards at every school then you need to call/demand an emergency school board meeting ASAP & make a change. Gun policies won't make schools safe.
drummer0415
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

I know several (female) teachers who have CHLs.

It is completely insane we trust them to carry in the grocery store, church, and everywhere else in public but disarm them at work.

Drawing a magical line around schools and saying "bad things aren't allowed to happen here" doesn't work. I wish it did. It doesn't.

My wife is one of those you just described exactly, and the fact that she is a sitting duck on a daily basis once she goes to work doesn't sit very well with me.

Then add in the fact that starting next school year, BOTH of my own kids will also be in that school, and yeah, it really upsets me that she can't even attempt to defend them or herself.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.