Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fished the jetties out of Galveston

3,388 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by FirefightAg
FirefightAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Had an invite from the group of guys I've been working with and took the opportunity. I'm not much for shark fishing but I'll have to say a 70inch bull shark that fought for 45 minutes was pretty intense. Fished the rocks with light tackle 1st then hit the big reels

KRamp90
AG
Looks like a great trip, but why keep a shark?
FirefightAg
AG
To eat, like I said I wasn't much for the shark fishing but they said they eat good. Baked em, and they were a very neutral flavor that mostly tasted like the seasoning and butter

OnlyForNow
AG
WTF keep a jack C?

Keeping sharks sure, (1 per person right?) but a Jack? yuck.
FirefightAg
AG
Ha, OFN I think it was going to be shark bait later
ratfacemcdougal
Shark = Yum !
SpicyAg
AG
Oh man you can make so many sick shark tooth necklaces now
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Did you save the jaws?
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
FirefightAg
AG
Funky Winkerbean said:

Did you save the jaws?

Yes
AG
KRamp90 said:

Somebody has never grilled shark steaks
Cen-Tex
AG
I just remember reading the reports about high mercury levels in sharks and other ocean fish.
AggieGunslinger
AG
You typically need to be eating high mercury fish every day.
patters10
AG
KRamp90 said:

I think you meant to say, why keep a bull red?? Breeders that taste like boot leather, but that's Outkast charters "Monsta" dock shot for you!
tmaggies
AG
Looks like a great trip and enjoy your table fare!
MaxPower
I remember a story my dad told me about fishing with my Grampa somewhere near lake Jackson in the 60's. They caught a massive gar and were gonna toss it out when another feller asks them, "Hey you gonna keep that?" My Grampa said, "Of course not, it's a gar." The other feller responded, "Nah, that's a catfish" with a big wink and a grin.
FirefightAg
AG
patters10 said:

KRamp90 said:

I think you meant to say, why keep a bull red??
Breeders that taste like boot leather, but that's Outkast charters "Monsta" dock shot for you!

No complaints there either, it was a little firmer than a slot red, but was just fine on the grill half shell over coals

dr_boogs
AG
Sheepies are the best eating in that catch! Great post thanks for sharing.
TikkaShooter
Quote:

I think you meant to say, why keep a bull red??

Bc the man had a TX lic. that allows for an over to be kept.

Conservation work has led to the current state of the red fish pop in Texas, so a guy can fight and keep an over. Not sure why that's frowned upon.
OnlyForNow
AG
Ha! True that. I've cleaned a JC before and thought no way in hell am I eating this thing.
FirefightAg
AG
This is a rough crowd, not what the OB once was, no wonder so many avoid posts
giddings_ag_06
AG
FirefightAg said:

Yea, too many people try to one up or belittle too much instead of just saying good job.

Looks like a great time.
Ogre09
AG
Thanks for sharing !
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Keep doing you! Nothing wrong with your post and actual outdoor content is always appreciated.
MouthBQ98
AG
Nice catch. As long as they're legal and eaten, there's no problem with keeping anything. That's good eating prepared properly, though you might grow extra chest hair from all the testosterone in that bull shark.
TRIDENT
AG
dr_boogs said:

dr_boogs knows what's good
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
TRIDENT said:

dr_boogs said:

I kept them all the time as a kid until my mom started to make me fillet my own fish. Then I got awful choosy about throwing most of them back.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
mAgnoliAg
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

TRIDENT said:

dr_boogs said:

I kept them all the time as a kid until my mom started to make me fillet my own fish. Then I got awful choosy about throwing most of them back.

Yeah they're a ***** we've been catching them a lot lately and we keep them because we haven't done much of anything else besides a few reds
Hungry Ojos
FirefightAg said:

I love looking at pics of all kinds of saltwater catches. Keep it up and thanks for posting!
TarponChaser
How did that bull shark taste? I've had shark steaks and they're good but it's always been blacktips, IIRC. I've always heard that bulls are nasty due to the excessive amounts of urea in the flesh. Maybe if they're properly bled and the meat soaked to leach out the urea/ammonia taste/smell.
Tumble Weed
Saltwater fishing has ruined me for life. Now I am going to spend the rest of the day thinking about fishing.

What were you using for bait? How were your fishing lines set up?
RCR06
AG
I always find it interesting to hear what people think are good eating fish or not. Shark has a reputation among those that don't know as not tasting very good, same with bull reds. I've had both and think they're good, but it's hard to overcome some of those reputations that people pass around. Many without ever trying it themselves.
Dallasag517
AG
Outstanding catch! I can't wait to get back down to the coast.
TarponChaser
RCR06 said:

I always find it interesting to hear what people think are good eating fish or not. Shark has a reputation among those that don't know as not tasting very good, same with bull reds. I've had both and think they're good, but it's hard to overcome some of those reputations that people pass around. Many without ever trying it themselves.

It's not so much that bulls are bad just that they're not as good as slot reds.

Plus, while it's legal there's typically a conservation-minded ethos about C&R with bulls since they're your breeder fish as reds don't become sexually mature until they're about 28-30" in size.

Similarly, smaller black drum (a/k/a "puppy drum") under say 10# or so are delicious table fare. Much over that they tend to get really wormy and nasty.

Sheepshead are a PITA to clean but they're delicious.

If you really want to fill an ice chest with delicious fish I would highly recommend hitting the jetties with small chunks of raw squid (it's tough & rubbery which helps cut down on bait thieves) and target sheepies and/or mangrove snapper. You can keep 5 sheepshead per day over 15" and there's no size or bag limits on mangrove snapper which, IMHO, eat as good as red snapper.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
FirefightAg said:

It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
P.U.T.U
AG
I need to go offshore fishing, been around 20 years since I last went I besides the shark I can't tell you what any of those are
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.